Ati Radeon 9600 resources

65 posts in this topic

Afraydo. AGP is the tipe of bus ,lets just say that the pci bus runs like 3 times slower wich doesnt let you to run things that are acelerated (3d,

fullscreen things like that).So even if you do not play games like Call

of duty 2 this is good even if you do not understand totally, believe me AGP IS BETTER THAN PCI.

hope that helps.

Thanks I just have one final question: Do I have to have a certain hardware configuration for AGP or PCI or is it just a simple matter of getting a AGP card and getting it enabled on the computer? Right now my card's bus type is PCI, does that mean I won't be able to get this card working on my computer without further modification? And thanks to everyone answering all of my questions, I'm new and it's nice to know that people are wiling to take time and help out their community.

Thanks I just have one final question: Do I have to have a certain hardware configuration for AGP or PCI or is it just a simple matter of getting a AGP card and getting it enabled on the computer? Right now my card's bus type is PCI, does that mean I won't be able to get this card working on my computer without further modification? And thanks to everyone answering all of my questions, I'm new and it's nice to know that people are wiling to take time and help out their community.

You need to have an AGP slot in your motherboard and have an AGP card plugged into it. Look inside your computer, you should have 3-5 PCI slots and one AGP slot - similar, positioned a bit further away from the edge.

If you don't have AGP slot (i doubt it, unless your computer is quite old), you'll not be able to use AGP card

I sadly had no luck with ifreedy's hack. It does seem like it is working for other people. So most likely my issue is something else or user error :). I have JaS 10.4.7, Callisto .008, and AGPGart 2.0 lite.

Here is my info.

Radeon 9600XT AR:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9600XT AR

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4152

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

NEC FP950:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

As you can see the bus is still set to PCI. Interesting though ioreg shows up nothing about AGP. I don't know if it should or not. So maybe it is just nothing.

jaywhy-computer:~ jaywhy$ ioreg -l | grep agp -i

jaywhy-computer:~ jaywhy$

Anyone have any ideas. I'm clueless. Thanks.

iFreddy

Could you tell me how to install the Callisto and AGPGART 2,0 Light I just dont know how to install these drivers.

This is my card

Name RADEON 9600 SERIES

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_2066148C&REV_00\4&38B71F77&0&0008

Adapter Type ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9600 SERIES

Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6631

INF File oem4.inf (ati2mtag_RV350 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xEFFFFFFF

I/O Port 0x00009800-0x000098FF

Memory Address 0xFF820000-0xFF82FFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Thanks in advance.

whiteboy,

You can get Callisto from here.

http://omni.starchaser.org/callisto/

I'm not sure where to get AGPGart. However a search of the forums will work.

To install Callisto follow the instructions that come with it. The basic ideas for installing Callisto kexts files is basically the same for AGPGart. So I don't think you'll have a tough time after you've followed those instructions once. I didn't, if so post another message.

hi guys,

i've read some of us have encountered some problems when trying my method.Sorry I can't help you, it worked perfectly for me at first time,and so did for most of us.If you actually can't get your ati 9600 working as it should,please let me know and i'll try to help you solve any of your matters,even if i'm quite busy with high school at the moment.anyway,i'll try my best for those of you who really need help.About Callisto,installation is really easy and a simple guide is also present in any of the packages.I tried 003,006 and 008 and every of them worked finely in the very same way.About AGPGart,there's a post about it.I suggest you Lite 2.0 unless you own a non-Intel (i.e. AMD) chipset,also installing AGPGart is quite easy.Just follow the instructions i posted some posts ago.Hope they're clear enough.Lemme know if anything's wrong for any of you.C U

Federico aka iFreddy

Hey Ifreddy

I have the exact video card you do so I just copyed your text and pasted it in mine but I dont get to change my resolution. How can I do this? I only installed AGPGART 2.0 Light and the way I repaired it was through the disk utility. Is that correct way? Please help me get this card working thanks.

These are my settings. See it still thinks its a PCI card when it is a AGP card.

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x4150

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Well, I have an ATI9600XT, I tried my best but still could not turn on QE and CI. :idea:

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

My system is 10.4.7 JaS DVD. AGPGart Unviersal 2.0 (this is the only version works for me) and Callisto b008 were used. I replace the IOPCIFamily.kext to version 1.7 from 10.4.3 but no luck. I also replaced the ATIRadeon9700*.kexts from 10.4.6 to the kexts from 10.4.5 and installed koverg patch. The ID number and IOProviderClass key sting are also change.

Could anybody tell me why I still could not turn on CI and QE? Thanks a lot. :poster_oops:

as explained in omni's walkthrough guide, callisto drivers do not provide QE/CI automatically. To get them enabled you have to edit the info.plist file inside the extension (/System/Library/Extensions) ATIRADEON9700GA.plugin this way on:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>ATIRadeon9700GA</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>ATIRadeon9700GA 1.4.26.11 (3493)</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.ATIRadeon9700GA</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>ATI Radeon9700 Graphics Driver</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>1.4.26</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>4.2.6</string>
<key>CFPlugInDynamicRegistration</key>
<string>NO</string>
<key>CFPlugInFactories</key>
<dict>
	<key>1002514c-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>
	<string>ATIRadeon9700GAFactory</string>
</dict>
<key>CFPlugInTypes</key>
<dict>
	<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>
	<array>
		<string>1002514c-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>
	</array>
</dict>
<key>NSExecutable</key>
<string>ATIRadeon9700GA</string>
<key>Personality</key>
<dict>
	<key>IOProviderClass</key>
	<string>CallistoFB</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

hope it is clear enough: you have just to edit the key IOProviderClass with CallistoFB string instead of IONDRVFramebuffer or something like this. Let me know if anything is not clear for any of you.Remember also that the AGPGart Lite doesn't seem to be working on any computer,maybe the final result depends on the mobo you own.Still we don't know clearly.Anyway i see it worked for me entering that string in AGPGart info.plist file,and so it did for most of us. Bye

Federico

Ifreddy thanks mate I got the card working properly now. Do know how I might improve QuickTime Performance. I runs a bit choppy or is this a known problem with osx86?

hi mate:i'm very glad you got your bloody 9600 to work (yes,bloody but also smooth enough,luckily :)) about quicktime,i know nothing.or better,i've never heard anything about any matter of that kind.It runs sweetly on my system,with a/v controls enabled and everything working fine:no crash at all,for me...yet :) maybe some of us could help you if you'd describe any better your problem with qt...let us know :)

hi whiteboy .

this is a guide to install callisto properly, made by Phoenix 3200.

wich is very good you just have to type on a Terminal.

This will give you change of resolutions.

here it is :

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=21182

saludos desde Chile.

greetings from Chile.

at the end of the world

i'm running 10.4.7 with Callisto b008 & AGPGART Beta2

But CI & QE not running As u can see..........

Radeon 9600XT AR:

Displays:

COMPAQ V710:

I edited Info.plist in ATIRadeon9700.plugin like iFreddy_91 said & changed the key IOProviderClass with CallistoFB string instead of IONDRVFramebuffer but still no CI & QE

PLZZZZ help me here

very sorry for you,i can't work out what hasn't worked for you with so little information...maybe i couldn't figure it out even with some info,but maybe they should be useful...if you're sure you made all right as i wrote,and in the end you repaired permissions and removed mkext and kextcache,then it should be something harder to solve.Let me know.

When you edit info.plist then you gotta launch an instance of terminal and do so:

sudo -s (enter pswd when asked for)
cd /System/Library/Extensions (strike enter)
chmod -R 755 ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (strike enter)
chown -R root:wheel ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (strike enter)
rm /System/Library/Extensions.* (strike enter)
reboot (strike enter)

your computer will reboot.if everythings goes fine,you should get QE/CI and everything after.again,let me know.

Thx Freedy i got it to work with AGPGART 1.1 with your modified Info.plist

But mouse still got this bad stick when scroll or stuff u know what i mean...

Radeon 9600XT AR:

Displays:

COMPAQ V710:

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Very glad you two got QE and CI and also Q2DE (remember,you'd better disable Beamsync when enabling Q2DE,to get better performances). Also glad my guide worked for both of you. now,for what we call mouse tearing there's not any solution working,yet.Or better,not a nice working solution.Search in the forum about MousePosé,we spoke about it once,but i'm not using it as i think it just does worse than mouse tearing.Some of us like it,instead.Please,search the forum as i can't be that useful about this,as i decided to keep mouse tearing and the whole artifacts until a real way to solve it gets out.Regards,

Federico :2cents:

I wanna add an info that may help some one to get a clue for this....

When i used AGPGART 2.0 + callisto B008 i got AGP & there was no mouse tearing but there was no CI & QE too....

But with AGPGART 1.1 + callisto B008 i got AGP, CI & QE but got mouse tearing..

I wish it can help somewone to make AGPGART 2.1 or something...

• 2 weeks later...

I have ATI Radeon 9600 and I can't get QE to work, no matter what I have tried. It definitely doesn't work out of the box. I have tried the koverg patch with the 10.4.5 Radeon drivers, tried adding my PCI ID to the Info.plist, and it won't work. saddam lennon's first post of this topic says that QE should work out of the box, so I am wondering why it doesn't. Do I have a different version of the card? Or is it because of my motherboard? I have a card with DevID 4151, vendor 1002. Should it work with QE?

thanks,

-Jim