nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
    • Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems?
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK?
  2. 2. Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

• 100% on
    • Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i
    • Series 6 - 650i, 680i
    • 90% on
    • Series 6 - 650i or 680i
    • 80% on
    • 70% on
    • 60% on
    • 50% on
    • < 50% on
    • Acceptably on 610i or 630i
  3. 3. Is your Lion system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x

436 posts in this topic

I realized that I missed version 2 when I was trying the FakeSMC kexts, so I loaded that one up. Didn't solve the still waiting for root device issue, so I went to load back into 32 bit mode and I can't do it. I've tried safe mode and -v -f -x. I booted into single user mode and deleted the FakeSMC kext, but I still can't boot at all. Hangs for an extremely long time after ACPI_SMC_Platform timeout, and then sometimes will say "resetting IOcatalogue" but won't do anything after that. I didn't change anything other than the FakeSMC kext, so I don't understand why it won't boot at all. I figured maybe it was a permissions issue, so i booted back into single user mode and changed permissions on the entire drive. (found a tip on google) However, it didn't work and I still can't boot the system.

I know that the /E/E directory was copied exactly from SL, but the /S/L/E directory wasn't because it had kexts in it that i figured would be replaced with the new OS (ie. NVHAL, firewire kexts, etc.) I did not copy the entire /Extra directory though.

If you can figure out a way to make this boot, I could try the new imk.ATA kext as well as copying the entire /Extra directory straight from the time machine backup drive.

Once again, thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

I suggest the following:

1. Set up Snow Leopard running in 64bit mode on a GPT/HFS+ HDD with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 or r1200 as the installed bootloader and the correct org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist for your CPU, and confirm 64 bit operation by typing uname -a in Terminal to check for xnu-1699.22.73~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

2. Set up a clean, empty target OS X Lion volume on a GPT/HFS+ HDD with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 or r1200 as the installed bootloader, and copy across the entire contents of the SL /Extra directory into the Lion /Extra directory.

3. Install OS X Lion using the USB flash drive installer.

Just read through the entire guide! Good job! I've been up and running on my P5N-D for awhile now on 10.6.8, but haven't really tried getting everything running 64-bit since up until recently, ApplenForceATA has been problematic. I'll try getting Lion up and running sometime this week or weekend and will post any success stories. My current specs are in my sig.

A question concerning the [PCI Configuration begin] problem:

Over this past weekend, I installed a PCI NIC (Rosewill RC-401-EX) since the builtin ethernet using eno's kext was giving me some issues. When I installed this NIC, I saw the [PCI Configuration begin] for the first time. For a moment, I thought my bootup had frozen, but it boot up just fine. It simply wouldn't show any messages after "[PCI Configuration begin]" was shown.

I'm assuming I will also have this issue with Lion, so I was going to attempt some of the fixes you mentioned, but what's odd about my situation is that I can still boot and use my machine just fine. [PCI Configuration begin] is the last thing shown on the screen (in verbose mode), but the machine never actually freezes. Had I been in GUI mode for bootup, I would have never noticed this. Any ideas why mine still boots, but other reports are complete freezes?

Just read through the entire guide! Good job! I've been up and running on my P5N-D for awhile now on 10.6.8, but haven't really tried getting everything running 64-bit since up until recently, ApplenForceATA has been problematic. I'll try getting Lion up and running sometime this week or weekend and will post any success stories. My current specs are in my sig.

A question concerning the [PCI Configuration begin] problem:

Over this past weekend, I installed a PCI NIC (Rosewill RC-401-EX) since the builtin ethernet using eno's kext was giving me some issues. When I installed this NIC, I saw the [PCI Configuration begin] for the first time. For a moment, I thought my bootup had frozen, but it boot up just fine. It simply wouldn't show any messages after "[PCI Configuration begin]" was shown.

I'm assuming I will also have this issue with Lion, so I was going to attempt some of the fixes you mentioned, but what's odd about my situation is that I can still boot and use my machine just fine. [PCI Configuration begin] is the last thing shown on the screen (in verbose mode), but the machine never actually freezes. Had I been in GUI mode for bootup, I would have never noticed this. Any ideas why mine still boots, but other reports are complete freezes?

Glad you like my OS X Lion install guide..... ;)

I have replied to your post in my Snow Leopard thread about Ethernet issues.......I have had no problems using eno's nForceLAN.kext (v 0.64.5), nor with my Netgear GA311 PCI NIC........all that is needed is to put the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from 10.6.8 in the PlugIns folder of the Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext, from which it is/was missing i.e. no longer included in the OS X Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext.....

Regarding the [PCI Configuration begin] problem, there are two distinct issues with different solutions:

Case 1. Computer freeze at PCI Bus Start message, [PCI Configuration begin].....

The apparent solution is given by THe KING in the Project OS X Forum in the Hp/compaq Mini 311, HP/Compaq Mini 311 Development topic (post #328)......it involves a DSDT mod......the _BBN method must be removed from the PCI0 device and added to the IXVE bridge and root ports, and FakeSMC plugins removed too.....

Case 2. There is a display freeze after "PCI Configuration Begin" but booting continues with a problem until the Desktop shows, meaning that you can no longer use Single User Mode nor follow the boot process in verbose mode.......nor see anything else onscreen until the Desktop appears......

My post #4 Issue 1 deals with Case 2......

Hi Verdant.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's been a rough work week. I've managed to get Lion up and running by formatting the drive I want to install to, installing again from USB stick, and then copying /Extra folder from time machine backup to the lion HD. Boot time is fast and has no kernel panics. I have an issue though.

I can't get networking/internet access to work. Kextstat shows nforceLAN kext loaded. I also see it load and identify the MAC address of the NIC, but it doesn't actually acquire an IP address or do any of the things that it would do in SL.

I've cleared all the startup kext caches and things in that startup folder already.

chameleon.boot.plist has a key and string value of EthernetBuiltIn and Yes

Once again, I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

EDIT: I fixed it. I had to go into the network connection settings and then it randomly detected the two ethernet ports and connected to the router. I hope I don't have to do that every boot...

Thank you so much, next paycheck I think I'm going to donate to the nforce osx cause :D

Hi Verdant.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's been a rough work week. I've managed to get Lion up and running by formatting the drive I want to install to, installing again from USB stick, and then copying /Extra folder from time machine backup to the lion HD. Boot time is fast and has no kernel panics. I have an issue though.

I can't get networking/internet access to work. Kextstat shows nforceLAN kext loaded. I also see it load and identify the MAC address of the NIC, but it doesn't actually acquire an IP address or do any of the things that it would do in SL.

I've cleared all the startup kext caches and things in that startup folder already.

chameleon.boot.plist has a key and string value of EthernetBuiltIn and Yes

Once again, I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

EDIT: I fixed it. I had to go into the network connection settings and then it randomly detected the two ethernet ports and connected to the router. I hope I don't have to do that every boot...

Thank you so much, next paycheck I think I'm going to donate to the nforce osx cause :)

Hi there,

No problem - just good to see that you finally managed to get OS X Lion properly installed and working...... :)

As for networking, try the following:

[1] Go to System Preferences >>>> Network......select your Network Service i.e. Ethernet or AirPort in the sidebar and click the '-' tab at the sidebar bottom, which will delete the service

[2] Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist by adding in the following:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

[3] Reboot into OS X Lion and again go to System Preferences >>>> Network......but now click the '+' tab at the sidebar bottom, to add a new Network Service named Ethernet (en0) for your onboard LAN service.....

Any and all support for the nforce osx cause will be very much appreciated......... :)

Writing OS X installation guides for nForce MOBOs now that nVidia have now stopped making MOBO chipsets after their lost battle with Intel is seen by many as a lost cause.....

The majority view being that nForce MOBO owners show go with the tide and switch to Intel MOBOs.......the same view is held of AMD CPU MOBO owners......

My view is that installing and using OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion on nForce chipset MOBOs should be viewed as a victory not a curse....LOL

When my nForce MOBO finally dies on me, I may have to switch to a real secondhand Intel MacPro because by that time I suspect the installers for OS X OS's after Lion may only download and install on an Apple branded computer......

I hear ya. They're eventually going to lock it down. They still got their $30 from me for the software though, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

On another note, do you think you could recommend a PCI-e Firewire card that you think will work with Lion and all four cpu cores? The onboard firewire causes both SL and Lion to freeze after a few minutes. Which chipset would you recommend? VIA, TI, or something else?

I was looking at this one, not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but it's the Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

I hear ya. They're eventually going to lock it down. They still got their $30 from me for the software though, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

On another note, do you think you could recommend a PCI-e Firewire card that you think will work with Lion and all four cpu cores? The onboard firewire causes both SL and Lion to freeze after a few minutes. Which chipset would you recommend? VIA, TI, or something else?

I was looking at this one, not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but it's the Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

I hope getting their $30 will be enough......I always buy the OS Retail Installer to be fair to Apple in the sense that they are not losing out by my not buying a real Mac and using a Hack instead, since the reality is that I cannot afford to buy a new Mac Pro anyhow......and my buying a secondhand/thirdhand real Mac instead of using my Hack would not generate any further income for Apple.....

On the Firewire issue, I would recommend a TI chipset card.......

Information from M-Audio FireWire Series FAQ's

FireWire was developed by a partnership of Apple, Texas Instruments, and several other companies. FireWire is a great method for transferring streaming data like audio and video, which require a lot of bandwidth and CANNOT have the signal interrupted without serious degradation to the signal. Because this format was developed by Apple, the architecture is optimized for Apple systems. Some PC manufacturers don’t do as well as others integrating this technology. PC’s base their architecture on a system of interrupts, and typically use synchronous data transfer. FireWire uses asynchronous data transfer, or a specialized version of asynchronous data transfer called isochronous data transfer. Synchronous transfer will guarantee that data packages will be delivered, but will not guarantee that they will be delivered at a certain time. Asynchronous transfer guarantees that packages will be delivered at a certain time, but if there is interference or delay, the packages may be dropped and will not be re-sent. This means that no data will be lost when using synchronous mode, but it could happen that packages are delivered late because they are re-sent if they are lost for some reason. For audio, it's useless if packages arrive late. Late audio is delayed audio and pauses in the audio. The guarantee that audio is delivered on-time is what s important to digital audio; and that's why FireWire audio devices use the asynchronous transfer. Any lost packages will appear as audio drop outs. So, as you can see it is important that FireWire data is not interrupted. However, PC architecture (ACPI) is built on the concept of interrupts. While the interrupts of Windows systems may be problematic, firewire audio can operate efficiently if the data is managed correctly. This is where the FireWire controller chipset is VERY important. Because timing is so important, there are many controls which manage the FireWire bus to ensure the high transfer rate. The FireWire controller must initialize and release FireWire devices connected to the computer, communicate with all FireWire devices connected to the bus, assist those devices in dedicating a single clock for the timing of the entire FireWire bus, manage the electrical power distributed to the devices, construct a hierarchy of device priority in the system, and manage the data being transferred. There are several FireWire chipset developers that build chips that are significantly cheaper than Texas Instruments, and for this reason, PC manufacturers are starting to use these less expensive chipsets. Unfortunately, many of these other chipsets are not as reliable as those manufactured by Texas Instruments. M-Audio cannot simply say only use Texas Instruments chipsets, because some of these other controllers actually work very well, and M-Audio does not want to endorse any particular manufacturer. Some firewire chipset manufacturers are improving the quality of their controllers, but when problems are encountered, the chipset is the first place to look. When a chipset is in question, M-Audio does recommend using the controller chipsets which have a history of being the most reliable. Even if your motherboard has an on-board FireWire controller with a Texas Instruments chipset, you may encounter problems because all onboard devices, including the FireWire controller, are run through the Southbridge of the processor. This means that there is a lot of traffic that the FireWire signal must compete with for access to the processor (all USB, onboard audio, onboard video, serial ports, network controllers, etc...). Data coming from all of these devices creates a bottleneck and greatly increases the chance of the FireWire signal being interrupted. The interrupted data is dropped to maintain the delivery time of the rest of the data. When too much data is dropped, the audio signal may be appear as distorted, completely dropped, or the computer may even drop the connection with the FireWire audio device. To avoid this on a PC, we always advise installing a dedicated FireWire card. This is because the PCI bus runs to the Northbridge of the processor. The Northbridge provides more reliable access to the processor because it only manages the data from the PCI, AGP, and memory.

Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead and buy that one then I guess.

Last question, is there any hope of sleep ever working? My PC gets extremely hot cause it's overclocked and sleep would be an amazing feature to have.

At present I do not know.......I am not aware of anyone having fixed it using either a modified DSDT .aml file or a SleepEnabler.kext....... :)

As I do not use sleep it has not been a priority to sort it out, especially since from my own experience, sleep does not work on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs after 10.5.6 and not when the CPU and/or RAM are OC'd.......no working sleep function is reported by others too........

However, my PC CPU is overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz and the RAM from 667 MHz to 800 MHz but I have set up Intel CPU SpeedStepping using a Device (RTC), Device (HPET), Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixed and Device (LPCB) patched DSDT.aml file together with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 and having in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

giving me idle CPU core temperatures of:

Core 0 41C

Core 1 38C

Core 2 34C

Core 3 38C

at a core frequency of 1998 GHz (P-State 4), while my CPU fan is running at about 880 rpm.......and it seldom if ever runs above 1090 rpm, even when the 4 CPU cores are running at 2997 GHz (P-State 1)...... :)

See post #3 and post #6 on DSDT modding and SpeedStepping.......

Ok thank you.

I have a new problem now. It has to do with flash player. Originally, flash player worked 100% fine with hardware acceleration enabled in settings. Video was smooth and displayed properly. Now, flash doesn't work at all if hardware acceleration is turned on. It literally creates a hole in the browser to the desktop where the video is supposed to display. If I turn hardware acceleration off for flash, I can view the videos, but they're extremely choppy (since it's not using my GFX card). Also, with hardware acceleration enabled in flash, when safari loads (and loads the default apple website that is heavy on flash), it will turn my primary monitor entirely black with a white cursor at the top, and it seems to log me out and log me back in all in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. (I believe it's logging me out because it reopens windows that I had open last time I restarted the computer)

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, repaired permissions, used a flash uninstaller dmg, installed flash 11 beta, restarted thousands of times..etc

Any ideas? There is literally no more back information I can give you. This just randomly started happening. It happens in safari, firefox, and even chrome (w/ it's native flash player)

Ok thank you.

I have a new problem now. It has to do with flash player. Originally, flash player worked 100% fine with hardware acceleration enabled in settings. Video was smooth and displayed properly. Now, flash doesn't work at all if hardware acceleration is turned on. It literally creates a hole in the browser to the desktop where the video is supposed to display. If I turn hardware acceleration off for flash, I can view the videos, but they're extremely choppy (since it's not using my GFX card). Also, with hardware acceleration enabled in flash, when safari loads (and loads the default apple website that is heavy on flash), it will turn my primary monitor entirely black with a white cursor at the top, and it seems to log me out and log me back in all in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. (I believe it's logging me out because it reopens windows that I had open last time I restarted the computer)

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, repaired permissions, used a flash uninstaller dmg, installed flash 11 beta, restarted thousands of times..etc

Any ideas? There is literally no more back information I can give you. This just randomly started happening. It happens in safari, firefox, and even chrome (w/ it's native flash player)

According to Adobe:

Adobe recommends using Flash Player 10.3.183.5 to get the best experience with Mac OS X Lion. In particular, this version resolves an issue with the Flash Player settings panel not responding to clicks on Mac OS X Lion.

At present I cannot be of more help as I have not installed Flash Player in OS X Lon yet because I was aware of the problems with Adobe Flash Player and OS X Lion......

Regarding the [PCI Configuration begin] problem, there are two distinct issues with different solutions:

Case 2. There is a display freeze after "PCI Configuration Begin" but booting continues with a problem until the Desktop shows, meaning that you can no longer use Single User Mode nor follow the boot process in verbose mode.......nor see anything else onscreen until the Desktop appears......

My post #4 Issue 1 deals with Case 2......

Got it to work with the Kernel Flag solution:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

But wanted to let you know that in your post, you have the string as "npci=2000" rather than "npci=0x2000". In the explanation you mention npci=0x2000, but you may have just mis-typed it in the string portion. Thanks for the help!! I'm now 100% 64-bit with the correction to the "PCI Configuration Begin" issue....next up, Lion!

Got it to work with the Kernel Flag solution:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=x86_64 npci=0x2000</string>

But wanted to let you know that in your post, you have the string as "npci=2000" rather than "npci=0x2000". In the explanation you mention npci=0x2000, but you may have just mis-typed it in the string portion. Thanks for the help!! I'm now 100% 64-bit with the correction to the "PCI Configuration Begin" issue....next up, Lion!

Many thanks for pointing out the mis-typed entry in post #4...... :P I have corrected it now...... ^_^

Glad you are up and running in 100% 64bit mode.......and to have helped you....... :)

ALC 889A/885 audio not working in lion.. mobo is nforce 680i LT SLI..help required please.. :P

What method was working for you in Snow Leopard?

ALCxxx kext, or VoodooHDA, or DSDT patch +Info.plist only ALCxxx.kext? Details needed......

ohoh omg this work, very very nice, and very long :P

I will read all night :)

p.s. and this is under construction :P

Thanks.........I hope the completed version does not disappoint.......... :P

What method was working for you in Snow Leopard?

ALCxxx kext, or VoodooHDA, or DSDT patch +Info.plist only ALCxxx.kext? Details needed......

Thanks.........I hope the completed version does not disappoint.......... :)

i was using AppleHDA 10.6.2 + LegacyHDA +DSDT Patch in snow leopard.. it was working great...

i was using AppleHDA 10.6.2 + LegacyHDA +DSDT Patch in snow leopard.. it was working great...

Try the following:

[1] Confirm that in OS X Lion /S/L/E/ the 10.7.0 AppleHDA.kext has been renamed via Terminal as AppleHDA.kext.1070_Orig, or similar......

[2] Put AppleHDA.1062.kext in /S/L/E

Here it is: AppleHDA1062Kext.zip

[3] In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

[4] Put the iLeopod Info.plist-only ALC885.kext in /Extra/Extensions/

Here it is: iLeopod_ALC885.kext.zip

[5] Check your DSDT.aml entry in / and/or in /Extra for HDEF against that from iLeopod, shown in red:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001) <------ Your _ADR value here may be different

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package ()

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"subsystem-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"subsystem-vendor-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"platformFamily",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"Realtek ALC885"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x03

})

}

}

and the DTGP Method that is placed between Name (OSFL, 0x01) and Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized):

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

See post #5 for more detail of how to do the Device (HDEF) patching......

[6] Reboot and post here what System Report says under Audio.....

Try the following:

[1] Confirm that in OS X Lion /S/L/E/ the 10.7.0 AppleHDA.kext has been renamed via Terminal as AppleHDA.kext.1070_Orig, or similar......

[2] Put AppleHDA.1062.kext in /S/L/E

Here it is: AppleHDA1062Kext.zip

[3] In Terminal type:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

[4] Put the iLeopod Info.plist-only ALC885.kext in /Extra/Extensions/

Here it is: iLeopod_ALC885.kext.zip

[5] Check your DSDT.aml entry in / and/or in /Extra for HDEF against that from iLeopod, shown in red:

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001) <------ Your _ADR value here may be different

{

Store (Package ()

{

"built-in",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"subsystem-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0A, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"subsystem-vendor-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00

},

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"platformFamily",

Buffer (One)

{

0x00

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

},

"device-type",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"Realtek ALC885"

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

{

0x0D,

0x03

})

}

}

and the DTGP Method that is placed between Name (OSFL, 0x01) and Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized):

Name (OSFL, 0x01)

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

Method (STRC, 2, NotSerialized)

See post #5 for more detail of how to do the Device (HDEF) patching......

[6] Reboot and post here what System Report says under Audio.....

No output devices found..:) kext is loaded and pin configurations are fine..but NO AUDIO.

No output devices found.. :rolleyes: kext is loaded and pin configurations are fine..but NO AUDIO.

This is strange.......is your MOBO audio chipset still picked up by running lspci -nn and/or IORegistryExplorer....?

Try this general Device (HDEF) patch from THe KiNG that should work for all codecs:

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

}

Then try the ALC885_889a.kext Info.plist-only kext in /S/L/E + copying layout885.xml and Platforms.xml to the 10.7.x AppleHDA.kext, or AppleHDA.kext version 2.0.0 or higher (in /S/L/E/) Resources folder, that VCH888 has posted in his ALC889A (Gigabyte, Intel) topic here......let me know how you get on.......

Whatever finally works for you in OS X Lion 10.7.x, I will post in my Audio section of my guide to help others with the ALC885 codec...... :)

This is strange.......is your MOBO audio chipset still picked up by running lspci -nn and/or IORegistryExplorer....?

Try this general Device (HDEF) patch from THe KiNG that should work for all codecs:

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

Return (Local0)

}

}

Then try the ALC885_889a.kext Info.plist-only kext in /S/L/E + copying layout885.xml and Platforms.xml to the 10.7.x AppleHDA.kext, or AppleHDA.kext version 2.0.0 or higher (in /S/L/E/) Resources folder, that VCH888 has posted in his ALC889A (Gigabyte, Intel) topic here......let me know how you get on.......

Whatever finally works for you in OS X Lion 10.7.x, I will post in my Audio section of my guide to help others with the ALC885 codec...... :)

wowwwww .. i got the sound working... I am gonna post the complete procedure...:)

ALC889A/885 audio on Mac OS X Lion

1) AppleHDA.kext (1.7.9a4) AppleHDA.kext

2) LegacyHDA.kext LegacyHDA.kext

3) DSDT Patch For HDEF section

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x12)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889A"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (0x28)
						{
							/* 0000 */	0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
							/* 0008 */	0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
							/* 0010 */	0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0018 */	0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
							/* 0020 */	0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						}
					}, Local0)
				Return (Local0)
			}

{
				0x0D, 
				0x03
			})
		}

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA.kext + DSDT Patch ======== 100 % working audio....:D

wowwwww .. i got the sound working... I am gonna post the complete procedure... :)

ALC889A/885 audio on Mac OS X Lion

1) AppleHDA.kext (1.7.9a4) AppleHDA.kext

2) LegacyHDA.kext LegacyHDA.kext

3) DSDT Patch For HDEF section

Device (HDEF)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x000F0001)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x0A)
					 {
						 "built-in", 
						 Buffer (One)
						 {
							 0x01
						 }, 

"codec-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x85, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						 }, 

"layout-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						 }, 

"device-type", 
						 Buffer (0x12)
						 {
							 "Realtek ALC889A"
						 }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						 Buffer (0x28)
						 {
							 /* 0000 */	0x10, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x01, 0x20, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
							 /* 0008 */	0x80, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x90, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
							 /* 0010 */	0x30, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x40, 0x40, 0x01, 0x01, 
							 /* 0018 */	0x50, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x60, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
							 /* 0020 */	0x70, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 Return (Local0)
			 }

{
				 0x0D, 
				 0x03
			 })
		 }

AppleHDA.kext + LegacyHDA.kext + DSDT Patch ======== 100 % working audio.... :)

That is very good news.........who should I give credits to for these kexts and HDEF patch when I post it in my guide courtesy of yourself.....?

That is very good news.........who should I give credits to for these kexts and HDEF patch when I post it in my guide courtesy of yourself.....?

And one more good news... front panel audio working too...

regarding credits.. The one who patched AppleHDA.kext 10.6.2 and LegacyHDA.kext and HDEF patch is the one made out of all possible ways by me..:)

regarding credits.. The one who patched AppleHDA.kext 10.6.2 and LegacyHDA.kext and HDEF patch is the one made out of all possible ways by me..:)

sound_working.tiff

regarding credits.. The one who patched AppleHDA.kext 10.6.2 and LegacyHDA.kext and HDEF patch is the one made out of all possible ways by me.. :)

Well done..... :)

It did not take you long then after your first post here......did you get guidance from VCH888's topic.....?

Well done..... :)

It did not take you long then after your first post here......did you get guidance from VCH888's topic.....?

NO... i have been trying from day lion developer preview has been released..succeeded now..:) I read the VCH888's topic, it helped me but none of the procedure worked me.