nForce OS X Lion (10.7) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

Poll: Lion on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Lion system?

1. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

2. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (13 votes [22.03%])

Percentage of vote: 22.03%

3. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (3 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

6. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the verdant_nForce_OSX_Lion_Installer_DVD_Booter (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (1 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

8. Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (2 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

9. Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using Snow Leopard from an Installer volume to another HDD/volume (0 votes [0.00%])

10. No, none of the above methods has worked for me (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

11. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO..... (1 votes [1.69%])

12. I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac (1 votes [1.69%])

13. Are you running 10.7.x successfully , having auto-updated without any problems? (7 votes [11.86%])

Percentage of vote: 11.86%

14. Are all the standard Apple applications running OK? (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

Would you say that your Lion system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Snow Leopard)

1. 100% on (17 votes [27.87%])

Percentage of vote: 27.87%

2. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

3. Series 6 - 650i, 680i (9 votes [14.75%])

Percentage of vote: 14.75%

4. 90% on (7 votes [11.48%])

Percentage of vote: 11.48%

5. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (5 votes [8.20%])

6. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (5 votes [8.20%])

7. 80% on (4 votes [6.56%])

Percentage of vote: 6.56%

8. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (2 votes [3.28%])

Percentage of vote: 3.28%

9. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

10. 70% on (1 votes [1.64%])

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

11. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

13. 60% on (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (1 votes [1.64%])

16. 50% on (1 votes [1.64%])

17. Series 7 - 750i, 780i, or 790i (1 votes [1.64%])

18. Series 6 - 650i or 680i (0 votes [0.00%])

19. < 50% on (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Acceptably on 610i or 630i (0 votes [0.00%])

Is your Lion system working 100% on

1. SATA HDD (33 votes [13.47%])

Percentage of vote: 13.47%

2. SATA DVDRW including burning disks (6 votes [2.45%])

Percentage of vote: 2.45%

3. PATA (IDE) HDD (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

4. PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks (9 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

5. Video (25 votes [10.20%])

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. Onboard LAN (Ethernet) (26 votes [10.61%])

Percentage of vote: 10.61%

7. USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse (28 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

8. Firewire (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

9. PS/2 keyboard and mouse (6 votes [2.45%])

10. Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone (14 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

11. Audio except Front Panel headphones (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

12. Audio except Front Panel microphone (5 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

13. Sleep including waking from sleep (6 votes [2.45%])

14. PCI NIC (4 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

15. eSATA (3 votes [1.22%])

Percentage of vote: 1.22%

16. Bluetooth (10 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

17. WiFi (11 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

18. Time Machine (8 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

19. Overclocking (12 votes [4.90%])

Percentage of vote: 4.90%

20. Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.7.x (17 votes [6.94%])

Percentage of vote: 6.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

No problem. I'm using a nforce 780i 3-way SLI board with an intel Q9300. 4 GB of RAM and a GTX260 graphics card. I don't have any optical drives installed. 32 bit normal mode does boot (extremely slow, however. takes almost 4 minutes)

Didn't modify much. Placed nforceATAimk in /S/L/E as well as /E/E on the usb drive and used FakeSMC v2.5 rather than the one from your support files.

When I ran the installer, i installed Lion over top of Snow Leopard (as I've purchased a few applications since running SL and I didn't want to have to go through the process of re-downloading/re-installing them.

However, if you think that is the problem, I did set up a time machine backup so I can format and reinstall lion on a clean drive if that's totally necessary.

Were you running Snow Leopard fully in 64bit mode before installing Lion over it?

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Yes, snow leopard worked fully in 64 bit mode with the kext from your lion support files.

I just reinstalled all the kexts and repaired permissions. I also deleted extensions.mkext

still getting "still waiting for root device"

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

Yes, snow leopard worked fully in 64 bit mode with the kext from your lion support files.

Even though I personally prefer using Terminal, for speed, I suggest that you run janek202's Kext Wizard on /S/L/E and /E/E/ of your Lion Installation to reset kext ownership and permissions and rebuild kernel caches and then reboot with -v arch=x86_64....

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Yes, I edited my last post but I guess you beat me with the reply. I just did that now and nothing changed. 32 bit mode works now though.

Is there an alternate stable 64 bit ATA kext that I could try that you know of? It seems strange that it would work with SL but not Lion

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

Yes, I edited my last post but I guess you beat me with the reply. I just did that now and nothing changed. 32 bit mode works now though.

Is there an alternate stable 64 bit ATA kext that I could try that you know of? It seems strange that it would work with SL but not Lion

If you are booting Lion in 32bit mode, then check which kexts are being loaded/not loaded into the kernel by typing
kextstat
in Terminal, or by running Kext Wizard.......

I suggest that you download a fresh copy of my support files and use Kext Wizard to install AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext in /E/E first......then see what happens when booting with arch=x86_64......

I am not aware of another properly working 64bit AppleNForceATA kext.......as it worked in Snow Leopard it should work in Lion......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
kextstat shows AppleNForceATA (1.0.4) <51 14 5 4 3>

the 64bit imk ATA kext is the only one installed on the system.

edit: reinstalled kext again. boot now panics without much info right after Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

says:

FakeSMC: key not found MSTf, length - 1
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002

second edit:

That must've been a fluke. second reboot and we're back to "still waiting for root device"

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

kextstat shows AppleNForceATA (1.0.4) <51 14 5 4 3>

the 64bit imk ATA kext is the only one installed on the system.

edit: reinstalled kext again. boot now panics without much info right after Previous Shutdown Cause: 0

says:

FakeSMC: key not found MSTf, length - 1
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002

second edit:

That must've been a fluke. second reboot and we're back to "still waiting for root device"

It looks as if FakeSMC is the problem........try these FakeSMC.kexts, one by one in /Extra/Extensions/.......let me know which, if any work in Lion for you.......Attached File  FakeSMC_Kexts.zip   268.31KB   26 downloads

If none of them work in /E/E/ then try them in /S/L/E/.....

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
i've tried all three. none of them have solved the "still waiting for root device" error in 64 bit mode.
Version 1 decreased load times for 32 bit significantly however.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

i've tried all three. none of them have solved the "still waiting for root device" error in 64 bit mode.
Version 1 decreased load times for 32 bit significantly however.

That at least is some good news...........

Try this version of imk's AppleNForceATA.kext as originally named: Attached File  imk_AppleNForceATA.zip   41.84KB   19 downloads
I will check back tomorrow as I have to go offline now.........BTW have you ever encountered the [PCI Configuration begin] error when booting.....?

Am I correct in assuming that you originally ensured that /Extra in 64bit Snow Leopard was copied unchanged to /Extra in 64bit OS X Lion ...........

In my case, the Snow Leopard HDD/volume and the Lion HDD/volume have exactly the same /Extra folder contents and have the same revision of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 installed.........

Furthermore, I do not use an Extensions.mkext file for /Extra/Extensions/.......and for /S/L/E/, Lion uses a kernelcache file.....

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
I realized that I missed version 2 when I was trying the FakeSMC kexts, so I loaded that one up. Didn't solve the still waiting for root device issue, so I went to load back into 32 bit mode and I can't do it. I've tried safe mode and -v -f -x. I booted into single user mode and deleted the FakeSMC kext, but I still can't boot at all. Hangs for an extremely long time after ACPI_SMC_Platform timeout, and then sometimes will say "resetting IOcatalogue" but won't do anything after that. I didn't change anything other than the FakeSMC kext, so I don't understand why it won't boot at all. I figured maybe it was a permissions issue, so i booted back into single user mode and changed permissions on the entire drive. (found a tip on google) However, it didn't work and I still can't boot the system.

I know that the /E/E directory was copied exactly from SL, but the /S/L/E directory wasn't because it had kexts in it that i figured would be replaced with the new OS (ie. NVHAL, firewire kexts, etc.) I did not copy the entire /Extra directory though.

If you can figure out a way to make this boot, I could try the new imk.ATA kext as well as copying the entire /Extra directory straight from the time machine backup drive.

Once again, thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

I realized that I missed version 2 when I was trying the FakeSMC kexts, so I loaded that one up. Didn't solve the still waiting for root device issue, so I went to load back into 32 bit mode and I can't do it. I've tried safe mode and -v -f -x. I booted into single user mode and deleted the FakeSMC kext, but I still can't boot at all. Hangs for an extremely long time after ACPI_SMC_Platform timeout, and then sometimes will say "resetting IOcatalogue" but won't do anything after that. I didn't change anything other than the FakeSMC kext, so I don't understand why it won't boot at all. I figured maybe it was a permissions issue, so i booted back into single user mode and changed permissions on the entire drive. (found a tip on google) However, it didn't work and I still can't boot the system.

I know that the /E/E directory was copied exactly from SL, but the /S/L/E directory wasn't because it had kexts in it that i figured would be replaced with the new OS (ie. NVHAL, firewire kexts, etc.) I did not copy the entire /Extra directory though.

If you can figure out a way to make this boot, I could try the new imk.ATA kext as well as copying the entire /Extra directory straight from the time machine backup drive.

Once again, thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

I suggest the following:

1. Set up Snow Leopard running in 64bit mode on a GPT/HFS+ HDD with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 or r1200 as the installed bootloader and the correct org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist for your CPU, and confirm 64 bit operation by typing uname -a in Terminal to check for xnu-1699.22.73~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

2. Set up a clean, empty target OS X Lion volume on a GPT/HFS+ HDD with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 or r1200 as the installed bootloader, and copy across the entire contents of the SL /Extra directory into the Lion /Extra directory.

3. Install OS X Lion using the USB flash drive installer.

icedtrip

icedtrip

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Just read through the entire guide! Good job! I've been up and running on my P5N-D for awhile now on 10.6.8, but haven't really tried getting everything running 64-bit since up until recently, ApplenForceATA has been problematic. I'll try getting Lion up and running sometime this week or weekend and will post any success stories. My current specs are in my sig.

A question concerning the [PCI Configuration begin] problem:

Over this past weekend, I installed a PCI NIC (Rosewill RC-401-EX) since the builtin ethernet using eno's kext was giving me some issues. When I installed this NIC, I saw the [PCI Configuration begin] for the first time. For a moment, I thought my bootup had frozen, but it boot up just fine. It simply wouldn't show any messages after "[PCI Configuration begin]" was shown.

I'm assuming I will also have this issue with Lion, so I was going to attempt some of the fixes you mentioned, but what's odd about my situation is that I can still boot and use my machine just fine. [PCI Configuration begin] is the last thing shown on the screen (in verbose mode), but the machine never actually freezes. Had I been in GUI mode for bootup, I would have never noticed this. Any ideas why mine still boots, but other reports are complete freezes?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

Just read through the entire guide! Good job! I've been up and running on my P5N-D for awhile now on 10.6.8, but haven't really tried getting everything running 64-bit since up until recently, ApplenForceATA has been problematic. I'll try getting Lion up and running sometime this week or weekend and will post any success stories. My current specs are in my sig.

A question concerning the [PCI Configuration begin] problem:

Over this past weekend, I installed a PCI NIC (Rosewill RC-401-EX) since the builtin ethernet using eno's kext was giving me some issues. When I installed this NIC, I saw the [PCI Configuration begin] for the first time. For a moment, I thought my bootup had frozen, but it boot up just fine. It simply wouldn't show any messages after "[PCI Configuration begin]" was shown.

I'm assuming I will also have this issue with Lion, so I was going to attempt some of the fixes you mentioned, but what's odd about my situation is that I can still boot and use my machine just fine. [PCI Configuration begin] is the last thing shown on the screen (in verbose mode), but the machine never actually freezes. Had I been in GUI mode for bootup, I would have never noticed this. Any ideas why mine still boots, but other reports are complete freezes?

Glad you like my OS X Lion install guide..... ;)

I have replied to your post in my Snow Leopard thread about Ethernet issues.......I have had no problems using eno's nForceLAN.kext (v 0.64.5), nor with my Netgear GA311 PCI NIC........all that is needed is to put the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from 10.6.8 in the PlugIns folder of the Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext, from which it is/was missing i.e. no longer included in the OS X Lion IONetworkingFamily.kext.....

Regarding the [PCI Configuration begin] problem, there are two distinct issues with different solutions:

Case 1. Computer freeze at PCI Bus Start message, [PCI Configuration begin].....

The apparent solution is given by THe KING in the Project OS X Forum in the Hp/compaq Mini 311, HP/Compaq Mini 311 Development topic (post #328)......it involves a DSDT mod......the _BBN method must be removed from the PCI0 device and added to the IXVE bridge and root ports, and FakeSMC plugins removed too.....

Case 2. There is a display freeze after "PCI Configuration Begin" but booting continues with a problem until the Desktop shows, meaning that you can no longer use Single User Mode nor follow the boot process in verbose mode.......nor see anything else onscreen until the Desktop appears......

My post #4 Issue 1 deals with Case 2......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Hi Verdant.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's been a rough work week. I've managed to get Lion up and running by formatting the drive I want to install to, installing again from USB stick, and then copying /Extra folder from time machine backup to the lion HD. Boot time is fast and has no kernel panics. I have an issue though.

I can't get networking/internet access to work. Kextstat shows nforceLAN kext loaded. I also see it load and identify the MAC address of the NIC, but it doesn't actually acquire an IP address or do any of the things that it would do in SL.

I've cleared all the startup kext caches and things in that startup folder already.
chameleon.boot.plist has a key and string value of EthernetBuiltIn and Yes

Once again, I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

EDIT: I fixed it. I had to go into the network connection settings and then it randomly detected the two ethernet ports and connected to the router. I hope I don't have to do that every boot...

Thank you so much, next paycheck I think I'm going to donate to the nforce osx cause :D

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

Hi Verdant.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's been a rough work week. I've managed to get Lion up and running by formatting the drive I want to install to, installing again from USB stick, and then copying /Extra folder from time machine backup to the lion HD. Boot time is fast and has no kernel panics. I have an issue though.

I can't get networking/internet access to work. Kextstat shows nforceLAN kext loaded. I also see it load and identify the MAC address of the NIC, but it doesn't actually acquire an IP address or do any of the things that it would do in SL.

I've cleared all the startup kext caches and things in that startup folder already.
chameleon.boot.plist has a key and string value of EthernetBuiltIn and Yes

Once again, I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks

EDIT: I fixed it. I had to go into the network connection settings and then it randomly detected the two ethernet ports and connected to the router. I hope I don't have to do that every boot...

Thank you so much, next paycheck I think I'm going to donate to the nforce osx cause :)

Hi there,

No problem - just good to see that you finally managed to get OS X Lion properly installed and working...... :)

As for networking, try the following:

[1] Go to System Preferences >>>> Network......select your Network Service i.e. Ethernet or AirPort in the sidebar and click the '-' tab at the sidebar bottom, which will delete the service

[2] Modify your org.chameleon.Boot.plist by adding in the following:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>

[3] Reboot into OS X Lion and again go to System Preferences >>>> Network......but now click the '+' tab at the sidebar bottom, to add a new Network Service named Ethernet (en0) for your onboard LAN service.....

Any and all support for the nforce osx cause will be very much appreciated......... :)

Writing OS X installation guides for nForce MOBOs now that nVidia have now stopped making MOBO chipsets after their lost battle with Intel is seen by many as a lost cause.....

The majority view being that nForce MOBO owners show go with the tide and switch to Intel MOBOs.......the same view is held of AMD CPU MOBO owners......

My view is that installing and using OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion on nForce chipset MOBOs should be viewed as a victory not a curse....LOL

When my nForce MOBO finally dies on me, I may have to switch to a real secondhand Intel MacPro because by that time I suspect the installers for OS X OS's after Lion may only download and install on an Apple branded computer......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
I hear ya. They're eventually going to lock it down. They still got their $30 from me for the software though, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

On another note, do you think you could recommend a PCI-e Firewire card that you think will work with Lion and all four cpu cores? The onboard firewire causes both SL and Lion to freeze after a few minutes. Which chipset would you recommend? VIA, TI, or something else?

I was looking at this one, not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but it's the Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

I hear ya. They're eventually going to lock it down. They still got their $30 from me for the software though, that should be enough, shouldn't it?

On another note, do you think you could recommend a PCI-e Firewire card that you think will work with Lion and all four cpu cores? The onboard firewire causes both SL and Lion to freeze after a few minutes. Which chipset would you recommend? VIA, TI, or something else?

I was looking at this one, not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but it's the Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009

I hope getting their $30 will be enough......I always buy the OS Retail Installer to be fair to Apple in the sense that they are not losing out by my not buying a real Mac and using a Hack instead, since the reality is that I cannot afford to buy a new Mac Pro anyhow......and my buying a secondhand/thirdhand real Mac instead of using my Hack would not generate any further income for Apple.....

On the Firewire issue, I would recommend a TI chipset card.......

Information from M-Audio FireWire Series FAQ's

FireWire was developed by a partnership of Apple, Texas Instruments, and several other companies. FireWire is a great method for transferring streaming data like audio and video, which require a lot of bandwidth and CANNOT have the signal interrupted without serious degradation to the signal. Because this format was developed by Apple, the architecture is optimized for Apple systems. Some PC manufacturers don’t do as well as others integrating this technology. PC’s base their architecture on a system of interrupts, and typically use synchronous data transfer. FireWire uses asynchronous data transfer, or a specialized version of asynchronous data transfer called isochronous data transfer. Synchronous transfer will guarantee that data packages will be delivered, but will not guarantee that they will be delivered at a certain time. Asynchronous transfer guarantees that packages will be delivered at a certain time, but if there is interference or delay, the packages may be dropped and will not be re-sent. This means that no data will be lost when using synchronous mode, but it could happen that packages are delivered late because they are re-sent if they are lost for some reason. For audio, it's useless if packages arrive late. Late audio is delayed audio and pauses in the audio. The guarantee that audio is delivered on-time is what s important to digital audio; and that's why FireWire audio devices use the asynchronous transfer. Any lost packages will appear as audio drop outs. So, as you can see it is important that FireWire data is not interrupted. However, PC architecture (ACPI) is built on the concept of interrupts. While the interrupts of Windows systems may be problematic, firewire audio can operate efficiently if the data is managed correctly. This is where the FireWire controller chipset is VERY important. Because timing is so important, there are many controls which manage the FireWire bus to ensure the high transfer rate. The FireWire controller must initialize and release FireWire devices connected to the computer, communicate with all FireWire devices connected to the bus, assist those devices in dedicating a single clock for the timing of the entire FireWire bus, manage the electrical power distributed to the devices, construct a hierarchy of device priority in the system, and manage the data being transferred. There are several FireWire chipset developers that build chips that are significantly cheaper than Texas Instruments, and for this reason, PC manufacturers are starting to use these less expensive chipsets. Unfortunately, many of these other chipsets are not as reliable as those manufactured by Texas Instruments. M-Audio cannot simply say only use Texas Instruments chipsets, because some of these other controllers actually work very well, and M-Audio does not want to endorse any particular manufacturer. Some firewire chipset manufacturers are improving the quality of their controllers, but when problems are encountered, the chipset is the first place to look. When a chipset is in question, M-Audio does recommend using the controller chipsets which have a history of being the most reliable. Even if your motherboard has an on-board FireWire controller with a Texas Instruments chipset, you may encounter problems because all onboard devices, including the FireWire controller, are run through the Southbridge of the processor. This means that there is a lot of traffic that the FireWire signal must compete with for access to the processor (all USB, onboard audio, onboard video, serial ports, network controllers, etc...). Data coming from all of these devices creates a bottleneck and greatly increases the chance of the FireWire signal being interrupted. The interrupted data is dropped to maintain the delivery time of the rest of the data. When too much data is dropped, the audio signal may be appear as distorted, completely dropped, or the computer may even drop the connection with the FireWire audio device. To avoid this on a PC, we always advise installing a dedicated FireWire card. This is because the PCI bus runs to the Northbridge of the processor. The Northbridge provides more reliable access to the processor because it only manages the data from the PCI, AGP, and memory.

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead and buy that one then I guess.

Last question, is there any hope of sleep ever working? My PC gets extremely hot cause it's overclocked and sleep would be an amazing feature to have.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,529 posts
    >
    >
    >

Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead and buy that one then I guess.

Last question, is there any hope of sleep ever working? My PC gets extremely hot cause it's overclocked and sleep would be an amazing feature to have.

At present I do not know.......I am not aware of anyone having fixed it using either a modified DSDT .aml file or a SleepEnabler.kext....... :)

As I do not use sleep it has not been a priority to sort it out, especially since from my own experience, sleep does not work on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs after 10.5.6 and not when the CPU and/or RAM are OC'd.......no working sleep function is reported by others too........

However, my PC CPU is overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz and the RAM from 667 MHz to 800 MHz but I have set up Intel CPU SpeedStepping using a Device (RTC), Device (HPET), Device (TMR) and Device (PIC) fixed and Device (LPCB) patched DSDT.aml file together with Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r1191 and having in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

giving me idle CPU core temperatures of:

Core 0 41C
Core 1 38C
Core 2 34C
Core 3 38C

at a core frequency of 1998 GHz (P-State 4), while my CPU fan is running at about 880 rpm.......and it seldom if ever runs above 1090 rpm, even when the 4 CPU cores are running at 2997 GHz (P-State 1)...... :)

See post #3 and post #6 on DSDT modding and SpeedStepping.......

silentsaint

silentsaint

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Ok thank you.

I have a new problem now. It has to do with flash player. Originally, flash player worked 100% fine with hardware acceleration enabled in settings. Video was smooth and displayed properly. Now, flash doesn't work at all if hardware acceleration is turned on. It literally creates a hole in the browser to the desktop where the video is supposed to display. If I turn hardware acceleration off for flash, I can view the videos, but they're extremely choppy (since it's not using my GFX card). Also, with hardware acceleration enabled in flash, when safari loads (and loads the default apple website that is heavy on flash), it will turn my primary monitor entirely black with a white cursor at the top, and it seems to log me out and log me back in all in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. (I believe it's logging me out because it reopens windows that I had open last time I restarted the computer)

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, repaired permissions, used a flash uninstaller dmg, installed flash 11 beta, restarted thousands of times..etc
Any ideas? There is literally no more back information I can give you. This just randomly started happening. It happens in safari, firefox, and even chrome (w/ it's native flash player)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy