[Fixed] Ghost display on MSI R5770 Hawk in Lion

tallest

86 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

axm: Thanks for the kext, working well as my mouse doesn't disappear into oblivion anymore.

I'm also extremely curious as to what DSDT edits got this card working...I'm on a Intel DX58SO though but at least I'd know where to start.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I did the above editing for the mountain lion driver. I haven't tested it, but it will hopefully work. I'll update this post to confirm if/when I get it working.

EDIT: It works! Although there is a problem in my setup where diplayport stops working if DVI is plugged in then unplugged... is this a problem with the edit, or a problem with 10.8.0?

EDIT2: After really getting into some framebuffer personality editing, I have failed :( to resolve the sleep/port flipping issue. Since I somehow borked my install during all the installs, I'm temporarily downgrading until 10.8.1.

A very interesting discovery, however, is that simply by changing the senseid (last byte in the line) for the phantom DVI port to match the other (they should both be 4, according to the BIOS parser) the extra display disappears... pretty cool.

I made like 20 versions of the 10.8 driver, and while most solved the display problem none solved the sleep issue, but I'll try to do similar edits to the 10.7.4 and upload it for comparison's sake. This framebuffer editing is kind of interesting...

EDIT3: Actually bothering to read instead of just editing and rebooting led me to the netkas forum... so there is, apparently, a long history of displayport problems on non-apple 5XXX cards! This explains why DVI and HDMI are working perfectly...

Interestingly, DP works with either of those also plugged in. This may have something to do with DP++ (DVI-compatible w/passive converter) output from this port, since the output is BLACK, i.e. a signal is being sent—my monitor stays on and is recognized in hardware—but it's not decodeable by the monitor, or something.

If HDMI doesn't work with the below kext, I can upload my more recent version. I'm too lazy right now, but the senseid should be 5 on the HDMI port, according to the bios decode.

ATI5000Controller.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

First, I don't know if HDMI was working (video) before, but it is now, anyway. So this edit differs from the original Vervet->Eulemur in that the SenseID on the HDMI port has been changed to 5.

The big innovation, which was encoraged by the good folks at netkas' forum, was to put the edited Vervet framebuffer into the Hoolock personality. Hoolock is the Apple 5770 personality, and it has special flags in the plist to enable displayport. So this kext should be used with Hoolock, not Eulemur!

I have tested and confirmed all 3 ports working separately and combinations of any 2 ports also working. However a display on the third port was not recognized, so this is not effective for triple-display setups. Of course, I have no idea whether triple display was working under Lion, either :P

All that said, here she is:

Once again, this kext goes with Hoolock.

• Like 1

Jamdox, So I have a MSI ATI 5770 and tried your Kext ( running Mountain lion )

What I did is copyed it under Sys/Lib/Ext/ and then Chmodded and rebuild the cache.

Then I used Chameleon Wiz ot change boot.plist and added Ati - config and Hoolock.

I tried connecting Displayport ( nothing ) and nothing on DVI either.

However the ATI cards shows up under System report display cards.

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5700/6700 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Am I missing something or is my card different from the one you are useing ?

I'm using the MSI R5770 "Hawk". It looks like MSI has other 5770's out, so it could be a different card. It's also possible that we have different BIOS versions, although I don't know if that matters.

No output on DVI is odd. I'd try using Vervet, which is known to work with DVI but should have that annoying ghost screen. If that works, and we have the same card and same bios, either I uploaded the wrong file or something else is going on.

If the above don't explain the problem, I would get the IOREG information using IORegistryExplorer, which can be downloaded from Apple's developer website, and is rolled into DSDTSE as well. And, you know, make sure there are no typos or loose wires. :wink2:

EDIT: It looks like I uploaded the correct file. It's a stock kext with only Hoolock edited. You could try the one I uploaded earlier with Eulemur...

Well I worked after all, With AtiConfig=Hoolock and AtiPorts=2.

Then I get the Displayport working also but only If I dont boot up with it. ( if the monitor is plugged into it when I boot and has power ) it will not work untill I either unplug the DIsplayport cable or Take the power of the monitor.

So now I just use my onboard HD 3000 for 1 screen and the other is on the R5770 DVI port and no ghost :)

OK im a bit lost here and i hope you guys can help me out. i got the msi 5770 board mentioned in this thread, i used jambox's kext and gfxenabler=No; NO more ghost screen, :D but now dvd player and some otehr apps arent working, how do i get those back again without getting the ghostscreen too..?

So the kext I edited is from 10.8.0 and probably won't work with other versions of OSX, and it requires GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Hoolock. Without graphicsenabler the system doesn't enable advanced graphics functions. Hence the other problems.

Hope it works for you!

I have the MSI R5770 "Hawk". A standard 5770 works with Vervet, but the Hawk has a different port layout; Hoolock is the Apple 5770 personality, and the kext plist has flags which enable displayport with it. So I basically took the Vervet framebuffer, with a couple changes, and put it into Hoolock. This takes care of the ghost display and enables displayport.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have Ati Radeon 4670 and that *phuKin ghost monitor. Last few days I literally try everything, but I cannot get rid of ghost VGA display. I tried all your instruction here, but..no luck. Any chance to someone help me here...maybe tallest if he still drops bye here. PLS....HELP!!

Can somebody perhaps help me? I've got an XFX 5570. I've tried pretty much all personalities and the only ones that can match my DVI at all are Langur and Alouatta. Both detect it as "Display port" though, Langur also gives me a ghost and Alouatta doesn't.

Any edit I have tried to make to the kext, using the methods described in the first few posts, result in my computer not loading the kext at all anymore and my card not being recognized. Would anybody happen to know what I'm doing wrong? I assume it has to do with the way I'm patching the kext...

If the patched kexts load but the ones you patch yourself don't, that probably suggests you're doing something wrong. It's a long process with many steps that can go wrong, so I'd go to the links that Tallest left, and also search out those other posts which also go over framebuffer editing in detail. I also remember, one time, forgetting "notrunc" at the end of the dd command writing the edited personality back into the kext. This truncated the kext which naturally trashed it.

But I'm not sure the 5750 is supported at all... I'd definitely search around.

• 4 months later...

Ok, now I managed to do the kext changes... ;)

Here is the Kext, based on the original 10.7.4 Kext, but without the ghost VGA display.

hi axm,

have you maybe made a version for osx 10.7.5 ?

please help me i was stupid and did update now i can not use dvd and other important software.

or if anybody did the modification for the msi hawk and osx 10.7.5 please share it.

thank you and greetings

Ugh. I don't really have time to do the 10.7.5 drivers. I'll attach the edited framebuffer. You'll want to follow Tallest's instructions and instead of editing, just skip to the end and write the attached framebuffer into the 10.7.5 kext to the Hoolock location the ati personality.pl script says, then boot with Hoolock.

So you'll run the script, find the location for Hoolock, then type "dd if=Hoolock.new of=... ... count=48 seek= [HOOLOCK LOCATION HERE] ...

Hopefully this is enough to go on!

I'm also attaching an UNTESTED 10.8.3 kext. Good luck, all.

Hoolock.new.zip