[Fixed] Ghost display on MSI R5770 Hawk in Lion

tallest

86 posts in this topic

Cheers guys, good to see we have a soultion for the problem.

I've read the whole thred but it seems it solves the problem for 57xx cards.

I have a special version of HD5670. It works very well with GE=Yes, however I have the ghost monitor problem and I'd like to have it solved because I can't play Heroes of Newerth and it's really annoying.

My question is that: Is your method universal or what do I need to change for my 5670card and how can I find out which is the best/working framebuffer for my card?

Thanks for your answer!

Chrys

Sorry I've been absent for so long, guys (and gals?).

Narayana, Glad to hear you got HDMI audio working. I'll edit my previous post to give some details. Am I right in my understanding that all you need is the AppleHDA kext and to change the trailing 01 to a 05?

nesnfsn, I never actually used the files outputted when ati-personality.pl is run. Instead, I looked at the output on the command line.

You can try all the profiles listed in the output of ati-personality.pl under "Kext ATI6000Controller" one by one by specifying AtiConfig=... at the Chameleon boot prompt (don't do it in boot.plist as this could make your system unbootable until you edit the file from some other installation, like the bootable installer). Maybe one of the other profiles will fix your problem. Most of them probably won't work at all. If you can't find a better default profile, you will need to edit one that works to better suit your needs.

I would recommend that you carefully read through Editing custom personalities for ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx, Build your own ATI personality for better ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx support and my posts above. They outline how you can make changes to the kext for the 4/5000 series cards and I assume it's similar for the 6000 series. You will want to figure out what kind the 'ghost' display is in System Information and edit one of the profiles that let's your system boot (probably the one your system uses by default, without AtiConfig=) to remve that connector. Do you know what profile your card is using by default? I forget how you can determine this yourself.

My question is that: Is your method universal or what do I need to change for my 5670card and how can I find out which is the best/working framebuffer for my card?

The more universal method would be listed here. It's what my method is based on, as I stated in my post. I'm not sure if your card is using the Vervet profile by default, like mine is. Can you boot with AtiConfig=Vervet at the Chameleon boot prompt?

Narayana, Glad to hear you got HDMI audio working. I'll edit my previous post to give some details. Am I right in my understanding that all you need is the AppleHDA kext and to change the trailing 01 to a 05?

tallest, in addition to modifying ATIController5000.kext to replace the trailing 01 with 05 for the HDMI string, I believe you will need a modified 10.7.2 AppleHDA (for your on board sound) as well as DSDT edits to enable the on board sound. I was able to do this using the appropriate method for my ALC889 (modified 10.7.2 AppleHDA and DSDT edit). Finally, you need to make the DSDT edits outline in toleda's post that I linked to above.

Can you boot with AtiConfig=Vervet at the Chameleon boot prompt?

Yes, I'm able to boot with Vervet AtiConfig both GraphicsEnabler turned on and off.

Now I'm here by Vervet and GE=On. dvd player works, no crash. and ofc. got double monitors :D

what should I do now? Download your previously linked file or something special?

You can try it. I'm just not sure it'll work for your card. It depends on how similar the ports are and how they're configured on the card. Make sure to backup your previous kext and either have a way to restore the original if things go wrong (e.g. a bootable installer disk or other installation entirely) or have another profile that you know works (e.g. Eulemer) that you can switch to at the Chameleon boot prompt with AtiConfig=.

EDIT: If things go wrong, I guess you could just use GraphicsEnabler=No to get back to the OS to fix things.

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping tallest you could look at this and see if you can possibly point me in the right direction to fixing my problem:

I am running 10.7.2 Using MSI R5770

I have searched all over and can't find a solution to this anywhere. I have the MSI Radeon HD 5770. When I have GE=NO it recognizes my Display properly and i can set the resolution properly, but DVD player crashes and I cannot do any OpenGL i.e.: no Portal or other source based games. Here is a photo of system report

genosys.png

and kextstat | ATI along with ioreg | grep ATY:

genoq.png

NOW when I have GE=YES I can get CVC player working and OpenGL apps work, but then my display is recognized as VGA and i cannot set it at the correct resolution.

Here is the system report:

geyessys.png

and here is kextstat | ATI along with ioreg | grep ATY

geyes.png

Can anyone give me insight on how to get the display properly recognized so I can set the resolution above 800x600?

• 4 weeks later...

Would you be kind to help me escape of my ghost monitor for Ati Radeon 5470m (in a laptop Dell 13R). I use AtiConfig=Hoolock and GraphicsEnabler=Yes to be able to get native resolution, but I have a ghost VGA display. I use 10.7.2 version of Lion. @Christopher or @tallest can you help me, please?

UPDATE!

I have managed to force edid using this tutorial: http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=736

No more ghost screen! No more aticonfig=Hoolock needed.

Yes! Here you are:

I am a noob, I do not know how to delete the connector from the profile. I would appreciate it very much if you could do it for me and send me the file already modified.

I have tried Eulemur with an external monitor (VGA). I was able to reach the vga monitor only. The laptop display was black with backlight. No ghost screen, but no laptop display.

I also have an HDMI connection, but didn't try that. I won't use it soon anyway.

I have tried SwitchRes X to disable the VGA (ghost) display, but I couldn't do that. It seams that ghost display is indispensable for Hoolock and can not be disabled for real.

post-785932-0-33792700-1324328268_thumb.png

post-785932-0-89395700-1324328281_thumb.png

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've been absent. I've modified my DSDT so I no longer need graphicsenabler and this fix, but I've made the modifications to the kext and attached it.

This is untested, so tell me if it works. I believe it should be modified to allow HDMI audio as well.

Good luck.

(axm, you couldn't handle following my instructions? And 'common'? Come on... :) )

ATI5000Controller.kext.zip

• Like 2

Hi tallest,

Thanks for the kext, works great! :)

Unfortunately, to be honest, I didn't understand the procedure, you've described on the first page. Perhaps my english is not good enough to understand it fully... The same reason causes the "Common"... ;) I've mixed it up...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've got the Ghost VGA on my system. This is with a Radeon 5850 which has HDMI, Display Port and DVI. Monitor's connected through HDMI. I'm currently booting with GraphicsEnabler=yes

I'm wondering if I should try GraphicsEnabler=no to see if it's detect the correct ports, and if programs like DVD player don't crash, then leave it.

If that fails, I understand if I replace the Kext and add AtiConfig=Eulemur it should pick up the right ports? Also, how do I know which personality it's using by default without specifying one?

I'm not sure if the kext we've got here will fix it , but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work and you don't get any display output, reboot with GraphicsEnabler=no at the boot prompt and revert to the old kext once Mac OS has booted.

Well my problem currently is that it thinks this VGA display is my primary, so all I'm getting on my only monitor is the "extended" part of the desktop. I can't do anything with it. I'm hoping that if I boot to the Lion Install disc, use terminal to replace the boot.plist with one that has graphicsenabler=no, that I'll at least be able to boot up and then try to fix the ghost display.

K, so I booted up with graphicsenabler=no. It only detected the 1 display, of course I tried DVD player and it crashed. So I used your Kext for 10.7.3, set the options in boot.plist and rebooted. Everything was perfect. Thanks a lot.

Hehe, edited to stop the alot from coming around.