85 replies to this topic

Narayana

Narayana

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hello-
I am planning on installing Lion on my HTPC, which has a R5770, today. Assuming I follow the same steps as axm in post 12, will I have a ghost free machine in addition to HDMI sound? Or is the ket posted above only a fix for the ghost issue?
Thanks! (I'm horribly unclear on how to get the 5770 working with sound in Lion)

tallest

tallest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I can't help you there. I use DVI to HDMI for my video output and a USB DAC for audio.

I don't see HDMI as an option for audio output in System Preferences, but maybe it requires being connected to an audio capable device.

nesnfsn

nesnfsn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Tallest:

This thread has provided me hope that I can get my Powercolor HD6850 to recognize all 4 video ports on the card. I am posting here, but do not want to hijack your thread. So, I apologize in advance for any appearance of hijacking the thread. I would have just sent a PM, but could not figure out how to attach files to PM.

After Installing xCode 4.2 for Lion, I reran in terminal "perl ati-personality.pl -x". When I had run it before, it errored out with some message about not finding my ATi1300Controller.kext. This terminal command generated a slew of txt files on my desktop. Amongst them are the three (3) attached files.

Attached File  ATI6000Controller.txt   1.25MB   4 downloads Attached File  ATI6000Controller.lipo.txt   407bytes   2 downloadsAttached File  ATI6000Controller.l.txt   3.29KB   2 downloads
Can you help me get my card running as it is capable (recognizing all 4 ports and still being QE/CI compatible (Card is recognized OOB in Lion without adding boot flags/options for AtiConfig or AtiPorts, but no ports listed, and only 1 DVI port works with DVI-I DL to VGA adapter)? I would appreciate your guidance, as I know you had figured out how to do this with your MSI R5570 Hawk card for the ATI5000Controller.kext.

So as to avoid any (further?) hijacking, I would welcome your reply by PM if you deem it more appropriate. Thank you for any help you can provide.

nesnfsn in sunny South Florida

Narayana

Narayana

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm still having trouble getting my 5770 working in Lion with no ghost image and HDMI sound.

So far, this is what I have done:

1. Followed directions on enabling HDMI sound on toleda's guide here.

2. Modified ATIController5000 by swapping searching/replacing Vervet personality hex string with those provided by jsl in post #10. i.e. I searched each line of Vervet in ATIController5000 and replaced with the ones given. Each string (i.e. line of the original vervet) was replaced twice. jsl's string for HDMI sound (i.e. replacing the last 01 for HDMI with 05) was consistent with the changes in toleda's guide above.

3. added the following to org.Chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Vervet</string>

Unfortunately, this neither fixed the ghost display or gave me HDMI sound. I will need to start again, undoing the changes I have made. If anyone has HDMI sound working without the ghost display in Lion 64-bit, any pointers would be greatly appreciated. This is the last thing i need to get my HTPC up and running...

Thanks!

EDIT: tallest, looking at your post for the Eulemer fix that worked for you, do you think replacing the last 01 with 05 (which should enable HDMI sound) and setting AtiConfig to Eulemer would work in my situation? Did you make changes to both the 32-bit and 64-bit address spaces in the ATIConfig5000 you posted?

Narayana

Narayana

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
FINALLY! I was able to get HDMI sound (without the ghost screen) through my R5770 in 10.7.2:

1. I was able to get my ALC889 working using this kext and DSDT edit.

2. Followed toleda's instructions here.

3. Used ATIController5000.kext that tallest provided and changed the last 01 for the hdmi string to 05.

Thanks to the authors of the above!

Now, I'm off to rock some LCD Soundsystem (and turn off verbose mode)!

Chrystopher

Chrystopher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Cheers guys, good to see we have a soultion for the problem.

I've read the whole thred but it seems it solves the problem for 57xx cards.
I have a special version of HD5670. It works very well with GE=Yes, however I have the ghost monitor problem and I'd like to have it solved because I can't play Heroes of Newerth and it's really annoying.

My question is that: Is your method universal or what do I need to change for my 5670card and how can I find out which is the best/working framebuffer for my card?

Thanks for your answer!

Chrys

tallest

tallest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Sorry I've been absent for so long, guys (and gals?).

Narayana, Glad to hear you got HDMI audio working. I'll edit my previous post to give some details. Am I right in my understanding that all you need is the AppleHDA kext and to change the trailing 01 to a 05?

nesnfsn, I never actually used the files outputted when ati-personality.pl is run. Instead, I looked at the output on the command line.

You can try all the profiles listed in the output of ati-personality.pl under "Kext ATI6000Controller" one by one by specifying AtiConfig=... at the Chameleon boot prompt (don't do it in boot.plist as this could make your system unbootable until you edit the file from some other installation, like the bootable installer). Maybe one of the other profiles will fix your problem. Most of them probably won't work at all. If you can't find a better default profile, you will need to edit one that works to better suit your needs.

I would recommend that you carefully read through Editing custom personalities for ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx, Build your own ATI personality for better ATI Radeon HD[45]xxx support and my posts above. They outline how you can make changes to the kext for the 4/5000 series cards and I assume it's similar for the 6000 series. You will want to figure out what kind the 'ghost' display is in System Information and edit one of the profiles that let's your system boot (probably the one your system uses by default, without AtiConfig=) to remve that connector. Do you know what profile your card is using by default? I forget how you can determine this yourself.

My question is that: Is your method universal or what do I need to change for my 5670card and how can I find out which is the best/working framebuffer for my card?

The more universal method would be listed here. It's what my method is based on, as I stated in my post. I'm not sure if your card is using the Vervet profile by default, like mine is. Can you boot with AtiConfig=Vervet at the Chameleon boot prompt?

Narayana

Narayana

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Narayana, Glad to hear you got HDMI audio working. I'll edit my previous post to give some details. Am I right in my understanding that all you need is the AppleHDA kext and to change the trailing 01 to a 05?

tallest, in addition to modifying ATIController5000.kext to replace the trailing 01 with 05 for the HDMI string, I believe you will need a modified 10.7.2 AppleHDA (for your on board sound) as well as DSDT edits to enable the on board sound. I was able to do this using the appropriate method for my ALC889 (modified 10.7.2 AppleHDA and DSDT edit). Finally, you need to make the DSDT edits outline in toleda's post that I linked to above.

tallest

tallest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
So I'll just post the link to that guide. Am I correct in concluding that, if you're using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, then Part 3 of the guide simplifies to changing the 01 to 05 for the R5770 Hawk?

Chrystopher

Chrystopher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Can you boot with AtiConfig=Vervet at the Chameleon boot prompt?

Yes, I'm able to boot with Vervet AtiConfig both GraphicsEnabler turned on and off.
Now I'm here by Vervet and GE=On. dvd player works, no crash. and ofc. got double monitors :D
what should I do now? Download your previously linked file or something special?

tallest

tallest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
You can try it. I'm just not sure it'll work for your card. It depends on how similar the ports are and how they're configured on the card. Make sure to backup your previous kext and either have a way to restore the original if things go wrong (e.g. a bootable installer disk or other installation entirely) or have another profile that you know works (e.g. Eulemer) that you can switch to at the Chameleon boot prompt with AtiConfig=.

EDIT: If things go wrong, I guess you could just use GraphicsEnabler=No to get back to the OS to fix things.

groceryman

groceryman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was hoping tallest you could look at this and see if you can possibly point me in the right direction to fixing my problem:

I am running 10.7.2 Using MSI R5770

I have searched all over and can't find a solution to this anywhere. I have the MSI Radeon HD 5770. When I have GE=NO it recognizes my Display properly and i can set the resolution properly, but DVD player crashes and I cannot do any OpenGL i.e.: no Portal or other source based games. Here is a photo of system report

Posted Image

and kextstat | ATI along with ioreg | grep ATY:

Posted Image

NOW when I have GE=YES I can get CVC player working and OpenGL apps work, but then my display is recognized as VGA and i cannot set it at the correct resolution.

Here is the system report:

Posted Image

and here is kextstat | ATI along with ioreg | grep ATY

Posted Image

Can anyone give me insight on how to get the display properly recognized so I can set the resolution above 800x600?

Chrystopher

Chrystopher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hey! I think you should try the EDID hack.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=208410

groceryman

groceryman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You are awesome! This did it. THANK YOU.

Chrystopher

Chrystopher

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Happy cuz' i could help :)
have fun

chirionutz

chirionutz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Would you be kind to help me escape of my ghost monitor for Ati Radeon 5470m (in a laptop Dell 13R). I use AtiConfig=Hoolock and GraphicsEnabler=Yes to be able to get native resolution, but I have a ghost VGA display. I use 10.7.2 version of Lion. @Christopher or @tallest can you help me, please?

tallest

tallest

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Can you post the output from System Information under Graphics/Displays? You need to figure out what connector needs to be deleted from the profile.

chirionutz

chirionutz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
UPDATE!
I have managed to force edid using this tutorial: http://olarila.com/f....php?f=18&t=736

No more ghost screen! No more aticonfig=Hoolock needed.

Yes! Here you are:

I am a noob, I do not know how to delete the connector from the profile. I would appreciate it very much if you could do it for me and send me the file already modified.

I have tried Eulemur with an external monitor (VGA). I was able to reach the vga monitor only. The laptop display was black with backlight. No ghost screen, but no laptop display.

I also have an HDMI connection, but didn't try that. I won't use it soon anyway.

I have tried SwitchRes X to disable the VGA (ghost) display, but I couldn't do that. It seams that ghost display is indispensable for Hoolock and can not be disabled for real.

Attached Files

yurki

yurki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have this hawk in my hackintosh, would this kext modification
also work somehow for snow leopard 10.6.6?
Or could anybody advice me on t his? I don't know if I can and/or
want to go to lion yet...

axm

axm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Has someone already modified the ATI5000Controller.kext for Lion 10.7.3 and could share it with us? :)
Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy