P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

^Andy^, with the Mountain Lion released just a couple of days ago, I wanted to ask whether you're planning to upgrade your highly popular installation package for the shiny new 10.8 ?

L.E.: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=276380 (for anyone else who might be interested in ML.)

• 3 years later...

Great forum and thread!

I am a total numpty with Hackintosh, but love a challenge and to learn new stuff :)

I realize this is an old thread but anyway:

Here is my list of hardware:

Asus P8P67 PRO, Rev 3.0 B3 with 2303 standard bios

i7 2600K

Gigabyte GTX 570 with 1280 mb

I started with the Snow Leopard thread and successfully installed OS X 10.6.8 where as far as I can tell everything works except the GPU card. Using GraphicsEnabler=Yes I get correct info in system profiler bar for resolution which is stated as 1024 x 768. This is also the only available resolution in System Preferences / Display.

Then I tried to follow the ML DP install guide, but got either a non bootable usb or bootable with kernel panic a few seconds after selecting the USB stick from chameleon, (not sure what in my build made the difference). Since I created the stick from a 10.8.4 installer and not the DP 10.8 I assume that is the problem. Or that I am screwing something up building the USB stick...

Ok so that is why I am now trying to install Lion which does not work. I can make the USB stick bootable  in bios and also select it at the Chameleon screen but once the OSX installer has spent a few minutes at the gray apple logo I get a "no entry" sign. The OSX circular progress symbol keeps churning on but nothing further happens. I have tried to build the usb stick from the app store 10.7.5 installer as well as the GM 10.7.

Just to rule out a few uncertainties I have a few questions:

"2 - Use disk utility to format your USB stick or drive as mac os extended with GUID partition table,"

Would using Extended (journaled) make a difference? Extended journaled is mentioned in many "make a Lion USB installer" guides on the net.  

"9 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',"

Would TICKING erase destination make any difference? I mean the partition is empty anyway. I am asking as I have also tried to build the usb stick on a Macbook Pro running Mavericks where the disk utility does not have the tick box for erasing.

"17 - copy the Extra folder downloaded above to the root of the usb stick/drive,

18 - run the andyboot5 package relevant to your motherboard and select your usb stick or drive as the target,"

The Extra folder contains Preboot.dmg and the hidden com.apple.Boot.plist. After the package is installed the com.apple.Boot.plist gets placed in a backup folder and a new com.apple.Boot.plist takes its place. Is this the correct way?

Should perhaps the Preboot.dmg be mounted on the desktop and its content be copied into the Extra folder?

Cheers,

Andy