P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi andy, thanks for the tutorial.. my sabertooth p67 is running now Lion !

Couple of questions.

1- is the speed step working whit this ?
2-the kernel cache feature can be enable ? ( how )

Thanks !

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Hi andy, thanks for the tutorial.. my sabertooth p67 is running now Lion !

Couple of questions.

1- is the speed step working whit this ?
2-the kernel cache feature can be enable ? ( how )

Thanks !

Speedstep - no or at least not as far as I know,
KernelCache - yes should be working, add a UseKernelCache key to your com.apple.Boot.plist and set it to yes. You may need to boot with -f the first time after you add this flag if it doesn;t load properly.

Hi,

guess I am a super-dummy .. :)
I did all as told but the stick don´t boots, stuck on a black screen with non blinking white cursor top left before any bootloader appears.
P8P67 Pro, i2600k.
Tried Disk warrior 4.2 on the stick, no succes.
Any Idea?

Thanks! :)

Have you managed to boot using this same usb stick previously?
How are you booting from the usb stick - are you using f8 at startup to select the boot drive?
Are you sure you ran the package selecting the usb drive as the target?
Did you remember to copy the contents of the downloaded 'Extra' folder to the 'Extra' folder on the usb drive?

Tried twice now, and like ateam I'm not ending up with a bootable USB stick. Any ideas where we're going wrong?

Are you remembering to download the linked Extra folder and copy its contents to the Extra on the usb drive?

It booted straight away without the need to run your install program again!
The only problem I have is no sound... Any suggestions on how to get it again????

That's why you have no sound, running the install package would have fixed that :D

On these steps
"6 - In disk utility look to the bottom left to find 'BaseSystem.dmg', right click it and select 'Restore',
7 - Drag your formatted USB stick or drive into the 'destination' box, untick 'erase destination' and click 'Restore',"
When I click restore the "Source" box is empty, I assume I drag basesystem.dmg into source?

For me the source box was prepopulated with the 'BaseSystem.dmg' file name after right clicking and selecting restore however if it isn't then just drag the file into the source box.

Also, when you get to the step of copying the extra folder to the USB stick, do you replace the one that was installed by the AndyBoot package, or do you add the files to that folder?

You need to add them, I have switched the order of steps 15 and 16 in the guide now to avoid the confusion - thanks for spotting that!

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Not sure if you'll be able to help since I used a combination of methods Andy, but hoping you'll have an idea. I never managed to get a bootable USB drive using your instructions, so I followed the instructions in this thread

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=259068

Just up to the mkboot command that made the USB stick. I then did the lion install, and when it booted I used your AndyBoot package. Installed great, I'm booting up fine off the hard drive, internet works, only thing that I'm having a problem with is Audio. If I go to about this mac/more info/system report, it shows 2 Intel HD Audios, one just says Audio ID 892, the 2nd has that and a list of outputs. Under Sound preferences though, the only option for output is my ACD's built in speakers. Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, I tried to reinstall your package to see if that might help. I heard my speakers pop on, went into sound preferences and all my outputs were there. Picked the right one, everything was working great......restarted the computer and it's back the way it was, all the output options are gone and my only sound option is the ACD.

Run ##### and install the audio kexts for ALC892 (follow Andy's post in the original P8P67 Pro Install guide). I am just repeating Andy's post: Check System Utilities, and in Audio kexts check ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDARollback, and in Non-DSDT HDAEnabler check ALC892 (assuming you have the Pro Board). You can also install the NEC USB3.0 kexts in case they are not already enabled using Andy's package. Reboot after install.

psxdadz

psxdadz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Andy i wonder if you can help i installed Lion from your Tut and it works like a charm problem is i can't load parallels
actually parallels installs but win 7 won't it says can't load parallels driver something about intel virtual men in bios which i enabled
any ideas its parallels ver 6.0
thanks

pizazz2007

pizazz2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Thank you Andy!! Smooth install from a bootable USB to a desktop.

Without GraphicsEnabler my Reference 6870 was NOT automatically recognized. Is that the experience of others?

DVD player was crashing and no ripples when adding new widgets in Dashboard. Setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the card is recognized as a 6870! DVD player works. However, still no ripples on adding widgets. Any help would be appreciated. ioreg shows that the Duckweed framebuffer was loaded. Thank you.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Andy i wonder if you can help i installed Lion from your Tut and it works like a charm problem is i can't load parallels
actually parallels installs but win 7 won't it says can't load parallels driver something about intel virtual men in bios which i enabled
any ideas its parallels ver 6.0
thanks

H'mm never used parallels before but thought I'd test it to see what's going on and hate to say it but using the 14 day trial of parallels 6 I installed xp pro and win 7 64 from iso images without a problem :)

Thank you Andy!! Smooth install from a bootable USB to a desktop.

Without GraphicsEnabler my Reference 6870 was NOT automatically recognized. Is that the experience of others?

DVD player was crashing and no ripples when adding new widgets in Dashboard. Setting GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the card is recognized as a 6870! DVD player works. However, still no ripples on adding widgets. Any help would be appreciated. ioreg shows that the Duckweed framebuffer was loaded. Thank you.

Run cinebench is probably a good way to determine if acceleration is working!

Aznboy1993

Aznboy1993

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hey Andy thanks for this guide! I installed Lion GM perfectly (new installation).

Seems like everything is working minus SpeedStep (it wasn't working on Snow Leopard for me either), sleep (I get kernel panics if I use SleepEnabler.kext and pmVersion=23 in com.apple.Boot.plist), and USB 3.0.

Should I use ##### to install USB 3.0 support? Also why does it show iMac Summer 2001 on About this Mac? I know it is cosmetic but it is annoying the **** out me :P Also could you update the smbios to iMac12,2 in your install package (if that is not too much work).

Thanks again Andy!

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Hey Andy thanks for this guide! I installed Lion GM perfectly (new installation).

Seems like everything is working minus SpeedStep (it wasn't working on Snow Leopard for me either), sleep (I get kernel panics if I use SleepEnabler.kext and pmVersion=23 in com.apple.Boot.plist), and USB 3.0.

Should I use ##### to install USB 3.0 support? Also why does it show iMac Summer 2001 on About this Mac? I know it is cosmetic but it is annoying the **** out me ;) Also could you update the smbios to iMac12,2 in your install package (if that is not too much work).

Thanks again Andy!

I tried changing the smbios to imac12,2 with dp4 but it still showed up as Summer 2001 :P

This is where I kind of need feedback other than 'it didnt work' or 'my tea got cold' or 'My monitor turned into a transformer, stole all beer and moved in with my girlfriend'

On a slightly more serious note usb3 should already be included and work but if it doesn't and you fix it then let me know so I can do something about it in the install packages :censored2:

Aznboy1993

Aznboy1993

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I tried changing the smbios to imac12,2 with dp4 but it still showed up as Summer 2001 :D

This is where I kind of need feedback other than 'it didnt work' or 'my tea got cold' or 'My monitor turned into a transformer, stole all beer and moved in with my girlfriend'

On a slightly more serious note usb3 should already be included and work but if it doesn't and you fix it then let me know so I can do something about it in the install packages :)

OK I got it working. I used ##### and installed the iMac12,2 SMBIOS.plist and it works fine now.

As for USB 3.0 I just used ##### to install the .kext and it's working now (IDK why it's not working directly from your package).

I still can't get sleep to work. Is there another SleepEnabler.kext that we need to use, specific for Lion? Also is the pmVersion different, too (in Snow Leopard pmVersion=22 worked for me)?

Another problem I have encountered is my Logitech G700 is really choppy. Like the cursor randomly jumps across the screen sometimes. It was working fine under 10.6.8 but now with 10.7 it's acting all crazy :blink:

Thanks again Andy!

P.S. I also edited my Bluetooth adapter to enable it to wake from sleep via Bluetooth.

Also I can't figure out for the life of me how to add applications into the Launchpad?!

Valmar

Valmar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Andy do you know why the internal BT adapter is not working with the Trackpad properly?

scuzy

scuzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I keep getting a kernel panic booting form chameleon selecting the usb drive. Gets a kernel mismatch error.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Andy do you know why the internal BT adapter is not working with the Trackpad properly?

I thnk thats just a limitation of the bluetooth adapter that Asus have used or the firmware that's being loaded into it.

I keep getting a kernel panic booting form chameleon selecting the usb drive. Gets a kernel mismatch error.

Use f8 to select the usb drive as the boot device and boot directly from it.

OK I got it working. I used ##### and installed the iMac12,2 SMBIOS.plist and it works fine now.

As for USB 3.0 I just used ##### to install the .kext and it's working now (IDK why it's not working directly from your package).

I still can't get sleep to work. Is there another SleepEnabler.kext that we need to use, specific for Lion? Also is the pmVersion different, too (in Snow Leopard pmVersion=22 worked for me)?

Another problem I have encountered is my Logitech G700 is really choppy. Like the cursor randomly jumps across the screen sometimes. It was working fine under 10.6.8 but now with 10.7 it's acting all crazy :)

Thanks again Andy!

P.S. I also edited my Bluetooth adapter to enable it to wake from sleep via Bluetooth.

Also I can't figure out for the life of me how to add applications into the Launchpad?!

Cool, I'll take a look at that tonight (time permitting).

scuzy

scuzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Andy I got it working. Now on to getting it to sleep properly.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Cool, I'll take a look at that tonight (time permitting).

Just uploading rebuilt packages now (added the smbios change and added the usb3.0 kext back in because it had somehow fallen out of the package amongst the recent changes)..

P8P67 Sabertooth package (would appreciate feedback if you own a P8P67 Sabertooth board because I can't test this one myself) http://www.mediafire...uahydjc0koyyuvk

P8P67 Pro package http://www.mediafire...ytr7cp3gh46ovka

P8P67 standard package http://www.mediafire...a1y7rgrxy3ems8c

peebee01

peebee01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Thanks Andy. Followed your guide and installer package on my P8P67.
I booted into 10.6.7 install
cloned my 10.6.7 drive using carbon copy
Upgraded to 10.6.8
prepared lion USB boot disk
rebooted using lion boot disk
upgraded cloned hard drive running 10.6.8 to lion
booted from cloned drive

So now I can choose to either stick with SL or move to Lion at the push of (BIOS setting) button both with all my programs/settings all the way I like them

Thanks for all your support to this community!

Only issue I spotted so far is that google chrome doesnt close properly preventing restart. Seems a known issue.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thanks Andy. Followed your guide and installer package on my P8P67.
I booted into 10.6.7 install
cloned my 10.6.7 drive using carbon copy
Upgraded to 10.6.8
prepared lion USB boot disk
rebooted using lion boot disk
upgraded cloned hard drive running 10.6.8 to lion
booted from cloned drive

OMG you are as bad as me!! ;) lol

scuzy

scuzy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Andy every time i rerun your p8p67 pro package i can't seem to boot back into OSX and need to do a reinstall of some sort. Is there a process i need to do before running the pkg file again ontop of the current install? Like i'll get the cross out logo over the apple logo during bootup after a bit of time.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Andy every time i rerun your p8p67 pro package i can't seem to boot back into OSX and need to do a reinstall of some sort. Is there a process i need to do before running the pkg file again ontop of the current install? Like i'll get the cross out logo over the apple logo during bootup after a bit of time.

nope - should just work. Are you booting from the drive that you installed to or do you possibly have another drive as the boot drive with it's bootloader possibly screwing things up?

What you are doing is one of the first things I try when testing the packages - I run it over the top of my existing install and if that works I then do a clean install to an external drive.

sea_man

sea_man

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

P8P67 Sabertooth package (would appreciate feedback if you own a P8P67 Sabertooth board because I can't test this one myself) http://www.mediafire...uahydjc0koyyuvk

Thanks for the pack for sabertooth users, i will try asap.

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thanks for the pack for sabertooth users, i will try asap.

Make a backup first!!!! - I don't want angry sabertooth users hunting me down if it goes pearshaped! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy