OSX Lion 10.7 DP4/GM/RETAIL on VirtualBox 4.0

68 posts in this topic

I am having some issues location the kexthelper.app. I tried searching the install dmg as well as the base, but couldn't locate it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm guessing it's a downloadable application. I checked google, but I wasn't sure on a valid location.

I used http://cheetha.net/ and it worked fine. I guess a recommended link would be helpful in original post.

Awesome! Thank you guys!

I had a few more questions:

- Have any of you been able to install guest additions in the VM? I'm unable to find any of OS X.

- When the VM boots, I see all the white writing (instead of the gray apple screen) is this normal?

- I see during boot that I get a:

IntelThermal: [Warning] Unsupported Intel processor found, kext will not load

IntelThermal: Based on code by mercurysquad superhai ©2008

The VM does boot, but I was just wanted to see if these errors were causing any problems.

Thanks again!

Adam

I got Lion working earlier on Virtualbox

Then decided to check if anyone else has done it here and found this thread :D

I have it running without FakeSMC & without nullCPUPowermanagenent

I also had a little problem with the resolution mode in EFI :( for some reason editing the vbox file wasn't working so I had to run the command via:

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

To run without FakeSMC u can add:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>

I'm running linux vbox version 4.0.12-1

I installed using chameleon, then removed /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Then enabled EFI and everything seems to be working.

I got Lion working earlier on Virtualbox

Then decided to check if anyone else has done it here and found this thread :D

I have it running without FakeSMC & without nullCPUPowermanagenent

I also had a little problem with the resolution mode in EFI :( for some reason editing the vbox file wasn't working so I had to run the command via:

VBoxManage setextradata "VM name" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode N

To run without FakeSMC u can add:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>

I'm running linux vbox version 4.0.12-1

I installed using chameleon, then removed /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

Then enabled EFI and everything seems to be working.

Hi Equilibrium1,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience :(

PippoX0

Hi,

First of All -> GM is the Retail so Retail Lion runs on VirtualBox ... :(

post-161756-1311235317_thumb.jpg

Second , i try out OpenGL Viewer 4.0 on VMM and i get some info :

Up to OpenGL ver. 3.2 is fully supported .

From 3.3 to 4.0 OpenGL is not actually supported

post-161756-1311235331_thumb.jpg

Hi equilibrium1,

What Linux system are you running Virtualbox on, 32bit or 64bit?

Also what is performance like on your system and have you tried Lion on 4.1 of VB?

Thank you for your time.

All the best.

NSCXP2005

Hi equilibrium1,

What Linux system are you running Virtualbox on, 32bit or 64bit?

Also what is performance like on your system and have you tried Lion on 4.1 of VB?

Thank you for your time.

All the best.

NSCXP2005

I'm running on Archlinux x64 with openbox

The performance with EFI mode enabled is pretty quick.

It's fast enough for testing stuff out ;) I only really installed it for testing.

With EFI enabled the sound doesn't distort, but with EFI off I get distortion and jerkiness in sounds.

I've not really been using it to any extent atm but it does seem stable.

I just updated Virtualbox to 4.1.0-2 and noticed a few things had changed :(

The main thing I noticed was the internal HDD icon on the desktop was yellow/orange as if it was removable storage. It also seemed a bit slow and the sounds were buggy.

On rebooting with EFI disabled (using chameleon + kexts) the drive showed up as normal and the boot time was also a lot quicker.

So I had a look and Realised on my chameleon I had:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext & AHCIPortInjector.kext

So I installed them both to the system, re-enabled EFI and it seemed to fix the HDD issue. The drive is now silver as before and the system seems as it was before upgrading to 4.1.0-2 ;)

sudo -s
cp -fr IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
cp -fr AHCIPortInjector.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

can someone upload an edited OSInstall.mpkg for me please? I only have access to my Windows which.. can't really edit the file.. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

You can use the OsInstall.mpkg i uploaded in my post easy install - is Vmm patched and 1024 mb ram patched so you can install even in a vmm with only 1024 ram .

You find it in the first posts of this discussion ...

PippoX0

It's working pretty solidly for me. One issue. I get occasional kernel panics. Perhaps one every few hours. Here's an example output:

er active on CPU 0x5~@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.22.7
Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff8045883d40 : 0xffffff8000220702 mach_kernel : _panic + 0x242
0xffffff8045883dc0 : 0xffffff80002b7059 mach_kernel : _uisimple_lock + 0x139
0xffffff8045883df0 : 0xffffff800022d341 mach_kernel : _processor_idle + 0x121
0xffffff8045883e30 : 0xffffff800022dfa0 mach_kernel : _thread_go + 0x260
0xffffff8045883e90 : 0xffffff800022f353 mach_kernel : _thread_block_reason + 0x113
0xffffff8045883ef0 : 0xffffff80002157ff mach_kernel : _ipc_mqueue_receive + 0x3f
0xffffff8045883f10 : 0xffffff800021bc5a mach_kernel : _mach_msg_overwrite_trap + 0x1ba
0xffffff8045883f70 : 0xffffff80002ae380 mach_kernel : _thread_set_child + 0x150
0xffffff8045883fb0 : 0xffffff80002d83a3 mach_kernel : _hndl_mach_scall64 + 0x13

BSD process name corresponsing to current thread: mdworker

VB settings: 6 CPUs (out of 16 on 2600K). 2G memory. SATA controller has use I/O cache. Everything else as described here. Using VB 4.1.0.

I've tried removing SMC kext (and using extra settings). No change.

Anyone else seeing panics? Anyone solved panics? Any other suggestions?

It's working pretty solidly for me. One issue. I get occasional kernel panics. Perhaps one every few hours.

VB settings: 6 CPUs (out of 16 on 2600K). 2G memory. SATA controller has use I/O cache. Everything else as described here. Using VB 4.1.0.

I've tried removing SMC kext (and using extra settings). No change.

Anyone else seeing panics? Anyone solved panics? Any other suggestions?

It surely a specific CPU error related to your Intel i7-2600K Cpu. I can't help on testing because i have a merely Intel Core2 Duo, however try to assign less virtual CPU on your Vbox (like 2-4 Cpu).

For some reason there is some incompatibility with your CPU and VT-x (be sure it enabled on Bios)

PippoX0

It surely a specific CPU error related to your Intel i7-2600K Cpu. I can't help on testing because i have a merely Intel Core2 Duo, however try to assign less virtual CPU on your Vbox (like 2-4 Cpu).

For some reason there is some incompatibility with your CPU and VT-x (be sure it enabled on Bios)

PippoX0

Virtualisation is enabled in Bios. I've switched down to one core, and I'll keep an eye on it. It does run a lot faster with more though...

Virtualisation is enabled in Bios. I've switched down to one core, and I'll keep an eye on it. It does run a lot faster with more though...

Ok , report us if the problem is resolved or if it manifests less times

PippoX0

Hi everybody,

I have sandy bridge i7 PC and [ EASY INSTALL - LION GM/RETAIL UPDATE ] guide did not result in success.

I have changed procedure a little bit and it worked !!!

Changes:

- I did not install * fakesmc.kext

- I added

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"/>

to vbox file.

My guess is that fakesmc.kext does not know about i7 processors.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post. I've tried many times with my 2 PCs (E5700 and Core i3 370M)

Both of them cant finish install (5 mins remaining)

and show this screen

post-583027-1313421544_thumb.png

Plz help me, thankyou very much

btw, Im using vb 4.1

UPDATED

I can install Lion successfull, but when restart, boot using Hackboot lion, it doesnt show Lion disk (only show HackBoot)

• 4 weeks later...

First, thanks for the great guide! Got everything up and running until the change from using the boot cd to efi. When I boot with EFI I get the following problem, I am running on an Sandy Bridge i5 if that is of any help.

Has anyone got a clue how to fix this, besides continuoulsy booting with the boot cd?

post-871638-1315339843_thumb.png

is the GRAPHICS performance better than on Vmware?

iam running Lion on the latest VMWare, i can play chess, but its very very laggy...

i seen your screenshot and can you set more VRam than 32MB? can you test with GLView application?