[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

ok i have lion up and running however I am having trouble post install. I am not sure what information from the original post to use, as it is for snow leopard. What steps do I take to install the files in charliesheens file package for lion? I am going to try to install the kexts through a guide or something and ill take it from there.

For lion, do i still do the same things in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] that were done in sl? I wish there were a step by step guide for lion :/

Please read the entire thread ad not just the first post. There have been people who have had the same problems. CharlieSheen had already attached the kexts for Lion if you looked through the thread. I've also modified the initial thread so that it's mentioned at the top, including the link to the kext pack.

In SL QE/CI works, but its very buggy, with dashboard widgets not having ripple effect, and a white menubar being the most notable glitches. all of this is fixed with Lion. And I never had a problem with the full 8GB, i don't know why some people did.

Regarding the wireless card, AirDrop doesn't work because my DW1510 is recognized as a 'third party wireless card'. I have to rebrand it to an AirPort Extreme wireless card.

P.S: Your inbox is full so I can't pm you. =)

Regarding the wireless card, AirDrop doesn't work because my DW1510 is recognized as a 'third party wireless card'. I have to rebrand it to an AirPort Extreme wireless card.

P.S: Your inbox is full so I can't pm you. =)

That's strange mine works with AirDrop OOB, probably differences in eBay sellers.

Also in response to the cooling problem you have earlier, it shouldn't be averaging in the 70s when not under heavy load in Canada. I live in South Carolina, where temperatures are 90-100 Fahrenheit in the summer, and I get much lower temperatures. The temps fluctuate depending on the room and time of year too. So, have you confirmed you have speedstep working, and you said no fan at all comes on at 70? I can hear a distinct loud fan when I have hit the mid-60s. Try using MSR tools (only works when booting with arch=i386) and see whats going on in there.

Also, after looking into 64-bit GeekBench score results, the 720QM seems to outperform the Sandy Bridge i5-2415 in the Early 2011 MBP, and all the Sandy Bridges (i5 and i7) that are available for MacBook Airs.

That's strange mine works with AirDrop OOB, probably differences in eBay sellers.

Also in response to the cooling problem you have earlier, it shouldn't be averaging in the 70s when not under heavy load in Canada. I live in South Carolina, where temperatures are 90-100 Fahrenheit in the summer, and I get much lower temperatures. The temps fluctuate depending on the room and time of year too. So, have you confirmed you have speedstep working, and you said no fan at all comes on at 70? I can hear a distinct loud fan when I have hit the mid-60s. Try using MSR tools (only works when booting with arch=i386) and see whats going on in there.

Also, after looking into 64-bit GeekBench score results, the 720QM seems to outperform the Sandy Bridge i5-2415 in the Early 2011 MBP, and all the Sandy Bridges (i5 and i7) that are available for MacBook Airs.

Some bcm4322 wireless cards (i.e the DW1510) don't have Apple's vendor ID on it so it's recognized by OSX as a 'third party wireless card'. The downside for this seems to be lowered speed rates from the wireless card as well as AirDrop functionality. I'll be following this guide to rebrand my wireless card later today: http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-broa...rds-as-airport/

It requires a linux installation though, Ubuntu is recommended. I have Ubuntu installed on my system (and compared to Windows and OS X, it's the most stable!) so I won't have a problem, but others would have to download and make a bootable CD or USB (preferred) and run Ubuntu.

I realized that when I mentioned the temperatures, I didn't mention that I was following degree celsius. That was ignorant of me haha.

I haven't tested to check speedstep functionality yet but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'll do a check for that later in the day and post back.

My fan controls seem to work sometimes. When it doesn't, if my fans were on high before OS X boots up, it says that way through out until next reboot.

I do get random kp's sometimes but it doesn't what exactly causes it. A restart fixes it, or a restart with boot flag '-f'.

Some bcm4322 wireless cards (i.e the DW1510) don't have Apple's vendor ID on it so it's recognized by OSX as a 'third party wireless card'. The downside for this seems to be lowered speed rates from the wireless card as well as AirDrop functionality. I'll be following this guide to rebrand my wireless card later today: http://prasys.info/2009/12/rebranding-broa...rds-as-airport/

It requires a linux installation though, Ubuntu is recommended. I have Ubuntu installed on my system (and compared to Windows and OS X, it's the most stable!) so I won't have a problem, but others would have to download and make a bootable CD or USB (preferred) and run Ubuntu.

I realized that when I mentioned the temperatures, I didn't mention that I was following degree celsius. That was ignorant of me haha.

I haven't tested to check speedstep functionality yet but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I'll do a check for that later in the day and post back.

My fan controls seem to work sometimes. When it doesn't, if my fans were on high before OS X boots up, it says that way through out until next reboot.

I do get random kp's sometimes but it doesn't what exactly causes it. A restart fixes it, or a restart with boot flag '-f'.

Well, I think OSX does naturally run hotter than windows though

MSRtools-3.2GHz.jpg

that pic is taken from a real 2011 MBP.

What does it say when it KP's?

This is my MRS Tools output:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=99823

The prasys.info link you gave me is the same one I posted earlier haha. Thanks though.

I think I know why AirDrop doesn't work for me. It might be because of the PCI id of my wireless card not how OSX recognizes my wireless card.

Could you tell me what your wireless PCI id? Mine is 14e4:432b and I'm sure that it'll be different from yours.

I'll try to rebrand my wireless card again, and this time, I'll try changing the PCI id to yours.

It's under IORegistryExplorer, search for AirPort_Brcm43224 and look for 'IONameMatched'.

Heres what it says in my system profiler

Software Versions:
 CoreWLAN:	2.0 (200.46)
 CoreWLANKit:	1.0 (100.43)
 Menu Extra:	7.0 (700.42)
 configd plug-in:	7.0 (700.57)
 System Profiler:	7.0 (700.3)
 IO80211 Family:	4.0 (400.40)
 WiFi Diagnostics:	1.0 (100.26)
 AirPort Utility:	5.5.3 (553.20)
 Interfaces:
en1:
 Card Type:	Third-Party Wireless Card
 MAC Address:	xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
 Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
 Supported Channels:	Removed so screen won't stretch.
 Wake On Wireless:	Supported
 AirDrop:	Supported
 Current Network Information:
 PHY Mode:	802.11g
 BSSID:	00:14:bf:82:bc:d9
 Network Type:	Infrastructure
 Security:	WPA2 Personal
 Signal / Noise:	-66 dBm / -91 dBm
 Transmit Rate:	54
 Other Local Wi-Fi Networks:

The device id should be the same, go into the extensions tab and see what Broadcom related kext is loaded. What I am thinking is you may have gotten another card sold as a 1510, but yet somehow works with OS X OOB. My next loaded is AirPortBrdcm4331

I've got Lion installed now thanks to you guys (had to install some extra ATI Kexts that weren't in CharlieSheen's pack though to get the graphics and 1080p resolution working right)

only problem I'm still having is the temperature, I have to run the install with my 1558 resting on the back of it's screen so it gets enough air. This is a problem I've always had when trying to use install and run OSX.

I was getting up to 77 degrees on the desktop

When I was experimenting with Snow Leopard I did install a particular kext that fixed it, I could even use the laptop on my lap.

I can't for the life of me remember which one it was though, I'm sure it was one mentioned here.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I've been playing around and have managed to install a kext which has caused KP, how can I remove it/rebuild the cache now that I can't access this installation?

Heres what it says in my system profiler

Software Versions:
 CoreWLAN:	2.0 (200.46)
 CoreWLANKit:	1.0 (100.43)
 Menu Extra:	7.0 (700.42)
 configd plug-in:	7.0 (700.57)
 System Profiler:	7.0 (700.3)
 IO80211 Family:	4.0 (400.40)
 WiFi Diagnostics:	1.0 (100.26)
 AirPort Utility:	5.5.3 (553.20)
 Interfaces:
en1:
 Card Type:	Third-Party Wireless Card
 MAC Address:	
 Supported PHY Modes:	802.11 a/b/g/n
 Supported Channels:	1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40,
44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 
132, 136, 140, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
 Wake On Wireless:	Supported
 AirDrop:	Supported
 Current Network Information:
 PHY Mode:	802.11g
 BSSID:
 Network Type:	Infrastructure
 Security:	WPA2 Personal
 Signal / Noise:	-66 dBm / -91 dBm
 Transmit Rate:	54
 Other Local Wi-Fi Networks:

The device id should be the same, go into the extensions tab and see what Broadcom related kext is loaded. What I am thinking is you may have gotten another card sold as a 1510, but yet somehow works with OS X OOB. My next loaded is AirPortBrdcm4331

Your system profiler looks similar to mine excluding the AirDrop supported line. Just for confirmation, could you please provide your PCI id. My wireless card uses the AppleAirPortbrcm43224 kext. The kext matches my device with the id in that kext which the PCI id 14e4:432b.

Since you're wireless card is using the AppleAirPortbrcm4311 kext, it probably matches a different PCI id with it. I'm hoping I can rebrand my card to use the same PCI id as yours.

P.S: You should remove your MAC addresses from your post.

I've got Lion installed now thanks to you guys (had to install some extra ATI Kexts that weren't in CharlieSheen's pack though to get the graphics and 1080p resolution working right)

only problem I'm still having is the temperature, I have to run the install with my 1558 resting on the back of it's screen so it gets enough air. This is a problem I've always had when trying to use install and run OSX.

I was getting up to 77 degrees on the desktop

When I was experimenting with Snow Leopard I did install a particular kext that fixed it, I could even use the laptop on my lap.

I can't for the life of me remember which one it was though, I'm sure it was one mentioned here.

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I've been playing around and have managed to install a kext which has caused KP, how can I remove it/rebuild the cache now that I can't access this installation?

EvilBoris,

Does your system go to 77 degs celsius when idle? Have you been able to get QE/CI working? I've been able to get my screen resolution working but without graphics acceleration (i.e QE/CI) and that's been known to cause overheating.

What I do when I know which specific kext is causing a KP, I load up by Snow Leopard installation disk (with Chameleon RC5 r650) and open up the Terminal under utilities.

cd to the extensions folder (eg. cd /Volumes/Lion/System/Library/Extensions) and remove the kext with "rm -rf ***.kext".

Then remember to repair permissions with "diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/Lion".

Restart.

Your system profiler looks similar to mine excluding the AirDrop supported line. Just for confirmation, could you please provide your PCI id. My wireless card uses the AppleAirPortbrcm43224 kext. The kext matches my device with the id in that kext which the PCI id 14e4:432b.

Since you're wireless card is using the AppleAirPortbrcm4311 kext, it probably matches a different PCI id with it. I'm hoping I can rebrand my card to use the same PCI id as yours.

P.S: You should remove your MAC addresses from your post.

EvilBoris,

Does your system go to 77 degs celsius when idle? Have you been able to get QE/CI working? I've been able to get my screen resolution working but without graphics acceleration (i.e QE/CI) and that's been known to cause overheating.

What I do when I know which specific kext is causing a KP, I load up by Snow Leopard installation disk (with Chameleon RC5 r650) and open up the Terminal under utilities.

cd to the extensions folder (eg. cd /Volumes/Lion/System/Library/Extensions) and remove the kext with "rm -rf ***.kext".

Then remember to repair permissions with "diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/Lion".

Restart.

Ah thanks for that!

I've not checked to see if QE/CI was working, but the overheating has always been a problem on my system whenever I ran any version of OSX, regardless of what resolution I was running or if I had the ATI stuff installed.

It appears that my PCI ID is the same as yours 14e4:432b.

This is pretty strange. I'm attaching a screenshot of my IORegistryExplorer:

The second P2PInterface loses the red and strikethrough when you are using airdrop.

post-257629-1313101852_thumb.png

It appears that my PCI ID is the same as yours 14e4:432b.

This is pretty strange. I'm attaching a screenshot of my IORegistryExplorer:

The second P2PInterface loses the red and strikethrough when you are using airdrop.

post-257629-1313101852_thumb.png

What's strange is that you have a AirPortbrcm4331 kext. In your earlier post I thought it you made a typo. In my IO80211Family kext I only have brcm4311 and brcm43224 kexts. Could you send me your IO80211Family.kext

I believe this is the IO80211Family kext that I got off kexts.com. It might be outdated...

Ah thanks for that!

I've not checked to see if QE/CI was working, but the overheating has always been a problem on my system whenever I ran any version of OSX, regardless of what resolution I was running or if I had the ATI stuff installed.

You know what, I think you ought to clean out your hardware. I used to average at 70s on Windows/Linux (didn't have OSX installed then). When I gave my system for servicing, I was told it was due to a lot of dust that had built up over a year.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

aha thats probably the problem, I am using the kext that came with Lion.

The kext is 14MB, so Ill upload it on mediafire or something in a bit.

This is a screenshot of AirDrop working:

post-257629-1313117645_thumb.png

Edit: Mediafires not working right now, will try later.

aha thats probably the problem, I am using the kext that came with Lion.

The kext is 14MB, so Ill upload it on mediafire or something in a bit.

This is a screenshot of AirDrop working:

post-257629-1313117645_thumb.png

Edit: Mediafires not working right now, will try later.

Take your time, I won't have access to my computer for a day or two. Wow, I can't believe the kext is 14mb. It better be worth it lol.

You know what, I think you ought to clean out your hardware. I used to average at 70s on Windows/Linux (didn't have OSX installed then). When I gave my system for servicing, I was told it was due to a lot of dust that had built up over a year.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

I thought it might be dust , but I still float around 70 degrees in windows. It's specific to something in OSX for me, ubuntu has no issues either.

Weirdly it seems to last far longer when I'm on AC power.

I'm using bios version A12, which was supposed to help with some recognised overheating issues, which 1558 bios have you got installed.

I thought it might be dust , but I still float around 70 degrees in windows. It's specific to something in OSX for me, ubuntu has no issues either.

Weirdly it seems to last far longer when I'm on AC power.

I'm using bios version A12, which was supposed to help with some recognised overheating issues, which 1558 bios have you got installed.

Well, do you have speedstep working? Go run MSR Tools while booted into arch=i386 to find out. What processor do you have, and what DSDT are you using?

Well, do you have speedstep working? Go run MSR Tools while booted into arch=i386 to find out. What processor do you have, and what DSDT are you using?

Well I've just spent 2 hours dissembling my laptop to get to the fan. found a big lump of lint/dust. Back to windows and now running at 50 degrees.

Seems like you were right, will have to try OSX in a minute.

I've got an i7 720qm and am using the DSDT from your 1558 r1 pack.

Well I've just spent 2 hours dissembling my laptop to get to the fan. found a big lump of lint/dust. Back to windows and now running at 50 degrees.

Yeah sounds like you just fixed it there. If it was an i5 or something and used that DSDT that would have caused that. I also have modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to do perfect the cooling and power management systems related to the GPU, I uploaded it to media fire here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?k165i3rbmnxkm1w

I'm glad you got that solved. You should try using the service manual when taking your laptop apart, they make it real easy to follow. I think I've linked it somewhere in this thread.

By the way, where exactly did you find majority of the dust/lint? I try taking my laptop apart every 3 months now to avoid that overheating problem happening again. I always had my battery in my laptop, so when it overheated it would heat up my battery too. If batteries get hot, it decreases their battery life over time. Mine did, to the point that it could only last 45 minutes or so. When I gave it for servicing, they changed the battery as well so now I'm pretty precautious about the temperature.

I'm glad you got that solved. You should try using the service manual when taking your laptop apart, they make it real easy to follow. I think I've linked it somewhere in this thread.

By the way, where exactly did you find majority of the dust/lint? I try taking my laptop apart every 3 months now to avoid that overheating problem happening again. I always had my battery in my laptop, so when it overheated it would heat up my battery too. If batteries get hot, it decreases their battery life over time. Mine did, to the point that it could only last 45 minutes or so. When I gave it for servicing, they changed the battery as well so now I'm pretty precautious about the temperature.

yeah I followed the service guide all the way through, I had it saved from when they send me a replacement keyboard.

There was barely any dust inside (well nothing that would affect airflow) except right inside the fan/heatsink exhaust thingy. You can literally lift the lid off after you remove a few screws from it. There was a proper sausage of fluff which had formed near a little bit of tape which they have used to block up a gap, whilst not blocking anything, was clearly affecting airflow.

A question to you guys, is the battery locking mechanism a bit iffy on your 1558s?

It never seems to lock in as I'd expect it to, but there is nothing visibly wrong with the battery or mechanism.

Just ordered a 1510 wireless card off ebay so I can get wireless working too :D

Again, good work for getting this all working, very clever.

yeah I followed the service guide all the way through, I had it saved from when they send me a replacement keyboard.

There was barely any dust inside (well nothing that would affect airflow) except right inside the fan/heatsink exhaust thingy. You can literally lift the lid off after you remove a few screws from it. There was a proper sausage of fluff which had formed near a little bit of tape which they have used to block up a gap, whilst not blocking anything, was clearly affecting airflow.

A question to you guys, is the battery locking mechanism a bit iffy on your 1558s?

It never seems to lock in as I'd expect it to, but there is nothing visibly wrong with the battery or mechanism.

Just ordered a 1510 wireless card off ebay so I can get wireless working too :P

Again, good work for getting this all working, very clever.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the battery but does seem a tiny bit loose. While it's locked it, you can adjust it a millimeter or two. If that's what you're talking about, it's nothing to worry about, really.

I made a note of the area the fluff builds up for future use. Thanks.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the battery but does seem a tiny bit loose. While it's locked it, you can adjust it a millimeter or two. If that's what you're talking about, it's nothing to worry about, really.

I made a note of the area the fluff builds up for future use. Thanks.

My battery doesn't really seem to lock very securely, I can pull it off without unlocking it, the slider only ever stays in the middle too (I assumed it should move all the way to one side when it is locked.