• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Has anyone managed to get HDMI audio to work? My DW1510 wireless card should arrive next week leaving only HDMI audio and sleep the only things not working.

I'm going try later on to create a dsdt that fixes the sleep problem. I read on a forum that if you edit it right you can get sleep to work without the sleep enabler kext.

The tonymacs thread suggests that with centrino wireless cards you might not be able to change the wireless card because the system won't accept any other brand. Also, from that thread it seems that that centrino card doesn't work just yet.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Ball
HDMI audio works with VoodooHDA. VoodooHDA, however has extreme distortions with the mic. There could be another way of doing that, Ill look into it.

Good luck with the sleep, ill try more with that as well with the DSDT and such

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the responses guys! I most likely will be buying #3. And then just buy a wifi adapter/card. Any recommendations?

I don't know if anybody has tried this, but I found a great tutorial for installing lion: http://tonymacx86.bl...x-107-lion.html

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
silly question, how do you install the extra kexts ffor lion? like sound and mouse post install

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

silly question, how do you install the extra kexts ffor lion? like sound and mouse post install

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/************.kext

When you manually add a kext, remember to repair permissions.

almuras

almuras

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Has anybody succeeded with Dell studio 1747 screen resolution?

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
The bidding ended on the laptop I was hoping to buy, but I found this one:
Dell Studio 1558 i7-720QM Bluray BT 1920x1080 Ruby Red | eBay
*(It has the all the same specs as Charlie Sheen's setup, but with bluetooth, 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, and a bluray drive.)

I dont't care if the drive doensnt read blurays, but I want to make sure it can still read DVDs?

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... ;)

And say I needed the 8gb of ram, how hard is it to install ram on the 1558? How much would this cost?

Thanks for the help on making this purchase guys, I hope to be a contributor to the development of hackintosh on this laptop once it ships to my house!

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

*(It has the all the same specs as Charlie Sheen's setup, but with bluetooth, 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, and a bluray drive.)

I dont't care if the drive doensnt read blurays, but I want to make sure it can still read DVDs?

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... :)

And say I needed the 8gb of ram, how hard is it to install ram on the 1558? How much would this cost?

Thanks for the help on making this purchase guys, I hope to be a contributor to the development of hackintosh on this laptop once it ships to my house!

Did you even read the first post of this thread?

Yeah, get this.

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/************.kext

When you manually add a kext, remember to repair permissions.

ok I'm slightly confused. I installed the generic mol dons usb method. and used the amsl ddst startup files bios and star up plist etc of the pack.
So its sound, battery and mouse that I need working.
I am a complete newb when it comes to OSX.
I tried to use the kextinstaller on ##### but it hung when installing and rebooting just gave it a grey screen. so i reinstalled.
Can i have a step by step for installing mouse, sound and battery for a complete newb with no prior knowledge! thanks.

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

ok I'm slightly confused. I installed the generic mol dons usb method. and used the amsl ddst startup files bios and star up plist etc of the pack.
So its sound, battery and mouse that I need working.
I am a complete newb when it comes to OSX.
I tried to use the kextinstaller on ##### but it hung when installing and rebooting just gave it a grey screen. so i reinstalled.
Can i have a step by step for installing mouse, sound and battery for a complete newb with no prior knowledge! thanks.

Are you trying to install OSX Lion or Snow Leopard?

Basically, after you've successfully installed either one (if you're installing Snow Leopard run the 10.6.7 Combo Update then continue). Then open #####, select OSx86 Software, System Utilities, Voodoo PS/2 Controller (Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enabler -> Micellaneous) and VoodooHDA 0.2.72 (Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enabler -> Audio -> Universal)

That should finish successfully to install the trackpad and Audio. Don't restart or anything.

Once that's completed, you should find Kext Helper b7 installed. Open it, and drag and drop the VoodooBattery kext I've attached on the first post of this thread. Enter in your password and hit enter. Once it's done and you try closing Kext Helper, the application might not close properly. It might stop responding. You'll be able to tell if you see the application icon in your Dock and right clicking it says it's not working. Don't worry, just force close it and it'll be fine.

Restart and you'll be good to go.

For Lion, it's the same process just download CharlieSheen's mediafire kext pack link ( http://www.mediafire...kh3vb7pth15jn91 ) and use his VoodooBattery kext.

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
thanks. Im on lion. so close started up and got the destop but the second screen. How do I get it back to first display? Seems to have made both trackpad and built in keyboard stop. Audio works. Can't tell about the battery as it is on second screen. Any ideas? Or shall I try again... also on charliesheens pack. Do I need to install the other kexts not documented anywhere? Also how? Many thanks

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Ball

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... :thumbsup_anim:

It should play DVDs, and as for blu-rays theres a good chance it will work with third party software, as people with real mac pros install a blu-ray drive to it.

Not hard at all to install RAM, you need a small philips head screwdriver though. It takes DDR3 RAM, and at 1333Mhz, which is 55 to 60 dollars on newegg.

bluetooth works too i think, my laptop doesn't have it, but lifeliike27 got it to work on his.

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Alright, I just ordered my 1558 on ebay. It'll be here by thursday and I most likely will be making an image of the hard drive just to be safe. ;)

Sorry I must have missed the part on bluetooth. Thanks for all the responses, you guys are awesome!

Has anyone gotten dual boot working?

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Alright, I just ordered my 1558 on ebay. It'll be here by thursday and I most likely will be making an image of the hard drive just to be safe. ;)

Sorry I must have missed the part on bluetooth. Thanks for all the responses, you guys are awesome!

Has anyone gotten dual boot working?

I'm quad booting: Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac OS X and Fedora. Going to add elementaryOS next.

It's good you got the Ruby red covered one and not the black one. The red one has a matted finish so you don't get scratches on it that easily.

Not hard at all to install RAM, you need a small philips head screwdriver though.

You need the screwdriver just to open laptop from the bottom. You don't need to unscrew anything else!

Just wanted to mention this since sometimes people haven't changed RAM before and aren't 100% sure how to go about it.

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
@Lifelike

Yeah I really didnt take that into consideration... But if you could point me at an installation guide or something that you used to get your quad boot working, thatd be GREAT!

UHOH. I just saw this: Dell Studio 15 1557 & 1558 plagued with failures - CNET Laptop buying advice Forums

Has anyone experienced overheating issues with the 1558? This could be a major issue for me.. :D

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

@Lifelike

Yeah I really didnt take that into consideration... But if you could point me at an installation guide or something that you used to get your quad boot working, thatd be GREAT!

UHOH. I just saw this: Dell Studio 15 1557 & 1558 plagued with failures - CNET Laptop buying advice Forums

Has anyone experienced overheating issues with the 1558? This could be a major issue for me.. :D

well it does get warm and the fans cut in, but it works fine! mac and windows, although when installing lion for the first time make sure has plenty of air!
Then it all cools down a little. Not the quietest laptop, but a quick good one!

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

@Lifelike

Yeah I really didn't take that into consideration... But if you could point me at an installation guide or something that you used to get your quad boot working, thatd be GREAT!

Has anyone experienced overheating issues with the 1558? This could be a major issue for me.. :wacko:

I did have a heating problem. My laptop used to go from 70 to 100 degs in a second and eventually switch off from overheating. I sent it back to Dell and they told me it was just a dust build up. Since then, I haven't had a problem at all. 50 degs is my norm now.

Worst case scenario, if you're warranty runs out and you want to check for dust, use the service manual to figure out how to carefully take it apart. I've done it so far. http://support.dell....en/SM/index.htm
Remember to use an aerosol can to clean out any dust.

Do you plan on triple booting Ubuntu as well as Windows (triple boot)? If yes, follow this tutorial: http://francisbyrne.net/?p=16

When the author of the post talks about using an application called gptsync, DO NOT USE IT, it's outdated and can cause problems. I have a thread on the ubuntuforums.org where I've explained this problem and found help for it. Please read it as well. Basically, instead of using gptsync, you use gdisk to create a hybrid MBR for Windows to work. http://ubuntuforums....d.php?t=1758411

Also, to get all OSes boot from the unified linux bootloader GRUB, you can use this tutorial to chainload chameleon to GRUB so that you just have to use one menu for booting Windows, Ubuntu and OS X.
http://jeffhoogland....-chameleon.html

If you have any problems with it, just ask.

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
@lifelike

Thanks for the info on dual booting, I probably wont get into that for awhile.. But it cant hurt to know :P

Would anybody with lion running be willing to make an installation guide for getting it on the 1558, I know this would be helpful for the noobies like me!

Thanks in advance! ;)

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

@lifelike

Thanks for the info on dual booting, I probably wont get into that for awhile.. But it cant hurt to know :(

Would anybody with lion running be willing to make an installation guide for getting it on the 1558, I know this would be helpful for the noobies like me!

Thanks in advance! :)

There's really no need for a separate thread for a Lion installation. Maldon's installation is universal: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=256729

I personally used Still Win Fan's because I didn't have an 8GB usb at the time: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=260594

Or try making a bootable DVD: http://www.macworld...._installer.html

Follow my tutorial in this thread to get a working installation for temporary use, the use it to install Lion on a USB/DVD/Hard drive partition.

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I'm a little confused on using Charlie Sheen's lion package with the Maldon install..

I dont know where to put all the files that he has included!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy