• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

MacNB

MacNB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

That's odd, my log says that it wakes up perfectly, and the OS was called to sleep by the power button, etc. but it just doesn't wake. I have heard that a lot of people are having problems because of Lion, I was a little busy today, but tomorrow ill try different methods and such.

What was the DSDT modification you did, that seems like a good start?

Yes it is odd that I do not have any record of sleep in the logs even though I selected Sleep from the Apple Menu.
It is as if the DSDT did it's actions to sleep without telling the OS.

Need to figure out how the DSDT tells the OS that it is about to sleep. I thought _PTS (Prepare To Sleep) was responsible for that.

I think the mod I made to the DSDT for the Lid closure was a red-herring. I changed the Device name LID0 to LID to match Apple. But having tested it again, it actually makes no difference to the screen turning off when the lid is closed. It had always turned the screen off when I closed it.

My DSDT source file is attached (one of the most complex I have seen). It was modified from the raw one by MaLd0n.

Could you pls post yours for comparison ?

Apologies to the OP for digressing from intend thread.

Attached Files

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Ball
Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   17.57KB   18 downloads

Yeah, there it is.

Also modified by MaLd0n.

Do you know of any similar Laptops with either the same HM55 chipset, or another Dell Studio that has this problem solved?

MacNB

MacNB

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Attached File  dsdt.aml.zip   17.57KB   18 downloads

Yeah, there it is.

Also modified by MaLd0n.

Do you know of any similar Laptops with either the same HM55 chipset, or another Dell Studio that has this problem solved?

I've not come across it yet. I keep scouring the forums with someone with ATI 5470 and HM55 chipset that has sleep working but not success yet.

Thx for posting your DSDT. I have tried to some of the things from your _wak & _pts but I still see no records in the logs that show sleep being instigated.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The SleepEnabler.kext for lion causes a KP, so that doesn't work either :/

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Has anyone else had problems like this where the screen gets scrambled after the screen wakes up after sleeping? Attached File  IMG_20110709_103433.jpg   111.42KB   52 downloads

Another problem I've started having recently is that when I tried (and failed) to upgrade to Lion, my partitioning table was reordered.

Example, if it started from disk01s03, disk01s5, disk01s2, that because disk01s1, disk01s2, disk01s3.

Since then, when I chainload grub with chameleon, chameleon boots up my Windows partition instead of my OS X partition. It does however work if I boot straight from the CD. That's not very nice though, having to boot from the CD all the time.

Usually when I choose the OS X grub menu entry, it boots Chameleon, but it doesn't show me the OS choice list. It just directly booted into OS X. Now it does that, but for Windows 7....

viero86

viero86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Has anyone else had problems like this where the screen gets scrambled after the screen wakes up after sleeping? Attached File  IMG_20110709_103433.jpg   111.42KB   52 downloads

Another problem I've started having recently is that when I tried (and failed) to upgrade to Lion, my partitioning table was reordered.

Example, if it started from disk01s03, disk01s5, disk01s2, that because disk01s1, disk01s2, disk01s3.

Since then, when I chainload grub with chameleon, chameleon boots up my Windows partition instead of my OS X partition. It does however work if I boot straight from the CD. That's not very nice though, having to boot from the CD all the time.

Usually when I choose the OS X grub menu entry, it boots Chameleon, but it doesn't show me the OS choice list. It just directly booted into OS X. Now it does that, but for Windows 7....

I'm having the same issue w/ the screen. However it hook it up w/ external monitor so that's not a big issue for me.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

How did you guys get it to sleep and wake in the first place?

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

How did you guys get it to sleep and wake in the first place?

Sorry, I didn't mean the computer going into sleep, I meant the display going to sleep/timeout.

If I try putting the computer to sleep. The computer goes to sleep, but when woken up, the screen is off and there's no way to get it to come on.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Well, I am pretty sure that its Lion will fix the display sleep issue, I don't have it on mine at all.

And as for the sleep, I am about to give up on it until someone with a similar laptop gets it to work.

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Im am looking to buy the 1558 to install OSx on, but I have a few questions..

This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"
DELL Studio 1558 i7-720QM 1.6GHz 8GB 500GB HDD 15.6" | eBay

This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.
Dell Studio 1558 i7 / 4Gb / 1080 | eBay

I am wondering which model you guy would recommend and if I do go with the 1080p model, will I be able to run OSx with 1080p?

:thumbsdown_anim:

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Im am looking to buy the 1558 to install OSx on, but I have a few questions..

This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

I am wondering which model you guy would recommend and if I do go with the 1080p model, will I be able to run OSx with 1080p?

:P

They both should work, you will have to replace the wifi on both of them though just like I did, with a Dell wireless 1510. Yes you should be able to run it at 1080p, mine outputs that via HDMI, I don't see why it won't through the LVDS display.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
http://www.mediafire...kh3vb7pth15jn91

Also, there is the Kext Pack for the Studio 1558. Has all the kexts you need for OS X Lion.

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I've FINALLY managed to get Lion working on my Dell Studio with QE/CI! I used CharlieSheen's next pack to get it all working EXCEPT the voodooHDA kext. After around five reinstallation's and installing kexts one by one after every restart to see which one causes me loading problems, I've figured it out that it's the voodooHDA 2.7.2. It used to work on Snow Leopard but it causes KPs for me and so other strange problems.

Everything seems to be working in 64 BIT! I haven't tried 32 bit yet.

A HUGE thanks to CharlieSheen for helping me out with this problem and my ecstatic replies!

Edit: AUDIO WORKS IN 32BIT! I suggest adding 'arch=i386' to the boot flags in the com.apple.boot.plist if you get this problem as well! Everything is working except when the screen dims down and goes to sleep, when I move my mouse to wake it up, the colours are all distorted like my picture above. Oh well, I guess it's a sleep issue.

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
ATI personality Zonalis also works for this card, so if Eulemur or Hoolock gives issues, try Zonalis.

EDIT: Langur too. Langur has good HDMI support.

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I have a i5 450m model. I have not got 10.6.8 installed. I installed Hazard OSX on virtualbox and used USB sticks following the USB method. I thought i did it perfectly. However
Is there something i missed?
http://imageshack.us...35/wp000297.jpg

"Can't find mach_kernel"

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I have a i5 450m model. I have not got 10.6.8 installed. I installed Hazard OSX on virtualbox and used USB sticks following the USB method. I thought i did it perfectly. However
Is there something i missed?
http://imageshack.us...35/wp000297.jpg

"Can't find mach_kernel"

Copy and paste the mach_kernel file (its hidden use show/hide or similar app) to the root of the USB

Username111

Username111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Okay, I have narrowed my choices to these;

1.This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

2.This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

3.This has a different processor
(Intel Core Processor (Quad core) i7-740QM 1.73/2.93 with TurboBoost (6MB Cache)) and a different wireless card (Intel 6250 Centrino Advanced N+ WiMAX/Bluetooth Technology). But includes the 1080p screen and a 640gb HD with 6gb ram. This laptop also has built in Bluetooth and a backlit keyboard.
NEW Dell Studio 15-1558 Laptop w/ Win7 Intel i7 Backlit | eBay

My first choice would be #3 as it has the features and specs I want. But I am wondering if the processor and network card are compatible? I would enjoy to hear your guys' opinions on which variation I should purchase. Also if there is any other laptop in the $700-$800 price range (compatible with OSx86) that you would suggest instead of the 1558.

Lastly, I am also curious as to see which *Official* mac is comparable to the 1558 performance wise. ;)

Big thanks the Charlie Sheen and all other users for making this possible!

jamieostrich

jamieostrich

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Copy and paste the mach_kernel file (its hidden use show/hide or similar app) to the root of the USB

Thanks man, worked a treat. Just backing up my data first as i have to reformat the entire drive...

As for which laptop to buy. I do think a 1080p screen would be beneficial.
Very good deal on the Dell. Number 3 is your best bet.
A comparable Macbook pro would be last years model.$1450 http://cgi.ebay.com/...3#ht_500wt_1287

Slightly lower end processor 640m not 740m, but better graphics.

Brand new around that price is a http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l502x/fs
Not bad machine, not sure how well the os x can install tho!

lifelike27

lifelike27

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Okay, I have narrowed my choices to these;

1.This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

2.This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

3.This has a different processor
(Intel Core Processor (Quad core) i7-740QM 1.73/2.93 with TurboBoost (6MB Cache)) and a different wireless card (Intel 6250 Centrino Advanced N+ WiMAX/Bluetooth Technology). But includes the 1080p screen and a 640gb HD with 6gb ram. This laptop also has built in Bluetooth and a backlit keyboard.
NEW Dell Studio 15-1558 Laptop w/ Win7 Intel i7 Backlit | eBay

My first choice would be #3 as it has the features and specs I want. But I am wondering if the processor and network card are compatible? I would enjoy to hear your guys' opinions on which variation I should purchase. Also if there is any other laptop in the $700-$800 price range (compatible with OSx86) that you would suggest instead of the 1558.

Lastly, I am also curious as to see which *Official* mac is comparable to the 1558 performance wise. ;)

Big thanks the Charlie Sheen and all other users for making this possible!

I'd stay away from the Centrino wireless card if it were me: http://www.tonymacx8...php?f=3&t=16989

The first option seems better of the two. 1080p would be nice, but a bigger hard drive is worth more imho. You're loosing 120GB of valuable HDD space which can be used for a lot more. 8 GB of RAM is pretty helpful too.

The first option exactly the same as mine except I got 4GB of RAM. I have a 1366x768 screen resolution and I'm not the least bit disappointed. The only pet peave I have is that there aren't many wallpapers that are 1366x768 but any 16:9 wallpaper would do really!

CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I would get option number 3. none of the default wifi cards work so you would have to swap them out anyway, but its only 15 dollars. And the processor will work fine, the 740 is just like the 720 but slightly faster.

My setup is faster than the all the mid-2010 MacBook Pro's and the 13-inch 2011 sandy bridges. The new (Sandy Bridge, currently sold by apple) 15 and 17 inches are faster. All of this is measured by GeekBench scores.

And as for the resolution wallpapers, many wallpaper sites have the 1366x768 resolution under the netbook section for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy