[GUIDE] Dell Studio 1558 ATI 5470 Core i7 - What I've got working so far

lifelike27

227 posts in this topic

Im am looking to buy the 1558 to install OSx on, but I have a few questions..

This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

DELL Studio 1558 i7-720QM 1.6GHz 8GB 500GB HDD 15.6" | eBay

This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

Dell Studio 1558 i7 / 4Gb / 1080 | eBay

I am wondering which model you guy would recommend and if I do go with the 1080p model, will I be able to run OSx with 1080p?

:P

They both should work, you will have to replace the wifi on both of them though just like I did, with a Dell wireless 1510. Yes you should be able to run it at 1080p, mine outputs that via HDMI, I don't see why it won't through the LVDS display.

I've FINALLY managed to get Lion working on my Dell Studio with QE/CI! I used CharlieSheen's next pack to get it all working EXCEPT the voodooHDA kext. After around five reinstallation's and installing kexts one by one after every restart to see which one causes me loading problems, I've figured it out that it's the voodooHDA 2.7.2. It used to work on Snow Leopard but it causes KPs for me and so other strange problems.

Everything seems to be working in 64 BIT! I haven't tried 32 bit yet.

A HUGE thanks to CharlieSheen for helping me out with this problem and my ecstatic replies!

Edit: AUDIO WORKS IN 32BIT! I suggest adding 'arch=i386' to the boot flags in the com.apple.boot.plist if you get this problem as well! Everything is working except when the screen dims down and goes to sleep, when I move my mouse to wake it up, the colours are all distorted like my picture above. Oh well, I guess it's a sleep issue.

I have a i5 450m model. I have not got 10.6.8 installed. I installed Hazard OSX on virtualbox and used USB sticks following the USB method. I thought i did it perfectly. However

Is there something i missed?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/wp000297.jpg

"Can't find mach_kernel"

Copy and paste the mach_kernel file (its hidden use show/hide or similar app) to the root of the USB

Okay, I have narrowed my choices to these;

1.This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

2.This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

3.This has a different processor (Intel Core Processor (Quad core) i7-740QM 1.73/2.93 with TurboBoost (6MB Cache)) and a different wireless card (Intel 6250 Centrino Advanced N+ WiMAX/Bluetooth Technology). But includes the 1080p screen and a 640gb HD with 6gb ram. This laptop also has built in Bluetooth and a backlit keyboard.

NEW Dell Studio 15-1558 Laptop w/ Win7 Intel i7 Backlit | eBay

My first choice would be #3 as it has the features and specs I want. But I am wondering if the processor and network card are compatible? I would enjoy to hear your guys' opinions on which variation I should purchase. Also if there is any other laptop in the $700-$800 price range (compatible with OSx86) that you would suggest instead of the 1558.

Lastly, I am also curious as to see which *Official* mac is comparable to the 1558 performance wise. ;)

Big thanks the Charlie Sheen and all other users for making this possible!

Copy and paste the mach_kernel file (its hidden use show/hide or similar app) to the root of the USB

Thanks man, worked a treat. Just backing up my data first as i have to reformat the entire drive...

As for which laptop to buy. I do think a 1080p screen would be beneficial.

Very good deal on the Dell. Number 3 is your best bet.

A comparable Macbook pro would be last years model.$1450 http://cgi.ebay.com/MacBook-Pro-15-inch-Co...3#ht_500wt_1287

Slightly lower end processor 640m not 740m, but better graphics.

Brand new around that price is a http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l502x/fs

Not bad machine, not sure how well the os x can install tho!

Okay, I have narrowed my choices to these;

1.This appears to be the same set up as "Charlie Sheen"

2.This has 4gb ram and a smaller HD but has a 1080p display.

3.This has a different processor (Intel Core Processor (Quad core) i7-740QM 1.73/2.93 with TurboBoost (6MB Cache)) and a different wireless card (Intel 6250 Centrino Advanced N+ WiMAX/Bluetooth Technology). But includes the 1080p screen and a 640gb HD with 6gb ram. This laptop also has built in Bluetooth and a backlit keyboard.

NEW Dell Studio 15-1558 Laptop w/ Win7 Intel i7 Backlit | eBay

My first choice would be #3 as it has the features and specs I want. But I am wondering if the processor and network card are compatible? I would enjoy to hear your guys' opinions on which variation I should purchase. Also if there is any other laptop in the $700-$800 price range (compatible with OSx86) that you would suggest instead of the 1558.

Lastly, I am also curious as to see which *Official* mac is comparable to the 1558 performance wise. ;)

Big thanks the Charlie Sheen and all other users for making this possible!

I'd stay away from the Centrino wireless card if it were me: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16989

The first option seems better of the two. 1080p would be nice, but a bigger hard drive is worth more imho. You're loosing 120GB of valuable HDD space which can be used for a lot more. 8 GB of RAM is pretty helpful too.

The first option exactly the same as mine except I got 4GB of RAM. I have a 1366x768 screen resolution and I'm not the least bit disappointed. The only pet peave I have is that there aren't many wallpapers that are 1366x768 but any 16:9 wallpaper would do really!

I would get option number 3. none of the default wifi cards work so you would have to swap them out anyway, but its only 15 dollars. And the processor will work fine, the 740 is just like the 720 but slightly faster.

My setup is faster than the all the mid-2010 MacBook Pro's and the 13-inch 2011 sandy bridges. The new (Sandy Bridge, currently sold by apple) 15 and 17 inches are faster. All of this is measured by GeekBench scores.

And as for the resolution wallpapers, many wallpaper sites have the 1366x768 resolution under the netbook section for some reason.

Has anyone managed to get HDMI audio to work? My DW1510 wireless card should arrive next week leaving only HDMI audio and sleep the only things not working.

I'm going try later on to create a dsdt that fixes the sleep problem. I read on a forum that if you edit it right you can get sleep to work without the sleep enabler kext.

The tonymacs thread suggests that with centrino wireless cards you might not be able to change the wireless card because the system won't accept any other brand. Also, from that thread it seems that that centrino card doesn't work just yet.

HDMI audio works with VoodooHDA. VoodooHDA, however has extreme distortions with the mic. There could be another way of doing that, Ill look into it.

Good luck with the sleep, ill try more with that as well with the DSDT and such

silly question, how do you install the extra kexts ffor lion? like sound and mouse post install

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/************.kext

When you manually add a kext, remember to repair permissions.

The bidding ended on the laptop I was hoping to buy, but I found this one:

Dell Studio 1558 i7-720QM Bluray BT 1920x1080 Ruby Red | eBay

*(It has the all the same specs as Charlie Sheen's setup, but with bluetooth, 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, and a bluray drive.)

I dont't care if the drive doensnt read blurays, but I want to make sure it can still read DVDs?

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... ;)

And say I needed the 8gb of ram, how hard is it to install ram on the 1558? How much would this cost?

Thanks for the help on making this purchase guys, I hope to be a contributor to the development of hackintosh on this laptop once it ships to my house!

*(It has the all the same specs as Charlie Sheen's setup, but with bluetooth, 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, and a bluray drive.)

I dont't care if the drive doensnt read blurays, but I want to make sure it can still read DVDs?

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... :)

And say I needed the 8gb of ram, how hard is it to install ram on the 1558? How much would this cost?

Thanks for the help on making this purchase guys, I hope to be a contributor to the development of hackintosh on this laptop once it ships to my house!

Did you even read the first post of this thread?

Yeah, get this.

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/************.kext

When you manually add a kext, remember to repair permissions.

ok I'm slightly confused. I installed the generic mol dons usb method. and used the amsl ddst startup files bios and star up plist etc of the pack.

So its sound, battery and mouse that I need working.

I am a complete newb when it comes to OSX.

I tried to use the kextinstaller on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but it hung when installing and rebooting just gave it a grey screen. so i reinstalled.

Can i have a step by step for installing mouse, sound and battery for a complete newb with no prior knowledge! thanks.

ok I'm slightly confused. I installed the generic mol dons usb method. and used the amsl ddst startup files bios and star up plist etc of the pack.

So its sound, battery and mouse that I need working.

I am a complete newb when it comes to OSX.

I tried to use the kextinstaller on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but it hung when installing and rebooting just gave it a grey screen. so i reinstalled.

Can i have a step by step for installing mouse, sound and battery for a complete newb with no prior knowledge! thanks.

Are you trying to install OSX Lion or Snow Leopard?

Basically, after you've successfully installed either one (if you're installing Snow Leopard run the 10.6.7 Combo Update then continue). Then open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], select OSx86 Software, System Utilities, Voodoo PS/2 Controller (Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enabler -> Micellaneous) and VoodooHDA 0.2.72 (Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enabler -> Audio -> Universal)

That should finish successfully to install the trackpad and Audio. Don't restart or anything.

Once that's completed, you should find Kext Helper b7 installed. Open it, and drag and drop the VoodooBattery kext I've attached on the first post of this thread. Enter in your password and hit enter. Once it's done and you try closing Kext Helper, the application might not close properly. It might stop responding. You'll be able to tell if you see the application icon in your Dock and right clicking it says it's not working. Don't worry, just force close it and it'll be fine.

Restart and you'll be good to go.

For Lion, it's the same process just download CharlieSheen's mediafire kext pack link ( http://www.mediafire.com/?kh3vb7pth15jn91 ) and use his VoodooBattery kext.

thanks. Im on lion. so close started up and got the destop but the second screen. How do I get it back to first display? Seems to have made both trackpad and built in keyboard stop. Audio works. Can't tell about the battery as it is on second screen. Any ideas? Or shall I try again... also on charliesheens pack. Do I need to install the other kexts not documented anywhere? Also how? Many thanks

Also, will the bluetooth work? It would be awesome to have to magic trackpad hooked up to this... :thumbsup_anim:

It should play DVDs, and as for blu-rays theres a good chance it will work with third party software, as people with real mac pros install a blu-ray drive to it.

Not hard at all to install RAM, you need a small philips head screwdriver though. It takes DDR3 RAM, and at 1333Mhz, which is 55 to 60 dollars on newegg.

bluetooth works too i think, my laptop doesn't have it, but lifeliike27 got it to work on his.

Alright, I just ordered my 1558 on ebay. It'll be here by thursday and I most likely will be making an image of the hard drive just to be safe. ;)

Sorry I must have missed the part on bluetooth. Thanks for all the responses, you guys are awesome!

Has anyone gotten dual boot working?

Alright, I just ordered my 1558 on ebay. It'll be here by thursday and I most likely will be making an image of the hard drive just to be safe. ;)

Sorry I must have missed the part on bluetooth. Thanks for all the responses, you guys are awesome!

Has anyone gotten dual boot working?

I'm quad booting: Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac OS X and Fedora. Going to add elementaryOS next.

It's good you got the Ruby red covered one and not the black one. The red one has a matted finish so you don't get scratches on it that easily.

Not hard at all to install RAM, you need a small philips head screwdriver though.

You need the screwdriver just to open laptop from the bottom. You don't need to unscrew anything else!

Just wanted to mention this since sometimes people haven't changed RAM before and aren't 100% sure how to go about it.

@Lifelike

Yeah I really didnt take that into consideration... But if you could point me at an installation guide or something that you used to get your quad boot working, thatd be GREAT!

UHOH. I just saw this: Dell Studio 15 1557 & 1558 plagued with failures - CNET Laptop buying advice Forums

Has anyone experienced overheating issues with the 1558? This could be a major issue for me.. :D