[Guide] Dell XPS 15 L502X (Early 2011) Snow Leopard Install (possibly L702x too)

wen1

3,030 posts in this topic

bash-3.2# /Applications/Theia.app/Contents/Resources/theia_core
2013-08-01 20:35:45.468 theia_core[326:707] Debug: Theia_Core Init OK
Segmentation fault: 11

Aug  1 20:35:21 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local sudo[324]:   dmitry : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users/dmitry ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/bash
Aug  1 20:35:22 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local mds[39]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/D770D76B-69F2-4CDD-8054-992C2C91041A)(Error) IndexCI in void _CIUpdateTimeStamp(ContentIndexPtr, time_t, _Bool):time stamp should be more recent new:1375378403, old:1375386380
Aug  1 20:35:45 --- last message repeated 7 times ---
Aug  1 20:35:45 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local theia_core[326]: Debug: Theia_Core Init OK
Aug  1 20:35:58 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local mds[39]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/D770D76B-69F2-4CDD-8054-992C2C91041A)(Error) IndexCI in void _CIUpdateTimeStamp(ContentIndexPtr, time_t, _Bool):time stamp should be more recent new:1375378403, old:1375386380
Aug  1 20:36:30 --- last message repeated 12 times ---
Aug  1 20:36:30 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local mds[39]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/D770D76B-69F2-4CDD-8054-992C2C91041A)(Error) IndexCI in void _CIUpdateTimeStamp(ContentIndexPtr, time_t, _Bool):time stamp should be more recent new:1375378403, old:1375386380
Aug  1 20:37:01 --- last message repeated 4 times ---

Aug  1 20:37:01 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.

Aug  1 20:37:08 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: failed looking up LS service ( scCreateSystemService returned MACH_PORT_NULL, called from SetupCoreApplicationServicesCommunicationPort, so using client-side NULL calls.
Aug  1 20:37:08 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: LaunchServices/5123589: Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0
Aug  1 20:37:08 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: failed looking up LS service ( scCreateSystemService returned MACH_PORT_NULL, called from SetupCoreApplicationServicesCommunicationPort, so using client-side NULL calls.
Aug  1 20:37:08 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: LaunchServices/5123589: Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0 uid=0 euid=0
Aug  1 20:37:08 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local ReportCrash[335]: Saved crash report for theia_core[326] version ??? to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/theia_core_2013-08-01-203708_Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.crash
Aug  1 20:37:09 Dmitrys-MacBook-Pro.local mds[39]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V2/D770D76B-69F2-4CDD-8054-992C2C91041A)(Error) IndexCI in void _CIUpdateTimeStamp(ContentIndexPtr, time_t, _Bool):time stamp should be more recent new:1375378403, old:1375386380

Spotlight isn't disabled contrary to what the log suggests.

Yeah, i have no idea. Do you happen to have any other OS X installation? I tested the app on my install and on ML/Maverick clean installs, it works there. But considering the frameworks used to build code, it may not work on systems that have older versions of the frameworks installed.

I see, thanks for the feedback so far. I'll implement camera selection just for the sake of it.

If anyone else downloads the Theia, please report if it's working or not. Please provide crash logs if it doesn't do anything.

Yes, please do. I just recalled something, my camera actually refuses to work unless I install iGlasses. So I assume by default it just selects my UVC-compliant webcam which is not working in it's native state. I have to select iGlasses camera in every application (Skype/Photobooth/FaceTime) for the camera to actually display any image.

Screen%20Shot%202013-08-01%20at%209.41.4

That explains it. Funny, iGlasses crashes like crazy on my laptop. Also, why is your camera detected as FaceTime HD? Did you mod it or it's just the way OS X reads it?

Erhm... iGlasses messed my camera up, i uninstalled it, but it still will not work :D

Theia gives the same crash you got. So iGlasses is the culprit... somehow.

Edited by DoiX

Thats is weird indeed. My camera is being detected like that 'cause I made a universal injector for cardreader and camera based on com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub, i mainly use it for getting the cardreader to work, since there's no other way, but why not mimic the FaceTime camera then :)

Guys try as I might I cannot get Lion to freeze on shutdown.

The only anomaly I may have spotted is that under intense NTFS Disk (not CPU) activity the OS waits for the Paragon driver to return a commit_to_disk flag which for some reason is never set and thus the disk sync process is never completed, resulting in the machine unable to shut down, though this is highly likely to be a bug in Paragon.

Lion eh, we are talking ML here. This is interesting, I may have to try and restore my Lion image to see if it's same case for me. I recall ML had some nasty bugs (take HD3000 artifacts for example) compared to Lion, but at this point I can't really recall what they were.

jkbuha and timewalker, by any chance would either of you guys be able to provide a quick sort of bios-modding-for-dummies guide? I'm reading jkbuha's thread over at bios-mods and it's over my head, but even as a noob I'd love to be able to unlock the ability to boot from GPT.

Just flash the unlocked bios, the tough job has been done by others so you only have to flash it, no need to modify it from scratch. 

1. Just grab a mod bios from @jkbuha's thread (I presume you have a 15z), rename it to BIOS1.WPH.

2. Grab the official bios from Dell (of the same version as the one attached over at bios-mods) and execute it, it will say that its loading the capsule into memory, agree on that but don't accept when it prompts to reboot.

3. Do Win+R (Run equivalent) and go to %TEMP%, there will be a folder called WinFlash there.

4. Copy it to the desktop, copy the BIOS1.WPH you have renamed and replace the Dell stock bios found in there.

5. Close the WInflash program you have hanging in mid air...

6. Open up the WinFlash folder, hold down shift and right click in this very folder, you should see and option called "Open command window here", select it

7. An elevated command prompt will appear. Invoke the flasher by typing:

WinFlash.exe /sa /sv /bios /ec /cvar "BIOS1.WPH" 

8. The program will again say that it;s loading the capsule into memory, make sure you close all the software you have open except WinFlash and agree to reboot.

9. Wait till it reboots into Phoenix UEFI Flasher and reflashes the modified BIOS.

10. When it reboots go to F2 (BIOS Setup) and reset everything to defaults. Go to Advanced settings and off you go.

• Like 1

Thank you so much TimeWalker! Great instructions, except I can't try them because bios-mods.com keeps rejecting my registration saying my IP/email is in a spam database...by any chance can someone upload the mod files? Sorry to be such a nuisance!

Thanks for the upload, and I am happy to announce that I am now running on a modded BIOS! out of curiosity are you running on MBR or GPT, and if it's still MBR what are the benefits to that?

There is only one - it's how Dell intended it so there are a couple of quirks when going to GPT for UEFI booting in case you need Windows. If you don't, then GPT it is all the way. I can quote the issues Windows has in UEFI on this laptop. I'm on my phone right now..

Thanks TW for posting the link. @Air - welcome on board (the modding community!) - I'm not really that frequent on any forums these days so if you don't get any responses from me it's because I haven't seen them yet :)

Funny that ML shows this shutdown anomaly but Lion doesn't. Personally I don't like the direction that ML (and 10.9) have headed; they are repeating the same trend that Windows has done (ie bloatware). Lion and Mint are my OSes of choice for now.

Thanks DoiX, almost everything works now.

After running the pkg listed on post install, ML doesn't recognize my sound card anymore.

At some point there's these instructions.

4. Back-Up and delete Sleep/NullCPUPowerManagement kexts
5. Copy SSDT.aml from archive to Root partition *see bottom of the post*

4. Which ones are the sleep kexts?

5. No archive is provided at the post, the pkg has put a SSDT.aml in my extra folder, is this file that I should move to '/'?

Edit: Since Nvidia is no longer recognized by systen info I assume that the DSDT provided with the pkg is turning my Nvidia card off. Anyway, my battery still runs out in about 2 hours.

IS speed stepping intend to run alongside with nullcpu? When I remove the NullCPU I get a KP related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

My SD/MS card reader still doesn't works. Is there a workaround for it to work?

Thanks for now

Edited by DawTaylor

@DawTaylor,  

4. There used to be a hackintosh sleep kext, but i'm rather sure you don't have that, so just ignore it.

5. That's a bit outdated. The SSDTs/all mandatory kexts to get the l502x/15z working are in the Lx02X Mountain Lion.pkg

That being said, if you get KP when deleting nullcpupm.kext, it means you didn't patch or install from the Lx02X.pkg the AICPUPM.kext OR it's the lack of SSDT

Open Lx02X Mountain Lion.pkg and install Kexts > Power Management > SpeedStepping > AICPUPM 10.8.0(it will work on 10.8.4 as well)

In case it's the SSDT go to [important!]System > SSDT > i5 >2430M(will work on your CPU)

I'm not sure what the Audio problem is. Are you using the DSDT from the package? If no, use it, and reinstall the AppleHDA.kext. If it still doesn't work, try VoodooHDA.

Since i got this laptop, i never got to use the card reader, so i never tried to see if it's working or not. I know someone posted a while back some official package from the producer that supposedly works on our machine. This or this, see which one works.

@DawTaylor,  

4. There used to be a hackintosh sleep kext, but i'm rather sure you don't have that, so just ignore it.

5. That's a bit outdated. The SSDTs/all mandatory kexts to get the l502x/15z working are in the Lx02X Mountain Lion.pkg

That being said, if you get KP when deleting nullcpupm.kext, it means you didn't patch or install from the Lx02X.pkg the AICPUPM.kext OR it's the lack of SSDT

Open Lx02X Mountain Lion.pkg and install Kexts > Power Management > SpeedStepping > AICPUPM 10.8.0(it will work on 10.8.4 as well)

In case it's the SSDT go to [important!]System > SSDT > i5 >2430M(will work on your CPU)

I'm not sure what the Audio problem is. Are you using the DSDT from the package? If no, use it, and reinstall the AppleHDA.kext. If it still doesn't work, try VoodooHDA.

Since i got this laptop, i never got to use the card reader, so i never tried to see if it's working or not. I know someone posted a while back some official package from the producer that supposedly works on our machine. This or this, see which one works.

I'm using the DSDT and SSDT from the pkg, under SSDT I've set the i5-2430m.

Also I have installed the AICPUPM 10.8.0, runs fine until I remove the nullcpupm.

For the audio problem I've got a workaround, I've just replaced the HDEF section in the pkg's DSDT with my DSDT HDEF. Now I have an hybrid DSDT which is mostly the pkg's DSDT except from the HDEF, which was replaced by my extracted DSDT. Now I can use VoodooHDA again.

I'll give the SD kexts a try, I use it to transfer games do my son's psp.

I guess that nobody could manage to use the Nvidia gpu, right? Any way to get the HDMI output to work?

Is GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates set to Yes in the boot.plist? It should be... if you're still getting KPs try using Clover bootloader (for some strange reason i get AICPUPM KPs in Maverick when i use Chameleon, but it's okay with Clover).

Personally, i suggest this approach: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more-105.html fixes Sleep issues with A12 bios and has the patched flag for native PowerManagement.

I guess that nobody could manage to use the Nvidia gpu, right? Any way to get the HDMI output to work?

Nobody is really willing to invest time in it since it's hard work.

HDMI for video no chance. For audio, it may be possible. It just requires the proper AppleHDA patch and a DSDT that powers the gpu. Since i'm not really an audiophile i didn't look much into it.

Is GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates set to Yes in the boot.plist? It should be... if you're still getting KPs try using Clover bootloader (for some strange reason i get AICPUPM KPs in Maverick when i use Chameleon, but it's okay with Clover).

Personally, i suggest this approach: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/635536-l502x-modded-bioses-download-gpu-voltages-more-105.html fixes Sleep issues with A12 bios and has the patched flag for native PowerManagement.

Nobody is really willing to invest time in it since it's hard work.

HDMI for video no chance. For audio, it may be possible. It just requires the proper AppleHDA patch and a DSDT that powers the gpu. Since i'm not really an audiophile i didn't look much into it.

Yes, C and P states are enabled. I've never tryed Clover, is there any recomended version to try out?

I'll read carefully about the modded bioses, I must confess it panics me, since there's a chance do mess system, but I'll read it and maybe I try it.

Guess it's easier to have a duallboot for some gaming so.

I'm used to use the HDMI output to play videos on my TV.

Get the latest version of Clover from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ when installing it select only: Bootloader > Don't update MBR and PBR sectors  and CloverEFI > CloverEFI 64 bits SATA

After installing copy this folder in the root partition EFI.zip and replace the .aml files from ACPI > Patched with your files.

Modify config.plist file to your system specification. For example, you should:

• remove the the entire contents of the CPU key (because it's for i7).
  • now go to About This Mac > more info > System Report > Hardware and copy the UUID and replace the one found in the config.plist under SystemParameters one.
  • replace Mac OS with the name of your OS X partition

Don't restart the system before doing those things, you may not be able to boot.

About the HDMI output. If your TV is DLNA capable/Smart TV or if you have a next-gen console (PS3, XBOX360) try 

This is what i use to stream content in full HD from my laptop to the TV, via internet. Give it a try, i'm satisfied with the results.

Oh right, the bios: It's pretty safe... as long as you have a fully charged battery and power cord plugged in.  As long as the laptop doesn't shut down during the flashing process, nothing will go wrong. I've flashed the bios countless times. 

Edited by DoiX

Modify config.plist file to your system specification. For example, you should:

• remove the the entire contents of the CPU key (because it's for i7).
  • now go to About This Mac > more info > System Report > Hardware and copy the UUID and replace the one found in the config.plist under SystemParameters one.
  • replace Mac OS with the name of your OS X partition

I've installed Clover according to what you said, I've put the .aml files in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched .

But my config.plist (found in /EFI/CLOVER) doesn't have any of the strings mentioned above.

config.plist.zip