Pre-made Custom G5 Rear I/O Ports + Cables

zammykoo

135 posts in this topic

Check this out icon_e_biggrin.gif

Guess I couldn't stay away from this project too long. I wanted to go ahead and finish a prototype for testing purposes. I will still be holding off on the production models till I figure out a quicker/easier way for me to print boards & drill holes.

Everything went smoothly and turned out better than I imagined. I'll try to post a demo video shortly.

post-764180-1304919312_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1304919320_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1304919327_thumb.jpg

Check this out icon_e_biggrin.gif

Guess I couldn't stay away from this project too long. I wanted to go ahead and finish a prototype for testing purposes. I will still be holding off on the production models till I figure out a quicker/easier way for me to print boards & drill holes.

Everything went smoothly and turned out better than I imagined. I'll try to post a demo video shortly.

post-764180-1304919312_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1304919320_thumb.jpg

post-764180-1304919327_thumb.jpg

OMG!!!!!!! :D:star_smile: :star_smile: :(:) all five of em …..…you'll get the same love on you tube

Thanks guys!

Here's a quick video before I go to bed. I'll update with a more thorough commentary next session.

EDIT:

Youtube video has been updated. Please see first post.

Nice!!!

Thanks! I was waiting for you to chime in, lol

And to everyone else, I've started a wait list so I can determine how much more parts I'll need to order. Right now my goal is to build 10 units. If there is more interest then I'll order more parts.

Let me know if you want to be added to the wait list ;)

Thanks! I was waiting for you to chime in, lol

And to everyone else, I've started a wait list so I can determine how much more parts I'll need to order. Right now my goal is to build 10 units. If there is more interest then I'll order more parts.

Let me know if you want to be added to the wait list :(

Lol I have been watching like a hawk, that board looks so freaking nice!

yes bro … christmas come early ….( would you ship to uk??)

Option 2: $75 + $6 s&h (2x USB ports, 2x audio ports, 2x ethernet ports)

*US s&h via USPS Priority will be $6 (confirmation included)

i would be interested in this one please sir

just a quick question from a nub …how would i attach a fire wire connection to this ?

thanks

Akhenamenra

Thanks guys!

Here's a quick video before I go to bed. I'll update with a more thorough commentary next session.

(anyone know how to embed youtube videos here?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxsmVtPqm9s

wow…

yes bro … christmas come early ….( would you ship to uk??)

Option 2: $75 + $6 s&h (2x USB ports, 2x audio ports, 2x ethernet ports)

*US s&h via USPS Priority will be $6 (confirmation included)

i would be interested in this one please sir

just a quick question from a nub …how would i attach a fire wire connection to this ?

Hey, I've never shipped anything internationally so but I believe s&h will cost $15 via USPS priority.

And as far as the firewire port goes... unfortunately I couldn't find any sources that supplied the correct firewire jack, so it was not included. I would love to add the firewire port to my design if someone happens to know where to find it.

If you are still interested I'll be happy to add you to the wait list.

Thanks!

Hey, I've never shipped anything internationally so but I believe s&h will cost $15 via USPS priority.

And as far as the firewire port goes... unfortunately I couldn't find any sources that supplied the correct firewire jack, so it was not included. I would love to add the firewire port to my design if someone happens to know where to find it.

If you are still interested I'll be happy to add you to the wait list.

Thanks!

yes please, ( ill do some research to see if i can help,, is it commonly known as a firewire jack?)

…just one last question ( was late whilst typing) have you decided to go wireless or wired?? if we can go wired what would the price be , if not would you supply blueprints for here the wires go for noobs and the like

thanks again

Yes! I am interested! That looks incredible! So, I will look for a solution to the firewire jack situation. You are right, the jack pins all seem to go in the opposite direction on the vertical 1394 (Firewire 400) jack.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...ame=151-1087-ND

I was thinking, a solution might be to use another board on the opposite side of the one you are mounting...

What are the specs on the other Firewire port? It's a firewire 800 9 pin connector or something like that?

Also, would it be possible just to salvage old connectors from the original apple motherboard?

How can I get in one these? This is an elegant solution for an elegant case! - The primary reason I am doing the OS X 86 mod! I do love your solution zammykoo - super props!

**Edit**

OK, So, I found the 9 pin connector. It is here! I am not sure how it mounts onto the board, but... something is better than nothing!

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...me=1734047-1-ND

Holy Smokes! how'd I miss that? I thought I looked high and low on mouser.... Thanks eelhead, I'll be sure to get some of these for a revised circuit design

Yes! I am interested! That looks incredible! So, I will look for a solution to the firewire jack situation. You are right, the jack pins all seem to go in the opposite direction on the vertical 1394 (Firewire 400) jack.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...ame=151-1087-ND

I was thinking, a solution might be to use another board on the opposite side of the one you are mounting...

What are the specs on the other Firewire port? It's a firewire 800 9 pin connector or something like that?

Also, would it be possible just to salvage old connectors from the original apple motherboard?

How can I get in one these? This is an elegant solution for an elegant case! - The primary reason I am doing the OS X 86 mod! I do love your solution zammykoo - super props!

**Edit**

OK, So, I found the 9 pin connector. It is here! I am not sure how it mounts onto the board, but... something is better than nothing!

Thanks student_al, it looks like your second link is broken, I can't access the page for some reason...

Holy Smokes! how'd I miss that? I thought I looked high and low on mouser.... Thanks eelhead, I'll be sure to get some of these for a revised circuit design

Thanks student_al, it looks like your second link is broken, I can't access the page for some reason...

seems like we have a winner ….

Hang on guys,

I've overlooked something eelhead. That's the one I found while researching for firewire jacks... it isn't the correct orientation.

student_al, you're absolutely correct. In order to use that jack I would have to invert the board design, where it would be on the left of the rear holes instead of right side. But I think the distance between the board and mounting surface would be too far, sacrificing stability.

I'll still be interested in modifying the circuit board design IF we can find the correct firewire orientation piece.

yes please, ( ill do some research to see if i can help,, is it commonly known as a firewire jack?)

…just one last question ( was late whilst typing) have you decided to go wireless or wired?? if we can go wired what would the price be , if not would you supply blueprints for here the wires go for noobs and the like

thanks again

Each package will include all necessary cables. (I may offer a slightly lower price if you want to order w/o cables)

I've made an order for new cables... should arrive in a couple weeks, I'll update post #1 with pics once I receive them.

Wow thats is the neatest solution to keep case intact. If this would be avaliable for Mac Pro case it would be even more wow. Any chance of making that version?

As of right now, I have no plans on making the Mac Pro case version. Simply because it is more difficult to plan out designs as opposed to the G5 model. ALTHOUGH, if sales goes well here, I'll look into expanding to the MP.

http://elcodis.com/component.php?c=2042651...ame=154-FWS20-E

sideways for giggles B)

http://elcodis.com/component.php?c=2042652...ame=154-FWR41-E

Maybe the first one?

was messing with the second one.

Nah, these aren't it either... thanks for looking though!

The first one is a vertical mount, but we need an upright right-angle mount.

This is the 9 pin FireWire 800

And you can add me to this list - I don't know how or where to sign up though...

Can the Firewire 400 (top fire wire) connector be a strait back pin, and glued directly to the board? - Not the prettiest option, but it is an option!

Apple special engineered and contracted that stupid connector! It is definitely not a standard plug!

Thanks for your help, student_al. I've added you to the wait list.

I would really prefer not to have to glue anything to the board, mainly to keep things clean and done the right way. Although, I've thought a lot about allowing some space (for the final design) on the board for those who want to install their own firewire extension cord, can then glue their own.

Here's the first demo video!

(video also placed in first post for convenience)

2iie6ia.png

I put up a note about the different size standoffs from the G5 if you reuse them. ;)

Looking really good.

Was wondering though with the firewire port, small dremal bit to square out that opening so a slandered socket could be used? don't know what you no cut guys think about that?

I put up a note about the different size standoffs from the G5 if you reuse them. ;)

Looking really good.

Was wondering though with the firewire port, small dremal bit to square out that opening so a slandered socket could be used? don't know what you no cut guys think about that?

Yep, thanks for noting that eelhead! You would use the larger standoffs.

And about cutting the firewire hole into a rectangle (that's what you mean, right?), I don't know if everyone would be comfortable enough to do that, hence buying this unit.

The best solution I am considering is to leave the fw slot empty and whoever uses it can install/glue their own extension cord in there. I'll have to look at my circuit design and see if the spacing in copper traces will allow me to do so. The real estate is very limited.