PCI Configuration Begin

mboy

86 posts in this topic

I had this problem after upgrading to 10.7.2.

What seemed to work for me was to change the bootloader to the last version of Chimera.

Now I am not stuck anymore at the PCI Configuration Begin point, yet I have a Kernel Panic due to NullCPUPowerManagement.

you can find my thread here, if somebody has any clue!!

Mine was working fine, upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7 and then to 10.7.2 and everything went smooth, it was smooth for the last three days until I decided to update Chimera using "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.0.2: Lion Edition" and now I'm also stuck at PCI: Configuration begin..

I'm trying to install SL back into another partition (I tried a lion one but can't get it to boot) so I could re-install the Chimera I had in "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.9.0: Snow Leopard Edition".. I'll report back if it was a success

The kernel flag "npci=0x2000" is useless when I add DSDT.aml to Darwin.

When I meet "DMOS is arrived", I prefer to repair The permisson of /S/L/E.

use -s to enter single mod

use these commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

exit

and wait, and you will meet the desktop

Hello,

I have a Vaio F Series and I just xMoved Mac however the loading stops at PCI configuration begin and after that i get a blank screen.

npci flags dont work...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

For what its worth to note, my laptop does still completely boot when it seems to 'hang' at PCI configuration begin. Once booted the actual boot log does show up in the console logs to review.

I recently changed my WLAN card from the dell broadcom 4311 b/g card to a dual radio 2.4/5.0Ghz dell broadcom 4331 wireless N WLAN card.

This card change caused the above PCI configuration begin issue on my laptop.

I can boot with the npci=0x2000 and it will properly display the boot progress completely.

This is true for Lion and Mountain Lion DP1, have not tested DP2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For what its worth to note, my laptop does still completely boot when it seems to 'hang' at PCI configuration begin. Once booted the actual boot log does show up in the console logs to review.

I recently changed my WLAN card from the dell broadcom 4311 b/g card to a dual radio 2.4/5.0Ghz dell broadcom 4331 wireless N WLAN card.

I can boot with the npci=0x2000 and it will properly display the boot progress completely.

This happens to me as well if I remove npci=0x2000, only tested on 10.6.8 though. I haven't tried it on Lion.

P5Q-E, E8500, GTX460

Same here. I didn't check the log though once the system booted. I was working on a Dell Studio Slim 540s for a friend and this started happening with 10.6.8. When I deleted the patched DSDT it would boot and stop outputing at PCI Configuration Begin but the HDD access light keeps flashing and after a little while the desktop appears. When I add npci=0x3000 verbose mode outputs normally and the computer boots normally. Unfortunately without that DSDT I'm drowning in kexts. I need to figure out how to patch my DSDT.

• 5 months later...

Since installing a USB 2.0 expansion card in the PCI-E x1 slot above the video card, I don't need the npci flag anymore.

asus_p5q_e.jpg

After adding the USB card and replacing my GTX 460 with a GTX 660 I had to re-extract and repatch my DSDT due to changed memory locations (OperationRegion, SystemMemory).

I've also changed this...

Device (PCI0)
 {
	 Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08")) // _HID: Hardware ID
	 Name (_ADR, Zero) // _ADR: Address
	 Method (^BN00, 0, NotSerialized)
	 {
		 Return (Zero)
	 }

Method (_BBN, 0, NotSerialized) // _BBN: BIOS Bus Number
	 {
		 Return (BN00 ())
	 }

Name (_UID, Zero) // _UID: Unique ID
	 Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized) // _PRT: PCI Routing Table
	 {
		 If (PICM)
		 {
			 Return (AR00)
		 }

Return (PR00)
	 }

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized) // _S3D: S3 Device State
	 {
		 If (LOr (LEqual (OSFL (), One), LEqual (OSFL (), 0x02)))
		 {
			 Return (0x02)
		 }
		 Else
		 {
			 Return (0x03)
		 }
	 }

Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03")) // _CID: Compatible ID

...to this:

Device (PCI0)
 {
	 Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08")) // _HID: Hardware ID
	 Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03")) // _CID: Compatible ID
	 Name (_ADR, Zero) // _ADR: Address
	 Name (_UID, Zero) // _UID: Unique ID
	 Name (_BBN, Zero) // _BBN: BIOS Bus Number
	 Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized) // _PRT: PCI Routing Table
	 {
		 If (PICM)
		 {
			 Return (AR00)
		 }

Return (PR00)
	 }

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized) // _S3D: S3 Device State
	 {
		 If (LOr (LEqual (OSFL (), One), LEqual (OSFL (), 0x02)))
		 {
			 Return (0x02)
		 }
		 Else
		 {
			 Return (0x03)
		 }
	 }

Much cleaner!

System.log excerpt:

Feb 22 00:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration begin ]
Feb 22 00:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: console relocated to 0xf89000000
Feb 22 00:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: PCI configuration changed (bridge=1 device=1 cardbus=0)
Feb 22 00:29:15 localhost kernel[0]: [ PCI configuration end, bridges 7 devices 20 ]

I'm pretty sure the fact that it works now is somehow related to the card having its own PCI bridge:

03:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Pericom Semiconductor Device [12d8:e111] (rev 02)
04:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller [1033:0035] (rev 43)
04:00.1 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller [1033:0035] (rev 43)
04:00.2 USB controller [0c03]: NEC Corporation uPD72010x USB 2.0 Controller [1033:00e0] (rev 04)

ASUS P5Q-E, 10.8.2

Links of interest:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Root_complex

http://www.acpi.info/acpi_faq.htm (do a page search for "root bus")

http://opensource.ap...onfigurator.cpp

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=1647&view=findpost&p=15259

Also google _BBN root bus