Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Was wondering if you guys know if the 10.6.0 SL dvd will work with this method or do I need a 10.6.3 Dvd?

Also was wondering if this technique could be tested out inside Virtualbox first as I already have Win 7 installed and rather not kill that installation if I dont have to...

thanks!

First off thanks Andy for putting this together it had saved a great deal of time in installing on this particular board. Just wanted to let you know that I did use a SL 10.6.0 DVD tried both retail and upgrade of he 10.6.0 version. It did install with out difficulty. After first install I did the 10.6.7 combo update, followed by installing of the p8p67 pro install package as per Andy's directions as well as per others who installed the package after the combo update prior to restart. Both options worked.

I am using a 8800 gt so just ran efi studio and place the efi string in the com.apple.boot.plist. This allowed for multi-resolution and QE/CI support.

Have not tested fire wire, USB 2 working no USB 3 ports do not appear to be working. ESata ports not working. Oddly enough blue tooth did not work until I installed the Atheros chipset blue tooth driver in Windows 7. Once installed there a reboot back into SL showed active bluetooth. I sometimes need to reboot back into windows if the bluetooth is not showing as active in the menu bar.

Have tried different methods regarding dsdt but have not found any real success. To be honest I need to do a lot more reading about dsdt.

Has anyone been successful with having functioning Esata ports on this board?

Hope some of you can find this helpful

Again thanks Andy

First off thanks Andy for putting this together it had saved a great deal of time in installing on this particular board. Just wanted to let you know that I did use a SL 10.6.0 DVD tried both retail and upgrade of he 10.6.0 version. It did install with out difficulty. After first install I did the 10.6.7 combo update, followed by installing of the p8p67 pro install package as per Andy's directions as well as per others who installed the package after the combo update prior to restart. Both options worked.

I am using a 8800 gt so just ran efi studio and place the efi string in the com.apple.boot.plist. This allowed for multi-resolution and QE/CI support.

Have not tested fire wire, USB 2 working no USB 3 ports do not appear to be working. ESata ports not working. Oddly enough blue tooth did not work until I installed the Atheros chipset blue tooth driver in Windows 7. Once installed there a reboot back into SL showed active bluetooth. I sometimes need to reboot back into windows if the bluetooth is not showing as active in the menu bar.

Have tried different methods regarding dsdt but have not found any real success. To be honest I need to do a lot more reading about dsdt.

Has anyone been successful with having functioning Esata ports on this board?

Hope some of you can find this helpful

Again thanks Andy

No problem and I'm glad it's helped.

I dont have any esata devices (well I have one but its power supply knocks out my adsl so I dont use it - cheap rubbish) so havn't tested that properly. I have the same behaviour with the bluetooth btw and will look into it when I get some time because that is probably a fairly easy fix. USB3 - well I dont have any usb 3 devices to plug in but I'm pretty sure that my other usb devices work when connected to the usb3 ports.

Was wondering if this would work:

Install the OSX directly onto my harddrive using an usb adapter off of my mac book using the osinstall.mpkg file, then combo update directed to the external hard drive, then bridge helper, then [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and then the p8p67 install package onto the drive and then hookup the drive onto my sata port on the p8p67 deluxe and set it to boot?

Thanks.

Sounds more likely that the problem is with the install usb stick. Have you tried using the original dvd instead?

Thanks Andy, yes apparently my .dmg was corrupt i tried another and it installed flawlessly on the following setup:

Asus P8h67 pro-m

intel i5 2500k

Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 5570

Only thing I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for my sound.

Thanks a bunch once again for the guide and effot :D!

Thanks Andy, yes apparently my .dmg was corrupt i tried another and it installed flawlessly on the following setup:

Asus P8h67 pro-m

intel i5 2500k

Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 5570

Only thing I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for my sound.

Thanks a bunch once again for the guide and effot :D!

Glad you got it sorted! :)

Hi Andy,

What graphic card will be best for your installation procedure? There will be no gaming, but intensive photography and video works.

I am planning on getting this MSI 5770 Hawk, will there be any modification to be done during installation? (Asus P8P67 Pro, Intel i7-2600k)

Thanks.

I am having a lot of issues trying to get my 5770 to work. I'm sort of new here so that may be a contributing factor. 5770 isn't listed on the OP as having been tested, but other people have gotten the 5770 working with in the ANVAL bootloader thread (which this includes).

For one thing, even if I upgrade to 10.6.7 before installing Andy's package (which the directions say is okay), I immediately get a blank screen upon loading if I manually install the ANVAL bootloader and I get a corrupted screen when the GUI finally loads if I boot using the CD (all vanilla except CD-boot material). If I install Andy's kext packages, then upgrade to 10.6.7, the kernel will crash during text screen and tell me ATIRadeonX3000 crashed. If I take my 5770-specific device ID out of ATIRadeonX3000.kext or I simply delete the kext, then I can boot all the way, but my computer doesn't detect the graphics card (not sure why i would need X3000.kext). Installing an ATI ROM and trying graphicsenabler and -useatirom at bootup doesn't change anything (not sure if it took). Installing ATY_init.kext (5770 specific) and booting arch=i386 does allow a bootup if I install Andy's package, but the drivers don't take, and ATY_init.kext isn't loaded (yes, I rebuild cache, fixed permissions). So to summarize, going as Vanilla as one can with the 5770 results in it crashing, and going with Andy's package allows startup no problem but the driver's don't take.

I'm really interested if anyone with a 5770 has gotten this working, and if so, what they did.

Edit: Wow, it turns out there is a bios difference between a standard XFX 5770 card and a Macintosh one. I flashed a new ROM onto my ATI 5770 and it's working just fine. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1136504)

thanks andy for such an amazing package... makes our lives so much easier.. and I apologize for hijacking your thread for a non-P8P67 issue

I am having a lot of issues trying to get my 5770 to work. I'm sort of new here so that may be a contributing factor. 5770 isn't listed on the OP as having been tested, but other people have gotten the 5770 working with in the ANVAL bootloader thread (which this includes).

For one thing, even if I upgrade to 10.6.7 before installing Andy's package (which the directions say is okay), I immediately get a blank screen upon loading if I manually install the ANVAL bootloader and I get a corrupted screen when the GUI finally loads if I boot using the CD (all vanilla except CD-boot material). If I install Andy's kext packages, then upgrade to 10.6.7, the kernel will crash during text screen and tell me ATIRadeonX3000 crashed. If I take my 5770-specific device ID out of ATIRadeonX3000.kext or I simply delete the kext, then I can boot all the way, but my computer doesn't detect the graphics card (not sure why i would need X3000.kext). Installing an ATI ROM and trying graphicsenabler and -useatirom at bootup doesn't change anything (not sure if it took). Installing ATY_init.kext (5770 specific) and booting arch=i386 does allow a bootup if I install Andy's package, but the drivers don't take, and ATY_init.kext isn't loaded (yes, I rebuild cache, fixed permissions). So to summarize, going as Vanilla as one can with the 5770 results in it crashing, and going with Andy's package allows startup no problem but the driver's don't take.

I'm really interested if anyone with a 5770 has gotten this working, and if so, what they did.

I don't have any problems with graphics using 2x 5770 in crossfire. I followed the installation instructions except for one difference- I installed Andy's package before rebooting when I updated to 10.6.7. I would try using only the CD Andy provided and try a fresh install following his instructions. I am using HDMI out by the way. What is your monitor conencted with?

i5 2500K

P8P67 PRO

I don't have any problems with graphics using 2x 5770 in crossfire. I followed the installation instructions except for one difference- I installed Andy's package before rebooting when I updated to 10.6.7. I would try using only the CD Andy provided and try a fresh install following his instructions. I am using HDMI out by the way. What is your monitor conencted with?

i5 2500K

P8P67 PRO

I too have a 5770 installed and working. I couldn't get the hdmi out to work though, so i'm currently using the dvi to vga adapter that came with the card. Is there anything specific you need to do in order to enable hdmi out?

Thanks,

Brant

Andy, you're a champ. I chose my board almost soley based on the awesome feedback in this thread. Can confirm your package allowed me to install without a hitch:

i7-2600K

P8P67 PRO

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Working: Firewire/USB 2.0/Ethernet (required that I go into System Preferences / Network)

Missing: Bluetooth, Sleep, full video + QE/CI (go figure, I had read that this card was a cinch)

If anyone's got experience with this particular VGA card I'd greatly appreciate it! Otherwise, a million thanks again for putting together that's easy to follow and puts us most of the way there!!

Hi everyone, I recently built my first hackintosh and everything went smoothly up until I saw the resolution stuck at 1024x768 with no other options. I've tried running tonymac's Nvidia update, but I have yet to make any progress. Im using an EVGA 9500 GT graphics card.If anyone could please help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

I was also wondering if just buying an ATI Radeon video card would fix my little problem. Would it work out of the box?

My specs: P8P67 Pro, i7 2600k, nvidia evga 9500 GT

Hi everyone, I recently built my first hackintosh and everything went smoothly up until I saw the resolution stuck at 1024x768 with no other options. I've tried running tonymac's Nvidia update, but I have yet to make any progress. Im using an EVGA 9500 GT graphics card.If anyone could please help me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

I was also wondering if just buying an ATI Radeon video card would fix my little problem. Would it work out of the box?

My specs: P8P67 Pro, i7 2600k, nvidia evga 9500 GT

Have you tried downloading “NVEnabler 64.kext” from kexts.com and putting it into /Extra/Extensions

(don't forget to rebuild the Extensions.mkext with kext utility).

Hey i was wondering if you could tell me if the ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 B3 Revision also works with this guide? :censored2:

I read another forum about the ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 B3 Revision which sent me to this guide.

Would be much appreciated if you could take a look at it :censored2:

Link here.

Hi you can't use 10.6.0 you have to use a "retail 10.6.3" or later, it installed yesterday on my P8P67-M-Pro and it was mega easy. Using this boot CD and thread. I also noticed that you run SLI and run a 9600 GSO for PhysX, mine kept panicking (GTX 480 as primary VGA and 9800 GT for PhysX), I removed the 9800GT and PCIroot=1 and everything went fine after that.

Cheers

brams

Just an update: I picked up a 10.6.3 retail dvd and had the same issues where the install DVd doesn't load and after it says drmos has arrived it reboots. Thats with the andyboot iso. Guess I'm going to have pull cards out of the system. Guess I don't need a 3rd video card for Physx processing really. Will pull it after work and see if it loads. Funny thing on my E8600 680i rig it loads up no problem but just can't see any hard drives due to the absence of ahci. Anyhow if anyone has installed a working osx86 rig on an P8p67 Deluxe please post a log or how you did it.. especially those with multi gpu setups..

Thanks.

Thanks for the great work Andy, I hope you can give me some pointers though. Specifically, I have two issues:

1) Bluetooth just doesn't want to work on my board. I applied the 10.6.7 update and your install package, bluetooth appeared to be detected but when I try to add devices it fails to detect any. Windows 7 has no issues with this. System profiler identifies my bluetooth adapter as a CSR-type, even though I'm pretty sure it's an atheros adapter? Is this correct or does it indicate some problem?

2) Triple monitors through an ATi 5870. I haven't found a complete solution anywhere for this issue. I can get dual monitors working without problems, however if I even turn on the third monitor, the primary display gets transferred to it but it never receives signal. This means I can't really use the machine unless I turn the monitor off. I have two monitors connected through DVI with the third through DisplayPort.

Machine Specs:

Asus P8P67 Pro B3

8GB RAM

AMD 5870

Any pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Followed the guide and worked, tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy before and no luck.

My system :

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3

Intel Core i7 2600K

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU 2DI 1GD5

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz (4GB during installation)

As someone else noticed I too ignored that your installer only had ATi drivers. But I fixed this after with the "tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update" and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for sound.

But I have another problem. I have problems with random crashes, usually after some use for either games or other memory stealing programs.

I have run memtest on each of the 4 4GB Memory blocks, everyone passing the tests. Running the memtest with all 4 blocks in place, it fails (crashes/hangs the system)

Same have happened during boot with -v running it looks like the kernel panics right after initializing the LAN interface (getting an IP through DHCP or right away if no link)

My question, have anyone else experienced problems with 16GB RAM on their systems ?

Atleast the system seems stable with 4GB of memory. THough I would love to use the rest of the blocks :)

Have you tried downloading “NVEnabler 64.kext” from kexts.com and putting it into /Extra/Extensions

(don't forget to rebuild the Extensions.mkext with kext utility).

Could you please give me a quick run through on how to do so? Im just a noob =/

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] at first and the graphics were fine, but the sound wouldn't work. I reformatted my hard drive and decided to use Andy boot. My sound worked fine, but now my resolution was stuck at 1024x768.

Could you please give me a quick run through on how to do so? Im just a noob =/

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] at first and the graphics were fine, but the sound wouldn't work. I reformatted my hard drive and decided to use Andy boot. My sound worked fine, but now my resolution was stuck at 1024x768.

I don't use an Nvidia card so I really can't give you a run through (either quick or slow!)

If I were you I would reinstall whatever packages that you used when you unstalled via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] - that should overwrite anything graphics related that was installed when you used the package on my boot disk.

Thanks for the great work Andy, I hope you can give me some pointers though. Specifically, I have two issues:

1) Bluetooth just doesn't want to work on my board. I applied the 10.6.7 update and your install package, bluetooth appeared to be detected but when I try to add devices it fails to detect any. Windows 7 has no issues with this. System profiler identifies my bluetooth adapter as a CSR-type, even though I'm pretty sure it's an atheros adapter? Is this correct or does it indicate some problem?

I've spent a few hours tonight looking into the bluetooth issues and it doesn't look good to me. I'm no expert by a long shot but it looks to me that the windows drivers actually load the firmware into the Asus/Atheros bluetooth device which is why it works if you boot windows first and reboot into snow leopard without powering down.

If you boot windows then reboot into snow leopard and check system profiler you will see that the bluetooth hardware is detected and under usb devices you will see Asus bluetooth device with asus vendor id etc. If you then shut down (not restart I mean power down completely) and switch back on and go straight to snow leopard system profiler will show no bluetooth hardware detected and under usb devices you will find an Atheros device (with Atheros vendor id this time) but snow leopard has no idea what it is!

Just wanted to comment that I finally got my P8P67 Deluxe up and running with OSX. I had issues getting the OSX install DVD to load as it allways rebooted the system before even loading the installer. So I had to hook up my hard drive to a usb adapter and perform the installation steps from my Macbook Pro using the OSInstall.mpkg file and then directing every other installation and or combo update at the external drive. Then attach the drive back to my computer and run Andyboot ISO CD to boot the drive as for some reason it wouldn't boot into the bootloader at all. After it booted I ran the P8P67 install again from the AndyBoot.iso straight from the hard drive and it was able to boot and even multi boot my Windows 7 partitions. Way cool!

The only thing is that I'm stuck at 1280x1024 and GraphicsEnabler=Yes gives me a black screen and I've tried running the tonymac nvidia update and editing the apple.Boot.plist file and adding 1600x1200 to the display setting but it didn't work. Though I can confirm I have sound from the motherboard HD sound and ethernet working and firewire and usb ports. Not sure about Bluetooth. I ran lspci and hardware profiler and OSX sees all three of my gpus but not sure if its loaded a Kext for my 285GTX. I also sees my sound blaster but doesn't list it as an an audio device. Then theres also a lot of intel devices that are unrecognized as well.

Just wish I could figure out this video issue. Theres got to be working drivers somewhere because NVidia driver page lists drivers for the GTX285 along with 10.6.7. Just refused to run though you can run the individual package installers from within the main pkg file though didn't really do anything. Anyhow happy day that it kind of works anyhow!

Thanks .

Will just buying an ATI Radeon card fix my problem out of the box if im still using your boot loader?

In a perfect world yes however if you have any remnants of modified Nvidia drivers or injectors still on your system then you 'may' encounter problems that you will need to clean up. In other words 'no guarantees'

I ran lspci and hardware profiler and OSX sees all three of my gpus but not sure if its loaded a Kext for my 285GTX.

3 gpu's :(

Looks like you are going to have fun getting that little lot working!

Followed the guide and worked, tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Legacy before and no luck.

My system :

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3

Intel Core i7 2600K

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU 2DI 1GD5

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz (4GB during installation)

As someone else noticed I too ignored that your installer only had ATi drivers. But I fixed this after with the "tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update" and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for sound.

But I have another problem. I have problems with random crashes, usually after some use for either games or other memory stealing programs.

I have run memtest on each of the 4 4GB Memory blocks, everyone passing the tests. Running the memtest with all 4 blocks in place, it fails (crashes/hangs the system)

Same have happened during boot with -v running it looks like the kernel panics right after initializing the LAN interface (getting an IP through DHCP or right away if no link)

My question, have anyone else experienced problems with 16GB RAM on their systems ?

Atleast the system seems stable with 4GB of memory. THough I would love to use the rest of the blocks :thumbsup_anim:

GTX 460 is noted as "Freezing" I was going to go the route of building my rig with a 460 but the freezing issue put me off. I too used Andys boot CD on a P8P67-M-Pro B3 and used the TonyMac Cuda package but went instead for a GTX 480 and my rig is 100% stable no matter what I throw at it.

I'm using a DSDT and SSDT as well and have removed most of the kexts Andys CD originally installed (only got FakeSMC left in /E/E

I'm using a DSDT and SSDT as well and have removed most of the kexts Andys CD originally installed (only got FakeSMC left in /E/E

How do you get your onboard audio to work, have jmicron sata support and avoid the kernel panics that usueally ensue from not having NullCPUPowerManagement installed if that's the only kext in your extras folder? I'm curious!

Are you sure you have rebuilt the extra/extensions.mkext file since deleting the kexts?

If I format my hard drive, use Andy Boot and replace my current 9500 GT with an ATI Radeon, would it work out of the box and fix my resolution? No more nVidia injectors so what you mentioned wouldn't be a problem correct?

3 gpu's :unsure:

Looks like you are going to have fun getting that little lot working!

Andy,

Why do you say that?

Maybe the retail nvidia drivers for my gtx285 can be fooled into running somehow. I tried to run the installer and it err'd out saying incompatible hardware. Maybe changing the hardware profile would help because the release notes are very specific on which macs they work on..

Thanks.

GTX 460 is noted as "Freezing" I was going to go the route of building my rig with a 460 but the freezing issue put me off. I too used Andys boot CD on a P8P67-M-Pro B3 and used the TonyMac Cuda package but went instead for a GTX 480 and my rig is 100% stable no matter what I throw at it.

Could you detail the process, and post the dsdt/ssdt which I assume is from RevoGirl? I couldn't get audio working using DSDT/SSDT without patched AppleHDA. Did add the three kext's from MPB SB update? AppleLPC, etc?