ASUS G73JH - Mac OS X 10.6.6 - All is WORKING!

pavol.tomik

229 posts in this topic

So I've been digging through this thread and have tried so many different configurations but there are still some stuff i just dont get it seems:

My Setup:

First off I tried this whole process with newest versions of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.1, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.7.3.

My G73JH has an i7 720, 8GB RAM and a ATI 5870 and running with BIOS 211.

Ok now for the procedure:

- Used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install SL which is the easy part

- Rebooted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and configured SL

- Ran the combined Patch to get OS patched to 10.6.7 (even tried 6.8 once same result)

- Open [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Ok now here the confusion starts:

- [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] yes/no?

- Some say with EvOrReboot&NULLCPU some say without. In the zip file of the OP there are kexts for both. Are they modified? Should we use new ones?

- "select the ATI kernels/kexts", The only ones i see are inejctors for 4800. Thought the 5xxx series is now natively supported.

- Mac 4,1 or Mac Pro 6,1? Whats the difference?

- Chimera or Chameleon? As far as i know Chimera should be the better choice atm.

Essentially what it comes down to: Could somebody just please give a clear statement of what to check and what not? I'm going crazy here.

- "Replace the Extra folder". Which one? The one in root or System/Library/Extras. Or exactly that? Replace the S/L/E one with the one from the root directory?

- Additional kexts as needed (sadly havent gotten that far)

So I've attempted this about 5-8 times and each time after I run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and try to restart the following happens:

- During shutdown it the "wheel" stops turning and freezes. (Only possiblity to power it off)

- If I then try to boot OSX I see the nice apple and the turning "wheel" below it for... forever. Let it run for over 45min once and usually give up after 10min. So you could say it "freezes" at that point.

Where am I going wrong? Could somebody answer at least a few of the questions I have.

Thx

Hey guys...

I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.7 with my G73JH, but i've got no Multitouch. If i want to open the Settings from VoodooPS2, there appears an error: ApplePS2SynapticsTouchPad not found

I hope, that someone could help me. This is a 32bit Kext.

It's the first time, that i've done somezhing like this. Would be great, if i can get it working -_-

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
How frustrating is the keyboard backlight! Should be a bios, hardware switch feature. I wanted to ask if is this the same for everyone else? Only works in windows with the driver, software enabling the hotkeys. Which I can understand why there isn't a solution for this yet in our SL install.

Am I the only one that thinks there must be some sort of hardware/BIOS switch, as the keyboard lights flash on while the machine is POSTing...

Also, has anyone got the webcam to work? The light turns on with mine, so it is sort-of recognised but there's no video from it, just a black screen.

c) power management seems to be not working efficiently (fans are spinning faster that under win 7) -not sure about that one just a gut feeling

Thank you

I have to say that I think exactly the same thing, the air coming out of the back seems to be a lot hotter when doing nothing than on Windows, and it sounds louder. I'm wondering if OS X is just running the processor at its max frequency all the time (or close to it), rather than slowing it down when it's not needed. I don't know how to check CPU core freqs in OS X though.

Has anyone gotten their HDMI out to work with any sort of converter? I was able to connect the G73jh to my TV (HDMI to HDMI). I have a computer monitor that has DVI and VGA input; I bought a HDMI to DVI cable to run the HDMI signal from my laptop to my monitor's DVI input, and it does not connect, any thoughts?

Hey ctang2000,

can you create a little guide for Lion? i think i have to upgrade to 10.6.8 before, and i don't know exactly, how i can make it work.

Greetings :)

You don't need to upgrade to 10.6.8.

Here is the link about how to upgrade 10.6.6 or upper to lion.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

Have to mount the Lion Package disk before you start Xmove as it is not stated clearly in the tutorial.

Now i've installed Lion on my G73.

I have now a few problems:

No Quartz/GL

No Battery found

Can't use Multitouch functions

Maybe anybody know, how to eleminate this problems :D

EDIT: I'Ve a olution for the Battery problem:

Just install this here with Kext Helper, and then, run Kext Utility

Maybe anybody know, how to eleminate this problems :(

How do you know Quartz GL is not working?

I tried to play Portal, but it didnt work. Then, i test it, with the Dashboard. If you add a new thing there, there must be "waves" around the new added thing. But there arn't "waves".

And about the Battery: With this package, i've posted, i have issues. After a few minutes, it just hang. It shows 50 minutes, and then... it just freeze.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I am reviving a old thread here, but I just can't get anywhere on this.

I have the budget version of the G73JH, with a i5 450, 5GB of RAM, single disk and the 5870.

Prior to attempting this I installed a second disk in my laptop which I want to use with OS X.

I tried following the first post and downloaded all files, burned [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to a CD and tried with a retail 10.6.3 disk and also with iAtkos S3. With the retail disk I just get to [PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN]. I've tried pretty much every boot flag I've found while googling, and disabled pretty much everything in the BIOS to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what I can do here? With iAtkos I don't even get that far, it reboots as soon as I can see the apple logo pop up for just a few milliseconds.

Any bright ideas here?

Mockillo

Sorry if I am reviving a old thread here, but I just can't get anywhere on this.

I have the budget version of the G73JH, with a i5 450, 5GB of RAM, single disk and the 5870.

Prior to attempting this I installed a second disk in my laptop which I want to use with OS X.

I tried following the first post and downloaded all files, burned [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to a CD and tried with a retail 10.6.3 disk and also with iAtkos S3. With the retail disk I just get to [PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN]. I've tried pretty much every boot flag I've found while googling, and disabled pretty much everything in the BIOS to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what I can do here? With iAtkos I don't even get that far, it reboots as soon as I can see the apple logo pop up for just a few milliseconds.

Any bright ideas here?

Mockillo

Try with Empire EFI, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] didn't work for me. The flags I needed changed randomly, but the most consistent was "-x32 maxmem=4096".

That's all I can say.

• 2 weeks later...

Any bright ideas here?

Mockillo

Don't use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], you should try to use the iAtkos disk (press f8 to enter the selection menu) to boot with those flags: -x -v -cpu=8 busratio=20

Worked for me :)

Maybe anybody know, how to eleminate this problems :D

I have few questions.

1. Did you install Lion over your Snow Leopard or in a new Partition?

2. How did you pass over the first step that told me that there is no Keyboard on my computer :-S

Any bright ideas here?

Mockillo

i got the same problem :D

[PCI CONFIGURATION BEGIN], i cant start the installation

• 2 weeks later...
I have few questions.

1. Did you install Lion over your Snow Leopard or in a new Partition?

2. How did you pass over the first step that told me that there is no Keyboard on my computer :-S

Hey, i know this answer is late, but i hope its ok.

I have installed it over the existing SL partition, and... i dont know well, but i think there wasn't problems with the keyboard. But if yes, try to use an external keyboard, maybe, after the setup, it works. Just try it :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got my G73JH working by using the method on the origial post. Using 10.6.3 then combo update to 10.6.6. Copy "Extra" folder and "boot" file. Install Atheros or Intel Wifi kext, install VoodooHDA kext.

Make sure you run Kext Utility after installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and kexts so it can do it's thing. Also go to disk utility after you've completed all steps to repair permissions before rebooting.

• Wifi works (OSX cannot remember previous networks you connected - have to reselect each time you boot up)
  • Sound works
  • Touchpad works (scroll with the right side of touchpad)
  • Sleep/Shutdown doesn't work - screen will go light blue and stay that way
  • Restart works
  • HDMI out doesn't work (garbled laptop screen, but extended screen works fine)
  • HDMI will work fine as long as the monitor is plugged in before boot up. Will not work once you are in OSX

Just a quick note to all the noobs saying multi-touch isn't working - There is no multi-touch hardware. How is it supposed to work?

post-943538-0-83586700-1325417623_thumb.png

Edited by jayliu

• 2 weeks later...

Note to jayliu : I guess i'm also a noob about the hardware part, but the dual touch for scroling works for me on Lion ( and this option imo isn't supposed to work on windows), maybe my noobiness drew an angel's sympathy and made it work...

seriously, did anyone get a working solution for the keyboard backlight ? already tested the ATK package for windows posted earlier without success...

Thank you in advance !

• 4 months later...

Hey guys real quick. I have 2 500GB HD's that I just wiped clean and I want to go ahead with a dual-boot. What do you all think is the best way of going about this? Typically I like to have my OS partitions on a serparate physical drive as my data as well as having them in a Striped RAID configuration for faster performance. I'm using my iOS install exclusively for music production and I've got tons of MP3's that I need to access from both iOS and Windows. How will (or will I be able to) access these MP3's if I put them on my OSX partition?

I RAID'd as follows

OSX OS - 400GB (RAID)

WIN 0S - 100GB (RAID)

Now, after installation I see in my NAWCOM Boot menu (RAID Disk1 , RAID Disk2, DVD). When I select RAID Disk1 it starts to load then I just get a very loud noise (extremely loud screech) and I have to shut the computer off. That's where I'm stuck. Can I just make my partition on 1 disk and RAID it after OSX is installed?

Thanks,

Noob Boy