Radeon HD4770 Solutions

rafirafi

118 posts in this topic

Hello there. I'm using an ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 4730 card, with the RV770 chip, and I have the same problem in Lion. The animations in Launchpad are really slow, and the video playback is pretty bad. I tried the ATI 48xx enabler from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8 but had no succes, it bricks my system. I also tried to install some custom kexts but those didn't worked either. I managed to install my audio and network cards with two kexts, so I'm guessing I only need the right kext to have a fully functional graphics card. Any chances of getting this video card to work?

If anyone interested in getting his ATI 4770 working on 10.6.8 here's what u need to do.

boot in safe mode

Add ur card ID to ATI4800Controller.Kext "mine is 0x94b31002"

Replace ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive.bundle with 10.6.3 version and make sure to add the card ID to ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Also u gonna need to replace OpenGL.framework "/System/Library/Frameworks/" with 10.6.3.1 "SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0" version.

download netkas latest aty_init Link and install it in S/L/E

use GraphicsEnabler=Yes & AtiConfig=Motmot

reboot with -f to rebuild sys caches and u'r done.

I didn't have time to experiment more so plz report ur findings.

Hello there. I'm using an ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 4730 card, with the RV770 chip, and I have the same problem in Lion. The animations in Launchpad are really slow, and the video playback is pretty bad. I tried the ATI 48xx enabler from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.8 but had no succes, it bricks my system. I also tried to install some custom kexts but those didn't worked either. I managed to install my audio and network cards with two kexts, so I'm guessing I only need the right kext to have a fully functional graphics card. Any chances of getting this video card to work?

Sorry it's not the same chip (RV740 vs RV770) you will not find valuable info in this thread.

hi all ... thanks zodiac for your info, i succsess to get my 4770 radeon working on 10.6.8. using boot-flicker ( thanks to raforafi for the link ...) but i got problem, QE/CI Work flawlessly, but i cant open itunes if using "boot flicker" also i can't install anything on it. i switch back the boot file to chameleon again, i get all application works also the installer ( but 4770 got 1024x768 only resolution, anybody know to fix it??

If anyone interested in getting his ATI 4770 working on 10.6.8 here's what u need to do.

boot in safe mode

Add ur card ID to ATI4800Controller.Kext "mine is 0x94b31002"

Replace ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive.bundle with 10.6.3 version and make sure to add the card ID to ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Also u gonna need to replace OpenGL.framework "/System/Library/Frameworks/" with 10.6.3.1 "SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0" version.

download netkas latest aty_init Link and install it in S/L/E

use GraphicsEnabler=Yes & AtiConfig=Motmot

reboot with -f to rebuild sys caches and u'r done.

I didn't have time to experiment more so plz report ur findings.

Did u replace OpenGL.framework ?

i'm using chameleon 1187 Link make sure to add those 2 keys to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Motmot</string>

Did u replace OpenGL.framework ?

i'm using chameleon 1187 Link make sure to add those 2 keys to org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Motmot</string>

Yes i already replace open GL framework ... buti didn't add string like you tell to me .. i will try, i will report back again

for your info, if i use boot file from chameleon rc4 it can install anything but stuck with resolutin and QE/CI. I try to find why boot flicker make me can't itunes or other program can't work ... Help me

@budiherryanto :

You can't use Flicker with the ATI kexts from 10.6.8 as it's no more in the ATI4800Controller , 10.6.8 is very restrictive about the framebuffer you can use (I think it's Motmot, Quail and Cardinal only but I'm not sure 100%).

What you can do :

--> use the 10.6.3 ATI kexts or

--> edit the personnality in the ATI4800Controller.kext from 10.6.8 to inject the personnality from Flicker in Motmot but it's not trivial you have to hexedit and test: it's what I've done to activate my dvi output under 10.6.7MBPUpdate (and get no more the inversed color problem but it's another story), it's a little bit complicated so I'm not willing to make tutorial for now, so if you choose this complicated way you're on your own.

-->The best seems to follow the zodiac advice as so far he's the only one reporting success with 10.6.8.

@zodiac : thank you for reporting.

• 3 months later...

Dear zodiac and all!

Could you help me?

I have installed 10.6.8, with latest updates, everything works fine, except my VGA of course... My Powercolor HD4770 (dual dvi) has the same hardware ID which waas posted (0x94b31002, i checked under Win7).

system:

C2Q 9300

Asus P5Q (with pached DSDT.aml by DSDT autopatcher)

4 GB RAM

build1700 (latest) Chameleon, and Chameleon Wizard, so I can edit .plist files also

No success on HD4770...

I downloaded 10.6.3 dmg update, and SnowLeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0, extracted pkgs with TransMac under Win7, and unpkg under OSX.

So I have the

- 10.6.3.1 version of OpenGL.framework dir from graphicsupdate and

- 10.6.3 versions of ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive.bundle

- and also 10.6.8 version of ATI4800Controller.Kext.

After booting in safe mode (-x) I have edited info.plist filess of v10.6.3 ATIRadeonX2000.kext and v10.6.8 ATI4800Controller.Kext -> under IOPCIMatch parameter I inserted the ID "0x94b31002" string (without quotes ofc) to the last position in the "array", so I hit a "space" after the last 0x9... ID and insert 0x94b31002, and finally sav the info.plist. I edited both of them (v10.6.3 ATIRadeonX2000.kext and v10.6.8 ATI4800Controller.Kext).

I replaced these kext files (just a simple replace by Finder, so i did not install these kexts for example by KextHelper b7) to S/L/E, and deleted OpenGL.framework dir in S/L/E/Frameworks and then copied the 10.6.3.1 version OpenGL.framework dir to S/L/E/Frameworks as well.

Then i have installed latest aty_init by KextHelper b7 (finished well) and then edited org.Chameleon.boot.plist by Chameleon Wizard -> ticked GraphicsEnabler=Yes and ticked AtiConfig, choose Motmot framebuffer also. These parameters appeared in my org.Chameleon.boot.plist file, so Chameleon Wizard did the work.

Rebooted, at chameleon bootolader hit Enter and type -f to remove kext caches, but the boot stops before I get the desktop.

My system runs only with "GraphicsEnabler=No" flags, as earlier before the VGA hack.

I tried -v verbose mode, and my system loads everything, except my desktop. So if I boot with -v flag and check what is going on, there is no difference in loading kexts and another things booting with or without "GraphicsEnabler=No" flags, except if I dont type "GraphicsEnabler=No", there is no desktop, the loading stops somewhere at the last "checkpoint"...

As it seems in verbose mode, aty_init kext can identify my VGA, it prints something like this:

load aty_init.kext

check 0x94b3

found 0x94b3

quit 0x94b3

or something like that (sorry, i am not in front of my system).

Sorry for my english, I am from Hungary, I hope you can give me some advice. Where am I wrong?

Thx very much!!!

I did it, workaround works as zodiac posted! But with some mods! (GE=No).

I installed aty_init.kext, 10.6.3 kexts and the modified kexts by Kext Helper b7 in safe mode, then replaced the framework dir, then reboot, start GraphicsEnabler=No -f -v flags.

Everything loads, blank picture on desktop... then I put my DVI cable to DVI0 output instead of DVI1 and... happiness!

My mistake was I used DVI1! I changed to DVI0 instead of DVI1 output and with GraphicsEnabler=No I have native 1920x1200 desktop (first with inverted colors, but i change resolution and back to 1920x1200 and finally colors are fine)!!!

I tested VGA by XBench and OpenGLExtensionViewer and its ok! The 3D graphics is fine!

Cons:

1. With "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" there is no success. But i read that aty_init.kext is an injector/enabler, so if people use VGA injector/enabler there is no need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, so I think its fine with GE=No and this is not a problem.

2. Under Youtube videos I have no HW accereration, runs under software renderer.

Anyway, why we need 10.6.3 kexts and 10.6.3.1 OpenGL framework for HD4770? Why the solution doesn't work under SL 10.6.8, like edit just ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.Kext 10.6.8 versions putting the HW ID in them, and just use the default ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive.bundle version 10.6.8 kexts?

1. With "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" there is no success. But i read that aty_init.kext is an injector/enabler, so if people use VGA injector/enabler there is no need to use GraphicsEnabler=Yes, so I think its fine with GE=No and this is not a problem.

2. Under Youtube videos I have no HW accereration, runs under software renderer.

Anyway, why we need 10.6.3 kexts and 10.6.3.1 OpenGL framework for HD4770? Why the solution doesn't work under SL 10.6.8, like edit just ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.Kext 10.6.8 versions putting the HW ID in them, and just use the default ATIRadeonX2000.kext, AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin, ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive.bundle version 10.6.8 kexts?

You can read the post where I explain why HD4770 will not work in Lion it will give you some clue, basically there is support for the hd4770 chipset (rv740) only in 10.6.3, didn't was here before and was dropped after.

Aty_init work fine, perhaps it'smore simple than choose and use an appropriate chameleon boot file for you

For stable result I suggest you use only kexts and opengl frameworh from 10.6.3 combo update.

For youtube I can't tell you is it use hardware accel all I know is video is ok in 1080p for me but you may be right.

Hi rafirafi!

Thx for your reply!

basically there is support for the hd4770 chipset (rv740) only in 10.6.3, didn't was here before and was dropped after

But as we edit our HW ID into info.plists of v10.6.8 ATI4800Controller and v10.6.3 ATIRadeonX2000 kexts, we "lie" for the enabler (ATY_init or bulit-in GraphicsEnabler, whatever) : "use this card as a HD48xx, even it has another GPU", so our HD4770 is going to be a fake HD48xx, won't it? And HD48xx cards are supported under 10.6.8. and therefore we shouldn't need 10.6.3 kexts, should we?

Or maybe I don't understand something.

For stable result I suggest you use only kexts and opengl frameworh from 10.6.3 combo update.

I extracted my kexts from "Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update" (March 29, 2010) as zodiac posted instead of "Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)" (April 12, 2010) as you say. Are kexts from v10.6.3v1.1 combo update better, more stable versions?

And I extracted the OpenGL.Framework from "Snow Leopard Graphics Update 1.0" (August 16, 2010), is the framework from "Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)" better solution (if 10.6.3v1.1 combo contains it)?

But as we edit our HW ID into info.plists of v10.6.8 ATI4800Controller and v10.6.3 ATIRadeonX2000 kexts, we "lie" for the enabler (ATY_init or bulit-in GraphicsEnabler, whatever) : "use this card as a HD48xx, even it has another GPU", so our HD4770 is going to be a fake HD48xx, won't it? And HD48xx cards are supported under 10.6.8. and therefore we shouldn't need 10.6.3 kexts, should we?

Or maybe I don't understand something.

"use this card as a HD48xx, even it has another GPU"

--> no we say try to use this 4800 kext for this card even if it's not a 4800. The id added will ONLY say to the OS to try to load the kext if pci hardware with this id is detected.

The accel kexts ( ATIRadeonX2000...) make other checks to launch the renderer adapted to the hardware --> rv470 renderer match our card and is functionnal only in 10.6.3, if the adapted renderer is not present you fall back to software renderer, if the renderer is not functionnal you have a kernel panic.

The framebuffer kext (Atisupport, Ati4800Controller ...) doesn't make these other checks so if you do some effort you can use them, but it's safer to stick with 10.6.3 if you don't understand what you're doing.

Everything is clear, thank you master :rolleyes:

I will use 10.6.3 versions, because only desktop acceleration is what I need, I play games under WinXP or Win7.

One more thing I experienced is my OSX freezes under 4.0 OpenGL Extension Viewer test (full-screen rounding head) if I use multisampling more than the default value 1 or 2 (not remember the correct value, but default), independently of resolution. But with aniso filtering there is no bug / freeze, I can use anisotropic filtering value 16x, all the other options are on default.

Is it better to use kexts from 10.6.3 combo update instead of the about 1 month earlier 10.6.3 update as I used to, or the issue may caused by using OpenGL.Framework from the Graphics update 1.0 instead of 10.6.3 or 10.6.3 combo updates?

Thanx in advance!

Is it better to use kexts from 10.6.3 combo update instead of the about 1 month earlier 10.6.3 update as I used to, or the issue may caused by using OpenGL.Framework from the Graphics update 1.0 instead of 10.6.3 or 10.6.3 combo updates?

Support is not perfect, there is (generally small) variation in performance given which kexts/framework you use but sadly if you want perfect support (or Lion support) the best to do is to get an officially supported graphic card.

If you are willing to have the best performance you can follow detosx advices(I think it reports its experiments here) but be ready to break your system and to make a lot of test by yourself. If you're willing to not have inverted color you can tweak the personnality of the framebuffer(binary patching and more fun)... it's up to you :rolleyes:

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, being a hackintoshing newbie. I have an OptiPlex 790 with a Dell motherboard, chipset q65, gpu AMD Radeon HD 6350. I'm dual booting Windows 7 (blech), and 10.7.2.

The graphics worked OOB, but without QE/CI, which is what I've been having the hardest time with. Using Kext Utility, I installed ATI frame buffer, ATIsupport, ATIxxxxController's - four of them, and I already had in the extensions folder, atiRadeonx2000. I edited this last one and the ATI6000Controller, adding my particular cards string, 0x68f91002. But when I ran system utilities through [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], it said there was a problem with each of these kexts and they needed to be reinstalled. So I had to undo those changes.

#1, How can I edit kexts and then repair permissions?

#2, Am I even editing the right kexts?

#3, How do I get the edited kexts to show up under Extensions in System Information, because so far, they haven't?

#4, What else do I need to edit/install to get functionality? Some people say DO Aticonfig - motmot, some say don't, some say no graphics enabler, some say yes, etc.

Thanks for the help. Everyone in the osx86 community is AWESOME!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

Please help me. I'm new to Mac, and Iv'e gone ALL over these posts here, in this thread; didn't find

any help. I'm using Sapphire HD 4770 Video Card and my I don't have drivers. I'm using Lion. Please help me.

• 5 months later...

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, being a hackintoshing newbie. I have an OptiPlex 790 with a Dell motherboard, chipset q65, gpu AMD Radeon HD 6350. I'm dual booting Windows 7 (blech), and 10.7.2.

The graphics worked OOB, but without QE/CI, which is what I've been having the hardest time with. Using Kext Utility, I installed ATI frame buffer, ATIsupport, ATIxxxxController's - four of them, and I already had in the extensions folder, atiRadeonx2000. I edited this last one and the ATI6000Controller, adding my particular cards string, 0x68f91002. But when I ran system utilities through ######, it said there was a problem with each of these kexts and they needed to be reinstalled. So I had to undo those changes.

#1, How can I edit kexts and then repair permissions?

#2, Am I even editing the right kexts?

#3, How do I get the edited kexts to show up under Extensions in System Information, because so far, they haven't?

#4, What else do I need to edit/install to get functionality? Some people say DO Aticonfig - motmot, some say don't, some say no graphics enabler, some say yes, etc.

Thanks for the help. Everyone in the osx86 community is AWESOME!

HD6350 is the same as HD5450. there are numerous posts out there check em out ;)