Radeon HD4770 Solutions

rafirafi

118 posts in this topic

Hi... I don't have chameleon...

How i supose to do this?

I only want two DVI, no HDMI...

I think that only need chameleon for HDMI,right?

What i need to do to get native resolution, first of all...

Edit: Now i have chameleon... But i can't change the resolution...

My printscreen is equal to Nick535...

Hello DarkFlager,

there is no "chameleon for hdmi", there are framebuffers you could try.

If you don't want to install chameleon you could use evoenabler4770's kext : use textedit to change every occurence of the name of the framebuffer: Motmot, Flicker, Quail, Cardinal, Baboon... or whatever you want to test.

If you manage to get 2 DVI let me know how you did! :)

As far as I know (but could be different for your card):

Motmot, Cardinal : with dvi->vga only

Ficker: dvi ( only one working with color problem as reported by Destox)

Quail: hdmi

1/ Add your id to ATI4800Controller and WHEN it's working (res change...)

2/ Add your id to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext using the 4 kexts from 10.6.3.

Detosx, and everyone who have inverted colors

just hit:

Control+Alt/Option+command+8

Thank you for the tip, DarkFlagster. ;)

I should add a proviso, here, that I found through testing. As said, what I had been doing previously was booting up in 1280x1024 to ensure the colors were right at both login and desktop and then switching to 1680x1050 to get the correct resolution, then remembering to shut down at 1280x1024. A couple of mouse clicks minor hassle. When I read your post I was still in 1280x1024. I experimented with that command, then went to change the screen resolution to 1680x1050 - which then gave me a solid blue screen. I had to shutdown the computer, boot up again, redo the command, reboot again and things were as before.

In conclusion, before applying the command make sure you are in your preferred screen resolution with non inverted colors - and then apply DarkFlagmasters suggestion and reboot. When you next boot the login page will still have the dramatic (but kind of cool) inverted colors but when you get to the desktop the colors are as should be and remain so on subsequent reboots.

I noticed there is a new Snow Leopard Graphics update. I downloaded it and opened it in Pacifist. It has the vanilla - so-to-speak - kexts for ATI4800Controller and the four ATIRadeonX2000 kexts. I am tempted to give it a go but notice also there is a folder with OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks, another folder with Launch agents and another with a launchDaemon and one under 'usr/share/man/man3' with lots of gl files and finally a folder called sandbox with cvnms sb files. I need to do my research but if rafirafi or anyone else has leapt on in there, it would be good to hear form you. :blink: 

I used Pacifist to extract ATI48000Controller, ATIRadeonx2000 AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle from the Snow Leopard Graphics Update.

I added my device id to the new ATI4800Controller and to ATIRadeonx2000

I ran the update and rebooted. I installed the 4800 controller and rebooted. Fine so far. Then I installed the x2000 kexts. When I clicked to reboot I got kernel panic and the same on boot up

the Kernel Panic was triggered by AtiRadeonX2000 (6.1) with dependencies IOPCI 2.6 IONDRV 2.1 and IOGraphicsfamily 2.1.

From an adjoining partition with Snow Leopard installed on it, I made repairs to my main Snow Leopard partition, installing all of the old atiradeonx2000 kexts.

Bootup then went fine. XBench scores were, if anything, a little worse.

I am still testing, though.

Edit 1 - I had to use the new ATI4800Controller kext (inc device id) otherwise I got a garbled graphics mess where the login page would be.

Hello,

I've already test the Graphics Update and the mac update but as they are basically 10.6.4 the ATIRadeonX2000 ( as reported by Detosx ) give kernel panic even if the framebuffer works fine. So nothing new, use 10.6.3 kexts (eventually with 10.6.4 openGL framework) is the more wise for now.

Reporting back that in 10.6.4, using your EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker in System/Library/Extensions along with ATI4800Controller with my id 0x94b31002 added to its Info.plist, and still using Chameleon V2 R4 in my EFI partition, gives me native screen resolution from my 4770 using DVI. When booting up to the login screen all the colours are inverted but, as you said, changing the screen resolution in Systemm Preferences - in my case I had to temporarily change it to 800x600 - and then changing it back again to 1680 x 1050 fixes that for however long I'm logged in.

So, I can now edit photographs taking advantage of the screens acurate colour gamut. If I drag windows around, and so on, there is some jagginess to the edges of windows but, without acceleration, that is to be expected. Good stuff! I have downloaded 10.6.3 combo update and will use Pacifist to extra the ATIRadeonx2000 kexts and try and get VGA working tomorrow. I updated your profile rating to five stars, thank you for your efforts! ;)

HI,

I can see HD 4770 in about this Mac but I don't know how to add id in the info.plist ATI4800Controller. Log on as admin but receiving no permisions to write to this folder.

Booting snow Mac OS X 10.6 10A432 with my hack install.

Very first time in Mac OS

Compreshive step by step guide for the hd 4770 will make this topic useful for many newbies with this popular card.

Thank you in advance

Drag the ATIController4800.kext to your desktop, then make the modification.

If you don't have the right at this point (I don't see why,but...), you could do this in the Terminal:

cd Users/'your user name'/Desktop/

sudo chmod -R 777 ATI4800Controller.kext

then you will have the right to do the modification. When you drag the ATI4800Controller to 'kext utility' it will install with the appropriate rights.

Drag the ATIController4800.kext to your desktop, then make the modification.

If you don't have the right at this point (I don't see why,but...), you could do this in the Terminal:

cd Users/'your user name'/Desktop/

sudo chmod -R 777 ATI4800Controller.kext

then you will have the right to do the modification. When you drag the ATI4800Controller to 'kext utility' it will install with the appropriate rights.

Thank you for your attention Rafirafi.

I have changed info pilst by simple pasting id in it Now I have this id in the card preferences 0x94b3.

What I should exactly do with the id in the info pilst of the ATI4800Controller?

Make string or buton infront of it and paste?

Hi, Svetolik and others, first read over this post and make sure you have everything you need. It helps if you have two Snow partitions and that way if you mess up one and find yourself locked out by kernel panics, you can boot from the other.

Assuming you are using DVI, install EVOenabler 4770 string flicker kext (from rafirafi's post number 8, the download at the foot of that post) using Kext Utility

Carefully add 0x94b31002 to ATI4800Controller.kext's plist and then install said kext using Kext Utility.

Reboot

Carefully add 0x94b31002 to the ATIRadeonx2000.kext (as rafirafi says, 'if you want to use 10.6.4 system you must use the 4 RadeonX2000.* from 10.6.3 (not just ATIRadeonx2000.kext)'; you can use Pacifist to extract them from 10.6.3 Combo Update).

rafirafi mentions going into safe mode for the next stage, which sounds sensible, but what I did was, before you install ATIRadeonx2000.kex with Kext Utility I personally would first install install AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin and ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive first, as shortly after installing ATIRadeonx2000 you might find your computer kernel panics - so, as soon as you have then lastly installed ATIRadeonx2000 I would reboot. I imagine safe mode would be safer, though; I experienced kernel panic on one earlier attempt which locked me out of booting into that partition! With any test rig it has always made sense to me to have two snow partitions.

Hi, Svetolik and others, first read over this post and make sure you have everything you need. It helps if you have two Snow partitions and that way if you mess up one and find yourself locked out by kernel panics, you can boot from the other.

Assuming you are using DVI, install EVOenabler 4770 string flicker kext (from rafirafi's post number 4) using Kext Utility

Carefully add 0x94b31002 to ATI4800Controller.kext's plist and then install said kext using Kext Utility.

Reboot

Carefully add 0x94b31002 to the ATIRadeonx2000.kext (as rafirafi says, 'if you want to use 10.6.4 system you must use the 4 RadeonX2000.* from 10.6.3 (not just ATIRadeonx2000.kext)'; you can use Pacifist to extract them from 10.6.3 Combo Update).

rafirafi mentions going into safe mode for the next stage, which sounds sensible, but what I did was, before you install ATIRadeonx2000.kex with Kext Utility I personally would first install install AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin and ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive first, as shortly after installing ATIRadeonx2000 you might find your computer kernel panics - so, as soon as you have then lastly installed ATIRadeonx2000 I would reboot. I imagine safe mode would be safer, though; I experienced kernel panic on one earlier attempt which locked me out of booting into that partition! With any test rig it has always made sense to me to have two snow partitions.

Thank you Detox and Rafirafi I am for the first time on OSX and your patience is of great help.

Curently runing 10.6.3 by combo update only in -x mode (1400x1050x32) because of

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out.

Before that I am receiving fakesmc key note...not find... It is myhack install so there is kexts like evornabler fakesmc2.1 etc. (Where is that 2.5!?) I have only instaled boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly.zip EVOenabler 4770 string flicker kext ATI4800Controller.kext's andATIRadeonx2000.kext and only messing around so far. I can see in the sys. profiler ati frame bufer ati support extensions and ati hd4770 512mb with inserted id. Display prefs shows only one resolution that i have edited in the com.apple.Boot.plist

Is it possible to boot with two snow partition?

MY MOBO IS Asus p5qc.

Litle help for Mac moron

Hi Svetolik,

Firstly, I mispoke -- I meant post number 8, not post number 4; which is the correct place to download EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext.zip

I don't use boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly but use Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 as the bootloader instead. If you download Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz [744.10KB] from the Chameleon website and then extract it, you will see a folder called i386; in there you will find the most recent stable chameleon boot file (it's the one called 'boot'); use that to overwrite your existing boot file. (boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly might be causing conflicts; I had no luck with it so went back to using Chameleon.

Installing EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext using Kext Utility did the trick for me, when installed in the suggested order with ATI4800Controller with added device ID, reboot, install AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin and ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive and then, preferably in safe mode, install ATIRadeonx2000 with its added to device ID.

As to the right choice of kexts for your motherboard, I don't know the answer to that one but try and find other users. Perhaps that motherboard has a thread somewhere.

Don't be dispirited, you'll get there.

Hi Svetolik,

Firstly, I mispoke -- I meant post number 8, not post number 4; which is the correct place to download EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext.zip

I don't use boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly but use Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 as the bootloader instead. If you download Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz [744.10KB] from the Chameleon website and then extract it, you will see a folder called i386; in there you will find the most recent stable chameleon boot file (it's the one called 'boot'); use that to overwrite your existing boot file. (boot_PCEFI10.6_Flicker_HD4770_94b3_DVIOnly might be causing conflicts; I had no luck with it so went back to using Chameleon.

Installing EVOenabler_4770_string_flicker.kext using Kext Utility did the trick for me, when installed in the suggested order with ATI4800Controller with added device ID, reboot, install AtiRadeonX2000GA.plugin and ATIRadeonx2000GLDriver.bundle and ATIRadeonX2000VADrive and then, preferably in safe mode, install ATIRadeonx2000 with its added to device ID.

As to the right choice of kexts for your motherboard, I don't know the answer to that one but try and find other users. Perhaps that motherboard has a thread somewhere.

Don't be dispirited, you'll get there.

Is there comand to delete instaled kexts from -s mode? -f mode dont work for me

Your chameleon (Detocs) version gives me waiting for root device error Insatled it on new partition with clean snow 10.6.1

My hd 4770 has one DVI port.

Okay, now I am 10.6.2 and doing the same as my post above. I get the following when booting up in verbose

Failed to load executable for kext ATI4800

and then kernel panic

ATIRadeon x2000 (6.1.6)@0x353ba000->0x355afff

dependency IOPCIFmily (2.6)@0x2e74b000

IONDRVsupport (2.0)@0x34b96000

IOGraphicsfamily (2.0)@0x34a77000

I will keep experimenting.

Hi detox,

I have stacked right here. Ho do you resolve

Failed to load executable for kext ATI4800?

THX

Hi Svetolik - you don't technically need to uninstall the kexts; Kext Utility, as well as installing Kexts, will make bak copies of any kexts that you overwrite.

Chameleon, your best bet is to use, say, the old installer versions of Chameleon - Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg - and then put your needed kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder, if they are known to work from there for your particular hardware; you then drag that Extensions folder onto Kext Utility, assuming you have Kext Utility as a shortcut in your dock. Some kexts, the kexts for the 4770 for instance, are best installed to System/Library/Extensions, which is where Kext Utility installs them by default. But getting back to Chameleon, once the Chameleon 640 installer has done its job replace the boot file with the newer boot file from Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin which is in a folder called i386.

As to the 'Failed to load executable for kext ATI4800', the solution for me was to follow rafirafi's subsequent post, number 8, to the letter.

Hi Svetolik - you don't technically need to uninstall the kexts; Kext Utility, as well as installing Kexts, will make bak copies of any kexts that you overwrite.

Chameleon, your best bet is to use, say, the old installer versions of Chameleon - Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg - and then put your needed kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder, if they are known to work from there for your particular hardware; you then drag that Extensions folder onto Kext Utility, assuming you have Kext Utility as a shortcut in your dock. Some kexts, the kexts for the 4770 for instance, are best installed to System/Library/Extensions, which is where Kext Utility installs them by default. But getting back to Chameleon, once the Chameleon 640 installer has done its job replace the boot file with the newer boot file from Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-bin which is in a folder called i386.

As to the 'Failed to load executable for kext ATI4800', the solution for me was to follow rafirafi's subsequent post, number 8, to the letter.

Chameleon 640 installer gives mi panic om the boot.

Till now i never had display options for changing resolution but i managed to swtitch in 1400x1050 editing apple.com boot pilst and get thumbunals of pictures in the finder but not in the preview. I can watch mov. files.

in the profiler under extensions there is atti frame buffer, atti support an evoenabler 4770,

There is no atti 4800 contrler so that is the reason why i can't get native reolution as i have understand from Rafirafi explantation of importancy to get it as as first step.

Going for new fresh instal because somthing prevents atti 4800 contrler to install followin instructions from the 8th post

Any ideas?

Chameleon 640 installer gives mi panic om the boot.

Till now i never had display options for changing resolution but i managed to swtitch in 1400x1050 editing apple.com boot pilst and get thumbunals of pictures in the finder but not in the preview. I can watch mov. files.

in the profiler under extensions there is atti frame buffer, atti support an evoenabler 4770,

There is no atti 4800 contrler so that is the reason why i can't get native reolution as i have understand from Rafirafi explantation of importancy to get it as as first step.

Going for new fresh instal because somthing prevents atti 4800 contrler to install followin instructions from the 8th post

Any ideas?

Hi Svetoik, It can be quite trying to get these things working and starting over streamlines things.

As I say, I have two Snow partitions as an insurance policy. Rather than do a fresh install each time that I want to start over, I instead use an application called Carbon Copy Cloner to make a sparse image of my main freshly installed and clean Snow Leo partition; I do this from my other Snow Leo partition (as far as I know you can't clone the active partition that you have booted into); I save that sparse image to an external USB hard drive. I then, when starting afresh, use the proboot cd to boot into my retail Snow Leopard DVD and then use its Disk Utility to install from that sparse image, which puts everything back in place on a fresh hard drive. I then boot into that with the preboot CD, run Chameleon 640 installer, replace Chameleon 640's boot file with the newer one, pop the kexts that apply to my motherboard into my Extra/Extensions folder and then drag that Extensions folder onto Kext Utility, which makes a new Extensions.mkext (only put kexts in there that are known to work from that location; it can be better, especially when starting out, to just to use Kext Utility to one-by-one install all the kexts that apply to your hardware in System/Library/Extensions).

And then I'm good to go. The process, and keep in mind that sparse image included all the applications I use, only takes 15 minutes or so each time. I save all my documents, etc, to a separate hard drive so they are always accessible.

It is possible that your 4770 isn't quite the same as ours. Also, everyone should keep in mind that you attempt these things at your own risk. rafirafi was asking me if I had noted any problems with the graphics card overheating and was I using my set up regularly? I don't know how to test for overheating with the graphics card but because I lost an HP laptop because of overheating (a shutdown kext didn't work for me and the laptop, which because the screen had gone black I thought was fully switched off, cooked itself in my laptop bag; possibly a thermal trip switch should have sensed the laptop was overheating and shutdown the laptop but that didn't happen; it's not something a lot of people talk about but these things, albeit rarely, do happen), so I try to be cautious. But yes, I have been using this set up for a sustained period of time, now, in a fairly cool room, often falling asleep with it running. I haven't tried running anything intensive like video editing or extensive rendering but have watched a lot of HD Youtube videos and so on. As of yet I haven't noticed any ill effects, though I would like to find a way to monitor temperatures on the graphics card. I use Temperature Monitor to monitor CPU and hard drive temps.   

Proceed at your own risk and assorted other disclaimers but... still working, still using it daily. Frustrated that sleep results in graphics corruption but apart from that!

Thank you for your help Detox. There where a problem with my boot loader and I have no more nervs. Just trade it for 9800GT because Rafirafi reported that open CL not working.

Now I have two partitions with 9800GT NVinject and NVEnabler 64. On the first I have full OpenCL capabilities but twice worst OpenGL results. On the second one there is only 16 stream pocesors listed in the OpenCL test and KP in the chess.

The purpose is to use Final Cut so recomandations are welcome.

If you know something about how to get Macpro8800Gt bios with NVEnabler 64 please send me information to my PM.

Performance matters because of my digital restoration workflow.

Thanks to everybody.

"On the second one there is only 16 stream pocesors listed in the OpenCL test "

Nvidia processor count is 8* that shown count. Its normal for NV GPUs. Your GPU have 16*8 compute units i think - and all is OK for OpenCL.

Just to precise why there is no opencl with hd 4770 (rv740), according to Amd from an opencl point of view rv740 is like rv770. But with the snow driver opencl is enable only if your device is hardcoded, iirc it's in one of the RadeonX2000 kexts. So as the rv740 was never intended to be run with Snow by Apple, the RV740 is not hardcoded, this is why openCl couldn't work.

-if someone could hack the driver, don't know if it is possible,I would be happy to give it a try-

Good luck with Nvidia.