[Guide] P6X58D Premium. Retail 10.6.4 Install. :)

kup

247 posts in this topic

Yep. Did as your instructions. I actually re-do the whole process again just in case i missed a step. Viola!! Now the thumbdrive works :D HAHA!!

The HDD doesn't work, i've re-ran the bootloader, the Extra folder is already in the root dir from the 1st install. I actually expected this becos' i reinstall Win7 back to partition 1. My solution is to just use the bootloader in thumbdrive to bootup & select whichever OS i want to use.

Will want to reinstall OSx again this weekend to see if the color calibration works & the bootloader function.

I'll update again :D

Thanks for your kind help :D

Btw, any update with the 1TB HDD issue? Maybe after i reinstall the problem will go away...

Sorry to ask, is the command line meant for the dual boot test (in thumbdrive) or the 1TB test?

Just reinstalled SL again, the boot loader in HDD still not working. But i'm ok, cos the thumbdrive is acting like a dongle so its fine :)

Again, the audio needs to be patched in safe mode (don't know why), otherwise there's no sound. My comp front panel has no audio, but its also ok cos i have a headphone that is 3m long :)

What's not working & no solution:

1)The display calibrator. I suspect there must be some incompatibilities with the existing display kexts. But don't know how to trouble shoot. How does it affect other apps? Not sure, but will test it out in the coming weeks.

2)The 1TB data drive. Bootloader just doesn't seem to recognise or there might be a size limitation. Very strange. Whats the difference with my sys vs yours? Haven't the slightest clue.

A little tip for those looking to dual boot OSx & Win7 on the same HDD.

You need to format a blank drive 1st, use 132BootCD & bootup the SL installation disc & then use mac disk utility to partition it in GUID & make 2 partitions of any size.

Next format the partition installing OSx with Mac journaled file sys. The Win7 partition in FAT32.

After that reboot the sys & using the Win7 installation disc to boot up & just follow through the steps.

When Win7 installation is done, you still can't boot up direct into it, you'll still need the 132BootCD to boot it. Thats ok. Once Win7 is fully installed, reboot the sys using 132BootCD again but this time follow kup instructions closely, ie, press F5, insert SL retail disc, etc...

After all these steps, you'll be able to have dual OS in the same drive :(

ok, here's what i observed from the 1TB problem. It is the same as when i plug in a portable 2.5" USB drive, the sys will not bootup after POST.

Could this be an issue with time out in the 132BootCD? Maybe need more time for the drive to settle or recognise?

Also checked out the graphics section where users post their issue with the display calibrator not working with other cards like 8800GT. There's no solution apparently :)

thank you so much kup. I now have SL working (almost read below to see problem)

so I followed your guide and did the bootloader and put the extras in the root of the HDD but for some reason I can't get it to work. Today I'm going to try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and see if that fixes audio. Do you think this will work

p.s I have the P6X58D-E and 10.0.0

After preparing my bios and following your instructions to boot the snow leopard DVD. Boot132 works fine but half way through booting the snow leopard dvd it keeps gets stuck at one point.

i'm using an ASUS p6x58d premium, core i7 930, 1 TB Samsung f3 and a gtx 470 (gigabyte). I am also using the v2 iso image.

I boot with the line " -x -v cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21"

This is the lower part of the code i recieve:

HDAenabler: 03/07/2009 compiled for 32/64-bit by taruga
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
DSMOS has arrived
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
yukon: Ethernet address 48:5b:39:78:9c:8f
yukon: Ethernet address 48:5b 39:78:9b:e8

Sometimes the ethernet addresses are shown sometimes they are cut off, and thats hot i know it stalls here. the DVD drive also powers down.

There was one thing different in my BIOS to the p6t one you have given. I had two options for the "cpu voltage control" being "manual" or "offset". I chose the offset as there was no "auto" option.

I have tried to give you as much information as i could.

Thank you so so kindly

ok, here's what i observed from the 1TB problem. It is the same as when i plug in a portable 2.5" USB drive, the sys will not bootup after POST.

Could this be an issue with time out in the 132BootCD? Maybe need more time for the drive to settle or recognise?

Also checked out the graphics section where users post their issue with the display calibrator not working with other cards like 8800GT. There's no solution apparently :)

Can you try installing the bootloader manually for me? See if that fixes it?

thank you so much kup. I now have SL working (almost read below to see problem)

so I followed your guide and did the bootloader and put the extras in the root of the HDD but for some reason I can't get it to work. Today I'm going to try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and see if that fixes audio. Do you think this will work

p.s I have the P6X58D-E and 10.0.0

I put the instructions and the working 10.6.4 AppleHDA kext in the guide. You may have to boot into Safe Mode, delete the 10.6.4 AppleHDA manually from S/L/E and then install the new fixed one and run Kext Utility. :)

After preparing my bios and following your instructions to boot the snow leopard DVD. Boot132 works fine but half way through booting the snow leopard dvd it keeps gets stuck at one point.

i'm using an ASUS p6x58d premium, core i7 930, 1 TB Samsung f3 and a gtx 470 (gigabyte). I am also using the v2 iso image.

I boot with the line " -x -v cpus=4 arch=i386 busratio=21"

This is the lower part of the code i recieve:

HDAenabler: 03/07/2009 compiled for 32/64-bit by taruga
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
DSMOS has arrived
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
yukon: Ethernet address 48:5b:39:78:9c:8f
yukon: Ethernet address 48:5b 39:78:9b:e8

Sometimes the ethernet addresses are shown sometimes they are cut off, and thats hot i know it stalls here. the DVD drive also powers down.

There was one thing different in my BIOS to the p6t one you have given. I had two options for the "cpu voltage control" being "manual" or "offset". I chose the offset as there was no "auto" option.

I have tried to give you as much information as i could.

Thank you so so kindly

Try booting with no flags at all. And what GFX are you running?

Can you try installing the bootloader manually for me? See if that fixes it?

What exactly do u mean by manually? Any details on that? :(

What i did was simply click onto the Bootloader installer & ran it, then followed through the instructions & selected the drive i wanted to install the bootloader.

Its not just the bootloader in the HDD or flashdrive that's having issue with the 1TB drive attached, the boot CD that i created from the ISO image also can't boot after POST.

Hmm...

Ok, I've just installed 2x2TB HDD alongside my 1TB and a 160GB USB 2.5" HDD, once I have finished formatting them I will see if I can recreate your issue.

There are manual instructions in the Bootloader folder in my supplied archive. :(

I am starting to beleive it's a hardware issue though as the Boot132 CD works fine here. I'll keep looking for any issues. :)

Right, I've given it a try and I cannot reproduce your error. I can boot fine with all my drives attached. :)

What bios settings are you using in regards to HDD and ODD?

So i got past my original problem by using the latest empire EFI iso. Which worked with no flags. Then i formatted and installed but when i boot from my hard drive install of snow leopard it actually TURNS OFF mid way through. Its really weird, I'm using a GTX 470, with a p6x58d premium mobo and core i7 930.

Thanks

hi thank you kup and and everyone who has helped out in making installing possible but I have one problem with it and was wondering if you could help me out.

my problem is that my audio is not working in either 10.6.0 or 10.6.4 is there anyway that I can get it to work

EDIT: sorry forgot my specs.

i7 930

asus P6X58D-E

western digital black 1tb

BFG GTX 275

Right, I've given it a try and I cannot reproduce your error. I can boot fine with all my drives attached. :(

What bios settings are you using in regards to HDD and ODD?

The HDD & ODD are AHCI, everything else is auto. Detect delay is left at default 35sec. Not sure if other settings will cause it to be undetected

CPU ratio locked at 21 running 1.18V (default in auto is 1.12V)

OCZ RAM specs 8-8-8-24 but i loosen it to 9-9-9-24 cos' in Win7, totally unstable if left at default

RAM Voltage 1.6V

QPI Voltage 1.3V

Also read that if all RAM slots are occupied, there's stability problem. Not sure if this affects the drive detection.

Not using Marvell SATA3 so its at default IDE, tried disabling it but no effect

What brand of HDD did you buy? So far only this Western D Black Scorpio 1TB is giving me problem. I plugged in the old HDD from my old sys (Western D 250GB AAKS) with the same SATA cable & power cable & at the same SATA port, no issue at all, full sys boot up. Currently i need to hotplug it in after boot up to access to the data in the 1TB drive. Will look into the manual install of bootloader later, kind of busy ATM.

Thank you so much kup!! ;) You the man!!

So i got past my original problem by using the latest empire EFI iso. Which worked with no flags. Then i formatted and installed but when i boot from my hard drive install of snow leopard it actually TURNS OFF mid way through. Its really weird, I'm using a GTX 470, with a p6x58d premium mobo and core i7 930.

Thanks

I believe your problem lies with the 470GTX as by default OSX doesn't have the drivers installed for it. The HDD do switch on and off sometime but I believe you're having the same issue I had with the barely supported 2600XT when I first tried SL.

hi thank you kup and and everyone who has helped out in making installing possible but I have one problem with it and was wondering if you could help me out.

my problem is that my audio is not working in either 10.6.0 or 10.6.4 is there anyway that I can get it to work

EDIT: sorry forgot my specs.

i7 930

asus P6X58D-E

western digital black 1tb

BFG GTX 275

Have you enabled Audio in the bios and set it to HD? Did you follow the 10.6.4 upgrade and Audio guide at the end of the main guide?

Try booting into Safe Mode when using 10.6.4 (use -x flag), navigate to System/Library/Extensions and delete AppleHDA. Extract the supplied modified version to S/L/E and run Kext Utility. This should fix any permission issues.

Reboot and Audio should be working. :)

The HDD & ODD are AHCI, everything else is auto. Detect delay is left at default 35sec. Not sure if other settings will cause it to be undetected

CPU ratio locked at 21 running 1.18V (default in auto is 1.12V)

OCZ RAM specs 8-8-8-24 but i loosen it to 9-9-9-24 cos' in Win7, totally unstable if left at default

RAM Voltage 1.6V

QPI Voltage 1.3V

Also read that if all RAM slots are occupied, there's stability problem. Not sure if this affects the drive detection.

Not using Marvell SATA3 so its at default IDE, tried disabling it but no effect

What brand of HDD did you buy? So far only this Western D Black Scorpio 1TB is giving me problem. I plugged in the old HDD from my old sys (Western D 250GB AAKS) with the same SATA cable & power cable & at the same SATA port, no issue at all, full sys boot up. Currently i need to hotplug it in after boot up to access to the data in the 1TB drive. Will look into the manual install of bootloader later, kind of busy ATM.

Thank you so much kup!! :P You the man!!

I'm using 1x 36GB Western Digital Raptor as my Win7 drive, 1x 1TB Seagate 'Cuda as my Games drive. 2x 2TB Samsung F3 EcoGreen as my TV and Film drives and finally a 2.5" 160GB USB Seagate (in a Packard Bell Store & Play 2500 caddy) external HDD as my main SL drive.

BOOYAH!

Thank you Kup! I really appreciate all your efforts putting this together. I spent MANY hours messing with other methods before finding this post. I was up until 4:00 am earlier this week trying to get this thing to boot OSX.

Your installation worked fantastically.

I did have a the audio issue, but that was fixed by your suggestion.

My kids were FREAKED out when they saw my screen yesterday. They were like "Hey, I thought you had a PC. THAT'S A MAC!" Yeah! Who's cool, now? Yeah... that's right. Dad is!

I am so thankful for your solution. I wish I could buy a 6 pack for you.

Seriously. I was on another site and I saw where some guy offered $75 if someone could help him get a Hackintosh working. I am not about to spend that kind of cash. But, I would love to send you an iTunes or Amazon gift card or something as a sign of my appreciation. Can you PM me with your email?

My machine is running fantastically, except one issue. It doesn't wake from sleep. I am guessing that probably has something to do with my BIOS settings being wrong (I reset them a few times, and might not have the exact same settings you suggested. Maybe APCI?)

Also, I am still running my machine at stock stetting. I want to overclock it. Would it be possible for you to share or upload some pics of your BIOS settings. Or suggest someplace where I might find some overclocking guidance. That would be totally awesome. There are tons of places out there on the web talking about OC. But, it's hard to separate the chaff.

I might also add a suggestion for cooling. I have been running the Corsair H50 liquid cooler. It's awesome. Simple, quiet, and cool. I give it two thumbs up. Fry's had it on sale a couple weeks ago for $60. It gets great reviews and it's easy to install.

Thanks again!

Eric

I followed the instructions but it didn't help and I also have HD audio enabled in the bios have set front panel to hd audio. I'm going to order a sound card that will work and just use that instead

BOOYAH!

Thank you Kup! I really appreciate all your efforts putting this together. I spent MANY hours messing with other methods before finding this post. I was up until 4:00 am earlier this week trying to get this thing to boot OSX.

Your installation worked fantastically.

I did have a the audio issue, but that was fixed by your suggestion.

My kids were FREAKED out when they saw my screen yesterday. They were like "Hey, I thought you had a PC. THAT'S A MAC!" Yeah! Who's cool, now? Yeah... that's right. Dad is!

I am so thankful for your solution. I wish I could buy a 6 pack for you.

Seriously. I was on another site and I saw where some guy offered $75 if someone could help him get a Hackintosh working. I am not about to spend that kind of cash. But, I would love to send you an iTunes or Amazon gift card or something as a sign of my appreciation. Can you PM me with your email?

My machine is running fantastically, except one issue. It doesn't wake from sleep. I am guessing that probably has something to do with my BIOS settings being wrong (I reset them a few times, and might not have the exact same settings you suggested. Maybe APCI?)

Also, I am still running my machine at stock stetting. I want to overclock it. Would it be possible for you to share or upload some pics of your BIOS settings. Or suggest someplace where I might find some overclocking guidance. That would be totally awesome. There are tons of places out there on the web talking about OC. But, it's hard to separate the chaff.

I might also add a suggestion for cooling. I have been running the Corsair H50 liquid cooler. It's awesome. Simple, quiet, and cool. I give it two thumbs up. Fry's had it on sale a couple weeks ago for $60. It gets great reviews and it's easy to install.

Thanks again!

Eric

Hey Eric,

I'm really glad it worked for you. I appreciate your kind gesture but I couldn't possibly accept. The work here is for and by so many people I couldn't take sole credit. ;)

But thank you. :)

On the subject of overclocking, you could try XtremeSystems or my site, Redline-Redux.com, is full of friendly overclockers. :)

Hey Eric,

I'm really glad it worked for you. I appreciate your kind gesture but I couldn't possibly accept. The work here is for and by so many people I couldn't take sole credit. :D

But thank you. :D

Fine! You'll just have to take a virtual 6-pack and my sincere appreciation.

I made a donation to InsanelyMac. I needed to express my thanks to someone.

On the subject of overclocking, you could try XtremeSystems or my site, Redline-Redux.com, is full of friendly overclockers. :)
Thanks! I will check them out.

Really wanted to try and avoided posting a question but after trying different boot132's and reading all posts I am stuck!

I have P6X58D-E running Intel 930 all at stock

Tried several times with different Boot132's including the 'MARS' one attached to the first post in this thread however whenever I restart and boot from it, remove the cd and insert my snow leopard CD I get a 'EBIOS read error' and the screen that eventually follows does not allow me to select Snow Leopard instead it just looks like a fuzzy corrupt screen.

Any help appreciated :)

P.s If I am being an idiot and missed something amazingly obvious just say that and I'll look through the threads and search again! Nothing I hate more than people who can't read stuff for themselves so dont want to be a hypocrite!

Just to add it only generates the error once I hit f5 WITH my snow leopard CD in the drive.

Just to add this is a retail snow leopard CD is this where I am going wrong..

FAIL

I am an idiot... I didn't let it all load before I eject the CD

/FAIL

Just a remark!

"This should now be replacing your 10.6.0 AppleHDA.kext <- with the working one. Once completed close 'Kext Helper B7' and open 'Kext Utility' from your desktop."

-> After doing the combo/delta update (10.6.4/x) you'll be having the new vanilla version of the AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4/x). You basically change the same version of the kext, only the one replacing the original one (vanilla) is binary patched, so it can recognize the ALC889 chip, or is an older version vanilla/binary patched that previously worked and might work again.

Really wanted to try and avoided posting a question but after trying different boot132's and reading all posts I am stuck!

I have P6X58D-E running Intel 930 all at stock

Tried several times with different Boot132's including the 'MARS' one attached to the first post in this thread however whenever I restart and boot from it, remove the cd and insert my snow leopard CD I get a 'EBIOS read error' and the screen that eventually follows does not allow me to select Snow Leopard instead it just looks like a fuzzy corrupt screen.

Any help appreciated :)

P.s If I am being an idiot and missed something amazingly obvious just say that and I'll look through the threads and search again! Nothing I hate more than people who can't read stuff for themselves so dont want to be a hypocrite!

I am no expert. However, I have to ask, are you sure that you set your BIOS settings correctly?

What about the configuration of the hard drive and CD/DVD? Are you using the same SATA ports? Is this a new hard drive?

Just some thoughts.

I think Scott worked out the problem. He was ejecting/inserting the DVD too early and it can cause issues. I'm gunna add it to the guide as it'll be good to know to wait until the little blinky light has stopped. lol