ati mobility radeon 5650

lince5

107 posts in this topic

i think people tried that, the mobility cards use a different display port or something, so it wont work.

It doesn't work for *any* Mobility part in a notebook, and it won't work in HD54xx in desktop Hacks.

HD55xx *does* work in most cases (in fact, most desktop cards with this GPU are 1 GB and remain bus-powered), so it makes for a nice option for desktop Hackery if you want to stick with AMD. Same applies to HD56xx (the surprise bargain, at least at MicroCenter, is an XFX HD5670 in 1 GB GDDR5 PCIe trim for $79.99 + tax after rebate savings).

Heyyo,

Probably both.. if a displayport emulator is made... don't know of any in the makings right now. :(

The Kaybl's bootloader does dump the video bios but just for desktop graphic. It does not need dumping rom or installing special kexts from netkas, and you can boot in 64 bit with apple's kext unhacked. The next step is dumping vbios in notebooks. Or emulating an equivalent graphic supported, like ATI Radeon HD 5670 for desktop.

so there is no way a mobility 4xxx will boot? the reason im asking is that i dont care what my graphics looks like i just need audio

you can install OSX on a ati card, but it will be stuck with 1024x768

Heyyo,

Hi ,

I tried to update "RadeonHD" from dong with preeliminary support for HD5xxx

i dont know if this will work as i dont have my Ati laptop with me. to try

Please try this and let me know !!!!!!!

If it's the same RadeonHD kext from google code the one I tried didn't work.. so unless this is a new version that says it supports Mobility Radeon it's probably the same thing. Where did you get this from? Link?

hm don't see how, becose i can only boot in "safe boot" mode, when i try to boot normaly i get a graphical crash (artifacts across the whole screen)

Delete the atiframebuffer.kext atisupport.kext and any ati5000controller.kext or something like that.. essentially just delete any ati kexts and then use Kext Utility to rebuild your .mkext so it doesn't try and load a videocard that won't work with those files. :)

Did anybody try Kaybl's bootloader to see if it works?

It's meant for ATI 5xxx cards for desktop.

Maybe mobility series will work?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

i just try ..it wont work anyway ... LOL..

PCI Cards

ATI Radeon HD5650:

Name: ATY,Uakari

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-1

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68c1

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1025

Subsystem ID: 0x0358

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Graphics/Displays

ATI Radeon HD5650:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD5650

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Display Connector:

Kext that only load at system profiler

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

i cant make the AtiFramebuffer.kext / Ati5000Controller.kext to load! does you guy have Active AtiFramebuffer.kext / Ati5000Controller.kext let me know how you guys do it

• 3 weeks later...
Well, this is just wait to the next year, probably june... if there isn't any new ati release, of course.

There is an ati release, for desktop and notebook, the ati 6000. Sorry, but we will not have official kext support.

can someone explain the current situation of mobility radeon 5000 series drivers?

I have heard multiple times that we're waiting for apple to release a laptop that has an ATi mobility card, but lince5 seems to think that this will still not help us.

Is developing a kext even possible? What would that entail? What would the difficulties be?

can someone explain the current situation of mobility radeon 5000 series drivers?

I have heard multiple times that we're waiting for apple to release a laptop that has an ATi mobility card, but lince5 seems to think that this will still not help us.

Is developing a kext even possible? What would that entail? What would the difficulties be?

I explain you the situation:

Desktop users have Netkas’s kexts and Kabyl’s bootloader. Mobility users don’t have anything to make the cards work properly. There is a rumor about the next macbook pro release with ati cards. But there are newer cards for pc (ati 6xxx), and in mac os x 10.6.5 there are some parts of code for those newer mobility cards. So it’s very probable that this release will not affect us (well, apple could use ati 5xxx for cheapest macbook).

For writing the driver, you must consider:

- The connection between the card and the laptop screen is LVDS, not displayport like in desktop and macbooks cards.

- The mobility chips are included in desktop cards, but just for vga parts (no hardware acceleration). For example, the ati mobility 5470 has the same chip than ati 5470, and ati mobility 5650/5730 gets the same from ati 5670.

- I post here what another user said about the apple kext’s structure and why mobility cards are not recognized:

Hmm, I'll try to explain a bit better... there's a few kext's that are on Snow Leopard.

ATI5000Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

K.. so the main three that get you the proper screen resolution are the first three. ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext.. that will get the vidcard the proper software to get them going (ie, like Drivers in Windows).. BUT, since we are running hackintoshes we need to modify the kext's externally so that they work on our computers.. and we do that via special bootloaders (ie, chameleon) or kexts (ie netkas's aty_init.kext). BUT BUT! the next four are for the QE/CI. QE/CI is essentially hardware accelerated graphics, and games on mac are programmed with QE/CI technology, so if you don't have that stuff running the app/game will crash to desktop. The problem with the ati5000controller.kext is that it's not setup for laptops. It tries to display to displayport.. which laptops don't have, so the image is screwed. Usually it looks corrupt like a dead videocard.

This random picture from google images is essentially what I see:

http://mariosworld.org/assets/images/forum...ed_graphics.png

So.. unless netkas or someone else specifically makes a driver built to output to a laptop's LCD then we are screwed. Yes, I've tried the vga port, no go either. ^_^

Remember that ati could release soon their open source driver, so you can rewrite it into a snow leopard kext having in mind the original kext's structure for desktop ati 5xxx cards.

PD: I sent a message to Kabyl for helping us.

Heyyo,

Yeah.. the only way you can make a hackintosh with aty_init.kext and the ati500controller, support and framebuffer kexts is via remote controlling it (ie, Logmein). When I do that I go into the system profiler and yep, doesn't show any displays being detected. Didn't even show the remote controlling, lol, just showed the word "Display" and nothing under it.. hmm.. I should try it again and see if I can change screen resolutions... brb. :(

Heyyo,

Yeah.. the only way you can make a hackintosh with aty_init.kext and the ati500controller, support and framebuffer kexts is via remote controlling it (ie, Logmein). When I do that I go into the system profiler and yep, doesn't show any displays being detected. Didn't even show the remote controlling, lol, just showed the word "Display" and nothing under it.. hmm.. I should try it again and see if I can change screen resolutions... brb. :D

For framebuffer try with Redwood and Madison.

Heyyo,

For framebuffer try with Redwood and Madison.

I forgot to mention but I am using the aty_init.kext from this thread..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224063

Sadly no diff minus Redwood I got a white line on the left side of my LCD rest was black on my lappy and with Madison it didn't change from the verbal boot text.. system profiler shows this..

ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

I also tried using Kabyl's bootloader from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0.3 over at http://www.tonymacx86.com but also no luck since with just GraphicsEnabler=Yes it won't get past trying to get the VBIOS.. and GraphicsEnabler=Yes VBIOS=No it just flashes for a split second and then never even completes boot into SL. :P

Is there a way to do a vbios dump with an ATi Mobility Radeon 5650? thus far GPU-Z says not supported for my model.. and in Windows 7 64bit H.P. I get BSOD with ATi Tray Tool (even disabling UAC and enabling Test Mode), same with ATi Tool (latest) and RBE says error analyzing...

[EDIT1]

Oh, and I was able to change the resolution each way to..

800x600

1024x768

1280x1024

1680x1050

No widescreen resolutions minus the last one.. maybe due to logmein.. cause on my iPhone 3Gs (jailbroken btw lol gotta love hacking Apple stuff to make it better :P) it gives me the options right in the logmein app to change the rez to 1680x1050.

[EDIT2]

Interesting developpment! There's a bios update for my Gateway NV5909H lappy that only appears on Gateway Canada's website http://www.gateway.com/ca/downloads.php .. not Gateway usa.. anywho one of the changes listed is..

1. Updates the ATI VBIOS for Madison to BR35183.L08

2. Updates the ATI VBIOS for Park to BR35536.004

3. Updates Intel VBIOS to 1994 update.

Mine shows 35183 in it.. so my ATi Mobility Radeon 5650 is definitely Madison.. hope this helps some with anyone attempting stuff like me.. I wonder if I use this BIOS update as the ATiRom if that will work...

Oh, on a side-note? funny thing.. totally got this BIOS update from that link? but now my Boot logo before it loads into Chameleon has changed from Gateway to Packard Bell!! LOL!... so apparently this BIOS update for this type of mobo is the same ones in a certain PB model.. :P

Hey, thanks for testing. Could you try QE/CI?

No doubt, man. The main problem is the LVDS connection, and for getting it on any mac os version (snow leopard and newer, for example lion) it must be solved from the bootloader.

[EDIT1]

Oh, and I was able to change the resolution each way to..

800x600

1024x768

1280x1024

1680x1050

What did you do to get resolution change exactly, only use aty_init.kext from link and use Kabyl's bootloader from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0.3 (http://www.tonymacx86.com), or also a GraphicsEnabler and/or VBIOS command at startup?

Heyyo,

Hey, thanks for testing. Could you try QE/CI?

No doubt, man. The main problem is the LVDS connection, and for getting it on any mac os version (snow leopard and newer, for example lion) it must be solved from the bootloader.

Nah with AtiRadeonx3000.kext it would just Kernel Panic most of the time so I was mainly focus on getting the FrameBuffer going for screen resolutions but to no avail.. well, it was technically working just I didn't have my screen or any other minus remote controlling which is slow as all hell lol.

What did you do to get resolution change exactly, only use aty_init.kext from link and use Kabyl's bootloader from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.0.3 (http://www.tonymacx86.com), or also a GraphicsEnabler and/or VBIOS command at startup?

Sorry I think you mis-understood my post. I could change resolutions but only when using another computer or my iPhone to remote control it.. I didn't have an actual physically connected display working (no built-in LCD, HDMI or VGA). Essentially nothing worked. :)

Zomg I just had an epic idea.. I have a special USB to VGA dongle I used to use on my old PC that didn't have HDMI out and the VGA port was damaged by others (don't lend your {censored} out lol) so I used to use this dongle to hook to my TV.. wonder if it'll work still when I load the FrameBuffer kexts...