ati mobility radeon 5650

lince5

107 posts in this topic

Heyyo,

Nah with AtiRadeonx3000.kext it would just Kernel Panic most of the time so I was mainly focus on getting the FrameBuffer going for screen resolutions but to no avail.. well, it was technically working just I didn't have my screen or any other minus remote controlling which is slow as all hell lol.

Sorry I think you mis-understood my post. I could change resolutions but only when using another computer or my iPhone to remote control it.. I didn't have an actual physically connected display working (no built-in LCD, HDMI or VGA). Essentially nothing worked. :lol:

Zomg I just had an epic idea.. I have a special USB to VGA dongle I used to use on my old PC that didn't have HDMI out and the VGA port was damaged by others (don't lend your {censored} out lol) so I used to use this dongle to hook to my TV.. wonder if it'll work still when I load the FrameBuffer kexts...

I read in internet that in my laptop the vbios is included in the main bios, and in the image from official website, so i suspect that probably this is for any laptop/notebook. But i cannot read my bios image content with phoenix bios editor 2.2 because it is a phoenix new style bios. Does someone know how to read this kind of bios?

And for the ati mobility 5470 the framebuffer is Park. You can know the framebuffer of any card with the lastest version of GPU-Z, in "GPU" value.

Heyyo,

I read in internet that in my laptop the vbios is included in the main bios, and in the image from official website, so i suspect that probably this is for any laptop/notebook. But i cannot read my bios image content with phoenix bios editor 2.2 because it is a phoenix new style bios. Does someone know how to read this kind of bios?

And for the ati mobility 5470 the framebuffer is Park. You can know the framebuffer of any card with the lastest version of GPU-Z, in "GPU" value.

Yeah I figured that much now.. but sadly I don't think Kabyl's or Mohamed Khairy's bootloaders are setup to read the VBIOS within the bios file.. and I have no idea how to modify it or extract the VBIOS... so I'm screwed, lol. :P

I didn't know GPU-Z did that... then again I didn't bother much with it once I couldn't extract my VBIOS that way. :P

Just an update.. can't find a VGA cable right now so I can't test the theory that USB to VGA adapter would work... also? Updating to 10.6.6 didn't help any although the ATi driver seems different than the one in 10.6.5 cause the version number changed on ati5000controller.kext. Also tried it with both Kabyl's and Mohamed Khairy's bootloaders and still no framebuffer, same goes for aty_init.kext. So unless there's a good way to extract a VBIOS from a BIOS file? I am sure we are screwed for the LVDS problem.. dammit I wish there was a good nVidia gpu powered lappy when I was in the market for one cause I have regrets now. :D

Heyyo,

Yeah I figured that much now.. but sadly I don't think Kabyl's or Mohamed Khairy's bootloaders are setup to read the VBIOS within the bios file.. and I have no idea how to modify it or extract the VBIOS... so I'm screwed, lol. ;)

I didn't know GPU-Z did that... then again I didn't bother much with it once I couldn't extract my VBIOS that way. :D

Just an update.. can't find a VGA cable right now so I can't test the theory that USB to VGA adapter would work... also? Updating to 10.6.6 didn't help any although the ATi driver seems different than the one in 10.6.5 cause the version number changed on ati5000controller.kext. Also tried it with both Kabyl's and Mohamed Khairy's bootloaders and still no framebuffer, same goes for aty_init.kext. So unless there's a good way to extract a VBIOS from a BIOS file? I am sure we are screwed for the LVDS problem.. dammit I wish there was a good nVidia gpu powered lappy when I was in the market for one cause I have regrets now. ;)

The framebuffer doesn't work because netkas adapted the beta kext for ati 5xxx desktop and get working ati 5770, 58xx and 59xx with qe/ci. But original kext from apple must be installed if you are working with a vbios dump and kabyl's bootloader. So you must reinstall netkas's kext. If it doesn't work properly, reinstall mac os x to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 and install the mentioned kext.

I'm working in mobility vbios dump. Please, don't desesperate. This can take a long time. THink that windows 7 isn't bad OS, but for me Mac is near perfect.

Heyyo,

Well yeah it's a graphics card injector.. if there was a way to force LVDS output there could have been a potential chance of it working but doesn't look like it.. cause at least with the aty_init.kext I got some lines on my screen cause without graphicsenabler=yes and aty_init.kext I got jack on my LCD.

I'm not even sure if you somehow manage to extract the mobility VBIOS from a bios file that it would actually get it working.

Agreed that Windows 7 is not perfect, but I'd say it's the best offering from Microsoft to date. Interface works damn well (hate working on XP machines without the searchbar in the start menu and both XP and Vista without the good taskbar now rofl), preformance works great in both 32bit and 64bit games (on my ol' macbook pro late 2008 CSS ran way better bootcamp than OSX, same goes for even stuff like Quake Live). Windows 7 has the popularity and the full gaming capabilities, but OSX does have better stability over time and that's definitely even with the basics like a better filesystem to start.. as for viruses and stuff though? the main thing is guys who code viruses do it for win32 cause that's the majority of PC's.. I'm sure in an alternate universe if OSX was more popular Windows 7 would be the more virus-free of the two. It just makes sense a virus coder would aim for the bigger audience to ensure the biggest infection-rate among computers.

... Anywho I better leave it at that otherwise I could rant-on about operating systems, popularity and such... but yeah, I'd still like to have hardware acceleration on my OSX Hackintosh for the ATi Mobility Radeon 5650 but right now it looks like I'm hooped unless the VBIOS theory actually works.. and I hope it does tbh cause it doesn't seem like anyone's trying anything unless a future generation of macbooks use ATi Mobility.. but even then, they could also be displayport and not LVDS and we could still be screwed... I'm pretty sure next lappy I buy will be nVidia unless I know the Mobility in my future lappy works with Hackintosh or the LCD is displayport. :wub:

... Anywho I better leave it at that otherwise I could rant-on about operating systems, popularity and such... but yeah, I'd still like to have hardware acceleration on my OSX Hackintosh for the ATi Mobility Radeon 5650 but right now it looks like I'm hooped unless the VBIOS theory actually works.. and I hope it does tbh cause it doesn't seem like anyone's trying anything unless a future generation of macbooks use ATi Mobility.. but even then, they could also be displayport and not LVDS and we could still be screwed... I'm pretty sure next lappy I buy will be nVidia unless I know the Mobility in my future lappy works with Hackintosh or the LCD is displayport. :)

Yeah, if not LVDS, no screen in our laptops.

I think i extracted my vbios file. Can you upload your bios (it must be the exact model and version you have NOW)? Don't write for my vbios dump, because it will not work in your laptop. I'll give you your vbios file.

Heyyo,

Sounds good man! Here is my BIOS attached.. btw did your VBIOS file work on your laptop?

My laptop is being repared, so i didn't and can't test it. I had a small problem, i think i didn't extract it correctly. But this must be solved soon. Is your bios phoenix or similar?

@lince5

So you've edited your BIOS and flashed it and now your Mobility Radeon videocard works with OSX??

No, i didn't edit and flash my bios. I'm just trying to extract the ati vbios from the main bios image from acer website. And i don't if it works. I wrote that my laptop is being repared. Please, read before replying.

No, i didn't edit and flash my bios. I'm just trying to extract the ati vbios from the main bios image from acer website. And i don't if it works. I wrote that my laptop is being repared. Please, read before replying.

Sorry, I was just wondering what it is you're trying to do exactly and what your progress is (I read that your laptop was being repaired before posting, I was just taking a guess at your progress and obviously I don't know anything about what it is that an extracted VBIOS could do to get the mobility Radeon to work on OSX).

So, yeah, never mind.

The_MarD, use also this program for extracting your vbios directly. I tested it in another laptop like mine (same specs, same graphic card) but the file it dumps is a bit different than the one from main bios image. For using it, launch the program, click on "Acquire/flash" button and then, in the pop-up window click on "Alternative BIOS dump" or something like. You must save the bios clicking on "Save", in the main window. I need this file and the folder "DUMP" I mentioned above.

RBE_127.exe

• 3 weeks later...

Heyyo,

Sorry for the late reply lince5 I've been busy with work.. the oilfield never sleeps until summer it goes pretty dead during breakup lol. Anywho? I tried RBE in your attachment there and like the one I downloaded I can't do the aquire alternate bios and the normal aquire bios gives me an error saying not an ATi bios... Is there some kind of secret to the alternate bios extraction I'm missing?

Heyyo,

Sorry for the late reply lince5 I've been busy with work.. the oilfield never sleeps until summer it goes pretty dead during breakup lol. Anywho? I tried RBE in your attachment there and like the one I downloaded I can't do the aquire alternate bios and the normal aquire bios gives me an error saying not an ATi bios... Is there some kind of secret to the alternate bios extraction I'm missing?

Time and work doesn't matter. We haven't got any time limit. :P

Cannot you extract it? Well, I post an instructional video.

VBIOS_dump.avi.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Heyyo,

Hmm no luck here.. still just hangs on "Ati card POSTed, reading VBIOS from Legacy Space" and then goes black.. still a damn problem with that VBIOS

Gateway NV5909H

ATi Radeon Mobility 5650

Gonna post in that thread too. :)

@Lice5: K I installed Windows XP on my lappy and now it lets me do the alternate bios load.. odd Win 7 x64 didn't lol.

1002_68c1_033d1025.zip

Edited by ThE_MarD

Heyyo,

Hmm no luck here.. still just hangs on "Ati card POSTed, reading VBIOS from Legacy Space" and then goes black.. still a damn problem with that VBIOS

Gateway NV5909H

ATi Radeon Mobility 5650

Gonna post in that thread too. :)

@Lice5: K I installed Windows XP on my lappy and now it lets me do the alternate bios load.. odd Win 7 x64 didn't lol.

Oops! ;) All windows x64 based systems has many limitations for this kind for allowing low level access (like Radeon Bios Editor).

Heyyo,

Oops! :( All windows x64 based systems has many limitations for this kind for allowing low level access (like Radeon Bios Editor).

Lol well at least I got the bios eventually extracted. :( Just let me know when you got a file for me to test I'm pretty eager now if this will work with that updated bootloader.

So no way to enable full resolution with ours ati Mobility ? i Have the HD 5730....

There should be if this VBIOS ROM file with the updated Chameleon bootloader linked a few posts above these together work! Essentially if it does? you'd use the two I just mentioned with ati5000controller.kext, atisupport.kext and atiframebuffer.kext. The rest is only needed to enable QE/CI for hardware accelerated graphics.

Heyyo,

Lol well at least I got the bios eventually extracted. ;) Just let me know when you got a file for me to test I'm pretty eager now if this will work with that updated bootloader.

That VBIOS dump is what you need for using kabyl's bootloader, so i mustn't give you any file, just read the kabyl's instructions and use the framebuffer "Nomascus" (according to RTA's link), "Madison" won't work for the screens.

EDIT: You must also use the parameter in boot.plist "UseATIRom=Yes". Remember, the rom image name must be "(vendorid)_(deviceid)_(subsysid).rom" and must be located in the folder "Extra" of the main partition (where the bootloader is installed).

As I predicted, the apple's ati mobility release for their macbooks doesn't affect us, because they released ati mobility 6xxx (6450 and 6750 exactly)

U r wrong. Check out the Device match list in the kext.

0x68981002   ------------   5870
0x68991002   ------------   5850
0x68E01002   ------------   5470m
0x68E11002   ------------   5430m
0x68D81002   ------------   5690 or 5730 or 5670
0x68C01002   ------------   5730m
0x68C11002   ------------   5650m
0x68D91002   ------------   5570 5630
0x68B81002   ------------   5770
0x68B01002   ------------   unknown
0x68B11002   ------------   unknown
0x68A01002   ------------   5800m
0x68A11002    ------------  5800

U r wrong. Check out the Device match list in the kext.

0x68981002   ------------   5870
0x68991002   ------------   5850
0x68E01002   ------------   5470m
0x68E11002   ------------   5430m
0x68D81002   ------------   5690 or 5730 or 5670
0x68C01002   ------------   5730m
0x68C11002   ------------   5650m
0x68D91002   ------------   5570 5630
0x68B81002   ------------   5770
0x68B01002   ------------   unknown
0x68B11002   ------------   unknown
0x68A01002   ------------   5800m
0x68A11002    ------------  5800

Hi installed the 10.7 5000 driver on n61jq mobility 5730 the driver is full doesn't have any problem

because i have graphic support for external displays see the in the connector area

there is 3 connector one vga one display port one HDMI these connectors work

but my laptop screen doesn't work because it connected to graphic card by LVDS connector and

apple doesn't support this connector we should edit or dsdt or this driver to make mac os x recognize

this connector to have laptop screen . apple use display port to connect laptop screen to graphic

card so if your screen connected from this way you have laptop screen some acer model are same

as the apple laptops here

Hi installed the 10.7 5000 driver on n61jq mobility 5730 the driver is full doesn't have any problem

because i have graphic support for external displays see the in the connector area

there is 3 connector one vga one display port one HDMI these connectors work

but my laptop screen doesn't work because it connected to graphic card by LVDS connector and

apple doesn't support this connector we should edit or dsdt or this driver to make mac os x recognize

this connector to have laptop screen . apple use display port to connect laptop screen to graphic

card so if your screen connected from this way you have laptop screen some acer model are same

as the apple laptops here

DSDT is one way, but we need real macs's. There is a solution however does not seem to apply everyone. Use Kably's bootloader, and load the FB by parameter, I do not know which one is for 5730, but u can try them out

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Nomascus</string>