ati mobility radeon 5650

lince5

107 posts in this topic

But he hacked the kexts before apple used ati 5xxx series desktop. If we send dumps, he can consider hack for mobility, too

PD: What is LVDS?

That is the internal connection that our displays use, it's an old school way of hooking up LCD panels in laptops. Apple laptops are now all display port, and so are the Apple 5xxx drivers. As far as I know there's almost 0 chance of there being a viable apple driver for our laptops due to this. Sorry, it sucks, I know.

That is the internal connection that our displays use, it's an old school way of hooking up LCD panels in laptops. Apple laptops are now all display port, and so are the Apple 5xxx drivers. As far as I know there's almost 0 chance of there being a viable apple driver for our laptops due to this. Sorry, it sucks, I know.

I thought 2008's and 2009's macbooks had only displayport, and 4xxx mobility were hacked. There is a way, if netkas include in his bootloader a displayport emulator.

I don't know why apple didn't install ati 5xxx in their macbooks, they have less power consumption and they are faster (and this post would not exist).

You are right, IT SUCKS A LOT!!! :)

And I haven't sound and ethernet... :D

did anybody test it with 5650? and on this page a lot of .zip file are available, which one should i download and install?

in the end of the topic, it is said that this kext isn't working with ati 5xxx cards  :):wacko:

I tried the latest 10.6.x kext on my laptop with ATI Radeon 5650 mobility and it does NOT work.

[edit]Uhh yeah, I totally overlooked page 2 on this thread (so I missed that was posted already)[/edit]

How can I include an ati graphic board in DSDT? I want to make DSDT, but I need some beta testers (check if it runs and if the graphic is recognized with netkas' kext ;) ). Just for acer aspire 5740g with ati 5650, alc272 (realtek hd) broadcom gigabit ethernet 57780 and i5-430m.

How can I include an ati graphic board in DSDT? I want to make DSDT, but I need some beta testers (check if it runs and if the graphic is recognized with netkas' kext :D ). Just for acer aspire 5740g with ati 5650, alc272 (realtek hd) broadcom gigabit ethernet 57780 and i5-430m.

Look, good luck -really, I made many a DSDT in my time and they are a PITA. However, when you get it right it's brilliant - my Dell 620 dsdt gave me a full vanilla install with everything working 100%. But, I doubt you will get around the fact that the ATI 5xxx drivers included in OSX are for a wrong type of display architecture, before you patch the DSDT you will need to find a way to make them work with old fashioned LVDS displays.

Perhaps there's a way to make them work properly with our external HDMI/VGA displays and just give up on the internal display, that seems doable...

Best of luck.

Look, good luck -really, I made many a DSDT in my time and they are a PITA. However, when you get it right it's brilliant - my Dell 620 dsdt gave me a full vanilla install with everything working 100%. But, I doubt you will get around the fact that the ATI 5xxx drivers included in OSX are for a wrong type of display architecture, before you patch the DSDT you will need to find a way to make them work with old fashioned LVDS displays.

Perhaps there's a way to make them work properly with our external HDMI/VGA displays and just give up on the internal display, that seems doable...

Best of luck.

Thanks, but did you get a DSDT with ati hd series and including it? how did you do?

• 2 weeks later...

I really need this driver too =\

Is there maybe a guide on how you could make the driver some how? Well anyways, these are the specs of the ATI Mobility Radeon 5650:

Primary Adapter

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI

Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

Device ID 68C1

Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 144B

Subsystem Vendor ID 103C

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0

Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.019.000.013

BIOS Part Number BR37005.001

BIOS Date 2010/03/28

Memory Size 1024 MB

Memory Type DDR3

Core Clock in MHz 550 MHz

Memory Clock in MHz 800 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 25.6 GByte/s

mobility radeon series isn't supported at all :P There are plenty of topics about mobility series! No QE/CI right now! The only hope is Apple. If Apple write kext, we will get it :) No Radeons in Macbooks, no kexts for us. Simply

And ati mobility 4xxx? they are supported in hackintosh, but apple didn't make kexts for this.

Heyyo,

And ati mobility 4xxx? they are supported in hackintosh, but apple didn't make kexts for this.

There is ati mobility 5xxx device ID's noted in the ati5000controller.kext.. BUT, new apple macbook's use display port for the monitor, not the current methods that our laptops support.. so essentially someone needs to code a driver that converts display port to our style of LCD.. apple won't be doing this since I doubt they'll ever throw an ati mobility 4xxx in a new-age macbook. :P

Heyyo,

There is ati mobility 5xxx device ID's noted in the ati5000controller.kext.. BUT, new apple macbook's use display port for the monitor, not the current methods that our laptops support.. so essentially someone needs to code a driver that converts display port to our style of LCD.. apple won't be doing this since I doubt they'll ever throw an ati mobility 4xxx in a new-age macbook. :)

What's the ati5000controller.kext? I'm assuming that's in my library (I'm on my Windows 7 OS). So what about just making the resolution correct? It's the who QE/CI thing right? That's the reason we can't even get the correct resolution. What are the supported ATI mobility Cards right now? Maybe I could develop one if I could see the driver that's closest to 5xxx.

Heyyo,

What's the ati5000controller.kext? I'm assuming that's in my library (I'm on my Windows 7 OS). So what about just making the resolution correct? It's the who QE/CI thing right? That's the reason we can't even get the correct resolution. What are the supported ATI mobility Cards right now? Maybe I could develop one if I could see the driver that's closest to 5xxx.

Hmm, I'll try to explain a bit better... there's a few kext's that are on Snow Leopard.

ATI5000Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

K.. so the main three that get you the proper screen resolution are the first three. ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext.. that will get the vidcard the proper software to get them going (ie, like Drivers in Windows).. BUT, since we are running hackintoshes we need to modify the kext's externally so that they work on our computers.. and we do that via special bootloaders (ie, chameleon) or kexts (ie netkas's aty_init.kext). BUT BUT! the next four are for the QE/CI. QE/CI is essentially hardware accelerated graphics, and games on mac are programmed with QE/CI technology, so if you don't have that stuff running the app/game will crash to desktop. The problem with the ati5000controller.kext is that it's not setup for laptops. It tries to display to displayport.. which laptops don't have, so the image is screwed. Usually it looks corrupt like a dead videocard.

This random picture from google images is essentially what I see:

http://mariosworld.org/assets/images/forum...ed_graphics.png

So.. unless netkas or someone else specifically makes a driver built to output to a laptop's LCD then we are screwed. Yes, I've tried the vga port, no go either. :(

• 5 weeks later...
Heyyo,

There is ati mobility 5xxx device ID's noted in the ati5000controller.kext.. BUT, new apple macbook's use display port for the monitor, not the current methods that our laptops support.. so essentially someone needs to code a driver that converts display port to our style of LCD.. apple won't be doing this since I doubt they'll ever throw an ati mobility 4xxx in a new-age macbook. :)

Also, AMD also uses Mobility GPUs on *desktop cards* (the HD5450 and HD5470 are Mobility GPUs in desktop clothing), which is something they have done before (the botom-end HD4350 and HD3450 are the same thing), so this is not just a laptop/notebook issue.

Heyyo,

Hmm, I'll try to explain a bit better... there's a few kext's that are on Snow Leopard.

ATI5000Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

ATIRadeonX3000.kext

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

K.. so the main three that get you the proper screen resolution are the first three. ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext.. that will get the vidcard the proper software to get them going (ie, like Drivers in Windows).. BUT, since we are running hackintoshes we need to modify the kext's externally so that they work on our computers.. and we do that via special bootloaders (ie, chameleon) or kexts (ie netkas's aty_init.kext). BUT BUT! the next four are for the QE/CI. QE/CI is essentially hardware accelerated graphics, and games on mac are programmed with QE/CI technology, so if you don't have that stuff running the app/game will crash to desktop. The problem with the ati5000controller.kext is that it's not setup for laptops. It tries to display to displayport.. which laptops don't have, so the image is screwed. Usually it looks corrupt like a dead videocard.

This random picture from google images is essentially what I see:

http://mariosworld.org/assets/images/forum...ed_graphics.png

So.. unless netkas or someone else specifically makes a driver built to output to a laptop's LCD then we are screwed. Yes, I've tried the vga port, no go either. :P

The other issue is that Apple does *not* permit nVidia to do what AMD has been known to do (use mobile GPUs in desktop products), which is why the nVidia mobile chips work (but AMD's Mobility chips don't; AMD has released some of the last three series of Mobility parts as both mobile *and* desktop parts, which is likely one reason why Apple has PNG'd AMD). The Mobility parts work *without* hardware acceleration (via VGA) and at a lower resolution (via DVI or HDMI) however, because they use nonstandard BIOSes and nonstandard (according to Apple) connections, it is a VERY hard row to hoe to get CI/QE out of them (and it may well make more sense to move to a *supported* GPU from AMD or nVidia instead as opposed to beating a dead horse).

It's very frustrating (especially since these same bottom-end Mobility parts make for excellent HTPC usage (and even light gaming) in other OSes; however, that is the key (other operating systems). You can do a lot of things with OS X; however, in some cases, it is simply better to not tilt at the GPU Windmill. It's no fun for me, either (I have an HD5450 in PCIe and it is fantastic in Windows and in darn near any Linux distribution; the issue with Linux is primarily older distributions); however, supported GPUs for Hacks are no longer on the far side of Ben Franklin (some actually cost less than $100USD brick-and-mortar, including tax). Some are even from AMD (though admittedly most are nVidia; an example is the Palit 1 GB GTS250 in PCIe that MicroCenter is fire-saling for $99.99USD).

Heyyo,

No doubt man.. next lappy I'm getting will be nVidia. The 5650 mobility is a great card for the price I paid for this lappy, but I want QE/CI.. so I might try and swap my lappy for one with a nVidia gtx260m... that would rock since I've seen a few threads where it works fine.

I speculate making a kext for it is not too hard. The iMacs are advertised as having desktop GPU's, but the 5670 is actually a Mobility 5730, and 5750 a Mobility 5850. The Mobility 5730 is the same as a Mobility 5650 but with higher core speed. If I could get the performance / price of a Envy 14 with OS X, that would be amazing.

Sources: 1 / 2 / 3

I would REALLY like to get something working for the 5650. This is the only thing holding my Envy 14 back from upgrading to 10.6.4 and running properly!

:(

Would be willing to donate to the cause!

+1

When you type 'upgrading to 10.6.4', you mean you are already on an OSX version where you have resolution change working with the 5650?

+1

When you type 'upgrading to 10.6.4', you mean you are already on an OSX version where you have resolution change working with the 5650?

No, but at least I can get 10.6.3 to BOOT... Once upgraded to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5, the system won't even boot into OS X. Sticking with Win 7 until we can get some graphics love.

No, but at least I can get 10.6.3 to BOOT... Once upgraded to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5, the system won't even boot into OS X. Sticking with Win 7 until we can get some graphics love.

same here, I love OSX, but can't deal with 1024x768 and no QE