[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

for which machine would you like to know?

my acer atom a0a150? (intel GMA)

or my dv7 3180us machine (i7- nvidia 230m)?

I was talking about the Acer because that's the one you have the brightness working on.

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Thanks for all the guides (very informative and descriptive). However, I do have some issues:

a. I followed your 1.10 of the guide religiously and I'm stuck on the page 8 on the Part 3 of the guide. I followed, double checked line by line in installing Chameleon onto the Chameleon partition and after restart (removing the Mammoth 1.10 boot cd), I'm seeing a blinking cursor and nothing is happening. Then, what I did is to boot thru the CD again and then SL was able to boot from the HDD. I quickly checked up what's in the Chameleon partition on the HDD and found that it is just having a folder named "Extra". Inside "Extra",  there are lot of files which I presume are Chameleon boot files. Do I have to move these files to the root of the Chameleon partition deleting the "Extra" folder? This step is not found in your guide or I'm missing something.

Hello MacMan50,

I think you may be missing something. I have gone through the installation a few times following the guide step-by-step to make sure it all works, plus others have been successful too.

The steps I put in the guide are VERY comprehensive, so you don't have to do anything that's not in the guides, such as moving folders / files an deleting them (unless specifically told to do so).

The Chameleon installation starts on page 4 of guide 3, and if you follow it precisely, it will work (unless there is some additional problem). Before you began the installation, did you do a complete Erase on the entire drive? If not, I would try that.

To reinstall Chameleon, use Disk Utility to Erase JUST the Cham partition, and then start over on Page 4, Guide 3 and re-do the "INSTALLING CHAMELEON" steps. It SHOULD work.

Mammoth

@MacMan50

b. Fan seems to be always running. I turned off "Fan always on" in the BIOS (F.24) and I don't think it has any effect. I'm not running anything.

I'm not sure about this, I will have to check into it. This is probably where a DSDT modification is needed to correct (or maybe a kext).

c. It seems to be slightly high on the warm side.

Same as above.

d. How long does the battery last on a full charge?

Not long at all! I haven't timed it, but I was using it on battery a few days ago and it really sucked... but I will be using it as a "portable computer", almost always having power, so it's not an issue for me.

e. Not that bright. I know you're working on enabling the Fn keys which will enable brightness. Btw, I changed the color profile to go with "Generic RGB" and removed the pinkish look. Can I also run the Calibration tool to see if I can do something there with colors? The reason why I'm saying is the other day I checked up the new MacBook Pro and it looks gorgeous. The display is very bright and rich in colors. Wonder, if we can achieve the same thing on our dv8t by doing color calibration built into SL or get a third party tool to do it for us.

We should be able to gain greater control of the display, and I think in time we will. Yes, you can run the calibration.

f. While I'm writing this, I was still thinking of getting the dv7t-3180us which has LED display. :)

It has been confirmed (as you know) that the guide will work on that machine, so that's doable. For me, I need the large, full HD screen only the DV8t offers.

g. Any news on the true vanilla kernel w/ 64 bit?

Yes, a lot of progress is being made on this, and I expect we will have a solution soon, but others are working on that, not me, so we will have to watch and wait.

Mammoth 

Hi Mammoth,

Atlast!! I got it. I was able to resolve the Chameleon boot issues and I also have one excellent news for you (more on that later**).

Firstly, when booting SL 10.6.4 from HDD, it shows me some APIC errors, NullPowerManagement errors, Firewire - defaulting to full securee etc...Are these all showing up because of the patched kernel and not using the vanilla kernel?. During shutdown/restart too, I see some text written to the screen.

Kernel panic happened when SL was idle as I didn't follow directions on the 3rd part - 3rd page (not disabling computer sleep and display sleep)

After this kernel panic, I coulnd't get back to SL after a reboot. I saw the Chameleon boot loader and pressing ENTER did nothing. Luckily, I have backed up the entire HDD (all the partitions) using Clonezilla and was able to restore absolutely fine. So, this is the excellent news :). Clonezilla can backup the entire HDD (all partitions - it supports NTFS, HFS+ etc), so, you can get everything back including the EFI and Chameleon boot partition with no single issue. Also, another luck is I got my new dv8t-1200 with dual HDDs and was able to backup to the second HDD with no problems. So, the solution is to use Clonezilla which is free too!!!

Btw, I have attached some screenshots and my explanations are there for each:

1. Desktop status bar.jpg

The Desktop status bar.jpg is what is getting displayed when I click on the icon on the upper status bar. Don't know what it is.

2. About this Mac.jpg

This displays some incorrect information:

Processor info is wrong.

Memory should be 1033 Mhz DDR3 SDRAM.

3. Hardware Overview.jpg

In the Hardware Overview.jpg, Model Identifier says 6.1. Isn't 6.2? The other day I checked up Apple Store and found that the new Macbook Pro model (Core i7) says 6.2 and also it corrrectly identifies the Processor as Core i7. The Processor Speed says 3Ghz. Is this right? Don't know if the Bus speed is correct. Maybe, the BootROM version will change if we go with 6.2 I think. I always wonder whether it is a cosmetic issue that we can fix easily or we are unfortunate to live with what SL 10.6.4 identifies with our hardware specs.

4. Bluetooth.jpg

I'm surprised to see this info about Bluetooth. I don't know how to check if it is working.

5. Power On Self Test.jpg

The Power On Self Test says "it is failing". Is this cause for concern? I only have 4GB RAM on one of the DIMM slot.

Also, the left side of the USB is not working after doing a restart. The right side USB is working fine though (all the time). Also, I really need the Brightness option in the Display under System Preferences. :)

Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

post-607801-1278106995_thumb.jpg

post-607801-1278107056_thumb.jpg

post-607801-1278107110_thumb.jpg

post-607801-1278107190_thumb.jpg

post-607801-1278107238_thumb.jpg

Hi Mammoth,

Atlast!! I got it. I was able to resolve the Chameleon boot issues and I also have one excellent news for you (more on that later**).

Firstly, when booting SL 10.6.4 from HDD, it shows me some APIC errors, NullPowerManagement errors, Firewire - defaulting to full securee etc...Are these all showing up because of the patched kernel and not using the vanilla kernel?. During shutdown/restart too, I see some text written to the screen.

Kernel panic happened when SL was idle as I didn't follow directions on the 3rd part - 3rd page (not disabling computer sleep and display sleep)

After this kernel panic, I coulnd't get back to SL after a reboot. I saw the Chameleon boot loader and pressing ENTER did nothing. Luckily, I have backed up the entire HDD (all the partitions) using Clonezilla and was able to restore absolutely fine. So, this is the excellent news :). Clonezilla can backup the entire HDD (all partitions - it supports NTFS, HFS+ etc), so, you can get everything back including the EFI and Chameleon boot partition with no single issue. Also, another luck is I got my new dv8t-1200 with dual HDDs and was able to backup to the second HDD with no problems. So, the solution is to use Clonezilla which is free too!!!

The Desktop status bar.jpg is what is getting displayed when I click on the icon on the upper status bar. Don't know what it is.

2. About this Mac.jpg

Processor info is wrong.

3. Hardware Overview.jpg

In the Hardware Overview.jpg, Model Identifier says 6.1. Isn't 6.2? The other day I checked up Apple Store and found that the new Macbook Pro model (Core i7) says 6.2 and also it corrrectly identifies the Processor as Core i7. The Processor Speed says 3Ghz. Is this right? Don't know if the Bus speed is correct. Maybe, the BootROM version will change if we go with 6.2 I think. I always wonder whether it is a cosmetic issue that we can fix easily or we are unfortunate to live with what SL 10.6.4 identifies with our hardware specs.

4. Bluetooth.jpg

I'm surprised to see this info about Bluetooth. I don't know how to check if it is working.

The Power On Self Test says "it is failing". Is this cause for concern? I only have 4GB RAM on one of the DIMM slot.

Also, the left side of the USB is not working after doing a restart. The right side USB is working fine though (all the time). Also, I really need the Brightness option in the Display under System Preferences. :)

Thanks.

Hey man, i am in the exact same situation.

1) no brightness

2) my ram diagnostic in the mac says failed just like yours

3) i can't even extract the DSDT correctly and recompile it without hundreds of errors.

and if i do fix them, KP when trying.

How are you guys fixing and actually getting the DSDT.aml to work fine?

I would think that an extract then compilation without any edit would work, but it doesn't.

Something is flawed somewhere.

1) no brightness

3) i can't even extract the DSDT correctly and recompile it without hundreds of errors.

I would think that an extract then compilation without any edit would work, but it doesn't.

Hi kellis,

Thanks for your reply. While I'm waiting for Mammoth's expert solutions to my issues (your issues too), I thought I can ask on how the following works for you:

1. power/battery/sleep (even with LID). Mammoth has recommended in his guides to set the Energy Saver settings "Never" both for Power and battery while he may be working on a fix.

2. Fan always running and also machine running slightly higher on the warm side.

3. SD reader

4. Audio including both speakers and internal dual mics

5. Brightness control (need it the most) :D

6. resolution switching - When I switch to any resolution other than the 1920x1080, I get KP.

Also, USB is acting weird. After a restart, SL forgets it and I have to remove it and reinsert it. This is an issue on all USB ports. I also tried VoodooHDA.kext for audio and SD reader kexts and both give KP after few seconds. After this happens, I have to restore the cloned image as SL doesn't boot at all.

Do you have working kexts for the ones mentioned above to work? Please let me know. I wanted to try them as I have already backed up a working install using Clonezilla.

Thanks.

Hi kellis,

Thanks for your reply. While I'm waiting for Mammoth's expert solutions to my issues (your issues too), I thought I can ask on how the following works for you:

1. power/battery/sleep (even with LID). Mammoth has recommended in his guides to set the Energy Saver settings "Never" both for Power and battery while he may be working on a fix.

2. Fan always running and also machine running slightly higher on the warm side.

3. SD reader

5. Brightness control (need it the most) :D

6. resolution switching - When I switch to any resolution other than the 1920x1080, I get KP.

Also, USB is acting weird. After a restart, SL forgets it and I have to remove it and reinsert it. This is an issue on all USB ports. I also tried VoodooHDA.kext for audio and SD reader kexts and both give KP after few seconds. After this happens, I have to restore the cloned image as SL doesn't boot at all.

Do you have working kexts for the ones mentioned above to work? Please let me know. I wanted to try them as I have already backed up a working install using Clonezilla.

Thanks.

Hi, actually, mine doesn't have that many issues.

The power is handled well, as well as cpu fan etc.

Note that i do not use any DSDT.aml files. Only kexts.

Here's my list of all my kexts in my /E/E

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

JMicron36xSATA.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

EvOreboot.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

fakesmc.kext

JMicron36xATA.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Note that i run in 32bit.

In my /S/L/E i added these:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 21:39 IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 20:50 VoodooHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 136 Jun 27 20:37 IOPCIFamily.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 20:34 AppleHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 9 03:10 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 14 05:37 VoodooBattery.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 9 15:34 VoodooSDHC.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 3 2009 RealtekR1000SL.kext

Now as far as the nvdia, do you have the 230m?

in my case, i didn't have to do anything other than add graphics enabler in chameleon. (i use rc4 btw).

i can switch resolution without any issues or crash.

Hope this helps.

I tried to get the latest kext for the above files. (from insanelymac, or kexts.com)

Let me know how that goes.

Mammoth:

I'm eagerly waiting for your input.

Also, while you're working on the issues I have mentioned

I was able to get a custom calibrated icc file which

looks gorgeous on the display. Had we have the

brightness option, it will definitely rival the new

mac book pros. I will upload it shortly.

Thanks again. Without your help and your guides, I will

be nowhere near to SL on dv8t.

Thanks.

Update: (icc profiles)

Color_LCD_Perfect.zip has a icc file which I personally didn't like it.

SuperCal-1-1.zip is excellent and seems to be having a perfect color balance although slightly dimmer. This can be overcome once we have the Brightness issue resolved.

Another Update:

It seems Bluetooth is working great. I didn't do anything special. I was able to pair to my iphone. Thanks Mammoth.

Also, the resolution change is working fine. No KP. Also, here, I didn't do anything extra.

Thanks.

Color_LCD_Perfect.zip

SuperCal_1_1.zip

kellis:

I'm not doing any new kexts additions right now. I would rather wait for Mammoth's instructions. I think he's super busy over the long weekend which I totally understand.

Just this: This posting has code that shows how to make the Brightness slider show up in the Display preferences. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

Thanks anyways.

Mammoth:

I was just curious to see if I can make the Brightness slider show up in the Display Preferences. And, I was successful but with issues:

I added the following code to make it visible:

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

I used DSDTE to edit the dsdt.aml under the Chameleon\Extra partition by placing the above mentioned method just above Device (PWRB) as suggested here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-d...g-audio-19.html. I then compiled and it compiled with no errors or warnings and rebooted keeping my fingers crossed and it actually worked.

The Display preferences is able to show the Brightness slider. But, it is always set at maximum and there is no effect in sliding it and also even if I move the slider left or right, it moves to the maximum immediately. So, definitely, I'm missing something.

Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks.

post-607801-1278364326_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm back from my 4th of July weekend in Vegas and ready to get caught up with you all on our DVx progress. I wanted to keep up while in Vegas, but the hotel did NOT have free Internet and there are some bugs with my new iPhone 4 which will not allow me to post on InsanelyMac as I was able to do with my 3G and prior to iOS 4.0.

So bear with me while I re-read all your posts and respond to all of them.

I am very happy to see people working to resolve issues and making progress!

Mammoth

Hi Mammoth,

Mine does all of those too, some related to vanilla kernel, but some appear with mach_kernel also. These are things we need to work on.

After this kernel panic, I coulnd't get back to SL after a reboot. I saw the Chameleon boot loader and pressing ENTER did nothing. Luckily, I have backed up the entire HDD (all the partitions) using Clonezilla and was able to restore absolutely fine. So, this is the excellent news :) . Clonezilla can backup the entire HDD (all partitions - it supports NTFS, HFS+ etc), so, you can get everything back including the EFI and Chameleon boot partition with no single issue. Also, another luck is I got my new dv8t-1200 with dual HDDs and was able to backup to the second HDD with no problems. So, the solution is to use Clonezilla which is free too!!!

WOW! Great find with Clonezilla. I haven't heard of the that, but since you have tried it and it works, I will be trying it too. THANKS!!!

If you are talking about the ones with the "Power off Card", I believe those are for Express Slot cards.

2. About this Mac.jpg

Processor info is wrong.

Yes, these are mostly cosmetic. They are controlled by SMBIOS.plist and FAKESMC.kext. This is another area I haven't focused on yet. I found an updated version of FAKESMC.kext, but when I tried it I got a KP. I was in a rush at the time, so I didn't experiment with it beyond that. I think some of those entries are supposed to covered in future updates to Chameleon as well.

3. Hardware Overview.jpg

Same as above. Yes, I believe our machines are closer to a 6,2. I have the complete IOReg and System Profiler from a 6,2 machine I will post soon. ; )

4. Bluetooth.jpg

Yes, this was very nice for me too... even though I don't use it.

Yes, I get this too and it sounds like we all will, for now. We couldn't all have failures, so it's cosmetic, as far as I can tell.

Hmmm. If this is true, I haven't noticed (or maybe tried) the left side USB. I'll check it and let you know.

Thanks.

Thanks for your work and help too! You are certainly an asset to this thread. Keep it up!

Mammoth

1) no brightness

Yes, I was having trouble getting a clean DSDT and it's probably due to the "very strange" Insyde BIOS HP is now using. On the home post of this thread, at the bottom, I have links to other realated sites and threads. Check out the one from "Yehia Amer":

"[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP dvx Quad Core i7 QM, Installing Method, Kexts, and DSDT fixes"

He has been doing a lot with DSDT on a DV7 (very close to ours) and that is the one I started using.

Mammoth

Hi kellis,

3. SD reader

5. Brightness control (need it the most) :)

On the USB issue, while I have not noticed that yet on my machine, this is a common anomaly in the osX86 scene experienced with several machines. It is fixable, ideally, through DSDT edits, or there is a .kext that can be used (I'll have to see if I can find which one.)

Thanks.

Hi, actually, mine doesn't have that many issues.

The power is handled well, as well as cpu fan etc.

Note that i do not use any DSDT.aml files. Only kexts.

Here's my list of all my kexts in my /E/E

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext ===> This one is what makes the keyboard & TrackPad work

JMicron36xSATA.kext ===> Our machines don't have JMicron controllers. So remove.

SleepEnabler.kext ===> We should be able to get this via DSDT, but maybe fine until then.

EvOreboot.kext ===> We are already using this one.

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext ===> I believe this is the one that fixes the USB issues. Again, better done with a DSDT edit when possible.

fakesmc.kext ===> We are already using this one.

JMicron36xATA.kext ===> Our machines don't have JMicron controllers. So remove.

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ===> We should be able to get this via DSDT, but maybe fine until then.

The above in blue are just my quick comments. I have not tested any of these. If some could test each one by removing, then testing, then reporting results, that would be very helpful. Also test without DSDT (I have not had time to do this yet.) Because are machines are somewhat EFI ready, perhaps this is why many things are working without a DSDT. Again, more testing is needed.

Note that i run in 32bit.

In my /S/L/E i added these:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 21:39 IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 20:50 VoodooHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 136 Jun 27 20:37 IOPCIFamily.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 27 20:34 AppleHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 9 03:10 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 14 05:37 VoodooBattery.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Feb 9 15:34 VoodooSDHC.kext

drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Dec 3 2009 RealtekR1000SL.kext

I would try to keep as many of these in /C/E/E/ as possible.

Now as far as the nvdia, do you have the 230m?

in my case, i didn't have to do anything other than add graphics enabler in chameleon. (i use rc4 btw).

i can switch resolution without any issues or crash.

Hope this helps.

I tried to get the latest kext for the above files. (from insanelymac, or kexts.com)

Let me know how that goes.

Mammoth:

Thanks.

SuperCal-1-1.zip is excellent and seems to be having a perfect color balance although slightly dimmer. This can be overcome once we have the Brightness issue resolved.

Another Update:

It seems Bluetooth is working great. I didn't do anything special. I was able to pair to my iphone. Thanks Mammoth.

Also, the resolution change is working fine. No KP. Also, here, I didn't do anything extra.

Thanks.

Great work MacMan50!!!

I haven't had a chance to try ICC profile, but I will and report back. I'm sure it's as good as you say, so I will be using it.

Thanks!

Mammoth

kellis:

I'm not doing any new kexts additions right now. I would rather wait for Mammoth's instructions. I think he's super busy over the long weekend which I totally understand.

Thanks MacMan50! As mentioined, you were correct; I was a bit out of touch over the long weekend.

On the kext issues, we want to avoid them as much as possible and do things through DSDT edits; however, until proper DSDT code and edits can be discovered, we may have to use other means as a crutch temporarily. As new updates are released from Apple, these kext files can stop working or cause other problems.

Just this: This posting has code that shows how to make the Brightness slider show up in the Display preferences. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211705

This is really encouraging! Let's keep at this.

Mammoth

Thanks anyways.

Mammoth:

I was just curious to see if I can make the Brightness slider show up in the Display Preferences. And, I was successful but with issues:

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

I used DSDTE to edit the dsdt.aml under the Chameleon\Extra partition by placing the above mentioned method just above Device (PWRB) as suggested here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-d...g-audio-19.html. I then compiled and it compiled with no errors or warnings and rebooted keeping my fingers crossed and it actually worked.

The Display preferences is able to show the Brightness slider. But, it is always set at maximum and there is no effect in sliding it and also even if I move the slider left or right, it moves to the maximum immediately. So, definitely, I'm missing something.

Thanks.

This is fantastic progress MacMan50. Very nice work! :)

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

You are really on to something here. Everyone needs to understand this about DSDTs: There are different "Device" labels (and other parameters as well) between PC based machines and Macs. I think all that may be needed to get this to work is to locate the section in the DSDT that is PC specific, and modify it with the Mac equivalent. I don't if this is what you have already done or not, but if so (if you have located the correct section for the brightness), then I believe only slight tweaks would be needed to get it working. If on the other hand you simply inserted that code into the DSDT, then I don't think that will work; we have to do as I first mentioned.

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

Thanks.

Hi, I was able to recompile my own dsdt with the help of everybody, and yes, i am in the same boat as you are.

The slider shows up, but does not act.

Same with the FN keys. they show the HUD, but no action.

the reason is that i believe the MAX and MIN values are set to 0x00

I tried to find a way to actually set that, maybe with BCL or something in a kext, but no luck thus far.

Mammoth:

Its been a while since I got a feedback from you. I apologize for pushing this. The top 5 issues that I would like to get resolved on our dv8t machine are:

1. Brightness control.

2. Audio w/o using Voodoo kext.

3. Efficient Fan/Temperature management.

4. Fn Key mapping

5. Broadcom wireless card (that you purchased from eBay).

Couple of questions:

How did you manage to generate dsdt.aml for our dv8t notebooks? How do I generate a new/original dsdt.aml for my notebook? I have been discussing in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...23205&st=60 and may be the new DSDT auto patcher tool might help us. With your permission, I'm going to post the dsdt.aml that came with the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 in that thread to see if the moderator (oldnapalm) would be able to patch the dsdt.aml to resolove the issues we're facing.

Btw, did you get the vanilla kernel and the patched BIOS from gsly?

On a side note, I was checking this thread and it seems this guy says all are working on his Acer 8940g notebook that comes with GT250M GPU: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222668

Thanks again for all your help and patience in answering my questions.

Mammoth:

Its been a while since I got a feedback from you. I apologize for pushing this. The top 5 issues that I would like to get resolved on our dv8t machine are:

1. Brightness control.

2. Audio w/o using Voodoo kext.

3. Efficient Fan/Temperature management.

4. Fn Key mapping

5. Broadcom wireless card (that you purchased from eBay).

Couple of questions:

How did you manage to generate dsdt.aml for our dv8t notebooks? How do I generate a new/original dsdt.aml for my notebook? I have been discussing in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...23205&st=60 and may be the new DSDT auto patcher tool might help us. With your permission, I'm going to post the dsdt.aml that came with the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 in that thread to see if the moderator (oldnapalm) would be able to patch the dsdt.aml to resolove the issues we're facing.

Btw, did you get the vanilla kernel and the patched BIOS from gsly?

On a side note, I was checking this thread and it seems this guy says all are working on his Acer 8940g notebook that comes with GT250M GPU: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222668

Thanks again for all your help and patience in answering my questions.

Hi MacMan50,

Sorry, I am really tied up with a bunch of things lately which has taken me out of the loop. I'm not going to have much time to work on mine for a while unfortunately.

Did you miss my post #60?

1. I don't know about the brightness, other than what I have already posted. It seems easily fixable though.

2. Please work with Kizwan on the audio issue. He is a true master and a great help.

3. See my post #60

4. See my post #60

5. I got the Wifi card, but it wasn't working. It's either because the card they shipped me isn't the correct card, or there was something not right with modified BIOS I got from gsly at ProjectOSX. I haven't had time to follow up. HOWEVER... I do have some interesting news for everyone:

1) I took an actual Apple WiFi card out of a 2.2GHz MacBook, which is a Broadcom BCM94321MC.

2) This is a "full-length" card, not like the "half-length" cards that comes with the DV8t.

3) There are 2 mini-PCI card slots on our DV8ts! There is the one with the half-lenght slot under the bass speaker cover, and there is another one THAT WORKS between the two hard drive bays.

4) I removed our card from the top slot, put the Apple WiFi card in the bottom slot, and BAM! Perfectly working WiFi in OS X AND Windows 7!

5) HOWEVER... there is a big catch (which, almost makes this useless); the card I got off eBay came with a set of WiFi antenna cables. I had to connect these to the card to get any reception. Unfortunately, the cables that go to the top slot are not long enough to reach the bottom slot (at least I'm assuming, I haven't had time to actually take the machine apart to verify this, but I'd almost bet money they won't reach).

So anyone who wants to go this route would either have to extend the cables somehow (not likely), or take the machine apart and replace the antenna cables with ones like I got off of eBay (this is the only solution that would actually work, that I can think of).

Other than that, if you can work with gsly, you can get other cards to work, but you have to modify your BIOS.

Feel free to post the DSDT.aml file! : )

I tried, several days back, to get the vanilla kernel working, but did not have any success, but didn't have time to dig deep either.

Sorry I must be a bit out of the loop for a while. I really have too many things going on right now. I'm not quitting, by any means, but I am swamped! I was more connected and able to keep up with things when my iPhone allowed me to post on InsanelyMac, but since moving to the iPhone 4 and iOS 4.0, it won't let me. : ( If they resolve the issue with an update, then I might be able to be more involved as I am on the go A LOT!

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Where are you? :P

While you're gone, I was able to get a vanilla kernel (64bit) and was able to install on the 10.6.3 version. KP if I update to 10.6.4.

More on this here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=...473&start=0

Hope you come back soon.

Thanks.

Thanks MacMan50, I should be in bed now... but I'm taking a look at this.

Mammoth

@Mammoth, I found you now. :P Now I need to read the whole thread first before sharing my thoughts. Anyway, any progress on the codec dump I requested from you a long long time ago? :)

Hello Kizwan my old friend! :)

As you may have read, I am beyond swamped lately! :D

There is a lot going on in my life and I just don't have the time to do many of the things I would like to.

On the codec dump, somewhere I had replied asking for the method you would like me to use to produce it. If you could list (or point us to) the best tools and methods that would produce a dump that would be most useful to you, either I or MacMan50 could produce it.

I DO really want to get sound (and other things) working, it's just my time is so limited lately (I shouldn't even be on now as I have so much to do)! :P

So if I had a 1-2-3 on how to do it, and I could do it in minimal time, I would.

THANKS!

Mammoth

Mammoth:

Thanks.

Another Update:

Thanks.

Hello

I am the newbie in this forum.

I just found the two ICC postings from your personal contributions.

But I personally want to double-check the monitor spec with you .

DV8t comes with two different laptop lcds, either Samsung( LTN184HT/90% color gamut) or CMO ( CMO180X/ 7X% Color gamut ).

I don't know which one of the laptop screens(either Samsung or CMO) is inside your DV8t.

Thank you.

Regards meow888

Hello

I am the newbie in this forum.

I just found the two ICC postings from your personal contributions.

But I personally want to double-check the monitor spec with you .

DV8t comes with two different laptop lcds, either Samsung( LTN184HT/90% color gamut) or CMO ( CMO180X/ 7X% Color gamut ).

I don't know which one of the laptop screens(either Samsung or CMO) is inside your DV8t.

Thank you.

Regards meow888

Mine came with Samsung.

Mammoth,

hope you come back soon with full force :(

btw, I read your notes on the wireless card BCM94321MC

and i wanted to understand this clearly before I place

a order for BCM94321MC. The intel card that came with

dv8t notebook is located under the subwoofer cover. Right?

The other empty pci-e slot is located

between the two HDD bays. Right?

Now, if I buy BCM94321MC and put it under the

subwoofer cover by removing the intel card from that location,

does dv8t boot ok? Also does this card also has Bluetooth?

Please reply or if somebody can reply, great!

Thanks.

work with no issues?

@Mac Man 50, before you order the wireless card make sure what is the card form factor; is it PCIe mini card or half mini card? Make sure your motherboard have PCIe mini card slot if the card form factor is PCIe mini card. The only different between two card form factor, Half mini card length is half the length of the PCIe mini card. Like Mammoth said earlier, tricky part is to connect the antenna cable to the new wireless card. If you need to put new antenna, you will need to open the notebook casing, as well as the monitor casing because there is where you need to put the antenna to. I don't think bluetooth is integrated in BCM94321MC wireless card. Can you confirmed your current wireless card have bluetooth integrated in it? I don't think so though.

As for the audio, can you give me the audio codec dump from linux? If you don't know how, this is how you dump the audio codec in linux:-

1) download any linux live CD you comfortable with; for example Fedora Live CD

2) burn the ISO to a CD-R or CD-RW media

3) boot your notebook with the Live CD

4) open Terminal

5) Execute this command:-

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

6) Post the codec_dump.txt here

Thank you. :)

@Mac Man 50, before you order the wireless card make sure what is the card form factor; is it PCIe mini card or half mini card? Make sure your motherboard have PCIe mini card slot if the card form factor is PCIe mini card. The only different between two card form factor, Half mini card length is half the length of the PCIe mini card. Like Mammoth said earlier, tricky part is to connect the antenna cable to the new wireless card. If you need to put new antenna, you will need to open the notebook casing, as well as the monitor casing because there is where you need to put the antenna to. I don't think bluetooth is integrated in BCM94321MC wireless card. Can you confirmed your current wireless card have bluetooth integrated in it? I don't think so though.

As for the audio, can you give me the audio codec dump from linux? If you don't know how, this is how you dump the audio codec in linux:-

1) download any linux live CD you comfortable with; for example Fedora Live CD

2) burn the ISO to a CD-R or CD-RW media

3) boot your notebook with the Live CD

4) open Terminal

5) Execute this command:-

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

6) Post the codec_dump.txt here

Thank you. :D

@Kizwan: You are awesome! Thanks for all your help to all of us! Thanks for posting these straightforward instuctions for doing the codec dump... I have a Linux CD I can try, maybe I will take a moment and try it tomorrow. Thanks!

@MacMan50: Kizwan is exactly right. The Apple card I tried will NOT fit in the "upper" slot (one under the subwoofer pannel). I believe that any Apple WiFi card will work, and under Win7 too, so what we need to do is find out if there is a "half-hight" Apple card that WILL fit in the upper slot, and just get that one - DONE!

Also, Kizwan is correct about the Bluetooth module; it is a separate component, NOT part of the WiFi card. Take out the WiFi card, you still have Bluetooth.

Looks like everyone is making great progress; I haven't even been able to touch my DV8t in over a week! But I promise I will return once I get caught up with a million things. : (

Mammoth

@Kizwan: You are awesome! Thanks for all your help to all of us! Thanks for posting these straightforward instuctions for doing the codec dump... I have a Linux CD I can try, maybe I will take a moment and try it tomorrow. Thanks!

@MacMan50: Kizwan is exactly right. The Apple card I tried will NOT fit in the "upper" slot (one under the subwoofer pannel). I believe that any Apple WiFi card will work, and under Win7 too, so what we need to do is find out if there is a "half-hight" Apple card that WILL fit in the upper slot, and just get that one - DONE!

Also, Kizwan is correct about the Bluetooth module; it is a separate component, NOT part of the WiFi card. Take out the WiFi card, you still have Bluetooth.

Looks like everyone is making great progress; I haven't even been able to touch my DV8t in over a week! But I promise I will return once I get caught up with a million things. : (

Mammoth

Mammoth/Kizwan:

Awesome!

My personal thanks to kizwan for all your help in the audio stuff. I'm just in the process of downloading Fedora Live CD. I'll upload it shortly.

Mammoth: Couple of updates for you:

I have made significant progress from my side:

1. Running on vanilla Darwin kernel 10.4 64bit on 10.6.4. (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3473). A great guy named "kokomal" was able to sort this out. Steps involoved:

a. Begin with 10.6.3.

b. Run the MacBook Pro Update 1.3.

c. Don't do a restart (Disregard the restart dialog).

d. Delete AppleProfileFamily.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

e. Copy the vanilla kernel 64bit onto the root and set the permissions.

f. Restart.

g. Install 10.6.4 update.

h. Don't do a restart (Disregard the restart dialog).

i. Repeat steps d & e.

j. Restart.

Do uname -a, after 10.6.4 boots to make sure you're running on 64bit vanilla kernel (10.4).

2. Audio now working w/ patched AppleHDA.kext and a modified dsdt.aml. I'm attaching my new dsdt.aml which has entries for Audio. What I discovered is we need to copy the AppleHDA.kext to both /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions and also overwrite /S/L/E. But, there is one annoying issue though: Every now and then, there is a bass popping sound happening and I confirmed that it is a long standing bug from Apple itself right from 10.4.9. There are some temp fixes floating on the internet. Probably, I think kizwan's expert help is required here without patching AppleHDA.kext.

3. I can now properly list the name of the Graphics card in the Display properties under System Profiler. I got this dsdt.aml from that same guy named "kokomal". I modified the graphics entries, changed the totalsize for the Graphics card to 0x40 from 0x20 ("kokomal has dv7t-3183cl with GT105M 512MB). The other thing I wanted to ask you is the dsdt.aml that came with Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 is somewhat larger in size than "kokomal's". Don't know why. For audio entries, I was able to merge the changes from "kokomal's" HDEF entries into ours and it worked!. But for Graphics card name display, it is lot difficult. The entries start from Device(PEGP). If you do a diff between both the files, Device(PEGP) has lot of differences and the way you do is different than his. Just for testing, I used his with changes to the audio and graphics card for the size and it is working with no issues. If you say, your copy is better (dsdt.aml from Mammoth Boot CD 1.10), then we should merge the HDEF (audio) and PEGP (display) into ours. I need your help here.

4. I think there is a bug in the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 under Extra/Extensions. All kexts that you have there are all 0KB!. I found that last week and I'm attaching a Kexts.zip that has the latest and greatest kexts that you can copy to /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions. Also, the batch file need to add the following entries:

chown -R root:wheel Extra

chown -R root:wheel Extra/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel Extra/Extensions/*.kext

chmod -R 755 Extra

chmod -R 755 Extra/Extensions

chmod -R 755 Extra/Extensions/*.kext

Also, when I run the batch file, I'm getting some warnings: dependency not found...including anyway etc!!

5. The kexts.zip also has SleepEnabler.kext which helps in sleep/waking up. But, for some reason it is not working. When I click on Sleep from Apple menu the display goes blank for 5 seconds and then immediately comes back.

6. Other issues that we need to fix:

audio (bass/treble controls not working)

card reader

brightness

speedstep

remote control device

check HDMI w/ audio

fn key mapping

7. There is a freeware named "Shades" to control "Brightness" and it works fine although doesn't increase the brightness than what we have now. But, there is one advantage. I'm able to dim the brightness which is good. I'm just wondering how the software was able to dim the display when we can't achieve it by adding Device(PNLF) enty to dsdt.aml.

8. In the "kokomal" modifed dsdt.aml that I'm currently using, in the list of PCI-e cards, it is incorrectly listing Airport Broadcom entry which we need to remove. Maybe, he bought this card for wireless and it is working great for him I think!!!

9. As always, Clonezilla cloing software works extrermely well although slightly slower and incorrect warnings which we can live with.

Thanks again to you and kizwan for all your help in getting this going!

Hoping for a reply.

dsdt_kokomal.zip

MacMan50_modified_dsdt.zip

kexts.zip

2. Audio now working w/ patched AppleHDA.kext and a modified dsdt.aml. I'm attaching my new dsdt.aml which has entries for Audio. What I discovered is we need to copy the AppleHDA.kext to both /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions and also overwrite /S/L/E. But, there is one annoying issue though: Every now and then, there is a bass popping sound happening and I confirmed that it is a long standing bug from Apple itself right from 10.4.9. There are some temp fixes floating on the internet. Probably, I think kizwan's expert help is required here without patching AppleHDA.kext.

This is great. You already got the audio working. I was going to do the same thing except I was going to go with legacy kext (plist only) & patched the AppleHDA.kext with your audio device & vendor ID. I don't think I can do anything about the popping sound though. Since we're using unsupported audio codec (in Apple point of view), this kind of "side effect" can be expected. I will try look into this by comparing the Taptun's AppleHDA.kext with your audio codec dump.

3. I can now properly list the name of the Graphics card in the Display properties under System Profiler. I got this dsdt.aml from that same guy named "kokomal". I modified the graphics entries, changed the totalsize for the Graphics card to 0x40 from 0x20 ("kokomal has dv7t-3183cl with GT105M 512MB). The other thing I wanted to ask you is the dsdt.aml that came with Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 is somewhat larger in size than "kokomal's". Don't know why. For audio entries, I was able to merge the changes from "kokomal's" HDEF entries into ours and it worked!. But for Graphics card name display, it is lot difficult. The entries start from Device(PEGP). If you do a diff between both the files, Device(PEGP) has lot of differences and the way you do is different than his. Just for testing, I used his with changes to the audio and graphics card for the size and it is working with no issues. If you say, your copy is better (dsdt.aml from Mammoth Boot CD 1.10), then we should merge the HDEF (audio) and PEGP (display) into ours. I need your help here.

You only need to copy "Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)" control method from kokomal's DSDT (HDEF & PEGP) to your DSDT. The different in DSDT size between yours & kokomals is because, I bet, both notebook is using different BIOS (because of different model; DV7 vs DV8). I will merge the kokomal's audio & video injection to your DSDT. Mammoth already give me the video ROM file & I can get the correct NVCAP (at least for dual-screen) from it. EDIT:I forgot, I can't read the video ROM file Mammoth gave to me. I need someone to dump the video ROM again.

4. I think there is a bug in the Mammoth Boot CD 1.10 under Extra/Extensions. All kexts that you have there are all 0KB!. I found that last week and I'm attaching a Kexts.zip that has the latest and greatest kexts that you can copy to /Volumes/Cham/Extra/Extensions. Also, the batch file need to add the following entries:

Also, when I run the batch file, I'm getting some warnings: dependency not found...including anyway etc!!

It is normal to get the dependencies error because we're using Extra folder method. You can safely ignore this error.

5. The kexts.zip also has SleepEnabler.kext which helps in sleep/waking up. But, for some reason it is not working. When I click on Sleep from Apple menu the display goes blank for 5 seconds and then immediately comes back.

You will need to look in the system.log file to learn what device(s) preventing your notebook from sleep. This is fixable.