Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

• Please log in to reply
463 replies to this topic

Zenith432

Zenith432

InsanelyMac Sage

• Developers
  • 420 posts

A question is your latest Unlocker that supports ESXi 5, with Donk's scripts build specific or is it generic, as I read somewhere you were intending to do this so a new Unlocker was not needed everytime VMware release a patch. I guess the same question applies to the desktop products as well

• The ESXi 5 unlocker is generic. It should be run via the script there (install.sh) that was added by Donk.
  • The Linux and OS X unlockers can be run "as is" with no scripts.
  • The Windows unlocker can be run "as is", but any processes using vmwarebase.dll have to be terminated first - the tray, VMware Authorization Server, and possibly others.
  • The Linux, OS X and Windows unlockers are generic insofar as patching to the hypervisor goes (the vmx binaries.) The patches to vmwarebase rely on certain code sequences in the binary, so may break in subsequent releases. I'll follow up on it if this happens, and maybe try to find a more robust method to identify the patch points.
  • The Makefile can be used to compile for Linux, OS X and ESXi. For Windows, I have some Visual Studio project files which I didn't publish, but basically using some vanilla settings should build a working exe.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

• The ESXi 5 unlocker is generic. It should be run via the script there (install.sh) that was added by Donk.
  • The Linux and OS X unlockers can be run "as is" with no scripts.
  • The Windows unlocker can be run "as is", but any processes using vmwarebase.dll have to be terminated first - the tray, VMware Authorization Server, and possibly others.
  • The Linux, OS X and Windows unlockers are generic insofar as patching to the hypervisor goes (the vmx binaries.) The patches to vmwarebase rely on certain code sequences in the binary, so may break in subsequent releases. I'll follow up on it if this happens, and maybe try to find a more robust method to identify the patch points.
  • The Makefile can be used to compile for Linux, OS X and ESXi. For Windows, I have some Visual Studio project files which I didn't publish, but basically using some vanilla settings should build a working exe.

Zenith,
Thanks for the prompt response, and clarification. In terms of vmwarebase to confirm, this is cosmetic as it allows you to select OS X from the wizard, rather than modifying the vmx configuration file, but OS X will run without a modifed vmwarebase provided the other binaries are modified!

OSXInstaller

OSXInstaller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I have a problem installing Albert's Unlocker for VMware Workstation with Donk's updated 'windows.cmd' script [(windows.txt) 1.36K], from this Donks post --> http://www.insanelym...p...750&st=140#

I am using Workstation 7.1.4 (seeing build-16648 in Programs and Features in Control Panel, but in workstation build number is seen as build-385536). Host is Windows 7 32bit. In Workstation i have Windows XP virtual machine and have VT in quad core.

I downloaded the Donks updated text script and changed its extension to cmd and pasted in same directory of macosx_guest_vmware-7 as shown below.

Posted Image

I terminated all vmware processes and vmware services confirming no vmware processes, services restarting.

Opened command prompt with administrator privileges and executed windows.bat. But i am receiving different result as 'net' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file' on start than common results like 'VMware Authorization service is stopping' or 'restarting' at end of process etc as shown below.

Posted Image

I doubt the workstation is successfully patched?>. Rather than simply opening windows.bat as administrator, i opened command prompt, moved to folder and executed as shown above.

Please help ..

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted Image

I doubt the workstation is successfully patched?>. Rather than simply opening windows.bat as administrator, i opened command prompt, moved to folder and executed as shown above.

Please help ..

Try renaming to .cmd not .bat as the command processor is different.

OSXInstaller

OSXInstaller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Try renaming to .cmd not .bat as the command processor is different.

You can see in above folder, there is already the windows.cmd updated script supplied by you.
If i change windows.bat to cmd then there will be two windows.cmd files!!
And readme.txt tells to execute windows.bat

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

You can see in above folder, there is already the windows.cmd updated script supplied by you.
If i change windows.bat to cmd then there will be two windows.cmd files!!
And readme.txt tells to execute windows.bat

OSXI',

The bat file is the original one supplied by Albert and can be deleted run the windows.cmd, it is the updated version from Donk.

kno3

kno3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there.

I there an unlocker available for Player 4 Linux x64? Have been going round and round searching for a while, to no avail.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fab! If not, are their any suggestions on what to do for the time being? (downgrade VMware, etc...?)

Thank you!

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Hi there.

I there an unlocker available for Player 4 Linux x64? Have been going round and round searching for a while, to no avail.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be fab! If not, are their any suggestions on what to do for the time being? (downgrade VMware, etc...?)

Thank you!

kno3,

Have a look at my "How to" links for the "Generic" Unlocker with support for Windows, Linux, Fuson and ESXi:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1750634

kno3

kno3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

kno3,

Have a look at my "How to" links for the "Generic" Unlocker with support for Windows, Linux, Fuson and ESXi:

Thanks for your reply! Will give it a shot.

engowen

engowen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm a newbie. I like to find out what do it takes to run Mac OS on VMware Server? I know this forum has been focusing on using VM player and workstation which I got mine to run fine. The error I got when I tried to run the Mac OS image directly without the unlocker is

Error:Guest operating system `darwin10-64' is not supported.
Please select a guest operating system from the General page on the Options tab of Virtual Machine Settings.

I'd referred to http://www.insanelym...howtopic=268533 but I couldn't see any help. I hope there is a simple way like a batch file to enable the support.

Thanks!

OXXYM.s

OXXYM.s

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Dear Mr. Albert Nietsnie
i want thank you for your work on the Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware
and i wanna ask if you can provide us with the method to run the patch for the Linux OS:Ubuntu 11.10

thanks in advance
Regards

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Dear Mr. Albert Nietsnie
i want thank you for your work on the Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware
and i wanna ask if you can provide us with the method to run the patch for the Linux OS:Ubuntu 11.10

thanks in advance
Regards

This thread is now superceeded by Workatation 8 and Player 4, with new a new universal "Unlocker" including linux, link below:

Hi, I'm a newbie. I like to find out what do it takes to run Mac OS on VMware Server? I know this forum has been focusing on using VM player and workstation which I got mine to run fine. The error I got when I tried to run the Mac OS image directly without the unlocker is

Error:Guest operating system `darwin10-64' is not supported.
Please select a guest operating system from the General page on the Options tab of Virtual Machine Settings.

I'd referred to http://www.insanelym...howtopic=268533 but I couldn't see any help. I hope there is a simple way like a batch file to enable the support.

Thanks!

This is very unlikely to work, as VMware Server has very old code, you are better switching to Player 4, which is in effect the replacement for VMware Server, or if you want to go to a dedicated box use ESXi 5 which again is free, the link above and the one below give you relevant information and further links:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1745457

globalist

globalist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, new user here ;)

So I take it this patcher looks into the default location of C:\Program Files\Vmware

But what if one is running a 64bit OS in which case it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware ?

Or what if I have vmware workstation installed on my D: drive?

Is there any way to force it to look into the correct install location?

Thanks!

Oh, and one more question: Why is this patcher actually needed? Reason I ask is I seem to remember succesfully installing OSX (Snow Leopard? Leopard?) a couple years ago as a vmware guest and I don't seem to recall patching my VMW installation then....

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Hi, new user here :)

So I take it this patcher looks into the default location of C:\Program Files\Vmware

But what if one is running a 64bit OS in which case it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware ?

Or what if I have vmware workstation installed on my D: drive?

Is there any way to force it to look into the correct install location?

Thanks!

Oh, and one more question: Why is this patcher actually needed? Reason I ask is I seem to remember succesfully installing OSX (Snow Leopard? Leopard?) a couple years ago as a vmware guest and I don't seem to recall patching my VMW installation then....

If you are still running W7 or P3 then using Albert's "Unlocker" with Donk's updated script is still the preferred method, but Donk's script is a .cmd rather than the original .bat, have a look at the following "How To" for all the relevant information and links.

Donk's .cmd script is aware of 64-bit windows and looks for W7 or P3 in the relevant place. Other locations would require the cript editing, but use the defaults, you can store your guestOS's wherever you like.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

As the code for W7, W8 and P3, P4 are shared with Fusion 3 or 4 which have native support of OS X guests, the "Unlocker" enables this in-built functionality, which VMware block, due to Apple's EULA. Older versions did not have the native support.

globalist

globalist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you are still running W7 or P3 then using Albert's "Unlocker" with Donk's updated script is still the preferred method, but Donk's script is a .cmd rather than the original .bat, have a look at the following "How To" for all the relevant information and links.

Donk's .cmd script is aware of 64-bit windows and looks for W7 or P3 in the relevant place. Other locations would require the cript editing, but use the defaults, you can store your guestOS's wherever you like.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

As the code for W7, W8 and P3, P4 are shared with Fusion 3 or 4 which have native support of OS X guests, the "Unlocker" enables this in-built functionality, which VMware block, due to Apple's EULA. Older versions did not have the native support.

OK but my W7 is installed in D:\Progs\Vmware so how do I get the patcher to look into this location?

Daniel Henninger

Daniel Henninger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there folk, has anyone tried the latest version of this patch after updating to VMWare Workstation 8.01? The patch appears to apply correctly but I do not see an option for Apple -> anything. I'm not seeing any errors during the process. Note that I do not yet have OS X installed at this point. (aiming for lion currently, bought a copy on a usb keychain drive and am going to work from there) Thanks!

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Hi there folk, has anyone tried the latest version of this patch after updating to VMWare Workstation 8.01? The patch appears to apply correctly but I do not see an option for Apple -> anything. I'm not seeing any errors during the process. Note that I do not yet have OS X installed at this point. (aiming for lion currently, bought a copy on a usb keychain drive and am going to work from there) Thanks!

You need the thread for Workstation 8 http://www.insanelym...howtopic=268531

Daniel Henninger

Daniel Henninger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You need the thread for Workstation 8 http://www.insanelym...howtopic=268531

Ah thank you!

TomQ74

TomQ74

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Too bad the attached file is virus-infected with Artemis!2962EF1DB9F7 (according to McAfee)
=> is that necessary???

apple01

apple01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to run it on ESXi 5.1, but getting Segmentation fault error:

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0
==============================
Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12
Patching files...
Segmentation fault

How to work around this problem?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy