463 replies to this topic

McReid

McReid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Albert,

First and foremost allow me to thank you for your, "Unlocker".

Worked like a charm.

Not new to computers, just new to this interesting world of running the Mac OS on a PC.

Only one problem, that I am aware of thus far, which is actually of importance to me, and Im hoping that maybe you might have an answer for me.

At the end of this post, I will list all of my hardware and software to possibly help you diagnose my problem.

Long and short of it, Im using that pre-installed Mac OS X Lion Developers 3 from Mahmood, and VMWare Workstation in Windows 7 x64.

I have no problem entering the Mac OS, but within the Mac environment, I have no cd/dvd burners listed.

In my system, I have 2 of them, both of them SATA.

I have them turned on in VMWare/Settings/Hardware Tab/CD-DVD (IDE)/, I have both, Connected, and Connect At Power On selected, as well as the correct drive letter of my main burner.

Yet when I look in System Report in the Mac OS, and under hardware, and Disc Burning, it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it's connected and turned on."

Both drives are internal SATA drives.

Any help with this?

Thanks.

Main System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VMWare Workstation v7.1.4-385536

Motherboard:
Asus P5K-Deluxe

Cpu:
Intel QX9650 Quad Core

Memory:
8 Gig of DDR2-800

DVD Drives/ Both SATA (Optical):
(Main) TSST Corp CDDVDW SH-S223F (ATA)
(Secondary) HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L (ATA)

One last question, if I may sir.

If I have the original Mac Retail (non server) Install OS DVD, can I still load it into a virtual environment, on a PC, using VMWare Workstation, and your Unlocker?

Thanks again.

McReid

McReid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update: 07/10/2011

Solution found for my, "no burners seen" problem.

I needed to install the correct Kext file, for ATA and SATA support, which, matched my motherboard.

And I found them right here:

http://www.insanelym...p...261152&st=0

Works like a champ now!

Albert,

First and foremost allow me to thank you for your, "Unlocker".

Worked like a charm.

Not new to computers, just new to this interesting world of running the Mac OS on a PC.

Only one problem, that I am aware of thus far, which is actually of importance to me, and Im hoping that maybe you might have an answer for me.

At the end of this post, I will list all of my hardware and software to possibly help you diagnose my problem.

Long and short of it, Im using that pre-installed Mac OS X Lion Developers 3 from Mahmood, and VMWare Workstation in Windows 7 x64.

I have no problem entering the Mac OS, but within the Mac environment, I have no cd/dvd burners listed.

In my system, I have 2 of them, both of them SATA.

I have them turned on in VMWare/Settings/Hardware Tab/CD-DVD (IDE)/, I have both, Connected, and Connect At Power On selected, as well as the correct drive letter of my main burner.

Yet when I look in System Report in the Mac OS, and under hardware, and Disc Burning, it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it's connected and turned on."

Both drives are internal SATA drives.

Any help with this?

Thanks.

Main System:
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VMWare Workstation v7.1.4-385536

Motherboard:
Asus P5K-Deluxe

Cpu:
Intel QX9650 Quad Core

Memory:
8 Gig of DDR2-800

DVD Drives/ Both SATA (Optical):
(Main) TSST Corp CDDVDW SH-S223F (ATA)
(Secondary) HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L (ATA)

If I have the original Mac Retail (non server) Install OS DVD, can I still load it into a virtual environment, on a PC, using VMWare Workstation, and your Unlocker?

Thanks again.

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Thanks again.

McReid,

Glad to here you resolved your CD/DVD issue, in terms of you other question, yes you can use a retail OS X Snow Leopard (Non Server) DVD it will work fibe, as part of the "Unlocker" process is to remove the check for Server media, so non server media will work fine, although your guest will still say it is Server in VMware Workstation configuration, but the actual OS will be Desktop/Client.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Is there any chance that the unlocker would be produced for ESX vSphere 4?

Thanks

sebus

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Is there any chance that the unlocker would be produced for ESX vSphere 4?

Thanks

sebus

Sebus,

The simple answer is no, as ESXi 4 is based on earlier code than Fusion 3 and Workstation 7, i.e. Workstation 6, and requires significantly more patching. Currently the best, and as far as I am aware the only method, is to use Donk's latest darwin.iso currently at version 310, link below:

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1186508

However with ESXi 5 in beta, promising some form of OS X support, this situation may well change once ESXi 5 is released, as I know Donk has some patches which work on Workstation 8 and Fusion 4 again currently in Beta and I am sure ESXi 5 as well. Watch this space.

MSoK!
[Updated 13/07/2011] (Thanks to Donk)

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Thanks, good to know. Did not realize that vSphere uses such old code!

Yet another upgrade on the way then in few months...

sebus

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Thanks, good to know. Did not realize that vSphere uses such old code!

Yet another upgrade on the way then in few months...

sebus

I think MSoK meant Workstation 6 era code is used for some of the ESXi 4 areas we need to patch. It has been confirmed at the launch that ESXi 5 does have Mac OS X support, but unfortunately I am not on the beta program for it and so can't really tell how it may work. However the annoucement details EFI BIOS and virtual hardware 8 support something in the Fusion and Workstation betas so my hopes are high.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

...is to use Donk's latest darwin.iso currently at version 310, link below

But that (as far as I understand) would never run 10.6.8 Server (what I need), right?

sebus

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

But that (as far as I understand) would never run 10.6.8 Server (what I need), right?

sebus

Sebus,
As far as I am aware, and from comments on the forum, 10.6.8 is supported under ESXi 4.1 using Donk's darwin.iso (310), I don't think installing the tools has any significant benefit under ESXi, but Zenith432's 2D graphics drivers may help.
MSoK.

sebus

sebus

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Sebus,
As far as I am aware, and from comments on the forum, 10.6.8 is supported under ESXi 4.1 using Donk's darwin.iso (310)

Nice, but as you see from my post:

http://www.insanelym...p...p=1714217

I can not even boot to installer on vSphere 4.1

sebus

staticz

staticz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having a bit of trouble with my OSX VM. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 and have followed Mac Son of Knifes wonderful guide. Everything appeared to be running OK, but if I leave the VM alone for about 20 minutes it locks up.

Has anyone seen this before? Honestly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with OSX as a whole, is this considered 'Kernel Panic'?

I have several other VM's that run without issue. I'm guessing hardware may be the culprit, but hopefully someone can answer that. Here are my machine specs:

Thinkstation D20
Dual Xeon E5520's
16 GB RAM

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

I'm having a bit of trouble with my OSX VM. I'm running VMWare Workstation 7.1.4 and have followed Mac Son of Knifes wonderful guide. Everything appeared to be running OK, but if I leave the VM alone for about 20 minutes it locks up.

Has anyone seen this before? Honestly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with OSX as a whole, is this considered 'Kernel Panic'?

I have several other VM's that run without issue. I'm guessing hardware may be the culprit, but hopefully someone can answer that. Here are my machine specs:

Thinkstation D20
Dual Xeon E5520's
16 GB RAM

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated.

Switch all energy settings to "never" and install the Caffeine app and leave running.

staticz

staticz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Switch all energy settings to "never" and install the Caffeine app and leave running.

Worked like a charm! The only thing I'm fighting now is Safari randomly crashing. Thanks for your help!

turkeyshoot

turkeyshoot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

1716460[/url]']
Worked like a charm! The only thing I'm fighting now is Safari randomly crashing. Thanks for your help!

Try http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1583548

stewie7669

stewie7669

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Donk

Do you have a link for the latest version of vmware unlocker that handles Workstation and player in their latest versions? I see several links, but (and I'm sure I've not seen them all) some seem quite old.

Thanks!

Stewie

MSoK

MSoK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Donk

Do you have a link for the latest version of vmware unlocker that handles Workstation and player in their latest versions? I see several links, but (and I'm sure I've not seen them all) some seem quite old.

Thanks!

Stewie

Stewie,

Have a look at my "How To" link below, it has all the latest links you should need, plus some useful tips.

http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1622074

Gremo

Gremo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I need help, i cannot get this method to work. What i did:

1) Extracted InstallESD.dmg from inside C:\Users\Marco\Downloads\Install Mac OS X Lion.app\Contents\SharedSupport\InstallESD.dmg

2) Converted InstallESD.dmg to InstallESD.iso using UltraISO

3) Tried a fresh install in VMware Worstation using 2Gb of ram and OS X Server as type of virtual machine.

After the end of the setup process all i can see is the EFI shell. ;) :D Any help would be appreciated!

weeebber

weeebber

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can this be used to turn an OS X partition into the guest?

In a little more detail:
I have a MacBook Pro with a Snow Leo partition, Lion, and Win7.
When in Snow Leo can i use this 'unlocker' to make the VM treat the Lion partition as the guest? (similar to what vmware/parallels does to make a win bootcamp partition the guest)

Silvertiger

Silvertiger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Strange question here, but the patch fails for me.
it stops the service fine, but the windows_32 fails.
Perhaps because I am on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit but I have seen other users stating that they have patched and are running OS X Guest systems in VMWare using Win 7 x64.

I appear to be missing a step. does this need to be run in the VMWare folder? or is it global?

Any help would be appreciated.

Strange question here, but the patch fails for me.
it stops the service fine, but the windows_32 fails.
Perhaps because I am on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit but I have seen other users stating that they have patched and are running OS X Guest systems in VMWare using Win 7 x64.

I appear to be missing a step. does this need to be run in the VMWare folder? or is it global?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind .. AV was killing the file - disabled for 10 minutes, patched .. sorry to ask a stupid question.

luji

luji

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Good day.

I wrote a little program which allows to create a virtual machine and run any flavor of Mac OS X

• Mac OS X
  • Mac OS X Server
inside the virtual machine, using any VMware product
  • VMware Workstation for Windows
  • VMware Workstation for Linux
  • VMware Fusion for Mac OS X
on any Intel-based physical machine
  • PC
  • Mac
I hope you will enjoy it. For details, please read the file README.txt. Give me your feedback about it in this forum.

Hello, I have one question reagarding installation 64-bits Windows7. Do you have a solution also for them, please?

Thx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy