Mac OS X guest unlocker for VMware

462 posts in this topic

Hi, new user here ;)

So I take it this patcher looks into the default location of C:\Program Files\Vmware

But what if one is running a 64bit OS in which case it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware ?

Or what if I have vmware workstation installed on my D: drive?

Is there any way to force it to look into the correct install location?

Thanks!

Oh, and one more question: Why is this patcher actually needed? Reason I ask is I seem to remember succesfully installing OSX (Snow Leopard? Leopard?) a couple years ago as a vmware guest and I don't seem to recall patching my VMW installation then....

Hi, new user here :)

So I take it this patcher looks into the default location of C:\Program Files\Vmware

But what if one is running a 64bit OS in which case it would be C:\Program Files (x86)\Vmware ?

Or what if I have vmware workstation installed on my D: drive?

Is there any way to force it to look into the correct install location?

Thanks!

Oh, and one more question: Why is this patcher actually needed? Reason I ask is I seem to remember succesfully installing OSX (Snow Leopard? Leopard?) a couple years ago as a vmware guest and I don't seem to recall patching my VMW installation then....

If you are still running W7 or P3 then using Albert's "Unlocker" with Donk's updated script is still the preferred method, but Donk's script is a .cmd rather than the original .bat, have a look at the following "How To" for all the relevant information and links.

Donk's .cmd script is aware of 64-bit windows and looks for W7 or P3 in the relevant place. Other locations would require the cript editing, but use the defaults, you can store your guestOS's wherever you like.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

As the code for W7, W8 and P3, P4 are shared with Fusion 3 or 4 which have native support of OS X guests, the "Unlocker" enables this in-built functionality, which VMware block, due to Apple's EULA. Older versions did not have the native support.

If you are still running W7 or P3 then using Albert's "Unlocker" with Donk's updated script is still the preferred method, but Donk's script is a .cmd rather than the original .bat, have a look at the following "How To" for all the relevant information and links.

Donk's .cmd script is aware of 64-bit windows and looks for W7 or P3 in the relevant place. Other locations would require the cript editing, but use the defaults, you can store your guestOS's wherever you like.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1622074

As the code for W7, W8 and P3, P4 are shared with Fusion 3 or 4 which have native support of OS X guests, the "Unlocker" enables this in-built functionality, which VMware block, due to Apple's EULA. Older versions did not have the native support.

OK but my W7 is installed in D:\Progs\Vmware so how do I get the patcher to look into this location?

Hi there folk, has anyone tried the latest version of this patch after updating to VMWare Workstation 8.01? The patch appears to apply correctly but I do not see an option for Apple -> anything. I'm not seeing any errors during the process. Note that I do not yet have OS X installed at this point. (aiming for lion currently, bought a copy on a usb keychain drive and am going to work from there) Thanks!

Hi there folk, has anyone tried the latest version of this patch after updating to VMWare Workstation 8.01? The patch appears to apply correctly but I do not see an option for Apple -> anything. I'm not seeing any errors during the process. Note that I do not yet have OS X installed at this point. (aiming for lion currently, bought a copy on a usb keychain drive and am going to work from there) Thanks!

You need the thread for Workstation 8 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268531

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm trying to run it on ESXi 5.1, but getting Segmentation fault error:

VMware ESXi 5.0 Unlocker 1.1.0

==============================

Copyright: Dave Parsons 2011-12

Patching files...

Segmentation fault

How to work around this problem?

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Hello

Using the unlocker with VmWare10, unlock went with no errors, when I start my vm, after a while, i get a blank screen, but I see the mouse and i can move it.

If I "suspend" and "unsuspend" the VM then I can see the MacOS desktop, and I can also reach my shared folders on it. So it's working!

But! I can't use the mouse nor the keyboard, i have no way to interact with the OS.

Is anyone had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Note: I was using this vm successfully with an older vmware and older unlocker some weeks ago.

Thanks a lot for your help! :-)

Edit: it seems it's working, i just can see anything. If i randomly click and hit an app icon on the desktop, it launches, but the display is not refreshed at all (except when I do suspend/unsuspend) 

Hello

Using the unlocker with VmWare10, unlock went with no errors, when I start my vm, after a while, i get a blank screen, but I see the mouse and i can move it.

If I "suspend" and "unsuspend" the VM then I can see the MacOS desktop, and I can also reach my shared folders on it. So it's working!

But! I can't use the mouse nor the keyboard, i have no way to interact with the OS.

Is anyone had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

Note: I was using this vm successfully with an older vmware and older unlocker some weeks ago.

Thanks a lot for your help! :-)

Edit: it seems it's working, i just can see anything. If i randomly click and hit an app icon on the desktop, it launches, but the display is not refreshed at all (except when I do suspend/unsuspend) 

What version of windows are you on?