654 replies to this topic

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

AUDIO SUCCESS!

So thanks to rankrotten I finally got the right HDEF code into the DSDT - I've updated the attachment in post #33 with the new DSDT file. That new DSDT, in combination with tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext and this new patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 will give you *fully functional* audio, including encoded digital 5.1!

update to 10.6.4, then replace existing AppleHDA with this patched one in S/L/E, put Legacy889HDA in E/E, repair permissions and rebuild kext caches, then reboot and enjoy a movie...

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy. Since I'm rocking the i7-930 and NVidia card, I tried to just swap in your DSDT, but when I booted up, all my disks were orange! I can't remember if my sound was working or not.

So, I've got no sound from the board, but I'm getting by with my USB soundsticks.

Anyway, here's my DSDT if you want to compare. I do have some really cool USB stuff in there that's got my iPad/Phone charging on the USB ports. Maybe we can get ours merged to some sort of Super DSDT.
Attached File  howboutjoe_i7_930_ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_dsdt.zip   20.3KB   80 downloads

Is your box sleeping yet?

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy. Since I'm rocking the i7-930 and NVidia card, I tried to just swap in your DSDT, but when I booted up, all my disks were orange! I can't remember if my sound was working or not.

So, I've got no sound from the board, but I'm getting by with my USB soundsticks.

Anyway, here's my DSDT if you want to compare. I do have some really cool USB stuff in there that's got my iPad/Phone charging on the USB ports. Maybe we can get ours merged to some sort of Super DSDT.
Attached File  howboutjoe_i7_930_ga_x58a_ud3r_r2_dsdt.zip   20.3KB   80 downloads

Is your box sleeping yet?

I still don't have sleep working - trying the xnu-sleep enabler kext breaks my machine and I have to disable it at startup. However, the machine is rock solid.

Does not having sleep/speedstep enabled mean that when the machine is idle it's still using full power?

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

What changes do I have to do for a i7-920 procesor, will it work the same as yours?

It won't work quite the same - here's a DSDT for your i7-920 (altered with step 5 of d00d's guide - other processors listed there as well):

Attached File  x58_ud3r_rev2_920_dsdt.zip   6.54KB   163 downloads

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I tried using your two kexts here and making your HDEF changes to my DSDT, but still no joy.

I was just looking in my /Extra folder and saw Legacy889HDA.kext, so I'm thinking maybe I was a dumbass and didn't put in in /E/E.

Since I saw it from remote desktop, I'm not going to reboot remotely, but I'll let you guys know if that was my problem when I get home tonight.

nullspot - I have to applaud the elegance and simplicity of the simple act of adding a color label to the AppleHDA.kext you uploaded. It was so easy to confirm that it was still the one I had loaded. Well done.

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I was just looking in my /Extra folder and saw Legacy889HDA.kext, so I'm thinking maybe I was a dumbass and didn't put in in /E/E.

Since I saw it from remote desktop, I'm not going to reboot remotely, but I'll let you guys know if that was my problem when I get home tonight.

Using any Legacy889HDA.kext makes my coreaudiod go crazy and just eat cpu. Yanked it, but still no audio here.

jdc

jdc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It won't work quite the same - here's a DSDT for your i7-920 (altered with step 5 of d00d's guide - other processors listed there as well):

Attached File  x58_ud3r_rev2_920_dsdt.zip   6.54KB   163 downloads

Thanks, awesome i am going to give it a try

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
nullspot

What's your kext situation look like now? Which ones are still in /E/E and What's new and/or modified in /S/L/E? I want to try your DSDT again with the right set of extensions and see if that works for me.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

What's your kext situation look like now? Which ones are still in /E/E and What's new and/or modified in /S/L/E? I want to try your DSDT again with the right set of extensions and see if that works for me.

Looks like you have the *exact* same hardware as me... not sure why you're having so much trouble. I just realized I've actually got sleep working - i just have to wake up the box with the power button (usb devices don't seem to wake everything up).

Only new stuff is the tonymac JMicron36xSATA.kext (so the sata controller doesn't appear as "unknown") and d00d's modded fakesmc.kext in S/L/E simply for its support of temp, fan and voltage monitoring in iStat Menus.

Other than that, everything's just as I've posted earlier, 10.6.4 update and all...

E/E:
- Legacy889HDA.kext
- OrangeIconFix.kext
- JMicron36xSATA.kext

S/L/E:
- AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4 patched)
- fakesmc.kext (d00d 1.8.1 mod) - note: the older fakesmc.kext in E/E works just fine too

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
nullspot - how did you get sleep working? Did it work out of the box or did you install someone's sleep enabler?

I'm currently using a 10.6.3 sleep enabler and it's crashing on startup, I have to have pmVersion=0 for it to work.

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really use/need sleep on desktops, I just want it to turn off monitors, hard drives and speedstep to a low CPU wattage when it's not being used...

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

nullspot - how did you get sleep working? Did it work out of the box or did you install someone's sleep enabler?
However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really use/need sleep on desktops, I just want it to turn off monitors, hard drives and speedstep to a low CPU wattage when it's not being used...

i have no sleepenablers or special settings or plists...

just my custom DSDT that I posted earlier. Like I said, it's not working perfectly. Going to sleep is easy, waking up and having displays and keyboards work was the issue. But just pushing the power button seem to be enough for me...

But yes, I also don't really need sleep much at all.

**EDIT**

I just tried waking from sleep again by just pressing a key. Worked! Don't know what's changed... display came back on, usb worked... actually ethernet did not come back - I had to go into network prefs and turn it off and back on for it to become active again.

NOTE - I am currently using a TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR network card, as I am not totally confident in the built-in ethernet solutions. I've had my built-in working with DSDT and realtek drivers, but bonjour has only worked with certain other macs on my network, and I've had many "freezes" where my network traffic disappears and the machine seems to lock up (one by one programs get stuck in spinning beach ball, even though the OS isn't totally frozen). I've simply heard using this card is much more "vanilla" as it uses the same 8169 chipset as apple. It's also 64-bit compatible. But I'm not sure why it doesn't come back to life automatically after sleep. I'm wondering if my DSDT edits dealing with the "en0" interface (this pci card is listed as "en1") has anything to do with it...

econ3000

econ3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
updated to 10.6.4 and installed the audio fixes / reinstalled ethernet drivers and all is working. Thanks for the i7 920 specific dsdt!

next goal is 100% working in 64bit mode.

econ3000

x58a-ud3r rev. 2.0
i7 920
12GB DDR3 1600
msi n260GTX

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Looks like you have the *exact* same hardware as me... not sure why you're having so much trouble. I just realized I've actually got sleep working - i just have to wake up the box with the power button (usb devices don't seem to wake everything up).

Only new stuff is the tonymac JMicron36xSATA.kext (so the sata controller doesn't appear as "unknown") and d00d's modded fakesmc.kext in S/L/E simply for its support of temp, fan and voltage monitoring in iStat Menus.

Other than that, everything's just as I've posted earlier, 10.6.4 update and all...

E/E:
- Legacy889HDA.kext
- OrangeIconFix.kext
- JMicron36xSATA.kext

S/L/E:
- AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4 patched)
- fakesmc.kext (d00d 1.8.1 mod) - note: the older fakesmc.kext in E/E works just fine too

I just tried your DSDT and all those kexts, except the OrangeIconFix, whihc I don't have, and still crazy coreaudio. It was literally crackling every second and dumping this to the kernel.log:
Jun 18 19:27:09 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:10 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:10 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:12 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:12 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:15 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff

Do you mind posting a zip of your whole /Extra folder and the two kexts you've got in /S/L/E?

Thanks

thesickness069

thesickness069

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>

Identify your machine as MacPro4,1 in smbios.plist.

<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).
or just grab this fakesmc i've already modded:

Alright so I am a noob when it comes to this whole MAC thing. I've been trying to fig out how and where to install the DSDT file at. Would anyone like to just spend a new mins and try to explain it all to me. Thanks a million!!!

Phorte

Phorte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
nullspot, looks like youve had a really busy week!!! i'll give your 920 dsdt and other instructions a shot

delicatepc

delicatepc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Ignore for now -- Work in Progress (testing out)....

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB (896-P3-1257-AR Superclocked Edition)
Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

Install Guide:

Install OSX using ##### 2.0 Method.
Install 10.6.4 Combo Update and reboot and use ##### to boot again.
Run ##### 2.0

##### 2.0:
UserDSDT option

Selected following to install:
UserDSDT (make sure DSDT.aml is on desktop)
System Utilities->Rebuild Caches

Advanced Options->Kexts:

Disk->Jmircron36X->JMicron36xSATA

Chameleon-> Chameleon 2.0RC4
Themes->Standard Chameleon
OSX Software-> Kext Helper b7
===================

Modify com.apple.Boot.plist add following entry (so that CPU specific changes in DSDT work):
<key>DropSSDT</key>
		<string>yes</string>
Modify com.apple.Boot.plist and remove ethernet strings (attached DSDT.aml takes care of ethernet?--testing)

Modify smbios.plist and change machine type (Identifies the machines better):
<key>SMproductname</key>
		<string>MacPro4,1</string>
Install the three kexts (found in attached zip in this post) using Kext Helper b7 (found in applications):
AppleHDA.kext
fakesmc.kext (modified)
Legacy889HDA.kext

Install Realtek NIC driver (RTGNICv.2.0.4.pkg -- located in attachment) testing

Reboot.

Results:
GeekBench 9111

Not Working:

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Not sure if this is a 10.6.4 thing or because of the recent itunes update, but now when running itunes my mouse will jump around every now and then. I'll be moving my mouse down a row of text and I can see it jumping a few lines (this is on a machine that matches the posts in this thread).

I've also recently installed iLife (not sure if that's a known issue).

I haven't tried disabling AppleUserUpstream yet because that seems like a really old issue - is that still a valid fix?

heythisisdave

heythisisdave

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I tried disabling the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext and it fixed the jumpiness of the mouse but it also disabled my second monitor. It appears that the kext does things like HDCP handling, does that mean my monitor is HDCP compliant or something?

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
So, I've got audio with VooDooHDA. It's the best I can get working, but it doesn't support the optical out. I've tried a ton of stuff, even going so far as to try manually setting my PinConfiguration by pulling them from Windows 7.

I've also seen that my display locks up completely when I plug my HDTV into the video card. This happens when I plug it in to the HDMI port or if I use an HDMI-DVI adapter and plug it in to the DVI port.

I also still can't sleep, or rather wake from sleep. This wouldn't be a problem, except that even though I set the machine to never sleep, it still sleeps sometimes.

Still, I've got my GeekBench64 score at 10068 and my CPU idle temps at 39, 39, 34, and 34. You can Squeeze a couple of degrees of coolness out of the proc by turning on Dynamic VCore in the BIOS. I didn't notice that tweak my first time through d00d's power management thread.

nullspot, have you tried hooking yours to an HDTV? I know we have the same graphics card, so just curious.

nullspot

nullspot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

So, I've got audio with VooDooHDA. It's the best I can get working, but it doesn't support the optical out. I've tried a ton of stuff, even going so far as to try manually setting my PinConfiguration by pulling them from Windows 7.

I just don't get your difficulties. I always found voodooHDA to be flaky and incomplete. I wish I knew what else was keeping you from fully working audio with my DSDT and AppleHDA.kext and legacy889HDA.kext...

I've also seen that my display locks up completely when I plug my HDTV into the video card. This happens when I plug it in to the HDMI port or if I use an HDMI-DVI adapter and plug it in to the DVI port.

Yup. See this thread I've been working on...

I also still can't sleep, or rather wake from sleep. This wouldn't be a problem, except that even though I set the machine to never sleep, it still sleeps sometimes.

Try pressing the power button to wake from sleep. if i use keyboard or mouse, the machine awakes but the screen and usb and ethernet doesn't come on...

Still, I've got my GeekBench64 score at 10068 and my CPU idle temps at 39, 39, 34, and 34. You can Squeeze a couple of degrees of coolness out of the proc by turning on Dynamic VCore in the BIOS. I didn't notice that tweak my first time through d00d's power management thread.

I totally missed this too! thanks for the tip - I'm running a full 10º cooler even overclocked to 3.25ghz and under full load! (with geekbench scores of 11640). Woohoo! now I can finally push my OC a bit more...

howboutjoe

howboutjoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

I totally missed this too! thanks for the tip - I'm running a full 10º cooler even overclocked to 3.25ghz and under full load! (with geekbench scores of 11640). Woohoo! now I can finally push my OC a bit more...

You're gonna have to tell me how you pulled that off. I've never OC'd before so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I just don't get your difficulties. I always found voodooHDA to be flaky and incomplete. I wish I knew what else was keeping you from fully working audio with my DSDT and AppleHDA.kext and legacy889HDA.kext...

A friend of mine with a rev 1 said that he did the Legacy889HDA.kext and AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback from #####, which worked for him. I'll try that tonight.

Try pressing the power button to wake from sleep. if i use keyboard or mouse, the machine awakes but the screen and usb and ethernet doesn't come on...

I've tried that with no success. I may try a fresh install on a second disk this evening. Maybe not use kakewalk at all, and just use ##### with your DSDT.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy