Support Group for Confused Owners of the GA-X58A-UD3R **rev 2.0**

660 posts in this topic

updated to 10.6.4 and installed the audio fixes / reinstalled ethernet drivers and all is working. Thanks for the i7 920 specific dsdt!

next goal is 100% working in 64bit mode.

econ3000

x58a-ud3r rev. 2.0

i7 920

12GB DDR3 1600

msi n260GTX

Looks like you have the *exact* same hardware as me... not sure why you're having so much trouble. I just realized I've actually got sleep working - i just have to wake up the box with the power button (usb devices don't seem to wake everything up).

Only new stuff is the tonymac JMicron36xSATA.kext (so the sata controller doesn't appear as "unknown") and d00d's modded fakesmc.kext in S/L/E simply for its support of temp, fan and voltage monitoring in iStat Menus.

Other than that, everything's just as I've posted earlier, 10.6.4 update and all...

E/E:

- Legacy889HDA.kext

- OrangeIconFix.kext

- JMicron36xSATA.kext

S/L/E:

- AppleHDA.kext (10.6.4 patched)

- fakesmc.kext (d00d 1.8.1 mod) - note: the older fakesmc.kext in E/E works just fine too

I just tried your DSDT and all those kexts, except the OrangeIconFix, whihc I don't have, and still crazy coreaudio. It was literally crackling every second and dumping this to the kernel.log:

Jun 18 19:27:09 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:10 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:10 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:11 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:12 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:12 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:13 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: river.DspFuncLib(1.8.7f1)@0x88f71000
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.7.6fc2)@0x88b80000->0x88b97fff
Jun 18 19:27:14 hax0r kernel[0]: dependency: com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib(1.3)@0x7ede2000
Jun 18 19:27:15 hax0r kernel[0]: 8b80000->0x88b97fff

Do you mind posting a zip of your whole /Extra folder and the two kexts you've got in /S/L/E?

Thanks

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video). Ethernet is included, so remove any ethernet strings (including built-in) from your com.apple.boot.plist.

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

To make the CPU changes work correctly, add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist.

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>yes</string>

Identify your machine as MacPro4,1 in smbios.plist.

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

or just grab this fakesmc i've already modded:

macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip

Alright so I am a noob when it comes to this whole MAC thing. I've been trying to fig out how and where to install the DSDT file at. Would anyone like to just spend a new mins and try to explain it all to me. Thanks a million!!!

Ignore for now -- Work in Progress (testing out)....

Hardware:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB (896-P3-1257-AR Superclocked Edition)

Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

Install Guide:

Install OSX using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 2.0 Method.

Install 10.6.4 Combo Update and reboot and use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to boot again.

Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 2.0

[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 2.0:

UserDSDT option

Selected following to install:

UserDSDT (make sure DSDT.aml is on desktop)

System Utilities->Rebuild Caches

Advanced Options->Kexts:

Disk->Jmircron36X->JMicron36xSATA

Chameleon-> Chameleon 2.0RC4

Themes->Standard Chameleon

OSX Software-> Kext Helper b7

===================

Modify com.apple.Boot.plist add following entry (so that CPU specific changes in DSDT work):

<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>yes</string>

Modify com.apple.Boot.plist and remove ethernet strings (attached DSDT.aml takes care of ethernet?--testing)

Modify smbios.plist and change machine type (Identifies the machines better):

<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Install the three kexts (found in attached zip in this post) using Kext Helper b7 (found in applications):

AppleHDA.kext

fakesmc.kext (modified)

Legacy889HDA.kext

Install Realtek NIC driver (RTGNICv.2.0.4.pkg -- located in attachment) testing

Reboot.

Results:

GeekBench 9111

Not Working:

Not sure if this is a 10.6.4 thing or because of the recent itunes update, but now when running itunes my mouse will jump around every now and then. I'll be moving my mouse down a row of text and I can see it jumping a few lines (this is on a machine that matches the posts in this thread).

I've also recently installed iLife (not sure if that's a known issue).

I haven't tried disabling AppleUserUpstream yet because that seems like a really old issue - is that still a valid fix?

So, I've got audio with VooDooHDA. It's the best I can get working, but it doesn't support the optical out. I've tried a ton of stuff, even going so far as to try manually setting my PinConfiguration by pulling them from Windows 7.

I've also seen that my display locks up completely when I plug my HDTV into the video card. This happens when I plug it in to the HDMI port or if I use an HDMI-DVI adapter and plug it in to the DVI port.

I also still can't sleep, or rather wake from sleep. This wouldn't be a problem, except that even though I set the machine to never sleep, it still sleeps sometimes.

Still, I've got my GeekBench64 score at 10068 and my CPU idle temps at 39, 39, 34, and 34. You can Squeeze a couple of degrees of coolness out of the proc by turning on Dynamic VCore in the BIOS. I didn't notice that tweak my first time through d00d's power management thread.

nullspot, have you tried hooking yours to an HDTV? I know we have the same graphics card, so just curious.

So, I've got audio with VooDooHDA. It's the best I can get working, but it doesn't support the optical out. I've tried a ton of stuff, even going so far as to try manually setting my PinConfiguration by pulling them from Windows 7.

I just don't get your difficulties. I always found voodooHDA to be flaky and incomplete. I wish I knew what else was keeping you from fully working audio with my DSDT and AppleHDA.kext and legacy889HDA.kext...

I've also seen that my display locks up completely when I plug my HDTV into the video card. This happens when I plug it in to the HDMI port or if I use an HDMI-DVI adapter and plug it in to the DVI port.

Yup. See this thread I've been working on...

I also still can't sleep, or rather wake from sleep. This wouldn't be a problem, except that even though I set the machine to never sleep, it still sleeps sometimes.

Try pressing the power button to wake from sleep. if i use keyboard or mouse, the machine awakes but the screen and usb and ethernet doesn't come on...

Still, I've got my GeekBench64 score at 10068 and my CPU idle temps at 39, 39, 34, and 34. You can Squeeze a couple of degrees of coolness out of the proc by turning on Dynamic VCore in the BIOS. I didn't notice that tweak my first time through d00d's power management thread.

I totally missed this too! thanks for the tip - I'm running a full 10º cooler even overclocked to 3.25ghz and under full load! (with geekbench scores of 11640). Woohoo! now I can finally push my OC a bit more...

I totally missed this too! thanks for the tip - I'm running a full 10º cooler even overclocked to 3.25ghz and under full load! (with geekbench scores of 11640). Woohoo! now I can finally push my OC a bit more...

You're gonna have to tell me how you pulled that off. I've never OC'd before so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I just don't get your difficulties. I always found voodooHDA to be flaky and incomplete. I wish I knew what else was keeping you from fully working audio with my DSDT and AppleHDA.kext and legacy889HDA.kext...

A friend of mine with a rev 1 said that he did the Legacy889HDA.kext and AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], which worked for him. I'll try that tonight.

Try pressing the power button to wake from sleep. if i use keyboard or mouse, the machine awakes but the screen and usb and ethernet doesn't come on...

I've tried that with no success. I may try a fresh install on a second disk this evening. Maybe not use kakewalk at all, and just use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with your DSDT.

Hi everyone,

I have installed RealtekR1000.kext

is not working

MB: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0

Ethernet: Realtek 8111e PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

OS: 10.6.3 snow 64 bit kernel -->but it don't support 64 bit :(

How can i fix it?

Hi everyone,

I have installed RealtekR1000.kext

is not working

MB: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0

Ethernet: Realtek 8111e PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

OS: 10.6.3 snow 64 bit kernel -->but it don't support 64 bit :D

How can i fix it?

Until Realtek releases a 64 bit version 2.0.4 AppleRTL8169Ethernet, or Bit Shoveler updates RealtekR1000SL for 8111E, you could use the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter - network adapter, Mfg. Part: EXPI9301CT, it's $40 or less.

It's supported by IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Intel82574L.kext.

Hey, guys. I followed what you did in the post to a T, i was putting in the new patched kexts for sound and repaired using a kext utility. that went smoothly. i went to restart and got the message u need to restart your pc in like 5 languages.

After that it would not boot again at all had some kind of kernel pnaic with darwin.

does anyone no anything about this I'm stumped -_-

I have the same setup (rev 2 board, i7-930) and the DSDT worked like a champ. The only issues I have right now are with my video card. I have an eVGA GTS 250, which I've read is similar to the GTX 9800. I have two DVI outputs and I'm using a DVI to HDMI convertor into my monitor. My only complaint is that I can only get 1024x768 out of the card, and occasionally (using some of the settings below) 1280x1024. My monitor is capable of 1080p.

I've tried a bunch of combinations (reset after each attempt--I'm not combining all of these):

With com.apple.Boot.plist:

• Custom EFI string
  • GraphicsEnabler=yes as a Kernel Flags
  • GraphicsEnabler as an entry (key w/ a string of Yes)

I've tried using NVEnabler 64.kext, NVInject.kext, and ATY_Init.kext, separately.

I've added my device ID to NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, and GeForce.kext (all at same time). I've also tried adding my device ID to each individually.

I've attempted to edit my DSDT.aml file according to the instructions in DSDTSE--applying two "hacks"; one for DTGP and one for the GTS 250. The hacks are incomplete, a few functions and references are missing. I've pieced together some code from various other sources and actually got the hacks compiled and the DSDT working (though admittedly I'm not sure that I hacked together so I will probably go back to your DSDT).

None of the above get me my 1080p, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I noticed a few other graphics cards in the signatures--a 9800GT Silent Cell and a 285GTX. Are both/either of these cards running or capable of 1080p or at least a higher resolution? I'd like to use as much real estate on my monitor, even if I have to buy a new card.

Thanks for providing the DSDT as well!

Edit: I'd switched to 64bit after doing the 10.6.4 upgrade.

Edit: How did you get the 9800GT running? EFI? DSDT? NVInject? I suspect my issues stem from 64bit...

jay

So I've finally jumped into the DSDT mess and built a custom DSDT for the rev2.0 x58a-ud3r board and the i7-930 proc. I didn't include any fixes for video (GraphicsEnabler=yes takes care of basic video).

x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip

This was all done according to d00d's excellent (if overwhelming) guide, and the performance I'm seeing is better than the soemo DSDT that was posted earlier. Even startup is quite faster. System is also very stable.

** Note: you need to make the following changes to your .plists:

macpro4_1_fakesmc.kext.zip

Thank you so much for your hard work and awesome edits! You made the process much easier. I've been using your dsdt for the last week or so without issue. Thank you!

With the dsdt you attached above you said that you didn't include and fixes for the video. Did you make any changes to the video in general. Specifically (Pci0) or Pci0.expl ? I'm asking because like Jayco437 i'm having dual monitor support issues. I've tried the "standard" kext's and i've tried to add the dsdt info from aed0101 on this thread (post #4), both with no luck. I think the contents of post #4 might be heading in the right direction, but I don't know how to properly test it with the way your dsdt is setup. When i looked at your dsdt for pci0 and pci0.expl I don't see any reference to multiple monitors and i'm at a bit of a loss as to why the pci0.expl information isn't part of the pci0 device information.

I know this isn't your issue but i would be grateful if you could provide and insight into the matter.

Respectfully,

Curt

My rig:

X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

930 - Base 200 X19 3.8Ghz stable

6 Gigs GSkill Ripjaw @ 1600

Cooler Master 212 Push and Pull (Replaced the fans) 65C MAX @ CPU=100% on 8 threads

MSI 250 1G TwinFroster (Dual DVI out) -

Edit: How did you get the 9800GT running? EFI? DSDT? NVInject? I suspect my issues stem from 64bit...

I literally added none of d00d's edits in DSDT for video. My 9800GT works perfectly (as a single monitor/no hdmi) at 1900x1200 with full QE, etc. with nothing but GraphicsEnabler=Yes on my AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader. I am also *not* using 64-bit boot mode. I probably could at this point (I bought a separate ethernet card) but haven't felt the need...

Thus I have no idea why your video is so limited...

I have a Rev 2 board, I tried all the other DSDTs posted on this thread, but one I had originally used on a Rev 1 board worked best for me (lower temps and better overall functionality). I have everything working including Sleep. Only problem, of course, is that the Ethernet only works in 32-bit. Workaround is to get a cheap $10 PCI Ethernet card or a cheap $10 Wireless USB Adapter. (I'm using wireless).

I'm betting a lot of issues people are having are related to driver installations and not only DSDT. This is what I did to get my rig up and running:

I did a fresh install from an existing Mac. Used UInstaller to install 10.6, then the 10.6.4 combo update. Then used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to install all the necessary drivers, these are the options I checked under the "Advanced Options Tab" in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]:

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Audio-­‐-­‐-­‐>LegacyHDA-­‐-­‐-­‐>ALC889

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Audio-­‐-­‐-­‐>HDAEnabler-­‐-­‐-­‐>ALC889

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Audio-­‐-­‐-­‐>AppleHDA 10.6.2

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Disk-­‐-­‐-­‐>IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (fixes the orange hard drive icons)

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Graphics-­‐-­‐-­‐>NVEnabler

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Network-­‐-­‐-­‐>RealtekR1000SL (doesn't really help us Rev 2 people, but good to have anyway...)

Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Miscellaneous-­‐-­‐-­‐>fakesmc

Chameleon-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Chameleon 2.0 RC4

com.apple.boot.plist-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>64-­‐bit Apple Boot Screen

smbios.plist-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>iMac11,1-­‐-­‐-­‐>Core i7

Themes-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Standard Chameleon

I then copied my DSDT into the Extra folder, and also over-wrote the 'smbios.plist' file in Extra with one that identifies the machine as the latest Mac Pro, but with an i7 processor. My DSDT and smbios.plist files are attached to this post.

Note about Video: I was originally using a 9800 GT. But it had annoying issues. It hooked up fine to my monitor through DVI, but as soon as a used a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to take it to my TV, the screen went blank after the Apple boot logo. I looked it up and turns out that's a common issue with a lot of video cards (and I couldn't find a single fix). I also tried a GTS 250 and got the same issues (works fine with DVI, but no-go on HDMI). So I stick with my GT 240 'cause it just plain works without any extra futzing. A 9500 GT is also good too.

Anyway, hope all this helps. If only they came out with 64-bit versions of the Ethernet driver, we'd be set.

You can get [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].zip

X58A_UD3R_Rev_2.zip

argh! the trendnet card is not working either. It detects in sl 64bit but is just not working. I can't get dhcp and when I set a manual IP, I can see traffic going out of the interface with tcpdump but no return. Can anyone recommend a working 1000 NIC for 64bit snow leopard? Wish I saw that rev 2 mb's had this problem before buying :/

Hello guys, and thank you for a good thread.

I also have rev 2.0

My setup:

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

Intel i7 920

H50 cooling

9800GT Silent Pipe.

3x2GB SuperTalent 1600MHz

Kakewalk installation.

My setup is almost identical to nullspot's, except for the CPU.

I have everything working except for sleep and sound.

Sound is more important for me.

I am using nullspot's DSDT.aml for 920.

I tried installing both kexts that nullspot provided in correct place, but I don't seem to get it to work.

I get no devices in Output or Input under the Sound tab in System Preferences.

Any ideas?

Hello guys, and thank you for a good thread.

I also have rev 2.0

My setup:

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

Intel i7 920

H50 cooling

9800GT Silent Pipe.

3x2GB SuperTalent 1600MHz

Kakewalk installation.

My setup is almost identical to nullspot's, except for the CPU.

I have everything working except for sleep and sound.

Sound is more important for me.

I am using nullspot's DSDT.aml for 920.

I tried installing both kexts that nullspot provided in correct place, but I don't seem to get it to work.

I get no devices in Output or Input under the Sound tab in System Preferences.

Any ideas?

Hi,

My sound is lost after upgraded to 10.6.4, and I rollback the kext to 10.6.2 to get it back.

select "Advanced Options Tab" in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]: Kexts-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐>Audio-­‐-­‐-­‐> Rollback to 10.6.2

Install & Reboot. Hope this can help.

Y.S.

Thanks for all the help.

My hardware is very similar to most here.

GA-X58A-UD3R rev 2.0

Intel i7 930

9800GT

3x2GB G.Skill 1600MHz

I have two problems. First is sleep, which works before I install the RTGMac_v2.0.4 package for the 8111E, but not after. Second, the front panel audio header is not working properly in OSX, but is correct when booting windows. I used the patched AppleHDA + Legacy889HDA kexts from post #38.

Hi there.

I´ve got this mobo GA-X58-UDR3 rev 2.0. and i7 930, ASUS Engts 250 graphic card

I´ve installed Snow Leopard using EmpireEfi and installed myHack. (havent updated to 10.6.4 yet)

I Used RTGNICv2.0.4 for ethernet and it works.

Legacy889HDA.kext, AppleHDA.kext,

VoodooHDA.kext together made 889 work fully(i think).

I did try some Geforce drivers but it doesn´t seem to change anything. GTS 250 seems to work ootb.

I tried installing Envy24_SL64bit_0.20 for my Audiophile 2496 card but that doesn't work for some reason.

About this mac reports wrong hertz for my memory, should be 1333 DDR3 but is reported as 667 DDR2

Apart from that everything seems to work just fine.

So my question is: What exactly will I gain from using " x58_ud3r_rev2_dsdt.zip" and modified "smbios.plist"?

and secondly is it as simple as putting the DSDT in the "Extra/Extension" folder(and change com.apple.Boot.plist" and reboot?

I didn´t dare to use the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] user dsdt as it seems to install new bootloader which could conflict with myhack.

I just ordered this processor (930) and board (not sure if it is going to be a 2.0 or not, but probably is) from newegg, along with 12GB of Cosair XMS RAM, and a GTX 260. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread as the parts roll in on Tuesday. I've only successfully done two laptops and they are exactly the same spec-wise (Dell E1705). I used the bootcd method with chameleon on the efi partition with a few kexts in E/E and 2 in S/L/E. No DSDT and video through NVInject_64. Other than the addition of the DSDT posted here, and possibly an EFI string, can I use the same method (bootcd and chameleon for the coming install in a couple of days? I am kind of confused because I see kakewalk and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], and am not sure what they are (still researching). Thanks for any help you can give. Also will I be able to do 64-bits to take advantage of all 12 GB? Thanks!