[GUIDE] How to install Snow Leo on ASUS Z8NA-D6

185 posts in this topic

Hey guys, geez its been almost a year since I was on this forum. Peach-os, cjhmdm, hope all is well. I was inspired with the new progress and since i got some new software to install on my machines i thought I would start tonight and install Lion and see how it went.

I had good luck with the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] before, so i opted to use tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a OSX Lion thumb drive i got at the apple store to try and upgrade one of my z8na-d6's with the e5520 cpu's. It went pretty well. i didn't even remove any memory (i have 12gb) or disable one of the cpu's.

Next I used Mutibeast 4.1.0 to install the same DSDT that i got from peach a while back and was using on this machine running SL. It started locking up at booting from the drive (using the latest chimera boot loader) so i removed the DSDT.

at this point everything started working pretty good, and note i had no custom DSDT installed. I got about a 12700 on geekbench and the main difference was that sleep started working for me where it never had before. so I installed all my apps as i will make a clone of the drive with copycat and then install it on my other machines like i did before. Then i started to notice that shutdown wasn't working. it would turn off the screen. but the lights on the front and the fan would stay on....

I tried EverBoot (or whatever that kext is) but it wasn't helping it shutdown and actually seemed to make the boot time take a bit longer. So i downloaded the DSDT from Peach that he updated on the first page- " UPDATED Version workin with 10.6.8 / bios 902 - working sleep S0"

That seemed to do the trick. Sleep works, shutdown, restart. and the geek bench scores bumped up to a 12990

So Just to note. I am using Chimera as the boot loader and got the system up and running with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 4.1.0. when using mutibeast i used the userDSDT option which should work with the DSDT updated on the first page of this forum. oh and i did update to 10.7.2

I do have some questions about the DSDT however. I have a few z8na-d6 machines that i will be updating besides this one with the e5520's. I will also update a machine with e5620's and a machine with a few x5650's. so i will need to get DSDT's that will work well for these aswell.

I haven't had them time to really get into understanding how to patch DSDT (although i should but i really just need these machines to work, and after i got them working last year they did a lot of work for me without me having to even think about em) I saw the post that cjhmdm left about the LION update and it had some link to a DSDT auto patcher. unfourtently i don't seem to have acsees to that post (which i can also see why as just blindly monkeying around with your DSDT is probably not good)

I was wondering though cjhmdm, if you used this auto patcher or weather MaLd0n did it specific for you. I can grab the one you posted for my 5620's, but i guess ill need some help with the x5650's. maybe i just need to learn how a different CPU type affects the DSDT anyways.....???? although fun, I only have a week off here to get things in good order at home and then back to work again. hopefully though i can use the home farm on this project.

anyways sorry for the long babbling post. Thanks to Peach and cjhmdm again. and if you guys have any advice for helping my get a DSDT in order for my x5650's let me know.....

• 1 month later...

ahhh finally :-) I decided to try my chance again but going directly to Lion (encouraged by the message of auze1) and this was a great idea since everything seems to work fine there with the laters dsdt from peach-os.

So thanks to both of you !!!!!!

Hi Folks,

I've been reading through all of your posts as I have a similar hack build underway.

I'm using the Z8NA-D6 Mobo, and bought (2) Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz processors.

I got Kalway to finish installing, but upon reboot the screen goes black and it shuts down.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 card installed, but I also tried swapping out my NVIDEA 8400 with the same result.

I've also tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy) with the retail install, and iAtkos S3 v2 (which I used successfully to build an 8 core xeon on an HP server board recently)

Same thing each time, the machine shuts down just a few seconds in to any OS X boot

Any ideas?

I notice people have used 5500 series processors, but no 5600.. think that's a problem? Would I have better luck with Lion?

Thanks,

Matt

if you would read through the topic you could have realized that a few guys had the same problems. westmere cpus are supported with snow leo 10.6.3 - so no chance with initial kalyway installation method or early snow leo versions using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I've been reading through all of your posts as I have a similar hack build underway.

I'm using the Z8NA-D6 Mobo, and bought (2) Xeon E5620 Westmere 2.4GHz processors.

I got Kalway to finish installing, but upon reboot the screen goes black and it shuts down.

I have a Radeon HD 5450 card installed, but I also tried swapping out my NVIDEA 8400 with the same result.

I've also tried using ###### (and ###### legacy) with the retail install, and iAtkos S3 v2 (which I used successfully to build an 8 core xeon on an HP server board recently)

Same thing each time, the machine shuts down just a few seconds in to any OS X boot

Any ideas?

I notice people have used 5500 series processors, but no 5600.. think that's a problem? Would I have better luck with Lion?

Thanks,

Matt

i'm using Z8NA-D6 + 2 x E5630

install with snow leopard than update to lion 10.7.3

running normally now.

Are you sure you read the entire topic? Even if not - the answer for the same question is just before yours !?

We gave the answer to it a few times in this topic......the problem might be sitting in front of your computer ;)

• 7 years later...
Good morning all ,
I restart the subject on the Z8na-D6 with installation of Mojave?
my config
Z8NA-D6  : last bios 1303
cpu 2 xeon  E5620
Ram 24GB ECC
RX580 pulse sapphire
i am trying to install mojave, but i have often panic CPUs.
if I put CPU = 1 then it goes but for a moment I have no screen, black screen

thank's Phil

• 8 months later...

Good morning all,
I got to installed Mojave on the Z8NA-D6.
or I block, it is with the Mio card which is an ALC892,
I have already tried a lot of things and reinstalled Mojave several times because I was changing files in the S / L / E and that made it unstable.

my config now:

Bios 1303

cpu 2 xeon X5675

Ram 48Gb ECC

saphire pulse Rx580 8Gb 

Mio card audio

JMT Adaptateur Ethernet USB 3.0 HUB USB 3.0 à 3 Ports  and Lan Ethernet PCI

thank's Phil