[GUIDE] How to install Snow Leo on ASUS Z8NA-D6

185 posts in this topic

with carbon copy cloner you have to reinstall chameleon manually.

you could use copcatX - this copies all 100% - but it makes only sense if the HDs have same size

btwy - is your sleep workin? Mr. Donker didn´t get back with any responses............

Yes my good sir. Sleep does work, shutdown is iffy. hit or miss. Restart works.

thanks for the help. trying copycatX now.

oraton

Yes my good sir. Sleep does work, shutdown is iffy. hit or miss. Restart works.

thanks for the help. trying copycatX now.

oraton

shutdown works only with fix in dsdt.........

sleep does work? S3? with Sleepenabler? what dsdt are you using ? the one I attached?

which kexts do you have in extra?

if yes: we should compare our bios / settings - and I would need an IOReg dump please..... :)

Hello peach-os,

First and foremost, thank for this guide. I'm currently building my hardware specifically around this guide so I hope all goes well once the hardware arrives :(

I do have one question that I didn't see mentioned here... what do you do for sound, if anything?

I was thinking of picking up the ASUS MIO-AUDIO 888 Sound Card but wanted to confirm if this is working or not? If not, which would be the best option to go with as far as sound is concerned?

Thanks very much for your time and I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

I´m using this machine for my studio with a firewire audio device.

I wouldn´t take the the MIO - pretty sure it won´t work ( I still don´t know if it´s a HDA or not)

Imho the best solution: get an usb audio stick and plug it on the usb slot that is available directly on the mainboard.

that way you can choose a 100% working solution and less expenive than MIO :)

Thanks for the info :(

I did some looking around and decided to go with this sound card The chipset is supported so I hopefully won't have any probs with it.

I decided to go ahead and grab the MIO card as well since it's only $25, in the event I install windows on this machine as well. Unlikely but since I'm stuck ordering online, shipping to a friend who will in turn ship to me.. I'd like to get as much as I can in one go.

Thanks again for the info. I do really appreciate it.

Here's what I'll likely be going with when it comes purchase time (a few more weeks):

ASUS Z8NA-D6 Mobo

Intel Xeon E5506 Nehalem-EP 2.13GHz CPU (x2)

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 RAM (x2 - 12GB total)

MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC GeForce GTS 250 Video Card

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W PSU

Hi Peach

Thanks for your great guide. I currently have the same problem with the e5620 and unable to boot into SL. I have 10.6.4 combo update installed to the hard drive with 10.4.0 Vanilla kernel. The BIOS setting is set up just as you provided and my BIOS chip is up to date. I played around with the files you've provided and no luck yet.

When I boot into it, the apple icon on gray screen shows up, but the loading circle does not. When I do verbose logging it load everything in and than changes to a black screen and stays there. At this point I am not sure whether it is SL that does not recognize the processor or whether its not recognizing my video card (Nvidia GeForce GT 240)?

Has anyone successfully runned SL on a Z8NA-D6 board with a pair of Xeon e5620? Will it just not be compatible? Any inputs or help will appreciated. Thanks :) .

Hi Peach

Thanks for your great guide. I currently have the same problem with the e5620 and unable to boot into SL. I have 10.6.4 combo update installed to the hard drive with 10.4.0 Vanilla kernel. The BIOS setting is set up just as you provided and my BIOS chip is up to date. I played around with the files you've provided and no luck yet.

When I boot into it, the apple icon on gray screen shows up, but the loading circle does not. When I do verbose logging it load everything in and than changes to a black screen and stays there. At this point I am not sure whether it is SL that does not recognize the processor or whether its not recognizing my video card (Nvidia GeForce GT 240)?

Has anyone successfully runned SL on a Z8NA-D6 board with a pair of Xeon e5620? Will it just not be compatible? Any inputs or help will appreciated. Thanks :P .

Sounds like your video drivers (or lack thereof) aren't working (or are missing).

Try booting with -v -x at bootloader prompt.

If you successfully boot into SL then you'll need to install (or replace) some graphics drivers, or efi strings, or w/e.. Search around for what works with your card.

as I wrote earlier it is very hard for me to give much help with 5620ies - only if someone is willing to send me some for free ;)

afaik they should be supported since 10.6.4 - can you confirm that cjhmdm?

if they are really supported there are two possibilities:

1. graphics as cjhmdm said before

2. you are using my provided dsdt what you shouldn´t - this dsdt was made with the 5520ies!

I should be able to swing those into the budget.. but I'm still a few weeks away from being able to purchase so I won't be able to test for sure until then.

I'll do some research though and see if anyone else has had success with the 5620's, if at least 1 person has I'll fit them in over the 5520's and see if I can't get them working. Unfortunately, it's a time thing with me, so I won't be able to provide any first hand data until I can get the funds allocated for the purchase ;)

as I wrote earlier it is very hard for me to give much help with 5620ies - only if someone is willing to send me some for free ;)

if they are really supported there are two possibilities:

1. graphics as cjhmdm said before

2. you are using my provided dsdt what you shouldn´t - this dsdt was made with the 5520ies!

According to the specs here, real mac pros are using/supporting the 5620's, so maybe it's just a matter of figuring out the proper config.

what he needs to do is first drop your dsdt like you said earlier since it was compiled for a different cpu, try booting into safe mode - though even with your dsdt, if he's getting to a black screen then there's a chance booting with the -x flag (safe mode) might at least get him to a desktop. It's much better if he drops the dsdt though.

this post spawn said he's running 2x 6 core 5680's without issue, so the 5620's should work as well.

he also gives basic instructions in this post on getting SL up and running.. he's using a different mobo though, but christophism could try this method.

I'm thinking that christophism probably just needs to make a few adjustments and he'll be set. most importantly (sorry to reiterate) that he drops the dsdt (that can be dealt with later) and tries booting into safe mode (-v -x). once he tries these 2 things, we may end up with a better understanding of how to proceed.

I also found this post, this person was having the same black screen issue as christophism is having and said he solved it by "Just remove one processor to install!"

Thanks alot Peach and cjhmdm for your replies and information. I left out Peach DSDT and never had it in there to begin as this what he wrote in the earlier post, I replaced it with disabler. Still can't seem to get it to work. Booting as -X only shows the gray screen with the apple sign and freezes there. -V boot goes to black.

I am still looking around and seeing what I can find. I am not sure how dsdt is going to work, would you know any workaround for that, or is this I need to write my own :( ? According to Spawn's post he is using Tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 2.1.1. I will try that next and see if it works.

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep this thread posted if I have any improvement. Please keep it up to date if any you have any additional info.

For some reason I was just thinking about this... what if the 5620's aren't supported until 10.6.4? If he's installing the 10.6.3 dvd then perhaps that's why he can't boot? It may be a long shot... but is there a way to streamline the update to a 10.6.3 install without having first booted into 10.6.3?

For instance, say he goes through your guide, but instead of rebooting after installing 10.6.3, is it possible to install the update first?

For example:

C. Install Snow Leo

1.boot into HD 2 with options -v cpus=1

2.finish setup and copy Tinker Tool to desktop (you might need a second smaller USB drive)

3.format the HD1 you will use for SL with GUID

4.start Tinkertool, check show hidden files and apply.

5. now boot the SL DVD

6. in SL DVD go to System>installation>packages

7. start osinstall.mpkg and choose HD 1 to Install SL. uncheck the printer drivers, otherwise installation will fail.

8. install should be done in 30 minutes - don´t reboot

9. Download the 10.6.4 combo update and install to HD 1

10. install chameleon 431.mpkg to the new SL drive.

11. when done go to SL root and delete the "boot" file

12. copy the "boot" file from *chameleonRC3>i386 to SL root.

13. copy the working dsdt.aml to SL/ Extra

14. replace the kexts in SL/Extra/Extensions with the attached files

15. replace the com.apple.boot.plist in Extra with attached file (edit the serial in case - now its set to 012345...)

16. it won´t be possible to repair disk permission in SL, without the last step:

go to the SL DVD again and reinstall the BSD.pkg (also in System>installation) from the DVD.

17. now reboot

Only thing is, I'm not sure if this can be done ><

Since my retail dvd just arrived today, I'll be wiping my hazard distro install, so I'll go ahead and see if this will work. Now, my machine is AMD so I still won't be able to confirm whether or not this will address christophism's issue, or if it'll add the needed compatibility for the 5620's, but I think it'll at least give him another thing to try.

@ oraton and jack donker

you guys did use my guide but you are not willin to provide me the informations I need about sleep - this it is really sad, because this community lives from give and take :(

because i did everything that could solve the sleep issue and it´s still not working, I´m pretty sure it´s caused by some hardware I´m using......but how could I figure it out if I can´t compare???

Yes... Sleep would be AMAZING to finally get working... also does anyone know why it wont boot if you change it from Mac Pro 3.1 to 4.1? It seems like its booting fine then just stops right before going to desktop :)

Thank you so much Peach for ALL your help!

mine is booting with macpro 4.1

post-120974-1286117034_thumb.png

as far as I remember it was about preventing the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to load.

read about the kext functionality here

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102 (thanks again Maldon for refering to this list)

there are two possibilities:

1.delete the kext

2.was it patching the dsdt ?? hmmm.....I forgot :)

best would be you try my dsdt if you have also the 5520´s - otherwise compare

dsdt.aml.zip

P.S.: meanwhile I doubt they have sleep working - why not posting the information?

Thanks Peach

I have the E5530 Xeons... would that matter with your DSDT?

I have been using yours with my setup for almost a year now with no issues :)

I deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and that did the trick for making mine Mac Pro 4,1 :D

@Peach and christophism.. just to give you guys an update, I'll finally be purchasing my new parts this coming saturday. I'll be going with the 5620's since they're about the same price as the 5520's on newegg. It'll take about 2 weeks to arrive and then I'll get cracking on trying to get SL up and running.

I'll post back with my findings once I get there..

asus z8na-d6 does not support 5600 series CPU OOTB.

goto to newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131389

and look at the feedback.

"If it comes with the OLD BIOS which does NOT support 5600 series CPUs, call ASUS at 812-282-2787 op 1 then op 3. They can send you an updated BIOS chip.

$5 for the chip.

$15 for ground shipping (from IN)

$25 for overnight shipping

newegg may or may not issue you up to a $25 credit for this due to the title of the board stating 5600 series CPU support."

-Paul

People who are considering this SL build with 5600 series CPUs should get the BIOS chips from Asus before trying with 5600 series chips. neglect this fact and you'll waste a lot of time on grief and frustration.

Yeah, I noticed the trend with that as well. I'll be calling asus the moment my order reaches my friend in the states. Apparently you have to have the serial number handy so they can verify whether or not you need the new bios. It'll take 2-3 weeks for the mobo to reach me anyway, so I'll have plenty of time to order ahead.

Good advice those for those who may be interested in this board but aren't aware.

asus z8na-d6 does not support 5600 series CPU OOTB.

goto to newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131389

and look at the feedback.

"If it comes with the OLD BIOS which does NOT support 5600 series CPUs, call ASUS at 812-282-2787 op 1 then op 3. They can send you an updated BIOS chip.

$5 for the chip.

$15 for ground shipping (from IN)

$25 for overnight shipping

newegg may or may not issue you up to a $25 credit for this due to the title of the board stating 5600 series CPU support."

-Paul

People who are considering this SL build with 5600 series CPUs should get the BIOS chips from Asus before trying with 5600 series chips. neglect this fact and you'll waste a lot of time on grief and frustration.

Thanks Peach

I have the E5530 Xeons... would that matter with your DSDT?

I have been using yours with my setup for almost a year now with no issues :blowup:

I deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and that did the trick for making mine Mac Pro 4,1 :wacko:

hahaaa.....the radical way :)

if my dsdt worked before for you this one will do the job as well

I still doubt that there are any benefits for us using the macpro4,1 in smbios.plist - there are a few threads around that confirm that speedstepping works only with macpro3.1.

that´s also still an issue beside not working sleep. i can´t find the time to learn more about speedstepping and dsdt.

for many boards you will find a dsdt to compare and make it work - but not for this baby, that shows 32 processors in dsdt :angel:

we should figure out if the p-states would be also needed for the 16 virtual processors. the original macpro4.1 dsdt shows only 16 processors

@cjhmdm - sorry I didn´t see your post before from september :)

I think the best way would be to install the vanilla on an other system without any useles extensions - just to stay vanilla - apply only the important patches (disabler and fakesmc) update to 10.6.4 and migrate to your machine. I did that a few times, but unfortunately didn´t test it with this mainboard.