[GUIDE] How to install Snow Leo on ASUS Z8NA-D6

185 posts in this topic

using the newest RC5 version without the DropSSDT option boots without any issues on my machine. in this case p-states are available in registry explorer (look for AppleSMCPlatform and you will find powerstatearray with five different values).

Here is a screenshot of my IOReg. I used your DSDT and got rid of the DropSSDT line

does that look right?

post-572945-1288740512_thumb.png

I made a new post asking for help with sleep in the post install section, maybe somebody will come to the rescue.

I think generating C-states may be done using the following method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1143210

i may give this a shot. I dont have unbunto, but i have also seen a windows program that can exctract SSDT tables....

Hi auze1 and idoolit, I was wondering if any of you got the e5620 to work with both of the processors? What kind of video card are you using with your system. No matter what I do I keep getting a black screen when booting in verbose mode or a freeze in safe mode.

Please let me know any details you may have. I have been working on and off, but still can't get it to boot into 10.6.4. Thanks alot. Happy to see more people working on this.

I got both e5620's working very nicley. using a bad-ass 8400 GS.

Actually now that everything is working I have also pulled the card altogether and used screen sharing to log into the computer as well. the onboard graphics gpu seems to be recognized, cause when i looked at the graphics info it said 8mb of vram. I don't have a VGA adapter to test whether it works with a monitor but I thought I would mention that.

Christophism, are you using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] supported from Tonymacx? I am pretty sure you can boot of this even with both cpus installed and all the HT etc turned on. follow the guide on his website.

good luck!

Actually, I was working on the 5620's last night. with RC5 there some options to boot with a restart fix, so without a DSDT, restart and shutdown work fine, however P-state generation fails in the boot loader where as C-state generation works, at least i get a line that says "C states have been generated sucesfully" looking in IOregExplorer i can see CST info. however I think the cpus have 3 diffrent C states and this seems to be only one. In the Bios for the 5620's there is an option like CE1 enable/disable. if I disable that I dont get any CSTinfo in IOreg. even though "C states have been generated sucsessfully"

I am gonna try Dumping SSDT tables from windows today and bring those in...........

with the latest version of RC5 it´s generating c- and p-states perfectly on my rig.....but as you know I have the 5520ies

I can see c-states and p-states in my IOReg but still no throttling - I can´t proof it really

voodoomonitor doesn´t work on this machine - using the terminal command says that it´s still on the same frequency.

but yes.......temperature is 2° C lower for now

with the latest version of RC5 it´s generating c- and p-states perfectly on my rig.....but as you know I have the 5520ies

I can see c-states and p-states in my IOReg but still no throttling

Peach do you mind posting a screen shot of the IOReg, and the bdmesg output? (in Extra/utilities or something like that)

with the 5520's as a posted earlier I am getting the P-states and CSTinfo, however the bdmseg from Chameleon says P-states failed, but they are clearly there in the "performance state array"

BTW these are some good posts from Gringo about it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1525596

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1541277

Here is my IOReg and bdmesg Booting the 5520's with your DSDT and without "DropSSDT = Yes"

Peach do you mind posting a screen shot of the IOReg, and the bdmesg output? (in Extra/utilities or something like that)

with the 5520's as a posted earlier I am getting the P-states and CSTinfo, however the bdmseg from Chameleon says P-states failed, but they are clearly there in the "performance state array"

BTW these are some good posts from Gringo about it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1525596

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1541277

Here is my IOReg and bdmesg Booting the 5520's with your DSDT and without "DropSSDT = Yes"

BTW i just looked at the IOReg for my GA-EX58-udr3 box which sleeps very nicely, I see 10 P-states but nothing under CSTinfo......

bdmeg_DSDT_noDrop.rtf

post-572945-1288891430_thumb.png

Ok, so here we go... I can finally give an update.

After many weeks of waiting, I finally have my system up and running. For those who would like my specs.. here ya go:

Asus Z8NA-D6C (ofc)

2 x Intel Xeon 5620 2.4Ghz CPUs

12GB Kingston DDR3 1333

128GB Corsair SSD as system disk

Inno3D GTS 250 512MB 256B (1 DVI 1 Aux, I'm using the DVI)

I tried to follow Peaches guide to the letter, but ran into a problem at the kalyway step.. I couldn't get the damn dvd to boot for some reason.. I guess I burned it wrong and after having spent the last 16 hours cleaning my cases and transferring systems, my patience is worn thin ><

Anyhow.. since I don't yet have the usb stick from peach-os, I went ahead and tried to install from my AMD hack... and that's seemingly all she wrote.

Here's what I did to get it up and running.. nothing fancy or difficult.. and 99% of it is from peach's guide...

1. skip the bios changes and kalyway steps

2. Install SSD to AMD hack and follow steps 1-8 of "Installing SL" section

3. After setup completes, don't reboot.

4. Download and install 10.6.4 combo update, don't reboot

5. Download and install AnVAL bootloader

6. Replace the kexts in SL/Extra/Extensions with peach's attached files

7. Replace the com.apple.boot.plist in Extra with peach's attached file

8. As a precaution, I opted to repair disk and permissions before transferring the drive to the new machine.

9. reboot and move SL install to new system.

10. Install the attached IONetworkingFamily.kext to S/L/E with kextutility and reboot

11. ethernet wasn't working for me so I followed the fix guide, rebooted and now have internet.

And that's pretty much it...

I haven't done anything else as of yet (dsdt, etc).. will get around to that in a few hours when I wake up..

Thanks Peach-os !

I see memory detection works for you...thats cool !! it even gets your cas latency....

I never get the "p-states generated successfully" line. also I have 6 states, where as you have 8. I am thinking one of two reasons:

1) i think i still have EVOreboot in my kexts extensions

2) maybe i dont have the same DSDT file. you posted a couple right?

sorry to be a bother but do you mind posting your latest one? i supose i can also just look back though the thread and find you last one, as it hasnt chnged since then right?

anyway ill try later to see that those changes make a differnce. however it seems that we now have p-states and c-states, and still no sleep. Unless these are the wrong values for the states, i am kinda wondering what next......

If i cant get it working I may have to use windows......eggghgxggd ahahja ^^%%7 (((((shudder))))))

• 2 weeks later...

updating to 10.6.5 was no problem - just backup your IONetworkingFamily.kext before or edit the new one again as described in the guide (I would prefer doing that)

only issue: with chameleon RC5 my cpu speed in sysprofiler is 1,1 gig

• 2 weeks later...

So i was testing with geekbench-64 and was getting around 9400 a fair bit lower than other e5620 systems. after trying a couple things, i switch the model ident in the smbios.plist from 5,1 to 3,1. I got a 13867. I think this has to do with having speed stepping working properly. funny it has such a big effect. I would love to do a real world test with rendering a job to see if it actually makes a big impact. i will post results soon, as i will be getting my machines rendering this weekend.

anyways just thought i would mention it. I believe it is in peach-os original guidelines, but some of us get sidetracked...

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks for the guide peach, not sure if you can help me out (I've got E5620's) but it looks like some people have successfully booted with them.

I can get the kalyway 10.5.2 distro on HD2 fine - I make it all the way to step D2 but when I boot into HD1 I get a black screen.

I've tried the other suggestions you made,

1. try to boot with different options using -f -v -x -s arch=i386 cpus=1

2. leave only fakesmc in Extra if you have dsdt and try

3. try to boot without dsdt and disabler.kext instead in Extra

4. delete smbios.plist in Extra

5. try newest chameleon or AnV´s bootloader

I can't install the 10.6.4 combo update to HD1 from HD2 because it won't continue on a non 10.6 os

I also tried the tonymac [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] guide but after putting in the SL dvd it crashes a few seconds later

could it be my gfx card (GTX 470)?

this is a common problem, because earliest OS that supports those cpus seems to be 10.6.4

also you can´t use my dsdt because it´s made for the 5520´s.

the only way it works is to install a working 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 on an other machine

only thing you need to boot is fakesmc.kext and disabler.kext in extra - no dsdt!

cjhmdm did it -so you might ask him for more details

thanks for the response, I actually used cjhmdm's little guide posted above. What I did was using my macbook I installed SL to an external firewire HD and the 10.6.4 upgrade. Then I booted kalyway and used disk utility to copy the external drive to my HD1.

Anyone else with 5620's all I can recommend is an external drive to install SL and the 10.6.4 upgrade to from an already working 10.6.4+ installation (apple or hackintosh)

• 2 weeks later...

hello Peach-os thanks for the guide :angel:

I finally can install my workstation with Mac OSX

Z8NA.D6 bios version 1002

1. I use a boot cd from tonymacx86 [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] nvidia

2. instaling snow leopard retail 10.6.0 using sata hdd to 2 (restore osx.dmg to hdd)

3. after entering the desktop directly update to 10.6.6 (do not restart)

4. Copy dsdt.aml From peach-os Link to your desktop

5. [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install version 3.0.3 with only select Install User DSDT

6. reboot and it's done :)

here I did not change the bios settings, I just change the settings a few com.apple.boot.plist to processor speed because I use 2x E5540.

but still can not sleep

Thanks All I appreciate :wink2:

correction.......me :thumbsup_anim:

yesterday I had my first spare time since months and decided to work on the sleep problem.

first the good news:

It looks like I found a solution for sleep !

the bad.....if it is: it works only in S0 - it doesn´t matter what hibernate mode you set

I could set more needed fixes in dsdt. thanks to MC for the hints in his dsdt files he pointed me to - inspiring work

......but it looks like he was wrong in one point.

he mentioned that S3 is missing in dsdt - for me it looks like this machine definitely doesn´t support S3, and after all the fixes and improvements with dsdt - deleting S3 in dsdt and some minor fixes in bios brought the breakthrough.

before we open the champagne bottles, let´s do some tests together.

therefore in first step I would suggest to test just the new dsdt without the bios settings - two reasons:

1. this way we could figure out together what changes in bios really made it work - maybe even not related to it

2. the pump and the fans of the WC in my rig keep still spinning because they are not connected to the mobo

- but monitors shut off and the firewire audio device also!

I´m able to wake the system with mouse or keyboard ( as usual with asus boards )

I`m really excited to see you results on aircooled systems

and here is the dsdt

dsdt.aml.zip

remember for 5520 cpu´s only! for other cpus copy the complete USB section (UHCI / EHCI) and WAK at the end of the file including the sleep states.

I saw your post last night and was excited to try it out.

I have had some problems with my 5520 machine as opposed to my 5620's. for some reason the memory was getting locked up or something and it wasn't rendering near as fast as the others. I figured it was maybe because i had really tweaked the bios a lot when i was playing around with things before. anyways just before i used your DSDT i went back to defaults, then back into ACHI mode. Things seemed good and i think it solved the memory issue i had, so i tried your new DSDT next.

unfourtently nothing changed for me. same results.

any ideas ?

what is your result exactly?

Same as always. I selected sleep from the menu, screen goes blank, fans stay on. moving the mouse or hitting keys does not brink it back.

my bdmesg is attached and a screen shot of my extra folder is attached. I am using RC5, forget which version

Can you clarify what you mean by S0. I tried to look it up but this doesnt make much sense:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007...r-states-s0-s5/

as it states that S0 is when the computer is on running normaly.

post-572945-1295719621_thumb.png

bdmesg.rtf

You´re right - I was writing my last post veeeery late in the night (almost morning) and wasn´t clear enough.

If you leave S3 sleep in dsdt, you should see in dmesg acpi states [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

once booted it doesn´t matter what hibernate mode you set in OS X it seems to use hibernate mode 3.

exception is that S4 sleep seems to work - but it´s not useful, because it´s almost the same as shutdown and

it will reboot when you press the powerbutton.

If you delete S3 sleep in dsdt, you should see in dmesg acpi states [s0 S4 S5] (S0)

now it looks like any hibernate mode you set, it will use hibernate mode 0 in any case. (what´s clearly a difference to S0 - sorry for the confusion)

tonight I will post my bios settings