ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

artkrime

141 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well after much trial and error have a full working Lion install. This was very difficult and lost my Leopard drive three times before getting correct.

Its best to not install over Snow to partition out two more drives one about 8 gig for the the installer the other your choice anything you desire. Mine is 125 gig. Anyway install lion to the installer partition. Then reboot. Now Lion at this point is not installed. Go back to Snow go to your apps folder and show package contents of the Lion app. Should see a folder called sharedsupport. If you don't see it you down loaded from torrent. This file is missing in every torrent I downloaded. I tried about 7 different torrents none had it but your more than welcome to waste time downloading. I bought the lion installer from app through the app store. Next you go into the Shared support file and you will see Install ESD.DMG mount this. Next download an app called xmove. This is pretty striaght forward choose your lion installer again for the location of install. Let it decompress lion installer to the installer partition. Now you will need [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to finish. You need the chrimeria bootloader. This will not harm the Snow partition but that is where you will stick that. Just choose [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for now. This installs all the files to get the system ready to boot Lion installer. Now reboot at this point you should see that you have a new bootloader. Not as pretty as the old one but functional. Now boot the installer partition. If it doesn't boot or cycles and reboots with out loading then you've missed a step this hung me a few times. If app store says you cant install lion on this computer then you will probably need to do what I did. I downloaded Hazard distro 6.6i and reinstalled Snow. At this point I was able to buy lion. Now once lion is installed you may find no keyboard or mouse. Make sure you have spare usb around to get it through the registration. Now google pskext and and have fun a lion install. My original hazard install would not allow for a clean lion install nor could I even down load from app store. Best way to be sure is open app store chooce lion if it goes to a purchase screen your good. If it says cant install you might want to back up and install the above mention snow from hazard 6.6i. I know this is a terrible tutorial but the best I can come up with at this point. Side note never could install over snow it would hang every time. Second note lion is not installed from running it in snow it just decompresses some files. I installed the lion to my installer first then went to the app folder chose the show package contents and went to the sharedsupport folder and mounted the install esd.dmg.

Voodoops2Controller.Kext Voodootrackpad.kext voodoohda.kext. Have audio video should set boot flag to GraphicsEnabler=y [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] has an option. {censored} use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] in Lion once booted and from there you will find most the stuff you need. Voodoohda GraphicsEnaber=y bootflag will be going through my install method a few times to get the process completely worked out. Followed Tonymac install method adding only a few steps to fix issues that came up like my machine stalling while trying to install over snow. Also had difficult time with the installer not loading from app store. My fix for this is reinstall with Hazard 6.6i that was the only fix I found for that issue.

• 2 weeks later...

got mine working with Lion too

Everything I've tested so far is working (I'm missing SD Reader, HDMI and FireWire)

I've only been able to boot with arch=i386 flag. I don't know why, but trying to boot on 64 bit mode the computer will just keep loading.

Sound output is working, but input is not.

Sleep works fine, but sound crackles after resume. I have found some fixes to this (reloading kext on wake up) but haven't tried them.

Can anybody share the sound kext you're using? I tried every version of VoodooHDA in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but each of them gave me Kernel Panic. I understand this kexts are working on 64bit mode, but as I said, I haven't been able to boot other than 32 bit. Any clue on this?

Other than this, it is a pretty stable install, I think even more stable than my last SnowLeopard install.

Also, since SnowLeopard I'm having this bug on VoodooPS2Controller where pressing CapsLock and some other key at the same time freezes the whole keyboard and trackpad. The only way to go through this is connecting a USB mouse and keyboard to save my work and reboot.

I've disabled CapsLock key to prevent this and forced myself to get used to write capital letters with shift, but it would be nice to have my CapsLock key back again.

@bunc5224

if you have a 100% working install of Lion, could it be possible for you to make a backup of your kexts with OSX86 Tool and share it with the forum? please?

Since we all share specs and hardware, this could make it easier for others to install/reinstall Lion and have a less painful experience than what we've had. (I also lost my drive several times and tried for almost 2 weeks to get it working in a reliable way)

Thanks

Mine works booting in 64bit. Also I deleted sleepenabler didn't seem to work with snow for me either. Got rid of applehda.kext also. Have you used dsdt. Might be you issue with 64bit.

I know I said it was 64bit but going to check my 7805u Gateway I thought was using i386 switch but I might be wrong going to check and post back.

Mine works booting in 64bit. Also I deleted sleepenabler didn't seem to work with snow for me either. Got rid of applehda.kext also. Have you used dsdt. Might be you issue with 64bit.

I know I said it was 64bit but going to check my 7805u Gateway I thought was using i386 switch but I might be wrong going to check and post back.

Alright after much effort and a reinstall found that I also was booting arch=i386. I have fixed this issues. Had to go kext.com and download 64bit capable ps2 and touchpad kext. This fixed my issues with booting arch=x86_64. So now I have a 64bit os and software. It's functioning quite well although sleep doesn't work correctly and for some reason got a bios reset after going to sleep. I deleted sleepenabler.kext. Hoping this will fix this issue til someone comes up with a way to sleep correctly. Otherwise follow tonymacs blog and my couple of changes and should be able to get a good mac install. Have fun. I did.

• 1 month later...
Hey I replaced my IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext and now my mac partition wont boot up. I thought I had backed them up but i guess it didnt. Does anyone else have the 10.6.7 versions of these kexts from thier install I can use ?

Thanks!

PM me your email address and I will send them to you.

Alright after much effort and a reinstall found that I also was booting arch=i386. I have fixed this issues. Had to go kext.com and download 64bit capable ps2 and touchpad kext. This fixed my issues with booting arch=x86_64. So now I have a 64bit os and software. It's functioning quite well although sleep doesn't work correctly and for some reason got a bios reset after going to sleep. I deleted sleepenabler.kext. Hoping this will fix this issue til someone comes up with a way to sleep correctly. Otherwise follow tonymacs blog and my couple of changes and should be able to get a good mac install. Have fun. I did.

do you have a working VoodooHDA kext for 64bit? also can you link me to the 64bit ps2 kext? thanks

BTW I have working sleep and shutdown on my G53JW with patched DSDT, I believe its the EHCI patch that fixes sleep.

Adding

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0D)
                       {
                           "AAPL,clock-id", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }, 
                           "device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x05)
                           {
                               "EHCI"
                           }, 
                           "AAPL,current-available", 
                           0x04B0, 
                           "AAPL,current-extra", 
                           0x02BC, 
                           "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                           0x03E8, 
                           "AAPL,device-internal", 
                           0x10, 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

to your Device (EHC1) should fix it.

Okay I sent you a pm. Thanks alot!

I sent those last night let me know if you get them and they work for ya.

do you have a working VoodooHDA kext for 64bit? also can you link me to the 64bit ps2 kext? thanks

BTW I have working sleep and shutdown on my G53JW with patched DSDT, I believe its the EHCI patch that fixes sleep.

Adding

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0D)
                       {
                           "AAPL,clock-id", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x01
                           }, 
                           "device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x05)
                           {
                               "EHCI"
                           }, 
                           "AAPL,current-available", 
                           0x04B0, 
                           "AAPL,current-extra", 
                           0x02BC, 
                           "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                           0x03E8, 
                           "AAPL,device-internal", 
                           0x10, 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

to your Device (EHC1) should fix it.

I googled them specifically for 64bit. Think that I got the ps2 kext from kext.com and the voodoohda kext from voodoo's site. I might be wrong. I tried for several hours with diff kext to get it up and going. Then my hd drive pooped out on me last week. So Im also on the hunt again for the kext. I will let ya know where I get them this time. Been a long process.

• 2 months later...

I was successful in making my Asus G72GX update all the way to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with everything working. I used the ModCD + Snow Leopard install to get this done. It was actually very painless once I discovered this way to do it. However, I am trying to update my G72GX to Lion. I've purchased it from the Mac Store and tried to do both xMove and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I come to the same problem, it will boot to Lion's installer welcome screen where it asks you to choose your language and I can't get past that. My trackpad works in that I can move the mouse but my left click, right click and tap to click functions don't work. Neither does the keyboard. I've tried plugging in USB keyboards and mice but they have the same effect. I can move the cursor with the mouse but click functions don't work. The USB keyboard doesn't respond either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I found a raw file for USB Install for Mountain Lion. I wanted to install directly on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but it stopped at "System uptime in nanoseconds".

With disk utility in the installer, I erased Snow Leopard partition again with HFS+, and installed on that partition.

After that I installed Chameleon, it starts with 10.8.0.

The thing is the boot loader is designed for MBR I guess, therefore yo uare not able to see after partition 4, so if you have partition 5, 6, so on; you are not able to see it.

I haven't checked anything much. Just installed FakeSMC.kext. I don't know what it is.

To install raw to USB, use terminal in snow leopard

First, partition the USB to 1 partition as free space though. Otherwise, it didn't work on mine (Using disk utility)

diskutil list

That is to see which disk is the USB. You will see something like /dev/disk3 (I am writing as it is disk3, it maybe different on your Mac)

sudo umount /dev/disk3

If it says it is not mounted, never mind.

sudo dd if=location of the raw file(use get info if you are not sure; at the end it should be /filename.raw) of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m

Then just wait it to finish. Then you will have your USB Installer.

It fits in a 8GB.

I do not know of anyway to see the partitions 5 and over.

I don't know if 10.8.1 is released, because software update didn't show any updates.

It is able to install on G72 with no boot options (Snow Leopard needed cpus=1)

There is a tutorial here

http://olarila.com/f...php?f=27&t=1627

but you can just boot with usb, select usb to start, partition your mac drive to one partition as free space by disk utility if you haven't yet, then just install.

After the install, There is an Extra folder in the dog of the Extra folder in the USB; put that directly where your Mac Partition is, let's say it is called ML; put it directly /ML/.

Then find the latest Chameleon, or something better and install it.

Or use Chameleon wizard from the tutorial.

I still didn't do anything about SMBIOS.pllist. I don't know what needs to be done about it or what is it.

You can use Kext wizard from the tutorial to unpack the mkext file in the extra folder to the desktop and again by using kext wizard to install FakeSMC.kext.

I don't know what it is for though. Tutorial said it is always needed. I haven't tried other kexts yet.

Before doing all of this, I suggest you to backup your Snow Leopard partition if you want to go back.

And also after the installation of Mountain Lion, without doing anything (even without installing Chameleon), you can also back up Mountain Lion partition, but installation didn't seem that hard.

I don't know how much it will work.

525] Model Name: MacBook Pro

525] Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

525] Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

525] Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

525] Number of Processors: 1

525] Total Number of Cores: 2

525] L2 Cache: 3 MB

525] Memory: 6 GB

525] Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

525] Boot ROM Version: MBP41.0073.B00

525] SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

875]Firmware Revision: AS02

875] Interconnect: ATAPI

875] Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)

875] Profile Path: None

875] Cache: 1024 KB

875] Reads DVD: Yes

875] CD-Write: -R, -RW

875] DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

875] Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

875] Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose File > Refresh Information

65]
FireWire Bus:

65] Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

575]
Asus GTX 680:

575] Chipset Model: Asus GTX 680

575] Type: GPU

575] Bus: PCIe

575] Slot: Slot-1

575] PCIe Lane Width: x16

575] VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

575] Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

575] Device ID: 0x0618

575] Revision ID: 0x00a2

575] ROM Revision: 62.92.83.00.0A

575] Displays:

65]
Display:

65] Resolution: 1600 x 900

65] Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

65] Main Display: Yes

65] Mirror: Off

65] Online: Yes

65] Built-In: Yes

65]As you see graphics shows as some ASUS thing.

65]Even though system profiler shows as MAcBook Pro 4.1

65]Overview at About this Mac shows as iMac Summer 2001

Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics Asus GTX 680 1024 MB

Software OS X 10.8 (12A269)

I hope we can make Mountain Lion work correctly on ASUS G72 (even with Core 2 Duo).

Not being able to see partition 5 and over is pretty bad, but I believe there should be solutions for that.

I just wanted to share my experience.

Have a good morning.

• 4 years later...

I really hate to necrobump a thread this old but I've been trying for days to get Snow Leopard to install on my old G72GX and no matter what I do I can't get it to boot the installer. Doesn't matter what boot flags I use I end up with a kernel panic that states (cpu 0 caller) "kernel_trap with 64-bit state"@/VoodooKernel/xnu-1228.7.58/osfmk/i386/trp.c:340

I've tried -x arch=i386 maxmem=4096 cpus=1, basically every argument there is and I get the same KP.

I'm running on the 0602 bios (though when I started I was on the 0303 bios)

One thing to note is the dvd drive doesn't work so I'm having to do this via USB. I have a bootable USB with Clover and the 10.6.1-.2 hazard distro.

EDIT: Got some help from nawcom in the chat. Using ModUSB I finally have it installing!