ASUS G72GX Notebook - Perfect Hackintosh!

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

IMUSXx

IMUSXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Here is the Archive of kext files you asked for.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9kh7ol

thx go to dustin 'bunc'

mixcal

mixcal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Here is the Archive of kext files you asked for.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9kh7ol

thx go to dustin 'bunc'

thanks to both of you!!
you guys rocks :(

now i'm going to experiment on my g72gx based on what i read here :D

capo_saric

capo_saric

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Hi to all! I just entered the forum as I saw there were other G72GX users trying to do the same as me... I really have to say this is the best laptop i could've asked for....
i've got snow leopard 10.6.4 and windows7pro running perfectly in this computer... i'm only having some trouble with kexts...hope any of you can help me

battery is not showing up correctly...i'm using voodoobattery for it as it is the only one that hasn't showed kernel panic ...
here's my problem: it seems like macosx is only detecting the battery status at which the laptop was when i logged in... this is, if i turn on the laptop running on AC, battery icon shows as charging and everything is fine, but as soon as I disconnect it and start running on battery, my screen dims (this is normal) AND my keyboard shotcurts stop working :D (no more keyboard light controlling, screen brightness or anything else)... oh and I almost forgot: battery icon keeps saying that battery is charging, fully charged, or whatever status it had when I turned on the laptop ¬¬

the same happens the other way, if I turn on the computer running on batteries, everything works fine, but as soon as I plug it in, keyboard shortcuts stop working and battery icon keeps saying i'm running on batteries...

i think that's the only problem i've come through by now... any help would be appreciated... and i'm willing to help with anything i can :D ... thanks!

EDIT: something else i would like to add to my battery issues: when I turn on the computer with only AC (battery not attached) and then attach it while still having the computer on, I get kernel panic =/... yeah, you may be thinking my battery kexts really suck... and you're right =/
hope someone can help me... I have been using the laptop at home as I'm on vacation, but starting tomorrow I will really depend a lot on my battery and I don't want to keep having this problems =/... thanks :D

thaiceman

thaiceman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Did any of you guys have any problems getting the audio to work?.

That's the only real problem I'm having so far managed to get it updated to 10.6.4 without any problems and got everything else that needs to work working but the on board audio is still being a pain in the ass.

From what I've been able to figure out the G72GX has:
Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Here's a little bit about my install:
OSX 10.6.3 Retail
Installed with Empire Efi v1085

The only extra Kext's I've used were for the video & wireless

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & thanks for the help ahead of time.

-Mike

Vicolepro

Vicolepro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Try VoodooHDA ! I have a G60J and it works (sound + mic).

thaiceman

thaiceman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Try VoodooHDA ! I have a G60J and it works (sound + mic).

Wow I feel like a dumbass now.... I should have looked but it seems I didn't already have that installed.

Now I have fully working sound lol..

capo_saric

capo_saric

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I'm also using VoodooHDA and it works great... the only problem I'm having with sound is that "crackling sound after sleep" issue that some people in the forum have been trying to solve... haven't tried any of those yet anyways...

JOKAWILD

JOKAWILD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:OVERCLOCKING EVERYTHING!!!! <br />
Hey everyone just wanted to let you guys know this is a great hackintosh laptop and this forum is amazing I found a fix for almost every issue so thnx to everyone especially for the cpus=1 info and the kext link. But still have some minor issues that hopefully someone has a fix for:

-battery icon status not working but percentage and time are
-trackpad not working but pointer works fine
-the charging or not charging issue on boot up but when you disconnect or connect the charger it doesn't change status

but other then that I love this laptop I've updated to 10.6.4 and it feels like a perfect MacBook pro!!! Oh by the way anyone have any tips to take advantage of my ssd. I have my osx on my ocz ssd 60gb. Thanks again!!! :D

theawesomeone

theawesomeone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay Guy's I am Really... Really new to installing OSX86 on any computer, though I have seem people do it for years, I wish to also do it... As a result things like Bootloaders and Ktexts I don't understand or know much about or how to install them, I have that hazzard disk and I tried installing it earlier... I guess what I am asking is, since we all the same computer for the most part... describe how you would install this, if you were telling someone with a limited idea of how to do this.

If you help I'll make sure you win some good old fashion brownie points with me. :)

IMUSXx

IMUSXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Put the Hazzard disc in and boot to it. When you get to the selection screen select osx install but type "cpus=1" then hit enter. This will get it to boot and install. I believe after install on your next boot you need to type -v te remove write caching or something then after that it will boot just fine.

If you have any experience installing windows, linux, etc.. this shouldnt be hard for you. The hard part is getting everything to work correctly after install. For me it was the boot loader which i recieved some help from a forum member.

Make sure you have a seperate hard drive to install to or split your current one in to two parts so you can use one for the OSX partition.

IMUSXx

IMUSXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Did any of you guys have any problems getting the audio to work?.

That's the only real problem I'm having so far managed to get it updated to 10.6.4 without any problems and got everything else that needs to work working but the on board audio is still being a pain in the ass.

From what I've been able to figure out the G72GX has:
Realtek ALC663 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Here's a little bit about my install:
OSX 10.6.3 Retail
Installed with Empire Efi v1085

The only extra Kext's I've used were for the video & wireless

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & thanks for the help ahead of time.

-Mike

I never had a problem with the audio after any install. Even when installing with retail disc booting that with '#####' the audio worked fine. Perhaps you should try VoodooHDA.kext ??

knowskills

knowskills

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Well after trying to load 10.6.4 on my dell xps 1645 and dell 1640 and haveing some luck with that but the video cards were giving me all kinds of trouble. So today I sold my 1645 and decided to buy a G72GX and try that one out. I should arive tomorrow and I am trying to collect every thing that i will need to get it up and running 10.6.4 asap. I only hope I have as much success as most of yall have had with this hackentosh setup.

JOKAWILD

JOKAWILD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Well after trying to load 10.6.4 on my dell xps 1645 and dell 1640 and haveing some luck with that but the video cards were giving me all kinds of trouble. So today I sold my 1645 and decided to buy a G72GX and try that one out. I should arive tomorrow and I am trying to collect every thing that i will need to get it up and running 10.6.4 asap. I only hope I have as much success as most of yall have had with this hackentosh setup.

Good choice. I've had this badboy 4 almost 6 months the only things I didn't like were the ram speed, hdd speed and the weak air fan but it's a perfect hackintosh! :D if you need any help just ask this forum knows all

knowskills

knowskills

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Ok my G72GX arived today and I was able to install using the retail 10.6.3 disc using ##### nvidia to load it. Every thing installed without any problems. So far audio, video and wifi are working out of the box. So now I am at the confusing part. How to I get my laptop to boot up without using the ##### cd.

capo_saric

capo_saric

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Ok my G72GX arived today and I was able to install using the retail 10.6.3 disc using ##### nvidia to load it. Every thing installed without any problems. So far audio, video and wifi are working out of the box. So now I am at the confusing part. How to I get my laptop to boot up without using the ##### cd.

Just download Chameleon bootloader, it should be somewhere here in the forum... I think last release was RC4... Some installs come with kexts that may not work on this laptop (I got lots of kernel panics before it worked fine) but if you make sure to install ONLY bootloader you should have absolutely no problem =) (at least i didn't)
please let me know if there is anything else you need =)

by the way... I've written about this before but, is anyone else having trouble with battery status and charge/time left ... or is it just me?

JOKAWILD

JOKAWILD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Just download Chameleon bootloader, it should be somewhere here in the forum... I think last release was RC4... Some installs come with kexts that may not work on this laptop (I got lots of kernel panics before it worked fine) but if you make sure to install ONLY bootloader you should have absolutely no problem =) (at least i didn't)
please let me know if there is anything else you need =)

by the way... I've written about this before but, is anyone else having trouble with battery status and charge/time left ... or is it just me?

Nope your not the only one I also posted same minor issues still looking for a fix. But the time remaining on mine works fine it's the icon itself that I'm having issues with oh and my trackpad doesn't want to expand my folders to full screen. How about yours?

IMUSXx

IMUSXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
For me I had trouble getting the OSX install to boot from hard drive. I tried the ##### method, tried Manually installing Chameleon, tried Chameleon with PC-EFI.. no luck. I think I must have been doing something wrong though as my current install which bunc sent to me pre loaded is a hazard distro and it uses Chameleon/PC-EFI and works great.

capo_saric

capo_saric

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Nope your not the only one I also posted same minor issues still looking for a fix. But the time remaining on mine works fine it's the icon itself that I'm having issues with oh and my trackpad doesn't want to expand my folders to full screen. How about yours?

about the battery: its exactly as yours... works perfectly, but the icon seems to be unable to tell me exactly the quantity of time/percent that is left... it says 70, then after some time it goes down to 56% or whatever... I just wish I could know exactly how much time is left at any moment and not when the icon decides to change ¬¬

and about trackpad: mine is working as a simple, 10 year old trackpad... no zoom, no horizontal scrolling, it doesn't even accept a single touch as a click... it just moves the cursor and scrolls on the right side
I really don't know what happened... I'm pretty sure it worked perfectly after installing SnowLeopard 10.6 retail... I then updated to 10.6.4 through software update and maybe changed some kexts, but I don't remember replacing my trackpad kext :( ... I don't know what went wrong...

perhaps some other forum user can help us with this... anybody there? :)

EDIT: solved the touch=click problem... I only needed to enable it in Trackpad under System Preferences ¬¬... I feel so stupid... but I still don't know about zoom or anything else.

knowskills

knowskills

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I feel like such a newb. I was able to get my laptop working using the ##### disc and a retail copy of 10.6.3. But when I installed a bootloader to the hard drive, when my system boots i have no keybord or mouse. I'm sure I am missing something or some steps. I did not install any kexts when setting up the system, I just booted with ##### and installed. What is it that i need to do to get the laptop to boot from the hard drive with out using a boot disc, and keep my system running?

knowskills

knowskills

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Ok So I decided to try the hazard disc again.
I am going to install using hazard and only add the bootloader in customization.
Then I am going to use a the kext zip file that was posed in this topic and run the dsdt thing.
I will post the results in about an hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy