[GUIDE]: The MacBookPro18 Project

valv

499 posts in this topic

I should've mentioned that Chameleon RC5 doesn't support EnableC6States key. So, open up your com.apple.Boot.plist:

1) Change

<key>GenerateC6States</key>

<string>Yes</string>

to

<key>Generate4CStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2) Add

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

3) Install GenericBrightness.kext to System/Library/Extensions. Do not install it to Extra folder.

4) Use Kext Wizard to repair permissions.

Your Geekbench score should be higher.

Please send me another IOREG dump after these changes.

I will install Lion soon and I'll try to patch AppleHDA.kext for our codec.

Lets see how it will work.

BTW, I tried HDMI today and I get kernel panic during unplugging because of Genericbrightness.kext.

It is better to shutdown the computer first before unplugging until a permanent fix is found.

Hi JBraddock'

My new Ioregitry,

Install GenericBrightness.kext to System/Library/Extensions=> Work perfect

My Geekbench up to 3930.

Thanks You very much

Hoang___s_MacBook_Pro_new.zip

Hi there,

i'm back because, after some months of trial, i think i need your help again.

I used iAtkos since here, but it still have some problems with it, especially kernel panic in the power management (i cannot close the laptop because it won't come back from the freeze; it has casuals kernel panic when i pull out the charge plug; i cannot update show Leopard if not removing sleepenabler): i need to have a laptop that let me work in a sure way, and i sometimes fear to lose my files.

So, i think it's time to let it works as best as it can.

I mean: if modifying DSDT i can solve the energy management problems, i will try (everything else seems to work right), but i really don't know how to do that.

If you could help me, it will be' great. I will do what you say to me.

Remember my hp hdx 18 is 1080 EL.

Do you think you can help me, or i must install the retail version to eliminate these problems (i must solve especially the problems with the updating and the power management - so tell me if i'm wrong saying these problems depends on the DSDT)?

Ps. if do you need other specifications, as copies of my DSDT or something like that, i'll give you all you'll need.

@Manmal?

Hello JBraddock! Hi guyz!

Here i am ... sorry for the delay . I have one of the dell 1490 minipci wifi cards (that you can easily find on ebay) that works perfectly with patched bios suggested by JBraddock ! It's wifi 54g anyway ... not -n (so not 108 mbps, just 54mbps)

@JBraddock : have you got any update about applehda and sleep ? Who knows if lion will fix it ... i doubt that, but i am not sure ... I was interested to patch applehda for our codec , but i would need more suggestions about that ... may you please post your patched versions of applehda ?

Please keep us updated about lion installation! Expecially audio before and after sleep! Thanks!

Thanks!!

Mal

If you could help me, it will be' great. I will do what you say to me.

Hello,

Please take a look at this post. There are many tutorials out there explaining retail installation of Snow Leopard. Please use one of those tutorials and have a clean installed Snow Leopard.

Use the files I shared with the bootloader (AnVaL) I suggested.

You don't need to edit anything. Just read carefully and follow the steps. Make necessary changes where needed. All is explained.

Do let us know the result.

When you are done, please send me an IOREG dump. Use IORegisteryExplorer.app (Google it)

@JBraddock : have you got any update about applehda and sleep ? Who knows if lion will fix it ... i doubt that, but i am not sure ... I was interested to patch applehda for our codec , but i would need more suggestions about that ... may you please post your patched versions of applehda ?

Please keep us updated about lion installation! Expecially audio before and after sleep! Thanks!

Hello manmal,

I'll share the new AppleHDA.kext soon.

But I doubt that the problem is related to AppleHDA.kext. If you are following the discussion on Project OSX, we are making good progress but still it is too early to tell if the problem will be fixed.

All right. I'll give a try in the next few days. I'll let you now as quick as i can.

One last thing: it's impossible to operate on the dsdt keeping iAtkos installation i alrealdy have?

All right. I'll give a try in the next few days. I'll let you now as quick as i can.

One last thing: it's impossible to operate on the dsdt keeping iAtkos installation i alrealdy have?

It is always better to start with a clean install.

But it is your call.

You can try to use the files I'd shared right away.

Friends,

It seems that my battery is slowly dying. Did any of you happen to replace the battery? I am planing to go with a third party product as the original one is too expensive, ~£80.

What are your suggestions?

Friends,

It seems that my battery is slowly dying. Did any of you happen to replace the battery? I am planing to go with a third party product as the original one is too expensive, ~£80.

What are your suggestions?

I would take it from an ebay-user that owns a broken pc with a compatible battery, or take buy it unoriginal. I think the first is a better option, but you must find someone to trust in.

But i think you should consider also the original one, because HDX are still really beutiful pcs, so, if you're not planning to change it in the next few years, consider it an "investment".

Another thought: selling a completely original pc is easier (and more profitable). I don't know if I would buy a pc with an unoriginal battery.

After all, I must admit that in the USA you're lucky: here, for an original battery, we pay 85 euros (your 80 dollars are 55 euros).

I would take it from an ebay-user that owns a broken pc with a compatible battery, or take buy it unoriginal. I think the first is a better option, but you must find someone to trust in.

But i think you should consider also the original one, because HDX are still really beutiful pcs, so, if you're not planning to change it in the next few years, consider it an "investment".

Another thought: selling a completely original pc is easier (and more profitable). I don't know if I would buy a pc with an unoriginal battery.

After all, I must admit that in the USA you're lucky: here, for an original battery, we pay 85 euros (your 80 dollars are 55 euros).

Actually, I was planing to sell my HDX and buy myself a 13" MacBook Pro. But then I realised that I got so used to the hi def display I don't know if I could be happy with a smaller resolution. Besides, OS X is running pretty well on this machine. So I am planing to keep it as long as it goes on working.

I'll buy an SSD drive and a backlit keyboard, which hopefully will make it better.

Yesterday, the battery run out of power and OS X shut itself off. Now the battery is being reported as "Service Battery". I guess its days are limited (: Thank you for the suggestions.

BTW, I am in the UK so it is damn expensive here as well.

Actually, I was planing to sell my HDX and buy myself a 13" MacBook Pro. But then I realised that I got so used to the hi def display I don't know if I could be happy with a smaller resolution. Besides, OS X is running pretty well on this machine. So I am planing to keep it as long as it goes on working.

I'll buy an SSD drive and a backlit keyboard, which hopefully will make it better.

Yesterday, the battery run out of power and OS X shut itself off. Now the battery is being reported as "Service Battery". I guess its days are limited (: Thank you for the suggestions.

BTW, I am in the UK so it is damn expensive here as well.

I had not noticed that were pounds and not dollars. So are a lot much.

I cannot find out a way to install RETAIL snow leopard. Is there a guide or something like that? The first post stops before the installation, and on pcwiz site "Ulninstaller" doesn't exist.

I cannot find out a way to install RETAIL snow leopard. Is there a guide or something like that? The first post stops before the installation, and on pcwiz site "Ulninstaller" doesn't exist.

Take a look at Youtube or conduct a search on Google. There are many videos/guides showing how to create a usb installation drive for Snow Leopard. One way to install it,

- Restore Retail Snow Leopard disc to a USB.

- Install Chameleon to it.

- Copy my Extra folder to it.

- Repair permissions by using Kext Wizard.

- Use the usb and install OS X.

Just watch a couple of videos on Youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Hi, JBraddock, I purchase new Hp DV6t, I have CPU P8700 and 4G DDR3 but Graphics is Ati Radeon HD 4650 1G DDR3, I used Imac 11.2 ( it't corrected?) and with 10.6.7 i can't not used Vanilla Kernel. If i used Vanila Kernel i used cpus=1 if not=> kernel panic CPU. I used taptun10.6.7_kernel (Malmut Guide), it full CPU. What's happent? Thanks

Hi, JBraddock, I purchase new Hp DV6t, I have CPU P8700 and 4G DDR3 but Graphics is Ati Radeon HD 4650 1G DDR3, I used Imac 11.2 ( it't corrected?) and with 10.6.7 i can't not used Vanilla Kernel. If i used Vanila Kernel i used cpus=1 if not=> kernel panic CPU. I used taptun10.6.7_kernel (Malmut Guide), it full CPU. What's happent? Thanks

iMac11,2 has i3 CPU. Try to use a different model, i.e MacBookPro5,5. Generally, you should choose your Mac Model based on your CPU. Use a mac model that has Core 2 Duo. I don't know too much about HD 4650 but I found this topic. Hope it helps.

Edit: Also look at this.

• 2 weeks later...

You said i have to copy your extra folder to USB drive, but i cannot find it out.

Is maybe this one?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1680051

I downloaded the files in the work-in-progress topic, is that right?

:::

I'm using this procedure:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135562

Ps. I have a doubt: with the retail installation it will be possibile to upgrade to Lion flawlessly and without problems?

You said i have to copy your extra folder to USB drive, but i cannot find it out.

Is maybe this one?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1680051

I downloaded the files in the work-in-progress topic, is that right?

I'm using this procedure:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135562

Ps. I have a doubt: with the retail installation it will be possibile to upgrade to Lion flawlessly and without problems?

Yes, use the files that you'd downloaded from that post. Create an Extra folder for your configuration: make necessary change to smbios.plist for your CPU's frequency, choose whether you want to use VoodooHDA or AppleHDA etc. All is explained.

You could follow that topic to install OS X but once you've installed OS X and boot into the system, you should only use the files I suggested. Please do not mix those files.

It is better to make a clean install once Lion comes out. I'll update the topic when I have time to test Lion.

Got a problem. System boots only with nawcom cd. If I don't boot from it, boot can't be done, it says "No bootable device. Insert [etc]".

Installing Chameleon don't change a thing: chameleon loads his screen only with nawcom's cd in.

Did i do something wrong

I made a check on the disks:

fotojmg.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's no AF as there was in the iatkos intallation. Think i did something worong.

Got a problem. System boots only with nawcom cd. If I don't boot from it, boot can't be done, it says "No bootable device. Insert [etc]".

Installing Chameleon don't change a thing: chameleon loads his screen only with nawcom's cd in.

After the installation, boot with Nawcom CD.

- Install Chameleon with Chameleon Wizard. Point it to OS X partition.

- Copy "boot" file from my files to root of OS X partition. Basically, this will install AnVaL the bootloader.

- Create an Extra folder described in my post under OS X partition. Put necessary files to this folder.

- Repair permissions with Kext Wizard. Point it to OS X partition.

- Restart.

After the installation, boot with Nawcom CD.

- Install Chameleon with Chameleon Wizard. Point it to OS X partition.

- Copy "boot" file from my files to root of OS X partition. Basically, this will install AnVaL the bootloader.

1) What do you mean with "to root of OS X partition"? I don't understand "root" (i know what it means, but i don't know if in mac OSX is a folder or something else).

Is maybe this directory: /machd/system/library/coreservices/boot.efi?

Or it's just the disk (the first choice in Finder)?

2) The choice in Chameleon wizard is "Boot0hfs" (first option) or just "Boot0" (second option)?

- Create an Extra folder described in my post under OS X partition. Put necessary files to this folder.

- Repair permissions with Kext Wizard. Point it to OS X partition.

- Restart.

3) "Create an Extra folder described in my post under OS X partition" means that i have to open the finder and basically put it where Chameleon usually put its "Extra folder", right? The same directory where i find "boot" file

PS: Thanks for help

_____

I tried in this way, tell me if you need to know something else.

- Install RETAIL through NawcomModCd

- Enter the OS using again ModCD.

- Run Chameleon Wizard pointing OS X partition

- Put the "boot" file i took from your folder into the main window of HD where OS X was installed into.

- Create the Extra folder.

- Repair the permission - just the permission - than reboot.

Result:

"No bootable device" again.

Don't really know what to do know.

I tried in this way, tell me if you need to know something else.

- Install RETAIL through NawcomModCd

- Enter the OS using again ModCD.

- Run Chameleon Wizard pointing OS X partition

- Put the "boot" file i took from your folder into the main window of HD where OS X was installed into.

- Create the Extra folder.

- Repair the permission - just the permission - than reboot.

Result:

"No bootable device" again.

Don't really know what to do know.

Try using this installer to install Chameleon. Tick only Chameleon.

Also, tick Rebuild Mkext and Rebuild System Cache in Kext Wizard, not just repair permissions.

After installing Chameleon, Google for Show All Files.app or a similar app to make hidden files visible and then replace the boot file with the one in my files.

post-562417-1308161533_thumb.jpg

Try using this installer to install Chameleon. Tick only Chameleon.

Also, tick Rebuild Mkext and Rebuild System Cache in Kext Wizard, not just repair permissions.

After installing Chameleon, Google for Show All Files.app or a similar app to make hidden files visible and then replace the boot file with the one in my files.

post-562417-1308161533_thumb.jpg

I'll give a try now. For show all files i use the:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

Done as you said:

1) The installation of Chameleon was successful.

2) The ticking of Rebuild mkext and Rebuild system cache too.

3) I deleted the "boot" file in the HD and then placed yours.

Result:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

Thing i'm going to take an axe.

Maybe i have to change system? Initialize something in a different way? I initialized the disk in MAC OSX (Journaled, doing no partitions (I want to use 1 Hd for snow and one for Win)

1) The installation of Chameleon was successful.

2) The ticking of Rebuild mkext and Rebuild system cache too.

3) I deleted the "boot" file in the HD and then placed yours.

Result:

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

In my boot.plist, I have the following:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,1)</string>

If you have a different configuration, then it might cause the problem. Try to delete or modify this line. Basically, this line boots into the first partition of the first hdd.

In my boot.plist, I have the following:

<key>Default Partition</key>
   <string>hd(0,1)</string>

If you have a different configuration, then it might cause the problem. Try to delete or modify this line. Basically, this line boots into the first partition of the first hdd.

My configuration is:

HD1: no partition, formatted in osx journaled, i use it for SL

HD2: no partition, formatted in osx journaled, i will use it for Windows

Should i try PCEfi

Should i try to chand Nawxcom with 132Boot?