EVOEnabler for X1000-series ATI Radeon under Snow Leopard 10.6.3

munky

72 posts in this topic

Hey,

So i'm {censored} at 'retiring' - I have two hackintosh projects on the go just now :)

Anyway, one of them was to get my ageing desktop up and running Snow Leopard in pure 64-bit goodness.

The only sticking point was getting my old Radeon X1800XL PCI-E 256Mb to work properly. Under Leopard I was using Natit (never bothered with EFI strings or whatever), but Natit is 32-bit, so it had to go.

Anyway, I spent a couple of days pricking around with EFI strings which got me nowhere. Eventually I found EVOEnabler.kext and decided to patch it for use with my card.

All I did was edit the Info.plist, rename all the ATI 'codename' references (eg MotMot) to Alopias (which is the correct codename for the X1800), and removed the encoded Video BIOS part.

To get this to work on other X1000-series cards, I suspect just changing Alopias to whatever else (Sphryna or something for 1900, Wormy for 1600 etc) would work. Give it a shot if you're unable to get X1000 working under Snow.

This should work 32-bit or 64-bit - im using 64-bit only.

Hope this is useful to someone. Now, no doubt, i'll hear about the *proper* way I *should* have done this... :)

File is here: http://www.mungler.com/EVOenabler_X1800.kext.zip

UPDATE: I got this technique to work with an X1650 Pro 256Mb card, with ID 71c6, though only when booting with 32-bit kernel.

cheers!

- munky

no idea dude. i suspect it wouldnt be hard to do.

for the record: yes, everything is fully working, resolution change, CI/QE etc. no artefacts or other {censored}. how do i test if Core Animation works? :)

anyone out there with an X1600 or X1900 want to give this a try?

no idea dude. i suspect it wouldnt be hard to do.

for the record: yes, everything is fully working, resolution change, CI/QE etc. no artefacts or other {censored}. how do i test if Core Animation works? :soldiers:

anyone out there with an X1600 or X1900 want to give this a try?

I have a Radeon X1600 I've been trying to get working correctly on my PC. I had tried this walkthrough http://apple2pc.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-t...=comm-sub-email but ultimately failed when rebooting, goes to the loading screen with the wheel spinning, than the screen would flicker a second and the wheel would cease to spin.. and than it involved me to reinstall OSX completely using iAktos v7. Everything else seems to work fine.

Anyway, I'm willing to try my luck again with getting the X1600 to work properly "i'm currently stuck at 1024x768."

If you have any additional help or instructions that can help the process that would also be a big help.

Edit: Probably should have read more carefully, I'm running Leopard, not Snow Leopard. So I'm not sure if this would work the same way.

Shadowtm911: i suspect it would...

grab the kext and edit the Info.plist. Change each instance of 'Alopias' (and there are a lot) to 'Wormy', including changing 'AlopiasParent' to 'WormyParent'.

lemme know how you get on.

I also have a 'spare' X1650 card here.. i might install that and see if i can get it to work.

Shadowtm911: i suspect it would...

grab the kext and edit the Info.plist. Change each instance of 'Alopias' (and there are a lot) to 'Wormy', including changing 'AlopiasParent' to 'WormyParent'.

lemme know how you get on.

I also have a 'spare' X1650 card here.. i might install that and see if i can get it to work.

After I've done that, do I also change the model from ATI Radeon X1800XL to ATI Radeon X1600? or whatever the model name should be? and after that where do I put the file? System/Library/Extensions ?

Ok, so I did get my card to display at most 1280x1024, but that's my current displays restriction. I tried using the file you had and your method, but it didn't work on my system for my X1600. I did however try the fix I had done before (after backing up my system this time of course.) and it seems to have done the trick.

However CI/QE isn't functioning.

The error I received when trying to install the EVOenabler, was that it was installed incorrectly and to install it again etc.

I may have done something wrong though, more than likely.

that means permissions arent set correctly.

do this in terminal

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 EVOenabler_X1800.kext

chown -R root:wheel EVOenabler_X1800.kext

and reboot

another thing: my device ID was already present in the Info.plist of ATIRadeonX1000.kext - might need to add yours.

can anyone confirm this is working for them?

I was able to get it working with the QE, but it is very buggy, it doesn't run smooth and for some reason when i launch Adium while QE is on, my computer freezes, it's also pretty laggy and acts a little weird on my system. It works, just not very well.

Yes, it works for me.... X1600 (71c2), OS 10.6.3

Only 32 bit. It looks like Apple doesn't have 64bit drivers 4 this card. I had to add ID's to ATIRadeonX1000 plist.

Since I was stuck on 1024x768, with mouselag I suspected ATIFramebuffer so I replaced the original one from apple with the one from 3rr0rists's X1600 drivers. And everything works like a charm..... QE/CI/CA

-_-

• 3 weeks later...

munky: Thank you! I was about to give up, then I found your post and I've managed to get my Hackintosh working 100%!

I've got a Radon X1900XT, and I'm using your kext with no modifcations at all. It appears that Alopias is the codename for the X1900 series, and the X1800/X1850 series (see this post: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...;mode=threaded)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Snow Leopard, 10.6.2.

Kernel panic when I add my card's device ID into the X1000 driver, and with just adding Wormy into the EVOenabler I don't get resolution change or QE/CI. I also tried under 32-bit with arch=i386 (I checked before I enabled the driver that I was in 32 bit mode.)

Guessing the ATI X1650 PRO PCIe card [1002:71C1] does not work with Snow Leopard at all,

unless someone wants to correct me.

• 3 months later...
munky: Thank you! I was about to give up, then I found your post and I've managed to get my Hackintosh working 100%!

great! glad its confirmed for someone else. for you guys having problems, i dont know what to say... it works for me, and for this dude. i don't have time to invest in this scene these days, sadly, so i cant really help. good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!! Goddamn its taken me all night (ugh.. 3.20 am now) but its working.

Full support on a X1650 Pro card, ID 71c6 running latest Snow Leopard with Graphics Update.

No tricks, just added the device ID to the relevant part in Info.plist in:

ATI1600Controller.kext

ATIRadeonX1000.kext

and change all entries in EVOenabler which read 'Alopias' to read 'Wormy'.

Full acceleration, no mouse tearing, full res change etc etc.

EDIT: Sorry, I should say - the 1600 kexts dont appear to have 64-bit code, so I had to force 32-bit kernel booting on that machine to make it work.

@snerler -yes, I would say so. need both kexts loading for full gfx support.

@palmpje - there's nothing to upload, im just using the clean 10.6.4 + Graphics Update kexts, with a simple pci id tweak to match the card (in the two kexts mentioned above), and the EVOenabler kext from this thread with all instances of 'Alopias' replaced with 'Wormy'. Make sure your kext versions match the kernel, and you should be ok.

When getting the X1650 to work, I learned a couple of things:

1) The version of the kext must match the kernel - had some bad juju (corrupt screen etc) when they mismatched. Use the 10.6.4 kernel and the Snow Leo Gfx Update kexts.

2) Some ATI kexts dont have 64-bit code - 1800 seems to, 1600 does not, so that machine had to boot 32-bit kernel, whereas the machine with the 1800 can boot 64-bit clean.

3) Its best to use the latest kexts, clean and unmodified apart from any pci id changes you need.

The box with the X1650 is running with 10.6.4 kexts (including Snow Leopard Graphics Update) with only the couple id tweaks in plists and the EVOenabler from the first post in this thread with all instances of 'Alopias' replaced with 'Wormy'.

Hope this is of use to someone...