10.6.3 nVidia Blank Screen Issue with DVI/HDMI on 9800GT

athena

434 posts in this topic

NO.

I am having the same problem going from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 and having a DVI - HDMI freeze on bootup. I have tried using the KEXT fix that worked for 10.6.2 update however this only enabled my display to function in 800x600. I then tried to install injectors and EFI strings to get my resolutions back however nothing has worked. Now back on 10.6.2 waiting for a solution. PLEASE help fix.

Graphics :- 8600gt

MOBO:- EP45-DS3

Processor: :- Q6600.

Kind Regards

Since my Mobo is defective and has been returned (Gigabyte G41M-E2SL) I cannot start the update at the moment.

But as an owner of an Nvidia Geforce 9800Gt 512M with VGA, DVI and HDMI interface I can remember I had the same issue when updating from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2. I had a black sreen and desktop was not show.

My 9800GT is/was just configured with EFI string in Boot.plist.

At this time I decided to start from scratch. Did a new installation of 10.6 with standard kexts (LAN worked oob) and made it bootable with Chameleon. Did then a Software-Update to 10.6.2 which was successful. After that I added my EFI-string for the NVIDIA card in the boot.plist, did a restart and everything worked well.

Maybe this could be the best strategy: Before updating to delete the EFI string, disable graphics enabler and redo this after update to 10.6.3.

I will tell you my experience as soon I get my Mobo back (could take 2 weeks).

Add your video card's device ID to NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANVx0Hal.kext that matches your Nvidia chip.

For 8xxx series and above this is normally NVDANV50Hal.kext.

Complete guide here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me..

At this time I decided to start from scratch. Did a new installation of 10.6 with standard kexts (LAN worked oob) and made it bootable with Chameleon. Did then a Software-Update to 10.6.2 which was successful. After that I added my EFI-string for the NVIDIA card in the boot.plist, did a restart and everything worked well.

Maybe this could be the best strategy: Before updating to delete the EFI string, disable graphics enabler and redo this after update to 10.6.3.

I will tell you my experience as soon I get my Mobo back (could take 2 weeks).

I just tried it (delete the EFI string, disable graphics enabler and redo this after update to 10.6.3) and it didn't work. It still freezes when I connect my HDMI monitor.

I was able to get the OS bootable for experimentation purposes by removing the "graphicsenabler=yes" or EFI strings in the boot.plist, but no luck actually *solving* the problem yet, just got it running with generic drivers & resolution

Makes me wish I'd gotten around to time machine on this particular machine and could easily downgrade.... :/

Well this is nothing new, this was implemented back in 10.6.2 for any users using multi-display to a HDMI as well. In 10.6.2 you could relieve this by just putting the 10.6.1 Nvidia kexts (NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext) in your S/L/E folder. This is not the case with 10.6.3, DVI-HDMI hardware support will be gone, no QE/CI.

Try putting -x -v in safemode, I was able to even change my resolution and refresh rate. There will be a fix for this eventually im sure, if not better get back to 10.6.2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to try my own variation of this solution. In the meantime, please be aware that it seems to rely heavily on an extensively patched DSDT file customized for an EX58-UD5 mobo which, of course, will not necessarily work for other mobos. I'll report back after I try (I'm using an EP45-UD3R).

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. But my setup is different enough that I'm not sure it means anything. I have an EP45-UD3R mobo, am using Cartri's BIOS, with a DSDT file customized for my setup (including the GTS 250 card) and running in 64 bits. I also didn't use DD's script but, rather, simply used the "boot" file from the AsereBLN_v1.19 Bootloader. I did so because I have my graphics card running perfectly with my customized BIOS and without an EFI string already in 10.6.2. I also left the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, JMicronATA and LegacyHDA kexts in my Extra folder, since I doubt they have any influence on graphics.

So, YMMV and I may tinker around with things some more. But the differences between the setup in the suggested fix and mine made the fix unworkable for me, at least as of now.

I also tried graphicsenabler multiple times.... no luck there.

Im on a quite similar UD3LR, 8800GT also using Aseres Bootloader.

Definitely saw problems with future updates coming when there was no real fix on 10.6.1 :D

I currently use 10.6.3 with vanilla kexts on a EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked card with DVI and works fine.

It should workd on HDMI too, because according to wikipedia, DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible. I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable to try, but I think it'll work.

My monitor is a 26 in Samsung T260HD.

I use Chameleon 2 RC4 with GraphicsEnabler and a modded (GPU speeds) MacPro's 8800GT video bios on (EFI)/Extra.

Cheers!

Yoz el_charlie, check out the whole post, it's indeed an HDMI issue, not DVI. Yes they are both digital, but interact differently, this issue confirms this.

I'm sorry to disagree.

HDMI and DVI ARE electrically compatible, therefore, HDMI is just a DVI cable with a different connector plus audio signal. Otherwise they are the same thing. Same number of pins (except audio), same everything. That's why DVI is forward compatible with HDMI.

My card doesnt' have a HDMI output so this issue could be related to the HDMI output only for video cards with hdmi outputs. If I use an adapter I probably won't experience the issue.

Cheers!

Sorry to ruin your theory. But from what I have read and also from my own experience (I have a 9800gtx DVI to HDMI adaptor to an HP w2408h display) the aforementioned connection results in a black screen. System is running but no display when machine enters GUI. It would be great for a solution to this as I am connected via DVI -VGa to the same montior. Thankfully my monitor has both inputs.

Respectfully

KiwiSammy

Let's clear up some issues. First, DVI is electrically compatible with HDMI and vice versa. The issue is not with HDMI itself, as many people think. The issue is with the High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) often used by HDMI. HDCP can be used over both DVI and HDMI, but is almost always seem with HDMI, which is why everyone seems to think it's an HDMI issue.

HDMI without HDCP and DVI without HDCP are the exact same thing. The issue seems to be driver based in that the HDMI displays are trying to do a proper HDCP handshake with the GPU and failing, thus the black screen.

I can confirm it is totally possible to get an HDMI monitor with HDCP working under 10.6.3. My guess is that the NVidia 8xxx series cards may not have full driver support for HDCP, even though they have full hardware support for HDCP. Since Apple uses the 9600 and 9400 in the MacBook Pros, the 9xxx series of cards seem to be working better with HDCP displays. However, I have seen results where it is possible to get both 7xxx and 8xxx series cards working with HDMI-based HDCP displays.

Finally!!!!

I also read somewhere that the issue was with HDCP but that makes me wonder why it doesn't happen with DVI since DVI also has (or should have) HDCP. On windows HDCP is working on my computer and I can check the HDCP status on NVIDIA control panel. It only works if I turn on the monitor before Windows boots. If I turn it on after it boots the control panel says that my system is not HDCP capable.

On the service menu of my HDTV monitor (Samsung T260HD) there's an option to control the HDCP behaviour when the monitor is on after the OS.

Like you said, it's a driver issue. Maybe Netkas will find a solution first.

Cheers!

HDMI requires devices to be HDCP capable, whereas DVI does not. All initial DVI devices did not support HDCP, it was only later did DVI with HDCP become prevalent. I think the best way to handle this issue is try either try to get your GPU functioning under the existing drivers, possible by modifying your DSDT or NVCAP, or just buy a known-working NVidia GPU. I would bet that some of the people having difficulties have incorrect NVCAP values. I would try to boot into Windows, get your NVCAP values and then set them in your DSDT or using the AsereBLN 1.1.9 bootloader. Google on how to do this, as there are tutorials on this site and others.

Ok, I will try.

I can boot into Windows and post my NVCAP here but I think it will be useless 'cause I'm using DVI with HDCP. maybe with HDMI it's different.

I advise people with the issue of black screen to boot into Windows and check on tne NVIDIA control panel if their HDCP is working. If it's working, they can get their own NVCAP values.

Cheers!

Hi All fellas.

After having read through all of the discussion, I'd like to provide my DSDT code for GFX.

If anyone wants the modified NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAREsman.kext, can post here again.

Lastly, the HDMI part is the biggest hurdle in Snow Leopard, bit difficult in Leopard. And not available in Tiger though.

So "athena", if you do want this working, you would have to resort to heavy duty DSDT.aml patching.

That's the only way. Yet.

My DSDT code for GFX0:

Device (P0P2)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)
               Device (GFX0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Name (_SUN, One)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x18)
                           {
                               "@0,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@0,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@0,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-A"
                               }, 

"@1,compatible", 
                               Buffer (0x0B)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,NVMac"
                               }, 

"@1,device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x08)
                               {
                                   "display"
                               }, 

"@1,name", 
                               Buffer (0x0F)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,Display-B"
                               }, 

"NVCAP", 
                               Buffer (0x18)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"NVPM", 
                               Buffer (0x1C)
                               {
                                   /* 0000 */    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0008 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0010 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 
                                   /* 0018 */    0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                               }, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
                               Buffer (0x04)
                               {
                                   0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
                               }, 

"device_type", 
                               Buffer (0x0D)
                               {
                                   "NVDA,GeForce"
                               }, 

"model", 
                               Buffer (0x20)
                               {
                                   "XFX nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB"
                               }, 

"rom-revision", 
                               Buffer (0x25)
                               {
                                   "nVidia GeForce 9800 GT OpenGL Engine"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }
           }

Awaiting your feedback

Regards,

Freaky Chokra