Drivers for Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT - Success

MacNutty

352 posts in this topic

Okay, got it working by adding a mask to the end of the device ids in Info.plist. For NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist change line 56 from:

<string>0x064110de 0x042c10de 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff

to:

<string>0x064110de&0xfff8ffff 0x042c10de&0xfff8ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff

and also in NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist add the &0xfff8ffff mask to the device id's MacNutty added at line 37. You'll notice the rest of them have it.

The problem is CI and QE are not working. Bummer. Thanks for getting me this far though MacNutty!

Okay, got it working by adding a mask to the end of the device ids in Info.plist. For NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist change line 56 from:

<string>0x064110de 0x042c10de 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff

to:

<string>0x064110de&0xfff8ffff 0x042c10de&0xfff8ffff 0x011010de&0xfff8ffff

and also in NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist add the &0xfff8ffff mask to the device id's MacNutty added at line 37. You'll notice the rest of them have it.

The problem is CI and QE are not working. Bummer. Thanks for getting me this far though MacNutty!

sansome could you send me the kext's i tryed to edit them and it said that the where invalid when i tryed to save.

Actually the point is my device id (0x064110de) is already in tree kexts.. but however it doesnt work with your kext i dont know why.. ( i'm using 10.5.6 with vanilla)

by the way, before i enable QuartzGl i wasnt very happy with this card's performance.. but now it's working really good.. I suggest to people who having problems with using injectors such nvinject, just try install Nvidia 9 series drivers and adding efi string and enabling quartzgl. I know that sounds a little bit more complicated than just installing kext but if have nothing to do just give it a try.

What did you base your strings on? Didn't think there was a 9400 file out there. Really, I don't know how to get started and I keep seeing reference to a "gfx strings" program that I can't seem to find. Went to Netkas site, but didn't find it there.

sansome could you send me the kext's i tryed to edit them and it said that the where invalid when i tryed to save.

I tried to upload a zip with the kexts, but failed. Don't know what's up with that because neither Safari or Firefox could do it. In any case, if you PM me with your email address I would be happy to send you the zip.

ok thanks to fireofanor i got my card working except for QE.

here is how "ps when you choose a resalution press the power button for 1 second and then pres it agane and you will see the changes"

first, remove any injectors nvinject or natit and reboot. Install 9 series drivers "http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132089"

, reboot.

Get OSX86Tools and install it on your application folder. open it and follow the instructions and reboot again.

Click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". "GFX Strings", "Custom GeForce hex".

Select a device name, amount of memory and VGA/DVI configuration.

Copy the generated EFI-string.

Open terminal and use this command '' sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist ''

Find the line there and paste your EFI-string inbetween <string>HERE</string> without space.

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>paste the EFI-string here</string>

Save the file (CTRL-O), Enter, and exit. (CTRL-X) then type '' exit '' close the terminal.

Repair permissions and clear the kext cache.. do it with OSX86Tools and reboot. i hope that gonna work to you

post-268449-1230524121_thumb.jpg

I've got my 9400 GT fully working with CI/QE now thanks to tips from Fireofanor, Taz, and most importantly Aqua-Mac who's created an installer with the latest Apple nVidia driver release that updates drivers for the new cards/GPUs. That is the key.

Short guide on how I did it:

1) Download and install Aqua-Mac's nVidia driver installer. Don't think you need to remove exisiting nVidia kexts. Don't reboot yet, though installer will ask you to.

2) Remove NVinject,kext and NVkush.kext if you have them installed.

3) Create EFI/GFX string in com.apple.Boot.plist as suggested in previous posts. I find the easiest way to do this is via OSX86Tools.

a. Use Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag on main menu. Select GFX strings option.

b. Scroll to bottom of list, select Custom nVidia GeForce.

c. For name model enter "NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT".

d. Select the amount of memory on your card.

e. Select the display output that matches your card. For my PNY Verto, it's dual DVI-I ports.

f. The plist info and hex string for your card will pop up. Select and copy the hex string for safety, but use the "Import String to Boot Editor" option. Click Apply Change on the next screen that pops up, no need to add other flags or strings.

4) Use repair disk permissions and clear kext cache on OSX86Tools main menu or do this any way you like.

5) Check the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file for safety sake using terminal and nano or vi just to make sure the string was inserted properly. If not, use the version you copied to the clipboard and add the "device-properties" key and value manually. (Sudo to edit file.)

6) Reboot and enjoy the results! No mods to driver kexts with device ids or anything else is required.

My SP output now:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x042c

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

VA1930wm:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

The card identifier I used was "NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT". Don't know if the space makes a difference in identifying the card.

No guys it doesn't matter it's just a name.. I wrote there just 9400 GT

I believe taz's problem must be about device id or probably because of installed other injectors..

Injectors was something I suspected too. Are you certain Natit, Titan, and NVinject are not in the Extensions directory? You might want to delete all of the NV* kexts (though only NVDAResman and NVDANV50Hal should be used for your card) and all of the GeForce* kexts, then reinstall with Aqua's installer.

My GFX string won't help. From what I understand gfxutil (and OSXTools) interrogate the card and create a string unique to your card's GPU, etc, i.e. unique to your installation. Do you know if that's the case Fireofanor?

I don't know how it worked for me and how its not working for you. One thing which you can try is get Nvidia Universal drivers, you can google or if you cannot find I can upload it for you. Install the drivers and then use the kexts which I posted. That might solve your problem, but before installing the drivers remove efi string, any injectors or modified kexts used for your display.

People getting black screen or similar problems can try swapping the displays. As I have TFT Monitor connected to VGA port I have changed the settings in Info.plist accordingly, but if your are using DVI port then just swap the display values like this

Change Display-A to Display-B and Display-B to Display-A.

Another option may be changing the nvcap values in NVinject.kext. Use this tool NVCap Maker or http://nvinject.free.fr/files/nvflash_for_windows.zip for getting your right nvcap values.

Hi i also got a Nvidia Geforce 9400GT , the card works

but it sys that QE is not supportet , tried your kexts on Iaktos 10.5.5 (also updated to 10.5.6}

The graphic card works , but the only problem is , that pixelmator is showing black images

Would be nice if you could email me .

Markus.Ippy@gmx.de

send me your decive id and i will help the problem is you probly dont have the save brand of the card like for example me and sansome have a pny version of the card and other people might have a bfg and so on and so forth but if you send me your device id i will add it to the kext

Taz i'm not so sure your card working well.. could you post your xbench graphic test results here pls ?

Quartz Graphics Test 42.74

Line 39.78 2.65 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 37.41 11.17 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 77.15 6.29 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 23.45 591.36 beziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 105.32 6.59 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 30.32

Spinning Squares 30.32 38.46 frames/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 42.74

Line 39.78 2.65 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 37.41 11.17 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 77.15 6.29 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 23.45 591.36 beziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 105.32 6.59 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 30.32

Spinning Squares 30.32 38.46 frames/sec

Here are my results (QuartzGL enabled)

Quartz Graphics Test 190.02

Line 199.07 13.25 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 181.33 54.14 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 278.83 22.73 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 95.96 2.42 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 566.04 35.41 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 173.22

Spinning Squares 173.22 219.74 frames/sec

Your card is not working well as i thought so...

I did'nt had any such problems. I have Palit Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT and it worked fine after adding device id to the three kexts. If you are facing some problem, try adding correct device ids to them.

I am about to purchase this one by Palit. I have only 10.5.2 kalyway distr to install. Is it strongly claimed using 10.5.5 and above?

I am about to purchase this one by Palit. I have only 10.5.2 kalyway distr to install. Is it strongly claimed using 10.5.5 and above?

Yes probably it's required. Actually i havent tried that on 10.5.2 but i would give a try..

The EFI string method works pretty god on my XFX 9400GT for the most part. The problem I have is if I switch inputs on my TV, then go back to my Mac input, I end up with a blue screen. I can RDP to it, rotate the screen and the image shows up, switch it back to standard rottion, and it's back to blue.

Also the max resolution I get is 1920x1080(interlaced).

Also, any way to force 24Hz refresh rate?

Edit: SwitchResX Control Panel will let me add custom refresh rates to the display prefs, and it actually works, but I still get the blue screen problem on switching inputs.

Edit Again: Actually SwitchResX got rid of both of my problems.

Also, any way to force 24Hz refresh rate?

Did you really mean 24Hz? :wacko:

I'm trying to set up a 9500gt 512 DVI|VGA|HDMI

So far I'm only getting a black screen like many others are getting here

These are the relevant details;

0x064010de

BAAAAAAAAwAEAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=

Did you really mean 24Hz? :(

Yep. 24Hz :( This is on my media center than runs Plex, and all my media is Blu-Ray rips. Blu-Ray is 24fps (23.9-something-or-other to be exact), so in outputting 24Hz to my HD screen, it eliminates 3:2 pulldown which creates stutter in panning and fast scenes when outputting a 60Hz signal. This is all beyond the scope of this topic, but for more info see: http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

Yep. 24Hz B) This is on my media center than runs Plex, and all my media is Blu-Ray rips. Blu-Ray is 24fps (23.9-something-or-other to be exact), so in outputting 24Hz to my HD screen, it eliminates 3:2 pulldown which creates stutter in panning and fast scenes when outputting a 60Hz signal. This is all beyond the scope of this topic, but for more info see: http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

I see, yes that would make complete sense. Never realised displays could go that low!