AppleIntelE1000e.kext for 10.8/10.7/10.6/10.5

hnak

751 posts in this topic

Hi, Is anyone having any issues with VPN PPP?

On-broad card is an Intel Gigabit not sure what Model?

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x10bd

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c

Subsystem ID: 0x2818

Revision ID: 0x0002

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Version: 2.2.14

VPN Info.

VPN 1:

Type: PPP (PPTP)

IPv4:

Configuration Method: PPP

OverridePrimary: 1

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Proxies:

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 1

All i get is connect......

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip dated 2013-01-21

10.7.5 Lion

Hi, Is anyone having any issues with VPN PPP?

On-broad card is an Intel Gigabit not sure what Model?

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x10bd

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c

Subsystem ID: 0x2818

Revision ID: 0x0002

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Version: 2.2.14

VPN Info.

VPN 1:

Type: PPP (PPTP)

IPv4:

Configuration Method: PPP

OverridePrimary: 1

IPv6:

Configuration Method: Automatic

Proxies:

FTP Passive Mode: Yes

Service Order: 1

All i get is connect......

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip dated 2013-01-21

10.7.5 Lion

It is 80566DM-2. Doing web search with "pci 8086 10bd" will show the answer.

As PPTP is VPN over TCP/IP, not different from ordinary connections like http,FTP,etc. Do you connect with other NICs ?

It is 80566DM-2. Doing web search with "pci 8086 10bd" will show the answer

Yeap thats the one :P

As PPTP is VPN over TCP/IP, not different from ordinary connections like http,FTP,etc. Do you connect with other NICs ?

On the Windows side i can connect to my VPN perfectly but is just the Mac side.

All i get is connect....

• 2 weeks later...

Hnak,

I'm using the 2.2.14 based version of your driver on a Gigabyte ga-z77x-up5-th board and 10.8.2 - and basic functionality is fine.

I do have a minor annoyance though... interface shows the link always being up, even if the ethernet cable is unplugged. Is this expected behavior?

-Jim

Hnak,

I'm using the 2.2.14 based version of your driver on a Gigabyte ga-z77x-up5-th board and 10.8.2 - and basic functionality is fine.

I do have a minor annoyance though... interface shows the link always being up, even if the ethernet cable is unplugged. Is this expected behavior?

-Jim

I just trust the value returned by the code, which I just copied from Linux driver.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have an Asus P9x79 LE Mother board, I tried to install this kext but ethernet didn't work. I see in many many sites that all people, after install this kext ethernet works without problem. But not to me.

I tried in 10.6.8, but don't work, before this mother board I had an Asus P5QPRO, and I installed (years ago) some kext to run ethernet. So by recomendation of creator of Installation Guide for this mother board, I update to 10.8, but still don't work.

I don't know why don't work, and if the old kext to Asus P5QPRO ethernet can affect, but I don't remember what kext was, and what do...

I am a litlle desperate, what can I do?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know if their firmware updater will work with an 82579V on a non-intel motherboard...?

My MB is UD5h from Gigabyte, worked.

I have just uploaded the updated version.

Please let me know if this one has solved the stall under heavy traffic.

Thanks! I was just having stalling issue 3 days ago after some file copy operations over network, thanks for the potential fix.

/edit Updated my BIOS to http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48085-gigabyte-modified-bios-100.html#post455327 (UD5H F15r mod4) I do not see any problems so far. for 2 weeks. :)

Thanks

Edited by eddypoon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hnak, I came across very esoteric problem with your kext and sleep. Monitor turns off, same as HDDs, mouse and keyboard, but fans continue to spin and computer wont react to any input. Even power button. In other words hangs in transition to sleep. This is same as THe KiNG's problem, I think. I have Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard with Intel 82579V ethernet. Asus Maximus V series of motherboards have problem with mid-motherboard usb ports. Thing is, HPET device hijacks exclusively IRQs for one of USB hubs. We can easily fix this with DSDT edit, but not in this case. If you reassign IRQs, you lose sleep. After around 50 reboots with different IRQ assignments, I tried to install OSX from scratch, just in case my current install was faulty by itself. Sleep worked flawlessly on fresh (only FakeSMC kext) system. So, I began to install required kexts one by one and sleep broke on AppleIntelE1000e. And I think I have some ideas why this is happening. Here comes some research:

With HPET patch. GLAN device gets IRQ 20 and 03 ("IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<1400000007000000>,<0300000000000100>)) - sleep breaks. I think this is because IRQ 20 (<1400000007000000>) is also used by one of USB2.0 hubs. Or because GLAN usually have only one IRQ.

Whithout HPET patch. GLAN device gets ONLY IRQ 03 ("IOInterruptSpecifiers" = (<0300000000000100>)) - sleep works. This is because HPET already hijacked IRQ 20 exclusively, so GLAN and USB hub cant claim it for themselves. Also IRQ 03 is exclusive to GLAN, so I think that problem is somewhere in the driver, that dont like IRQ sharing with other device. Or driver expects only one IRQ.

In either case LAN and HPET is working. The only thing that's breaking - is sleep. I'll try to do some IRQ shuffling when I'll get home later. I think I have one free IRQ to reassing LAN controller onto. Also I need to look how IRQs are assigned without your kext, because I forgot to look at it :(

Some more research:

On kext v 2.1.7 or 2.0.0 (I dont remember what exact version I used) I had some pause (around 5-7 seconds, I think) between pressing sleep button and actually going to sleep. Latest version dont exhibit this behavior, but continues to fail going into sleep with 2 IRQs on GLAN device. Debug log don't have anything after pressing sleep... Attached to post are several debug logs, taken after boot. To me they are completely identical. IRQBoot.txt - HPET have 4 not overlapping IRQs, GLAN have 2 (one is overlapping). IRQ2Boot.txt - HPET have 2 IRQs (happens around once per 3-4 week, don't know why), GLAN have 2 (one is overlapping). NormalBoot.txt - HPET have 4 overlapping IRQs, GLAN have 1 not overlapping.

Also, main IRQ of GLAN device is not constant, but always exclusive to GLAN. I'll test some more.

EDIT 1: Scratch first part. Looks like delays caused by something else, not kext version. It well may be traffic from torrent client. I need to do more testing.

EDIT 2: Found similar bug report with this driver, but on Linux: https://bugzilla.ker...ug.cgi?id=36132

EDIT 3: Forgot to mention: my tests are on OSX 10.8.2 and 10.8.3.

IRQBoot.txt

IRQ2Boot.txt

NormalBoot.txt

Mac OS X's network framework is "don't call me, I call you" system and IRQ oblivious, where a driver does not acquire/release IRQ explicitly unlike Linux and knows nothing about it.

It is almost the same for sleep. The driver's behavior is the same as load/unload unless explicitly specified by the code. Can you kextunload the driver ?

Mac OS X's network framework is "don't call me, I call you" system and IRQ oblivious, where a driver does not acquire/release IRQ explicitly unlike Linux and knows nothing about it.

It is almost the same for sleep. The driver's behavior is the same as load/unload unless explicitly specified by the code. Can you kextunload the driver ?

I don't code for OSX, so I don't know such specifics. If I knew C, I would already be half way to find reason of sleep breakage. Yes, I can unload it without problems. Without kext, system sleeps fine. Also, system sleeped fine when I deleted network service from network preferences panel. But not always. I need more time to understand why. Also, I tried revision 20 and last one. Both exhibited this behavior. Also, here's some more logs. All logs from now on will be with proper IRQ assignment to HPET device. Log name represents what was done in that time span.

PS. Also, one side note: visually all devices shut down on sleep attempt, but LAN continues to work. I see leds that represent uplink and data transfer. On successful sleep they both go down.

BootInactive.txt

Inactive-Active-ReAdd.txt

RemoveService.txt

by any chance did you update the firmware on the network card?

Yes, I did update it. I installed OSX after about 2 weeks later than windows. My network card just disappeared after sleep on windows 8 and Asus site recommended updating fw of network card, so I did it.

EDIT: So, looks like we don't have any ideas how to fix this :( . It's a pity.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I did update it. I installed OSX after about 2 weeks later than windows. My network card just disappeared after sleep on windows 8 and Asus site recommended updating fw of network card, so I did it.

EDIT: So, looks like we don't have any ideas how to fix this :( . It's a pity.

make sure your SM extensions are loading (mine loaded after applying the DSDTs, google around) the sleep / memory problem is gone afterwards.

make sure your SM extensions are loading (mine loaded after applying the DSDTs, google around) the sleep / memory problem is gone afterwards.

What extensions do you mean exactly? On first look I dont have any broken system extensions. Only problem is IvyBridge CPU under MacPro3,1 SMBIOS. Under Macmini6,2 everything is normal. At least I think so. Maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone any experience with 10.9 DP1 yet?

Installed it for a laugh and it does work pretty well for me, dsdt-free, sound, etc etc all but ethernet.

The usual way of using this kext doesn't seem to work though pretty much any kext for ML works.

Quiet surprised actually how well everything works ootb, back then Lion -> ML caused more problems for me.
For time being using an old apple branded atheros card in case I want to dual boot into it and have a go :)

Tested some more; it does work but is highly unstable (Probably the os is, not the kext).
Once I paired the system with an original airport card, no matter on or off it somehow worked slightly better.
Ah well, guess that's to be expected from a DP :P

I am having sleep issues in Mountain Lion as well with this kext. I will have to use a USB network card untill the issue is fixed. Wasted so much time tracing sleep issues to the card, only 1 in 20 crashes on wake would show a kernel panic screen before forced reboot.

Looks like I nailed root of the problem: Asus combo board. Its bluetooth part, to be more precise. Maybe someone can check with wifi only card. Somehow E1000e driver conflicts with bluetooth device. I don't know what kind conflict it is, but it looks like its IRQ related because one if IRQs of NIC changed to 03 from 02. Just disabling bluetooth controller in BIOS helped, you don't need to physically remove card.

• 2 weeks later...

AppleIntelE1000e.kext.zipHi hnak,

I hope you don't mind but I've done an amateur attempt at merging in the 2.4.14 driver and compiling against 10.9 Mavericks for some of us running Haswell boards with the Intel i217. I've posted the source code if it helps at all, but I am totally new to this and it's quite possible I got some key things wrong. This is being tested over in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/page-7 and I made it very clear I take no credit for your or anyone else's hard work.

Cheers.

AppleIntelE1000e.zip

Hi, gaspimp,

I was not even aware of the 2.4.14's existence. Thaks.

I have checked the changes and difference from Linux source.

I noticed some difference in defines.h/ich8lan.c/ich8lan.h, which still define some obsolete (defined in 2.3, removed in 2.4) values.

Do you still need them ? 

If not, I will remove them ( and corresponding parts in AppleIntelE100e.cpp ) and put your code into the repository.