NV 8400 GS 0x0422 Desktop *FULLY WORKING* QE/QGL/CI

theproto

86 posts in this topic

1.) Remove all Natit and NVinject kexts.

2.) Connect 2 monitors, 1 DVI (Secondary) and 1 VGA (Primary).

3.) Download and install NVIDIA 10.5.2 kexts and OpenGL from:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=18

3.) Edit NVCAPs to display:

<04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000>

4.) Reboot and you should be getting something very similar:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0422

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

C383FA:

Resolution: 832 x 624 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Compaq WF1907:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Rotation: Supported

5.) Thats it there are no more steps unless you want to swap displays and such...

that's jonnie C's installer and how do i edit NVCAPs? and lastly, how do i find out the NVCAP for my Card?

its a 8500gt 256mb

042110de

one last question, you said connect two monitors, can my second (DVI) just run standalone without the vga being there?

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've managed to get QE/CI and resolution working, but

1) Boot time is EXTREMELY long

2) It seems that it can't boot up until I manually try to switch the input source (dvi/vga)

3) DVI is not working at all

Ok, I've managed to get QE/CI and resolution working, but

1) Boot time is EXTREMELY long

2) It seems that it can't boot up until I manually try to switch the input source (dvi/vga)

3) DVI is not working at all

Could you elaborate a bit more on point #2.

Also, what did you use for your NVCAP?

Could you elaborate a bit more on point #2.

Also, what did you use for your NVCAP?

as you can see I've crossed it out - my mistake :rolleyes: It doesn't affect the boot at all. It is just about 3 minutes.

NVCAP is 04000000 00000100 02000000 00000000 00000000 (like given in thread) - don't really know if that affects the result.

ok, did you wait long enough?

which output do you use? dvi?

I waited a good ten minutes or so. Tried both VGA and DVI. Also got black screen using -s and -v. I'll boot-up from the install disc and remove NVinject in a bit.

I've removed NVinject.kext (to experiment more with the gfx string method - it still didn't work). It is actually what is slowing down the boot process. Still there's no better solution yet.

I've got a specific NVCAP for my card (from a bios dump) which didn't make DVI work. I've also tried your variant - it didn't work either. I think it doesn't affect anything at all. So by now only VGA is available.

Anyway, the good news is:

I've finally got my 8400GS fully working with normal boot time! :(

Here's the deal. This is actual for Kalyway release, I can't say for other releases. You need to install the basic system without any video drivers, then install the 10.5.2 Kalyway ComboUpdate, then (many thanks to the commenters here) install the Kalyway Kernel Update (search for "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.zip"), after that you can install the NVinstaller pack from here (with NVinject). You may want to edit your NVinject.kext before rebooting but as I mentioned above, it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all.

That's all. Of course we are waiting for a working DVI solution but this is the best we can get yet.

I've got a specific NVCAP for my card (from a bios dump) which didn't make DVI work. I've also tried your variant - it didn't work either. I think it doesn't affect anything at all. So by now only VGA is available.

Anyway, the good news is:

I've finally got my 8400GS fully working with normal boot time! :(

Here's the deal. This is actual for Kalyway release, I can't say for other releases. You need to install the basic system without any video drivers, then install the 10.5.2 Kalyway ComboUpdate, then (many thanks to the commenters here) install the Kalyway Kernel Update (search for "kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg.zip"), after that you can install the NVinstaller pack from here (with NVinject). You may want to edit your NVinject.kext before rebooting but as I mentioned above, it doesn't seem to affect the performance at all.

That's all. Of course we are waiting for a working DVI solution but this is the best we can get yet.

So, you didn't do anything like changing your NVCAP with this method?

So, you didn't do anything like changing your NVCAP with this method?

I did though I think this isn't required.

Mine is from PNY DVI output is working great on my Plasma TV but the OS hangs for a long time on boot what did you do to resolve that 6apart?

I've additionally installed kalyway 10.5.2 kernel update.

Ok, but if you have AMD what u are going to install?I start getting angry about this things.. How in the world could I install the drivers for this pice os {censored} board 8400 gs on AMD leopard 10.5.2 EFI ????? IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO MAKE A DRIVE FOR THIS? Should i change my video card? maybe my amd too to comply with the intel requirements then why should i chose hackintosh instead of native mac??? I'm at the edge of my peace now....... !@%#^#^$%*&^%

OK

For DVI on my 8400GS XFX 256MB Card (Passive Cooling):

I used NVinject.kext and edited NVCAP to: <04000000 00000300 04000000 00000007 00000000>

This gives me working dvi, but it acts strange when the display goes to sleep. When you wake it up, via the keyboard or mouse, it acts like you pushed "Detect Displays" in System Preferences. Anyway, although this is annoying, it has gotten me working dvi with no boot lag.

-krijonk

• 2 weeks later...