Asus Rampage II Gene Hackintosh

dgsga

80 posts in this topic

Thank you for sharing your DSDT - I've been using it for a day now with no problems. My /Extra/Extensions kexts are AD2000b.kext, OSXRestart.kext and fakesmc.kext.

Sennen,

You shouldn't have to use OSXRestart as that fix is built in. :(

Stell

I also been trying to figure out how to install OSX on this motherboard:

I got

- Intel i7 930

- Asus Rampage Gene II (BIOS 0904)

- WD Black 750 GB Sata HDD (1 Partition GUID) -- Plugged in to SATA 1 Port

- Sata DVD-RW DL drive -- Plugged in into SATA 3 Port

- 6 Gig DDR3

- Visiontek 4870 512MB Video Card

- USB Caddy with 80 GB HDD on it.

I also own a macbook pro to format the hdd and restore disk image to the 80GB HDD.

I tried the guide from this page: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=194312

but every time i tried installing, always stuck at Waiting for Root device (when i use -v cpus=1 busratio=20), if i just let it run, it stuck at the spinning wheel.

Any help ? maybe BIOS Settings ?

PS: I also tried booting using Empire EFI (latest version), and using myHack boot, but still never could get into the OSX Installation page.

Also, just to make sure, for the DSDT.aml, I can just copy and paste to the "restored OSX" and don't need special way to patch/install it.

Thanks

Got SL installed on this board using dgsga's guide (many thanks).

The only thiing I'm missing is eSATA.

I guess I missed something, and/or need to edit something, to get eSATA back.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

BTW, highly recommend this board!

Sennen,

You shouldn't have to use OSXRestart as that fix is built in. :)

Stell

I'm probably being a bit slow, but what is it built into? The DSDT? :(

Without OSXRestart I have problems with restart after sleep.

Edit: I guess the more recent bootloaders have the restart fix built-in. I hadn't updated for a while.

Sennen,

You shouldn't have to use OSXRestart as that fix is built in. :(

Stell

Hi Stell

Have you installed the 10.6.4 update successfully?

Also, can you detail exactly what you have in /Extra ?

Huge thanks,

Doh

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems, have finally installed it, but cannot get Multi Core support, and let it boot.

What settings in BIOS do you guys have for ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC (under the Power Tab), and what BIOS are you guys running ?

If i run with

ACPI 2.0 Disabled

APCI APIC Enabled

and use the -v flag, and says it needs NullCPUPowerManagement, so i load that kext, and then it says that it down with that that io9 Super Class ????

So i tried O/H/R, same type of error, but replacing NullCPUPowerManagement with O/H/R.

If i try to run with

ACPI 2.0 Enabled

APCI APIC Enabled

But it'll crash as soon as the kext's are loaded.

if i use "-v cpus=1 busratio=21" (without the quotes, and it is busratio=21 as i have an i7 930) then it'll list the CPU's as enabled (8 or so of them) and then boot into Mac fine, although without Multicore or HT support.

I'm using stellarola's DSDT

Any help?

Hey All

Well my 2 cents -This board is a pain in the ass. I have my system working but on board Firewire doesnt work.

The only installer I have had any luck with is MyHack and then using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. --With MyHack install -it wont recognize the EVGA GTX 260 core 216 896mg card I have in it -so everytime I reformat -I have to use the ATI Card I have -Sapphire Vaper 4890 2gb-FCP and Adobe dont like this card though-will probally work great under windows.

Updates to 10.6.2 are fine. -10.6.3 was fine -until I lost firewire on my PCI card I put in -Now I cant get it back and reverted to 10.6.2

Also -Sata on board works on 10.6.2 but lose it on 10.6.3.

Anybody wanna buy my system?

Asus Rampage Gene II board (9.04)

EVGA GTX 260 core 216 896mb (ATI Card -Sapphire Vaper 4890 2gb (this is a backup card)

12gb Ram (G-Skill)

i7 930 Processor

1TB Hard Drive

Firewire card -4 ports- ( can hook to front panel put havent yet)

750 Watt Thermaltake Power

3 fans

All Housed In a CUSTOM Modded MAC PRO Case

Brand New case. Not used-Straight from Apple.

Again anyone wanna buy it?

Send offers :unsure: -Have pics if you want

My pc is using main RP II GENE too, but when I use one GT285 MAC work fine , but when i sli 2-way GT285 , i cannot boot to mac , anybody can help ?

info: (may be can help someone )

- BIOS setup: sure that MAC Driver connected on SATA port1, Disable all other Driver, IDE -> AHCI, Disable all setting in CPU - CPU Ratio=20 (if use i7 920) - Core use=1 , Disable MicroATA control

- If you are using SLI , deactive VGA on slot2 only use one VGA on slot1 (to deactive vga you only deactive power cab, and sli connect )

- Use CD: [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported boot first

- I use MAC OS X 10.6.3 retail DVD - Boot in safe mode ( -x -v )

Polishboy**

Hey what did you do to fix your system-My works but I cant get Firewire to work -Not even wit a PCI Firewire card. Had it before but not now -10.6.2 OS

BTW -I see your board has Bios 1307 on it --mine only has 9.0.4 - is it worth updating my board-will everything install OK again ??

M

My pc is using main RP II GENE too, but when I use one GT285 MAC work fine , but when i sli 2-way GT285 , i cannot boot to mac , anybody can help ?

info: (may be can help someone )

- BIOS setup: sure that MAC Driver connected on SATA port1, Disable all other Driver, IDE -> AHCI, Disable all setting in CPU - CPU Ratio=20 (if use i7 920) - Core use=1 , Disable MicroATA control

- If you are using SLI , deactive VGA on slot2 only use one VGA on slot1 (to deactive vga you only deactive power cab, and sli connect )

- Use CD: [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported boot first

- I use MAC OS X 10.6.3 retail DVD - Boot in safe mode ( -x -v )

Polishboy**

Hey what did you do to fix your system-My works but I cant get Firewire to work -Not even wit a PCI Firewire card. Had it before but not now -10.6.2 OS

BTW -I see your board has Bios 1307 on it --mine only has 9.0.4 - is it worth updating my board-will everything install OK again ??

M

Sorry man, can't help you there, i don't use Firewire so i didn't really care - but are you trying to use the port from the back of the motherboard, the dsdt should be doing it for you, try a different dsdt, making a backup of your current dsdt. if that doesn't boot up for you, boot into a disc and use terminal to fix it back.

I don't even know if mine works as i don't have any firewire devices (but i vaguely remember that it recognized it in system profiler, but i cannot confirm 'til in a few days)

let us know how you went.

btw, about my error before, i had been using a 10.5.7 disc, but that recognized my CPU as a 930, 10.6.3 recognizes it as a XEON, which i don't mind cos they cost a bit more :(

Well I wish I knew how to fix my firewire with DSDT --Ive tried to under stand -but I am not the veteran hacker type. -Ive tried to use DSDT LE App -but I dont know what Im doing--Im not even sure how to use Terminal that well -I got my board working with MyHAck and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] --thats the only thing that would work -- I have a PCI firewire card -and when I bought that -I had 10.6.3 on the machine and I plugged it in and it worked . My system got a glich and I reformat and now the FW card doesnt work. I only have 1 PCI slot as well -so I cant move it

Oh well -thats why I wanna sell it ha ha

Any pointers you can give me -that would be great.

Sorry man, can't help you there, i don't use Firewire so i didn't really care - but are you trying to use the port from the back of the motherboard, the dsdt should be doing it for you, try a different dsdt, making a backup of your current dsdt. if that doesn't boot up for you, boot into a disc and use terminal to fix it back.

I don't even know if mine works as i don't have any firewire devices (but i vaguely remember that it recognized it in system profiler, but i cannot confirm 'til in a few days)

btw, about my error before, i had been using a 10.5.7 disc, but that recognized my CPU as a 930, 10.6.3 recognizes it as a XEON, which i don't mind cos they cost a bit more :wacko:

BTW Polish

Does it matter what the OS recognizes your system as --Muitibeast sees mine as an IMAC i7 on 10.6.3 on 10.6.2 it says Intel Core Duo 2

btw, about my error before, i had been using a 10.5.7 disc, but that recognized my CPU as a 930, 10.6.3 recognizes it as a XEON, which i don't mind cos they cost a bit more :(

Jonshu300

I could use your help -I see you have the Asus rampage gene II -as I do -and I see you downgraded from a GTX 260 to 8800 or 8600 -Can I ask why -

I am having trouble using MyHack installer seeing the Nvidia 260 card when I have to do a total reinstall. Its not recognizing the card -It will see my ATI card fine but I dont want the ATI card.

Did this happen to you too --is that why you downgraded?

Jonshu3000 by the way -I can run 10.6.4 on my set up as well - I don't though -cause Im having issues with some After Effects plugins and I think 10.6.2 is going to be the best for me -10.6.3 seems to work fine too

M

Guys, I had fully working system on 10.6.2.

I just upgraded to 10.6.4 using the combo installer and lost sound, also some stability issues.

Anyone upgraded to 10.6.4 and can share insights?

On the sound issue, AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions is probably the problem - 10.6.3 changed this kext to one that didn't work for many setups. If I remember correctly the solution was to backup the 10.6.2 AppleHDA (or find it floating around on the internet) and reinstall it after updating.

HEy Guys

(Sennen)

Just need a little help - Sennen - I see you have a 9600 card - when you first installed OSX on your clean HD -

Did you get a black screen right after OSX asked you to select your language setup -

IF NOT --what installer did you use? -Only luck I have had is with MyHack installer.

The GTX 260 gives me a black screen right after OSX ask for my language selection.

all I need to know is if the 9800 gt will not go black on me and I can continue my install.

M

Jonshu300

I could use your help -I see you have the Asus rampage gene II -as I do -and I see you downgraded from a GTX 260 to 8800 or 8600 -Can I ask why -

I am having trouble using MyHack installer seeing the Nvidia 260 card when I have to do a total reinstall. Its not recognizing the card -It will see my ATI card fine but I dont want the ATI card.

Did this happen to you too --is that why you downgraded?

Jonshu3000 by the way -I can run 10.6.4 on my set up as well - I don't though -cause Im having issues with some After Effects plugins and I think 10.6.2 is going to be the best for me -10.6.3 seems to work fine too

M

I downgraded because I'm not gaming and therefore no reason to have that powerful graphics cars, so I sold it. Before I did though I managed to install perfectly using the compiled dsdt file as instructed in one of the posts on the 2nd page (the really detailed one)

HEy Guys

(Sennen)

Just need a little help - Sennen - I see you have a 9600 card - when you first installed OSX on your clean HD -

Did you get a black screen right after OSX asked you to select your language setup -

IF NOT --what installer did you use? -Only luck I have had is with MyHack installer.

The GTX 260 gives me a black screen right after OSX ask for my language selection.

all I need to know is if the 9800 gt will not go black on me and I can continue my install.

M

I didn't use an installer, but did use a couple of things from myHack like his dual boot guide and pfix.

For graphics I have this in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

That's probably not much help to you but I don't claim to be any sort of expert at this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my R2G using DSDT in this thread minus:

- Firewire hotplug will only work after sleep

- Haven not yet played around with audio (I use an external USB sound card)

Hope to have some more time to work on this and get it 100%, but it looks like Firewire is a tough one to crack.

As a heads up, the DSDTs in the thread do not have the proper C-states so I had to remove the information, recompile, and then use Chameleon w/mozodojo mod, and GenerateCStates=yes boot flags. After that setting that up I was able to get the turbo ratios 1112 enabled and no more AppleCPUPowerManagement timeouts in console.

There are a lot of devices that could be renamed to bring it closer to a real Mac. That will be my project for the next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Need help getting into SL. I refuse to give up yet!

Hi Guys,

I've been attempting to install Snow Leopard (so far unsuccessfully) on my Rampage II Gene.

Here are my relevant specs:

(I have a number of other drives and peripherals, but have removed them for installation purposes)

Asus Rampage II Gene Mobo - Bios ver: 0809

Intel i7 920 (Overclocked to 3.99 GHz.)- Stable at stock temps for over a year now

6 GB OCZ DDR3 1800 MHz. (clocked to around 1600 MHz.)

Samsung 22x DVD/RW SH-S223F (on SATA 1)

1 TB Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB (WD1002FAEX) + Universal USB Drive Adapter

eVGA Geforce GTX 275 (896 MB)

Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Vanilla Snow Leopard Install Disk 10.6 (10A432)

*Placed Sata on ACPI mode, along with turning on ACPI 2.0 and other ACPI options.

Here are the two methods I have attempted so far:

1) First attempted install with the Lifehacker no hacking required method (very difficult to achieve without having a mac of your own). After restoring Snow Leopard image on my 8 GB thumb drive (and patching) my bios no longer detects my usb drive, hence unable to boot from it (my guess is the mobo can't see GUID only MBR).

2) Attempted method using Empire EFI 1.04 cd boot disk then running the Snow Leopard disk. Had great difficulty getting anywhere with this. Never got past "still waiting for root device". I even purchased a USB Optical drive, which worked even worse. As per 'toolshed', I then tried putting my hard drive on a usb adapter and placing my optical sata drive on Sata port '1'. This gave me the furthest results, but fails shortly after "start failed to get acpi path for provider".

If anyone could give me some direction on how to proceed from here that would be awesome. I've tried to be as detailed as possible so if you can see any obvious problems with my configuration let me know.

Also, has anyone attempted SL with an SSD yet? From what I've read lack of TRIM commands and garbage collection effects the performance on HFS+ drives much less than NTFS.

Thanks in advance,

Steve