Asus Rampage II Gene Hackintosh

dgsga

80 posts in this topic

I'd like to recommend this board to anyone thinking about an X58 mobo for their hack, it's a bit steep pricewise but is well worth the investment as it seems very compatible with Snow Leopard. Have got it running beautifully with the attached DSDT and kext which combines Orange Icon Fix and LegacyAudio kexts. The only other kexts I'm using are Netkas' Fakesmc and MasterChief's OSXRestart. You'll need to modify the graphics entry in the DSDT to suit your graphics card. The DSDT enables:

Fully working AD2000b audio (incl. encoded digital audio)

Fully working sleep, auto-sleep, quick shutdown, restart and restart after sleep (thanks ++ to MasterChief)

Full thermal control as per MacPro4,1 (temps same as W**dows) when C-state settings set correctly in bios

Scores just under 12000 in Geekbench with i7 920 CPU overclocked to 3.2GHz

I hope other people can benefit from this as I've spent hours on the DSDT and want to save others the hard graft!

Thanks to all in the OSX86 community whose work has helped me with this.

if i say right, we should run leopard first, i have tryed isntall on iatkos and ideneb, none of them doesn't runs, in this forum many people, tells about perfect installation about this mobo on leopard, i wana install mac snow leopard os x on this mobo, actualy needs to pre install leoprad, someone plz help me and tell about bios settings and patch selection on customization and other things if needs, at end sorry for my bad english typing.... im waiting for your replys, plz zzzzzzzz

Ok, I finally got this to work thanks to the good people from this site. My setup is Rampage II GENE, intel core i7 290, asus nvidia gtx295 (single pcb board), linksys wusb600n ver.2 (wireless usb, works perfect).

first of all, go get empire-efi ver.1.04 from their site (or google the name, not sure if I can give the link to other site in here sorry), the newest one is ver.1.08. download both and burn them into cd. For this board, you don't need to set anything in bios, just make sure that your HDD is on the FIRST sata and there is no other things like dvd-rom or anything. I was having a problem when I have HDD and DVD-Rom on the sata connector the osx doesn't seem to like it. instead i use usb dvd-rom to boot. You can also turn the JMicron off, I don't think it matters but just in case. now after all that, boot the empire-efi ver.1.04 first. wait until it load up, then take the cd out and put your snow leopard disc in (make sure the snow leopard is from retail not the recovery dvd came with your macbook), and hit F5 and until you can the snow leopard DVD logo hit Enter and you are on the way to install OSX.

once you are in the setup menu, goto Disk Utility first, and I assume you are using the entire HDD for this setup. Make sure use "GUID Partition Table" before you format your disk, if you don't, your setup will fail. After that, you can just start installing the OSX.

After installation, take out your snow leopard dvd, and put back the empire-efi ver.1.04 and this time, boot it from your newly installed OSX partition. after you got into the desktop, take the empire-efi 1.04 out and put the 1.08 in. inside there is a folder called Extra/Post-installation. Make sure to run myHack installation first. and after that, you can just run osx on its own with out the empire-efi disc.

hope this helps who ever have this board.

I also used a RIIG.kext from dgsga on this board. this kext helps me ALOT with the sound card and other things on this board. all you have to do is install this kext and you will have onboard sound working 100%. very cool stuff. Thank you very much dgsga.

I couldn't complete the installation with this guide. I have nearly the same hardware as you have, except of the wireless card, but the setup won't start.

i use the empire efi 1.04 cd to boot up and then switch to the snow leopard cd.

then there runs a bit text over my screen, like the linux boot messages.

one thing is a bit odd:

first the setup creates a ramdisk for "/library/colorsync/profiles/displays"

but then there appear some errors about not finding this path.

some more info appear and then the screen is black and nothing happens

what could be the problem? i have also an asus nvidi gtx295, so that shouldn't be a problem.

my hdd is on the first sata port and i have a cd-drive connected with usb.

• 3 weeks later...
I just installed Snow Leopard on my Asus Essentio CG5290 computer and it is working really well. I used information from many posts in this thread, the Lifehacker Hackintosh method, and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh blog, but it still took me 3 days to get everything working. For that reason, I am giving the step-by-step instructions how I got it running (I tried to start a new thread specifically for this computer, but I am a new user so I wasn't allowed to do that). Here are the instructions:

First, prepare a USB external hard drive using the Lifehacker instructions found here: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/09/how-t...tart-to-finish/ The Lifehacker instructions say to use a USB flash drive, but that didn't work for me. My computer wouldn't boot from the flash drive even after I set the BIOS to do so. Perhaps I made a mistake in setting it up, though. Anyway, an external HD will prep faster than a flash drive. If you have more than one internal hard drive installed, you should be able to use one of those instead of a flash drive or external hard drive, as well. Anyway, complete steps 1 through 6 at the previous link, using your flash drive, external hard drive, or secondary internal hard drive.

Before starting the next phase of the installation, you need to swap a new DSDT.aml file into the Extra folder. To generate a new DSDT.aml file, I used the DSDT_copy.dsl file contained in the OP, but modified the graphics card section for the specific card included in the CG5290 (as the OP instructed). I can't upload any files (because I am a new user, I think). To create a new DSDT.aml file, replace the original "Device (IOU1)" section in the DSDT_copy.dsl file here:

Device (IOU1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
			Device (PXS2)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
				Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x16)
						{
							"@0,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@0,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-A"
							}, 

"@1,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@1,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@1,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-B"
							}, 

"NVCAP", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								/* 0008 */	0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07, 
								/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x20
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x0C)
							{
								"NVDA,Parent"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x17)
							{
								"NVIDIA GeForce 9600GSO"
							}, 

"rom-revision", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"62.94.82.00.00"
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
			}

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (PICM)
				{
					Return (AR17)
				}

Return (PR17)
			}
		}

with this:

Device (IOU1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x00070000)
			Device (PXS2)
			{
				Name (_ADR, 0xFFFF)
				Name (_SUN, 0x02)
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x16)
						{
							"@0,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@0,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@0,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-A"
							}, 

"@1,compatible", 
							Buffer (0x0B)
							{
								"NVDA,NVMac"
							}, 

"@1,device_type", 
							Buffer (0x08)
							{
								"display"
							}, 

"@1,name", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								"NVDA,Display-B"
							}, 

"NVCAP", 
							Buffer (0x18)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00, 
								/* 0008 */	0x3C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0A, 
								/* 0010 */	0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}, 

"VRAM,totalsize", 
							Buffer (0x04)
							{
								0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x38
							}, 

"device_type", 
							Buffer (0x0C)
							{
								"NVDA,Parent"
							}, 

"model", 
							Buffer (0x17)
							{
								/* 0000 */	0x47, 0x65, 0x46, 0x6F, 0x72, 0x63, 0x65, 0x20, 
								/* 0008 */	0x47, 0x54, 0x58, 0x20, 0x32, 0x36, 0x30
							}, 

"rom-revision", 
							Buffer (0x0F)
							{
								0xA1, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
							}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}

Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x09, 0x04))
			}

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				If (PICM)
				{
					Return (AR17)
				}

Return (PR17)
			}
		}

I used the instructions found at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/adv...a-graphics.html from a working Leopard install (using iAtkos v7) to get the values for my graphics card. If you have a working Leopard install and an nVidia graphics card, then you can too!

Those are the changes needed for the graphics card included with the Asus CG5290 computer. You will then need to compile the DSDT.dsl file with your changes. Find and download DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e and use it to create a DSDT.aml file. To do this, you need to have a running copy of OSX already. Using OSX, open and terminal and change to the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory (if you don't know how to do this, then in terminal type "cd " and drag the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory into the terminal then hit the enter key. Next, run the DSDT Patcher file on your DSDT file. If you don't know how to do this, you can type "./DSDT\ Patcher " then drag your DSDT.dsl file into the terminal and hit enter. At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press the enter key (for some reason, that is the only key that works, haha). At the "Which OS to emulate?" prompt, type "0" and press enter. This will generate a dsdt.aml file in your DDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory. Rename the dsdt.aml file DSDT.aml. Now drag this new file into the Extra folder you downloaded from the Lifehacker link. Your boot-up disk is now ready!

The next step is to setup your BIOS to enable the booting of OSX. To change the BIOS settings, reboot your computer and when you first see text appear on the screen, press the delete key. The first thing I did in the BIOS was to reuse the settings to their default values. Go to the exit tab and select the "Load setup Defaults" item, press enter, then choose Ok. After that, go to the Advanced tab and set "J-Micron eSATA/PATA" controller to "Disabled." Then go to the Main tab and select the "Storage Configuration" item. In that menu, set "Configure SATA as" to "AHCI." You also need to set your first boot device to your external hard drive, flash drive, or secondary internal hard drive (whichever drive you prepped earlier with the lifehacker instructions) to start the install. To set a USB flash drive to be the boot drive navigate to the Boot tab and select "Boot Device Priority." In the screen that appears, select "1st Boot Device" and set it to "Removable Dev." If you are using an external hard drive or secondary internal drive, you can set that as the primary boot device. To do so, 1st enter the Boot Device Priority menu and set the "1st Boot Device" to "HDD: PO-Hitachi HDT721010SLA360." If you have a different hard drive, it will say "HDD:" followed by a description of whatever drive you have. Next Select the "Hard Disk Drives" Item in the Boot menu. Set the 1st drive to whichever hard drive you prepped using the lifehacker instructions. Now save your settings and reboot by pressing the F10 key and selecting Ok. Those are the only changes you need to make in the BIOS.

Now go back to the Lifehacker instructions and follow "Step 3: Install Snow Leopard." That is it! You should have a working copy of Snow Leopard. Sleep, reboot and turn off all work for me. The graphics card works and supports dual monitors (extended desktop). I don't think sound works, but I don't know for sure. This is my office computer and I don't have any speakers anyway. At this point, you still need your external hard drive or flash drive to be plugged in when booting and set as boot device in order to load the chameleon boot loader. You can keep it that way or you can install the chameleon boot loader on your hard drive by following the same instructions from the Lifehacker site but performing them on your internal hard drive. If you want to keep using your external as the boot drive, make sure that you keep it as the boot device in your BIOS but press a key during the initial chameleon boot loader screen and change to your primary internal hard drive on the graphical menu. If you install the chameleon bootloader on your primary hard drive, then you want to change your boot drive inside the BIOS back to your primary internal drive. Some people then restored the default settings inside the BIOS, but I am just using SATA in AHCI mode still (it doesn't seem to have any negative effect to me).

One last suggestion I have is to create a new partition (either on an external drive or on your internal drive) as a backup and use the SuperDuper! backup program to back up your new install. That way, if anything goes wrong later you can boot into the cloned partition and restore your working settings. Good luck!

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to PM me! Many thanks to everyone I got information from, including the OP, lifehacker and tonymacx86's P55 Hackintosh Blog.

Thanks! I used information from this post to install Snow Leopard on my CG5290 in a relatively painless process. I still have some issues that would love your thoughts on.

I am running the CG5290 with an Nvidia 8600gt card (downgraded from the GTX260).

Installation steps

1. Followed lifehacker instructions from the "no hacking required" post, including running that gigabyte specific installer pack, to create a USB boot disk

2. used the DSDT.aml file from the original post. Did not change anything, just compiled it using these instructions from the quoted post: "Find and download DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e and use it to create a DSDT.aml file. To do this, you need to have a running copy of OSX already. Using OSX, open and terminal and change to the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory (if you don't know how to do this, then in terminal type "cd " and drag the DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory into the terminal then hit the enter key. Next, run the DSDT Patcher file on your DSDT file. If you don't know how to do this, you can type "./DSDT\ Patcher " then drag your DSDT.dsl file into the terminal and hit enter. At the "Press any key to continue..." prompt, press the enter key (for some reason, that is the only key that works, haha). At the "Which OS to emulate?" prompt, type "0" and press enter. This will generate a dsdt.aml file in your DDT_Patcher1.0.1e directory. Rename the dsdt.aml file DSDT.aml. Now drag this new file into the Extra folder you downloaded from the Lifehacker link)

3. Changed BIOS: Configured SATA as AHCI and disabled the J-Micron in the advanced settings. Also set it to boot from USB drive (I had no problem doing that, it just that the bios recognized the USB as a HDD so I had to prioritize it instead of the installed 1tb).

4. Installed to Hard Drive (used disk utility to create GUID partition, Lifehacker explains it)

5. on first boot the welcome video is jittery but no problem finished initial setup. Then I used kexthelper to install the RIIG.kext attached in one of the posts above and nvhelper.kext for the 8600gt.

6. Updated to 10.6.2, no issues

At this point I have a fully functional machine. Everything seems to work. Ethernet, sound, graphics, sleep, restart - even the card reader, which is a nice surprise.

The thing that bothers me now is the "about this mac" part. I suspect it's just cosmetics, but still. It shows unknown cpu and the memory as DDR2 instead of DDR3. Also, it shows 4 cores while I thought the i7 should have 8. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks everyone for the help. I think the CG5290 is one of the best out-of-the-box hackintosh options available today. At $720-800 (depending on retailer and availability) it's great value.

Hi All

I have this board and I have tried everything at this point -I cant get the board to see the boot file.

ANd I dont know how to mod the DSDT file.

I just built the system -so everything is fresh. I have a MAC Book pro -I can use to do whatever Mods I need to do.

I have read and read and tried to follow the instructions but I just cant get it to boot.

I dont have a thumb drive big enough to work so I have been using a usb portable drive to try and boot.

I also have an external cd/dvd rom drive I can use.

Please help

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone. Everything is working on machine, or so I thought it was. My sound was originally working, I used the lifehacker install method. I am running a asus gene rampage II motherboard with the i7 930 processor.

After I got my machine up and running, I then updated the .dsdt files with the ones dsga provided. After updating this file, I think this is when my sound stopped working. I installed the voodo text originally with the life hacker method, so I went to go check my systems folder and it was still there. I then deleted it, and re-installed it with the voodoo text again that was provided on this thread, but still I have no sound.

Do you know what could of possibly went wrong? Any help with be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hello Everyone. Everything is working on machine, or so I thought it was. My sound was originally working, I used the lifehacker install method. I am running a asus gene rampage II motherboard with the i7 930 processor.

After I got my machine up and running, I then updated the .dsdt files with the ones dsga provided. After updating this file, I think this is when my sound stopped working. I installed the voodo text originally with the life hacker method, so I went to go check my systems folder and it was still there. I then deleted it, and re-installed it with the voodoo text again that was provided on this thread, but still I have no sound.

Do you know what could of possibly went wrong? Any help with be greatly appreciated. Thank you

OK I figured out whats going on. I updated the computer to 10.6.3, and this update renders the sound useless. I tried doing all the fixes on tony macs blog, but none of them worked. I even tried his 10.6.2 appleHDA fix, that didn't work either.

I basically used all the dsdt files from this thread, and the voodoo files etc. Has anyone else upgraded to 10.6.3 yet and fixed the sound problem? If so, please let us know how you did it!!

Thanks!!

yes!!!!!! My sound works! :D

This is what I did, for those of you still trying to get sound to work.

My specs:

1. asus gene ii rampage motherboard

2. i7 930 processor

1. So basically, Delete all traces of HDA, apple, voodoo, etc in your extras/extensions folder, and systems extensions folder.

2.Rebuild cache using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

3. Restart

4. Install the 10.6.2 applehda using the hda installer

5. Put vodoo kext into your extras, extensions folder and not your systems folder!

This worked for me, hope it all works for you too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

First of all: THANKS for your helpings in this topic!

But I`m still having problems with my MOBO ASUS Rampage Extreme II (ever<ything is activated in bios) and maybe you can help me as an beginner:

I have installed SL 10.6 with original DVD, brand new disk und only plugged disk on SATA 1 and external DVD on USB as mentioned before. This way works due to some problems with internal DVD on SATA #2 (didn`work together for some reasons). I have only used Empire EFI 1.085 instead of 1.04 (didn`t work for me).

Now I`m having theses problems:

- Keyboard doesn`t work when SL is starting (I can only use it for starting option on account). Mouse is fine.

- LAN/Interntet: can`t find anything so no access.

Furthermore I don`t know how I can use/install the DSDT_copy.dsl.zip (by dgsga). Maybe you have an detailled step-by-step for me (just beginner :wacko: )

Do you have any ideas?

Kind regard from Germany

• 2 weeks later...
i try this guide,but i fail!when loading snow leopard dvd,and loading driver in a black window,the process don't complete because appear "STILL WAITING FOR ROOT DEVICE"

i selected in the bios of mb ahci and i disabled the jmicron,but didn'work anyway....

any suggestion?thx

I am having the same problem with the Empire EFI method. I have also tried the lifehacker method using an internal IDE hard drive with an external USB cable. I was able to prepare the drive but I cannot boot off the drive. I think it may be because the drive is IDE and not SATA but not really sure.

When I try using the realityiswhere boot cd I am also unsuccessful. I own a retail copy of snow leopard and when I insert and attempt to boot off of it, I just says that it can't find the mach kernel and returns to the boot screen.

BTW i'm am trying to install this on a Asus Essentio CG5290. The machine is completely stock, core i7 920 processor, 9 gig ram, 1 GTX 260 video card. Is there anyone out there that can help me I have been reading and re-reading these forums but none of the suggested methods have worked thus far. It should also be noted that I have successfully built a hackintosh before using the Kalyway build on a Dell D600.

I really hope someone can help me

-cyde928

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your work people.

Still waiting for root device is probably due to 1) not having set AHCI in BIOS, or trying to boot from a disk using MBR.

I'm having another type of disk problem. Set AHCI, boot from EFI, then setup using SL disk, get into Disk Util and try to partition the disk (using GUID). No matter what partition scheme I try, DU gets stuck 'unmounting disk' which is interesting, because the disk was not shown as mounted.

Tried using Paragon disk utility on a Win**** machine to delete partitions, and set up empty partitions, but I get similar results. Which makes me wonder if I missed something?

Rampage Gene, 930, Ballistix, LG SATA DVD drive, Samsung 1TB. Using EFI 1.08 and SL Retail.

DVD and hard disk are on SATA ports 1 and 2 (have tried other ports also).

Also, whilst the disk access light flashes on power on, it is not flashing at other times. The DVD drive LED is on as normal.

Thanks for all your work people.

Still waiting for root device is probably due to 1) not having set AHCI in BIOS, or trying to boot from a disk using MBR.

I'm having another type of disk problem. Set AHCI, boot from EFI, then setup using SL disk, get into Disk Util and try to partition the disk (using GUID). No matter what partition scheme I try, DU gets stuck 'unmounting disk' which is interesting, because the disk was not shown as mounted.

Tried using Paragon disk utility on a Win**** machine to delete partitions, and set up empty partitions, but I get similar results. Which makes me wonder if I missed something?

Rampage Gene, 930, Ballistix, LG SATA DVD drive, Samsung 1TB. Using EFI 1.08 and SL Retail.

DVD and hard disk are on SATA ports 1 and 2 (have tried other ports also).

Also, whilst the disk access light flashes on power on, it is not flashing at other times. The DVD drive LED is on as normal.

I've heard that there have been some major problems with using LG DVD drives with OSX in the past, and recommend you use a Sony Optiarc DVD drive. I have also heard that installing/booting from a MBR format requires a special modified OSinstall.mpkg(if you google it then you can find it easily). Your best bet would be to change your DVD drive to a Sony Optiarc, since these drives seem most compatible, and install SL on a GUID formatted Hard Drive. I would assume from your post that you are trying to dual boot SL and Windows from the same hard drive, but in my experience you should use a separate hard drive for each OS in order to prevent these problems from occurring. But as I said before, using the modified OSinstall.mpkg should allow you to dual boot as you want to.

Hope this helps

yes!!!!!! My sound works! :whistle:

This is what I did, for those of you still trying to get sound to work.

My specs:

1. asus gene ii rampage motherboard

2. i7 930 processor

1. So basically, Delete all traces of HDA, apple, voodoo, etc in your extras/extensions folder, and systems extensions folder.

2.Rebuild cache using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

3. Restart

4. Install the 10.6.2 applehda using the hda installer

5. Put vodoo kext into your extras, extensions folder and not your systems folder!

This worked for me, hope it all works for you too!

What the man said :-)

However, I had to do this a couple of times before it actually worked.

A couple of tips for the install process

1.) Do not have more than 4GB of Ram installed during the installation process. Once everything is installed and the DSDT is active, more can be added

2.) In the BIOS, set C-state limiter (or whatever that option is called) to C6 instead of Auto. If left on auto, the apple-acpi-power-kext-thingy does not work correctly, and the processor runs a lot hotter than necessary (a good 20 watts during idle, in fact).

3.) If you need to install the bootloader only from a sata dvd-drive, and end up getting sata timeouts during installation (because two sata devices are connected), it actually works to unplug the dvd sata-plug after the EFI bootloader has been read, and you are in the "press any key to continue"-prompt. The installation will work fine from there.

I've heard that there have been some major problems with using LG DVD drives with OSX in the past, and recommend you use a Sony Optiarc DVD drive. I have also heard that installing/booting from a MBR format requires a special modified OSinstall.mpkg(if you google it then you can find it easily). Your best bet would be to change your DVD drive to a Sony Optiarc, since these drives seem most compatible, and install SL on a GUID formatted Hard Drive. I would assume from your post that you are trying to dual boot SL and Windows from the same hard drive, but in my experience you should use a separate hard drive for each OS in order to prevent these problems from occurring. But as I said before, using the modified OSinstall.mpkg should allow you to dual boot as you want to.

Hope this helps

Big thanks! Will try those suggestions.

What the man said :-)

However, I had to do this a couple of times before it actually worked.

A couple of tips for the install process

1.) Do not have more than 4GB of Ram installed during the installation process. Once everything is installed and the DSDT is active, more can be added

2.) In the BIOS, set C-state limiter (or whatever that option is called) to C6 instead of Auto. If left on auto, the apple-acpi-power-kext-thingy does not work correctly, and the processor runs a lot hotter than necessary (a good 20 watts during idle, in fact).

3.) If you need to install from a sata dvd-drive, and end up getting sata timeouts during installation (because two sata devices are connected), it actually works to unplug the dvd sata-plug after the EFI bootloader has been read, and you are in the "press any key to continue"-prompt. The installation will work fine from there.

Thanks again!

Removed 1 x 2GB stick leaving 2 x 2GB

Having trouble finding the C-state limiter (I'm on 1104/latest BIOS) - which section is it under?

Pulled the SATA plug on the DVD drive, but the system didn't like that. Will try again when I set

the C-state, if no-go will get hold of an external USB DVD drive.

OK, found the C-state options - bottom of CPU options.

Swapped LG drive for Samsung, and found that DVD on SATA1, and disk on SATA3

gave a better result. Hard disk LED was not illuminating previously (except a flash

at boot) but under this config drive access improved. Got into Disk Tool, created

partitions (before it got stuck at 'unmounting disk....'). But it hung halfway thru

formatting.

Tried an older Pioneer IDE DVD drive - booting from EFI gives an IO type error.

Have ordered a USB DVD drive.

Any suggestions while I wait?

EDIT - forgot to mention that when I pulled the 1x2GB, it hung on 'waiting for root device'

- now back on 6GB

Hi yall,

So I've installed OSX to a separate hard drive and just put it into my Asus CG5290. I had sound working at one point but then it disappeared. I'll figure it out later I guess.

My biggest problem is that my hackintosh now doesn't want to start up if I have more than 4gb of RAM installed. With 4gb it starts just fine, but if I put anymore it stay at the grey apple screen with the loading spinning sign forever. Any ideas?

Just got hold of an external USB DVD drive.

Able to boot using the EFI x.08 version boot disc

When I switch the disk to SL Retail, and press F5/Enter, nothing happens. Its like the

system is not seeing the new disk.

Can I get system attention 'boot:' and enter some parameters on the command line? (what?)

Switched to the Rampage boot disc, and when I switch to SL Retail and press F5/Enter,

I get a message 'memory error' - this was not showing on the EFI disc.

USB DVD drive is set in BIOS as the first boot device.

Any ideas?

OK, I found out a few things:

My USB DVD drive is NOT DL - duh...

So I put back the SATA DVD, and put the hard disk on an external USB.

Using EFI, the install now completes.

So I replace the EFI DVD, reboot, and select the install, system starts booting,

and hangs after

PATCHED DMI TABLE

Hope I've not made any more silly mistakes, but any ideas?

UPDATE - OK, I'm in - running SL from the external USB drive (which I'll swap into the PC case later). This might be a better option for some - if you have an external USB caddy - use with a SATA DVD (saves buying a USB DVD).

Where I just went wrong was - I forgot to boot from 1.02/4 EFI. I was able to boot from 1.04 as OP suggested, get into SL, then swap to 1.08 EFI to apply the updates in Extras. Now I need to sort out the video card (8800GS), and, I guess, do some patching...

Its looking good.

Here's the latest update:

Have developed a 'micro-DSDT.dsl' which is fully functional with this board (thanks due to MasterChief for his hard work). Reduced to a fraction of the original size. Use with attached kext, attached PC-EFIV10.5 boot file and fakesmc.kext for a fully functional SL 10.6.2. Supports sleep, auto-sleep, restart and shutdown, no restart kext at long last thanks to Duvel300. Remember to change the info under Device (IOU1) to match your graphics card before you compile. Your graphics card needs to be in the slot nearest the edge of the mobo for it to work as I have removed all the devices not used by SL.

Enjoy!

Hi dgsga

I'd like to use your DSDT.dsl but I have an ATI 4870 graphics card, and to make things worse it won't fit in the slot nearest the edge of the board, can you give me any pointers as to how I might edit your dsl to activate the other slot?

I have the gfx card currently working using a kext, so does this mean I can simply remove the 'Device (IOS1)' section and compile your DSDT?

I noticed there is a working DSDT for my gfx card here but I'm still learning and have not figured out how to 'merge' DSDT files yet.

Thanks for all your hard work with the Gene II, it's much appreciated.

Heres an alternative DSDT for everyone.

Changes:

-Speedstep working (no matter if you overclock or not)

-Removed Graphics injection (in case someone wants to use an ATI card or other injection method)

-Kept all the original code from the first post as the edited one the thread leader posted doesn't work when plugging in other devices (wifi, network, etc) in PCI slots.

dsdt.aml.zip

Heres an alternative DSDT for everyone.

Thank you for sharing your DSDT - I've been using it for a day now with no problems. My /Extra/Extensions kexts are AD2000b.kext, OSXRestart.kext and fakesmc.kext.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your posts - have been almost idle at work for a week as nothing has been coming and have been reading a lot on the internet. This has reminded me how I wanted to dual boot once I had a decent computer - and now I do.

Will post up my results once (and if) I finish the install, once I get the SL Disc off a friend 8]