Chameleon 2 RC3 - timeout problem

smnhtkmpr

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I successfully installed 10.6 a few days ago. The Bootloader I am using is Chameleon 2 RC 3, everything's fine but I am not able to get the countdown to work. I know I have to edit the boot.plist in /Extra by adding

<key>"timeout"</key>
       <string>5</string>

But this won't work for me. I only have one partition so I think the "default partition"-thing is useless in my case... any ideas?

Regards, Simon

i know thats a different problem.. but the syntax needs to match what is discussed on that thread.

<key>"timeout"</key>
<string>5</string>

should be changed to:

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

also, make sure you are editing the correct boot.plist file (you may have to edit the file under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist )

best way to do it is to copy the current file to ur desktop.. make the edit.. and then replace it back in the original folder. OR you can edit it in terminal as root.

sorry, I misunderstood you :thumbsdown_anim:

but I used the right synthax without the " before and also tried both plists without any change, chameleon still won't boot automatically :censored2:

Do you mean you want it to boot straight into OSX w/out going to Chameleon? If so, from what I understand, that's not possible. I have mine set Timeout 2 and it goes quick enough that it doesn't bother me, and still gives me time to hit a key if I need to add a flag or somet...I also have the boot time in my BIOS set to 2.

nono i like to start out of chameleon with 5 seconds countdown, but it doesn't work, no matter what i write into the boot.plist .

with 10.5 this wasn't a problem for me, but now with chameleon 2 and snow leopard the way it should work don't work for me...

hope you guys were able to understand my english, ignore grammar mistakes :D

ok, this is what the plists look like with the timeout included

boot.plist in /Extra :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_32</string>
       <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>y</string>
	<key>timeout</key>
       <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration :

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>timeout</key>
       <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

(what i've recognized now: my installation boots in 64 bit mode but in the plist of Extra is written 32 bit ... i'm a bit confused now... )

thanks for the answer but still no change :-/

Here is my file you only need to change the file in the /Extra directory for it to work and if wanting it to boot 32 bit then you need arch=i386 in the Kernel Flags part.

cat /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist 
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=x86_64 -v</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>5</string>
	 <key>GUI</key>
	 <string>n</string>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1920x1200x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Here is my file you only need to change the file in the /Extra directory for it to work and if wanting it to boot 32 bit then you need arch=i386 in the Kernel Flags part.

cat /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist 
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=x86_64 -v</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>5</string>
	 <key>GUI</key>
	 <string>n</string>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1920x1200x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

thanks a lot - i only added the "no-gui-string" and now it is working, didn`t like the gui anyway :)

case sensitive?

i tested this on my machine today.. and it turns out that it is infact case sensitive. and you dont need anything else additional to make it work.

you simply need to add this code in your boot.plist

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

this will not work: <key>timeout</key>