Asus Eee PC 1201N

kadath

220 posts in this topic

Well, this should work. (Run on the usb disk, if you have problems, reformat and restore the dvd to the usb drive again).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/1201n/NetbookBootMaker.zip

Again, this will just get it booting. I haven't added any extra kexts to it yet.

When you install it, it'll loop at generating the dsdt, just quit and run NetbookInstaller from the Utilities menu (selecting not to generate the DSDT, I've included a patched one for you).

The unable to patch 64bit error is just there because I haven't setup chameleon to patch the 10.6.2 kernel for x86_64 (yet).

Well, this should work. (Run on the usb disk, if you have problems, reformat and restore the dvd to the usb drive again).

Again, this will just get it booting. I haven't added any extra kexts to it yet.

When you install it, it'll loop at generating the dsdt, just quit and run NetbookInstaller from the Utilities menu (selecting not to generate the DSDT, I've included a patched one for you).

The unable to patch 64bit error is just there because I haven't setup chameleon to patch the 10.6.2 kernel for x86_64 (yet).

thanks, please forgive me I'm a newbie with this process, let see if i understand you, run netbookbootmaker and select my usb drive,let the process finish (i don't see any menu for selecting not to generate the dsdt) when you run netbookmaker , and then drag netbookinstaller program icon to utilities menu folder and execute netbookinstaller ,uncheck generate the dsdt and process it, am i correct.? thanks for your patience...

-Hyperthreading only works in 10.5.6 not in Snow Leopard

-Try nvidia drivers as the ethernet port is a component of the Nvidia ION system

-Have kexts from other eee PC models been applied to fix sleep issues?

-Wifi is confirmed useless, is there a replaceable wireless-N card that works though?

Not sure if I'm buying this little machine anymore, waiting until January to see if the mythical apple tablet exists and if there will some new netbooks at CES.

WOOT

Ethernet Possible Solution

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125569

(remove nvenet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and put nForceLAN.kext there - could not get it running via /Extra/)

All you do is...

1) Run NetbookBootMaker (witht he usb drive as the target).

2) Install OS X using the usb drive.

Just did that 3 times, still won't boot after 4 to five loops and then panic at last loop. see screenshot below. no luck for me....my bios is version 0317 by the way, don't know if that matters.

Hi there, first off all sorry for my bad english i'm portuguese lol.

What copy of Snow Leopard are you using ? (version)

How do I open Netbookmaker?

And how i can boot snow leopard from a usb drive? I know how to boot windows.. But how i can i copy os x to a pen drive?

Thank you very much :(

Well, I just got my macbook back and double checked that everything works. Try this one (works for me, I also upgraded to the 0317 bios).

What Works

- Sleep (you need to tap a key or press the power button to wake though). The device unmount error does occur when a usb drive is connected. I'll have to look into a way to fix that.

- Hyper threading works on *one* core at the moment (aka, shows up as three cpu cores). I'll look into making it work on both since the Atom and OS X benefit from HT.

- Keyboard / touhcpad (two finger scrolling works, configure it in the prefrence pane). Not that the multitouch capabilities of the touchpad are not being used (assuming it has any).

- Camera

- Both the 64bit kernel and 32bit kernel work fine. If you plan on using the 64bit version, don't upgrade to 10.6.2 yet.

What doesn't work

- Restart / Shutdown

- Ethernet (No this is *NOT* made by nvidia, it's an atheros chip).

- Built in wifi (requires a swap)

- I haven't added any audio kexts, but it's running the ALC 885 codec for the non hdmi audio. VoodooHDA can be used and does work (although not very well).

- Special function keys

- Battery (I need to clean up the kext as it has been causing issues). Right now the 32bit version is included.

To use:

Copy DVD dtive to a usb drive using Diskutil

run NetbookBootMaker, selecting the USB drive as the target.

Boot the USB drive form the 1201n by pressing esc to get to the boot menu.

pirosca:

I only support using the Retail ($30) Snow Leopard DVD purchased from apple. With this method, you currently need a mac to make it work. In the future you will be able to do it from Linux / Windows.

Well, I just got my macbook back and double checked that everything works. Try this one (works for me, I also upgraded to the 0317 bios).

What Works

- Sleep (you need to tap a key or press the power button to wake though). The device unmount error does occur when a usb drive is connected. I'll have to look into a way to fix that.

- Hyper threading works on *one* core at the moment (aka, shows up as three cpu cores). I'll look into making it work on both since the Atom and OS X benefit from HT.

- Keyboard / touhcpad (two finger scrolling works, configure it in the prefrence pane). Not that the multitouch capabilities of the touchpad are not being used (assuming it has any).

- Camera

- Both the 64bit kernel and 32bit kernel work fine. If you plan on using the 64bit version, don't upgrade to 10.6.2 yet.

What doesn't work

- Restart / Shutdown

- Ethernet (No this is *NOT* made by nvidia, it's an atheros chip).

- Built in wifi (requires a swap)

- I haven't added any audio kexts, but it's running the ALC 885 codec for the non hdmi audio. VoodooHDA can be used and does work (although not very well).

- Special function keys

- Battery (I need to clean up the kext as it has been causing issues). Right now the 32bit version is included.

To use:

Copy DVD dtive to a usb drive using Diskutil

run NetbookBootMaker, selecting the USB drive as the target.

Boot the USB drive form the 1201n by pressing esc to get to the boot menu.

pirosca:

I only support using the Retail ($30) Snow Leopard DVD purchased from apple. With this method, you currently need a mac to make it work. In the future you will be able to do it from Linux / Windows.

thanks, do I really need a real Mac to run Netbookbootmaker/Netbookinstaller? while restoring Retail SL dvd to usb drive, coz I'm using Eeepc 1000H hackintosh 10.5.6 to do all this process for my 1201n. I feel like i overlooked something . I know my 16g usb flash drive is setup to ignore ownership. Do you think my flash drive wasn't patch properly by netbookbootmaker? We have exact the same hardware 1201n US version. I'm still getting to boot/kernel panic.

The problem is that the Extensions.mkext isn't being used.

Can you post a copy / listing (including file sizes) of what is located in /Extra

The problem is probably due to you using 10.5.6 to prepare the installer. I'll look into why it's not working.

EDIT: I might have fixed the 10.5 issue. Try this

Note that there is *no* need to restore the DVD every time.

The problem is that the Extensions.mkext isn't being used.

Can you post a copy / listing (including file sizes) of what is located in /Extra

The problem is probably due to you using 10.5.6 to prepare the installer. I'll look into why it's not working.

how do make Extra directory to show up in my flash drive, i think its hidden, only have 3 items listed (install mac os, optional installs and instructions) after Netbookbootmaker did its thing...

okey, I will try that 10.5 now, reformat and restoring now....

Type cmd + shift + g in finder, and then type Extra

I'd try the new NetbookBootMaker though, it should work (if not, I'll upload my /Extra folder).

Hi Meklort,

I uploaded my extra folder from my usb flash drive patch by 10.5x netbookbootmaker , still not loading properly i think while booting, still panic...attached file below.. will it work if you upload your extra folder then i paste to my flash drive...thanks meklort, feel like i owe you some donation thru paypal.

http://rapidshare.com/files/327290441/1201...older_files.zip

I'm updating my Extras files to dropbox, will take about 8 minutes (probably less). I'll update this post when it's up.

While you are waiting, try booting with the following option

arch=i386

You also might want to try renaming /Extra/GeneralExtensions to /Extra/Extensions and try booting again (without arch=i386 first, then with it if it doesn't work).

I'm updating my Extras files to dropbox, will take about 8 minutes (probably less). I'll update this post when it's up.

arch=i386

You also might want to try renaming /Extra/GeneralExtensions to /Extra/Extensions and try booting again (without arch=i386 first, then with it if it doesn't work).

okey, well do...

You can get a copy of my /Extra folder here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/1201n/Extra.zip

i'll try this...extra folder now

renaming generalextensions to extensions ( no arch=i386) failed.

booting with arch=i386 failed too.

i'll try this...extra folder now

renaming generalextensions to extensions ( no arch=i386) failed.

booting with arch=i386 failed too.

Meklort, at last.......finally your extra folder did the trick, getting MacOSX installer screen now...Oh...my....well keep updated after installation is done....Thank you so much..

vince.

thanks....

Up and running now, great job Meklort.....as far audio kext nothing loaded right now correct? my sound output device is greyed out....only have device ID showing 0X104383CE in sytem profiler....I don't really know how to thank you enough and great support from this forum....

vince,

arch=i386

I get "unable to patch 64bit Kernel", then double kernel panic....