GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Looks like you already have this... Ah, well a second reference won't hurt.

d00d,

Your first post says your looking for a i7-980x DSDT.

I extracted the attached DSDT using 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 . My config was:

i7-980x

GA-EX58-UD5 rev1.0

BIOS 12

The raw DSDT is i7-980x-unedited-from64bUBT1004-dsdt.aml

I compile it via DSDTSE 1.4.3 and fixed a couple of compile errors.

i7-980x-postDSDTSE-dsdt.*

No other hand edits were made. Only the automated optimization done by DSDTSE.

Jon

i7980xDSDT.zip

Hi RR,

After a decent night of sleep and getting a new perspective on this board, I tried setting the HD to not spin down in Energy Saver and that seems to have fixed the problem of damage to the boot sector when it does spin down/sleep. It's a sticking plaster fix but it works for now.

I then upgraded to 10.6.4 and used the legacy kext from your Extra folder and the Apple HDA you sent me with the dsdt file as mentioned by Dood. It has stopped the sound error messages during the boot but I still cannot get any sound output—the sound screens look like the attachments.

Is there some patching I need to do?

Dood also found that the RealtekR1000SL. kext from bit shoveller does not support the RTL8111E on this board which is why no network—we are seeing if the kext can be modified. Does your version 1 board have the RTL8111E and how do you get a network connection?

Thanks for any advice.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 installs a new AppleHDA.kext overwriting the older version. Remember to binpatch the new 1.8.7.f1 to restore audio

No_sound_output.tiff

Sound_More_info.tiff

I just tried the following patch procedure on the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext for the ALC889 on the X58A-UD5. Don't know if it will work!

Short tutorial how to patch the binary of applehda - necessary if you want to use applehda.kext 10.6.3 with legacy kext and dsdt patch if you have alc888 or alc889 audio codec (not necessary if you have alc889a codec):

download hexfiend Hex Editor - copy applehda 10.6.3 to your desktop - right click it - show package contents and go to the folder /Contents/MacOS

then open the applehda binary file located in this folder with hexfiend

for alc888

Search for 8508ec10 and replace with 8808ec10 (all 4 instances)

for Alc889

Search for 8508ec10 and replace with 8908ec10 (all 4 instances)

for AD2000B

Search for 8B19D411 and replace with 9B98D411 (all 4 instances)

Save the file and copy the binpatched applehda.kext into /System/Library/Extensions

Hi RR,

After a decent night of sleep and getting a new perspective on this board, I tried setting the HD to not spin down in Energy Saver and that seems to have fixed the problem of damage to the boot sector when it does spin down/sleep. It's a sticking plaster fix but it works for now.

I then upgraded to 10.6.4 and used the legacy kext from your Extra folder and the Apple HDA you sent me with the dsdt file as mentioned by Dood. It has stopped the sound error messages during the boot but I still cannot get any sound output—the sound screens look like the attachments.

Is there some patching I need to do?

Dood also found that the RealtekR1000SL. kext from bit shoveller does not support the RTL8111E on this board which is why no network—we are seeing if the kext can be modified. Does your version 1 board have the RTL8111E and how do you get a network connection?

Thanks for any advice.

I have read this string time and time again... I just have no experience with this stuff and the more I read, the more I realize that this is incredible information that I will most likely never be able to use.

I'm speaking up because I hope that isn't true and I'm missing something.

I have a 2-day-old Gigabyte X58-UD5, with a i7 920 that I setup with Kakewalk. I was under the assumption that if I setup with Kakewalk everything would be cool and pretty much OOB. And it kind of is... I mean, I am typing this from the computer afterall. But whe I did my software update I came up to 10.6.4 without realizing I was moving beyond what I think Kakewalk was built for.

I have 3 problems (that I know of)

1. I have no sound. I tried adding audio kexts via the kext utility and it wasn't doing it, so I started manually putting them into the extensions folder and before I knew it I was kp on every startup and just re-installed everything fresh. Now I'm leary of kexts (and quite honestly software updates)... but I did update again to 10.6.4 and now I have no sound again... but don't really know what to do about it. Since this method seems to get around kexts it seems like it would be really stable even with updates... am I right?

Is there a really simplified (possibly a video) tutorial on how to implement what d00d outlines? I know that what you put down is probably super straightforward, but I don't know any of the jargon, and/or the assumed knowledge (like what a dsdt is, let alone where to find it or what to do with it once I do). If I am incapable of implementing this, is there anyone that does it for hire via VNC or something?

2. I have no idea how hot my processor should be or how to be tracking it. Is there a common piece of software you all use to track it? I have the Corsair H-50, but beyond that I don't know how I'm performing.

3. I don't know what I don't know. I've used macs for years and I thought this was going to be more plug-and-play for someone like me, and I was wondering if there will ever be a point where I can just use this machine like a regular mac or do I need to have an ongoing battle with this machine? If so, I am going to have to have a few semesters at whatever school you all went to to learn all of this highly technical stuff.

I would sincerely appreciate your help. Am I beyond help?

Some progress—I can now see all the audio hardware in About this Mac but still no Output and Input in SP Sound settings.

I have tried the Legacy889HDA.kext at Tony's. I have tried editing the 10.6.4 AppleHDA. kext as described above, I have tried RankRotten's LegacyHDA. kext. I have tried changing the HDEF code in the dsdt file as described at Tony's. I have tried RR's dsdt code unmodified—completely stumped.

Audioprogress.tiff

My audio has ID=889 in System Profiler, yours has ID=12?

post-204913-1276673548_thumb.png

Here is the binpatched AppleHDA from 10.6.4 for the ALC 889

AppleHDA.kext.zip

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway.

I did have working optical audio SPDIF but it no longer works, I must have made a change somewhere. Never mind as three line outs can be grouped together for multichannel 5.1 audio

The line outs correspond to the top row of three back panel analogue outputs: Centre / Sub LFE, Front L and R, Rear L and R and can be grouped together in the Audio MIDI application as an aggregate device feeding into a 5.1 audio amp

post-204913-1276675617_thumb.png

First, many thanks for sticking with this RR.

I just reinstalled your legacyHDA.kext in /Extra and replaced my edited 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext with the one you posted in S/L/E then ran Kext utility to fix all permissions and caches, etc. However, About this Mac–More Info–Audio (built-in) still shows ID=12 not 889.

So there is something going on that I don't understand between your F3 bios and my FA bios (I am using your dsdt.aml file too).

Where does this ID=12 come from?

My audio has ID=889 in System Profiler, yours has ID=12?

post-204913-1276673548_thumb.png

Here is the binpatched AppleHDA from 10.6.4 for the ALC 889

AppleHDA.kext.zip

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway.

I did have working optical audio SPDIF but it no longer works, I must have made a change somewhere. Never mind as three line outs can be grouped together for multichannel 5.1 audio

The line outs correspond to the top row of three back panel analogue outputs: Centre / Sub LFE, Front L and R, Rear L and R and can be grouped together in the Audio MIDI application as an aggregate device feeding into a 5.1 audio amp

post-204913-1276675617_thumb.png

LegacyHDA in /Extra enables the pin configurations adding two other line outs. I'm sure this could be done in DSDT but the kext will override it anyway

Lets get rid of LegacyHDA in E/E and use the DSDT along with the binpatched AppleHDA in S/L/E

Make the following changes to Device (HDEF):

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0A)
					{
						"built-in", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}, 

"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						/**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC889"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (Zero) {}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

What Audio ID: is listed now in System Profiler?

OK, RR—round 20.

I went back to first principles and started with a clean install using Kakewalk from a USB with OSX installer on it.

KW does not have the X58A-UD5 revision 2 so I chose X58A-UD7. It installed fine and I immediately updated to 10.6.4.

It booted fine with full QE/CI on the 4870 but no network or sound again. I then swapped the DSDT.aml file in E/E for the one you built for me and added your legacyHDA.kext and the 10.6.4 edited AppleHDA.kext. Fixed permissions and caches and rebooted and now I get ID=889 in Audio (built-in) like you have. However there are still no input output devices in SP Input and Output!!!!!!!!

Where to go from here?

First, many thanks for sticking with this RR.

I just reinstalled your legacyHDA.kext in /Extra and replaced my edited 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext with the one you posted in S/L/E then ran Kext utility to fix all permissions and caches, etc. However, About this Mac–More Info–Audio (built-in) still shows ID=12 not 889.

So there is something going on that I don't understand between your F3 bios and my FA bios (I am using your dsdt.aml file too).

Where does this ID=12 come from?

OK, RR—round 20.

Where to go from here?

We both posted at the same time ^^ so perhaps you did not see my edited post just above yours. ;)

I have since added tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext to E/E along with the HDEF edit and it has re-enabled my optical audio.

:D

Must have a poke around and see where it hooks into and try to add the code into binpatched AppleHDA for simplicity's sake.

/E/E only contains IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and the optional Legacy889HDA kexts now, its looking a bit bare in there with the new FakeSMC living in S/L/E

I just tested Open GL performance with CINEBENCH_11.529 after updating to 10.6.4.

The score went down dramatically from 37.4 to 14.6.

I have nVidia GTX 285 and Cuda 3.014 driver installed.

Can someone with the same card test Open GL performance on 10.6.4 ?

just updated to 10.6.4 - for some reason, my ethernet stopped working altogether, even though I have ethernet enabled in the DSDT (not in com.apple.boot.plist or with kext).

Couldn't explain it, so I gave up and re-installed the RTGNICv2.0.4.pkg realtek driver (which from what I can see just has the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in it)... now my ethernet's back...

But what I really don't understand, is there is *no* realtek .kext or AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in my S/L/E or *anywhere* - so how is this possible?

FWIW - here's the only extensions I could see in S/L/E that were modified in the 10.6.4 update:

System.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IONDRVSupport.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AudioAUUC.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

I have since added tonymac's Legacy889HDA.kext to E/E along with the HDEF edit and it has re-enabled my optical audio.

I can confirm that the Legacy889HDA is necessary - I've been following your audio posts, as d00d's recent help with just patching the applehda didn't do anything. I had also not touched anything in DSDT for audio (step 14) as my board was different, and the instructions link specific to my board pointed to only using the patched AppleHDA and LegacyHDA - which didn't work.

d00d has indicated that no DSDT patching is necessary for audio if using those kexts, but for me, there was no audio at all - until I finally inserted rankrotten's DSDT edit for Device (HDEF). That, in combination with rankrotten's 10.6.4 patched AppleHDA and tonymac's Legacy889HDA has restored fully-functional audio - including digital encoded 5.1 s/pdif!

just to clarify, I'm on a X58A-UD3R REV2 board (which does have 889 audio), but these same fixes for the UD5 that most people have are working for me too.

/E/E only contains IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and the optional Legacy889HDA kexts now, its looking a bit bare in there with the new FakeSMC living in S/L/E

new FakeSMC? you mean the alterations in d00d's post #1? and why in S/L/E instead of E/E?

I can confirm that my GTX 285 is also significantly slower after 10.6.4 update.

that sucks, can you successfully replace the NV* kexts with the ones from 10.6.3?

Even the 10.6.3 update significantly lowered Geekbench scores for many cards in OpenGL. I wonder if this is an apple strategy, or maybe im just paranoid....

Hi RR,

YOU ARE THE MAN.

Sound now works fine from the back panel using the new dsdt.aml without LegacyHDA.kext in E/E and TonyMac's Legacy889HDA.kext in E/E. It also looks like optical works too. I will test later.

The last remaining bug is the RealtekR1000SL.kext not supporting the RTL8111E on this board—Dood, any progress with bit shoveller?

I will post in detail later today how we got this all running but the main step was to use the Kakewalk 2.2.1 USB installer for an X58A-UD7 and then change the dsdt in E/E to this one you sent me.

Later.

We both posted at the same time ^^ so perhaps you did not see my edited post just above yours. :)

:P

Must have a poke around and see where it hooks into and try to add the code into binpatched AppleHDA for simplicity's sake.

Thanks to everyone for helping to nail down audio for the ALC889 (and ALC888), I've updated item 14.

just updated to 10.6.4 - for some reason, my ethernet stopped working altogether, even though I have ethernet enabled in the DSDT (not in com.apple.boot.plist or with kext).

Couldn't explain it, so I gave up and re-installed the RTGNICv2.0.4.pkg realtek driver (which from what I can see just has the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in it)... now my ethernet's back...

But what I really don't understand, is there is *no* realtek .kext or AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in my S/L/E or *anywhere* - so how is this possible?

It updates /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

Just a quick update—the RTGMac_v2.0.4 driver that looks like it support the RTL8111E (32-bit) does not seem to work on this X58A-UD5 rev. 2. The installer says it is for a PCI-E network adapter and after the install, there is no visible realtek driver in S/L/E.

Still searching for a solution.

Thanks to everyone for helping to nail down audio for the ALC889 (and ALC888), I've updated item 14.

My Geekbench and OpenGL numbers haven't changed with 10.6.4.

It updates /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.

Just a quick update—the RTGMac_v2.0.4 driver that looks like it support the RTL8111E (32-bit) does not seem to work on this X58A-UD5 rev. 2. The installer says it is for a PCI-E network adapter and after the install, there is no visible realtek driver in S/L/E.

Still searching for a solution.

If you manually open the RTGMac204 pkg with pacifist it extracts an AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Double check it is not already installed as d00d suggests by right clicking and showing package contents on IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Right I'm off to hit the sack and not to lay in bed thinking of kexts and DSDT edits tonight.

Zzzzzzzz 0x8 Damn

:D

Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. Hamlet.

Tried installing thru Pacifist and this is what I see—no Ethernet hardware!

If you manually open the RTGMac204 pkg with pacifist it extracts an AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Double check it is not already installed as d00d suggests by right clicking and showing package contents on IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

Right I'm off to hit the sack and not to lay in bed thinking of kexts and DSDT edits tonight.

Zzzzzzzz 0x8 Damn

:wacko:

no_Ethernet.tiff

Fortunately, this board has a single PCI slot and a new Ethernet port popped up as found as soon as I plugged in a PCI NIC with the Realtek8169 chipset. It at least gives me Internet access without going via Firewire sharing but it would be nice to get the two onboard RTL8111E Ethernet ports working too.

Good-night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. Hamlet.

Tried installing thru Pacifist and this is what I see—no Ethernet hardware!

Fortunately, this board has a single PCI slot and a new Ethernet port popped up as found as soon as I plugged in a PCI NIC with the Realtek8169 chipset. It at least gives me Internet access without going via Firewire sharing but it would be nice to get the two onboard RTL8111E Ethernet ports working too.
Have you tried resetting the ports according to the instructions in post 1?