New iMac refresh now has Core i5 / i7 - HD 4670 etc ..

10 posts in this topic

I tried the beta 10.6.2 kernel with core i5. No support yet :poster_oops: and the i5/i7 iMacs will probably be released in the second half of november... so who knows, maybe 10.6.3? Or they'll still add it to 10.6.2. Or they gonna come with a custom kernel and 10.6.3 will appear later with official support... well, we won't know until the release of 10.6.2/november :-)

I tried the beta 10.6.2 kernel with core i5. No support yet :( and the i5/i7 iMacs will probably be released in the second half of november... so who knows, maybe 10.6.3? Or they'll still add it to 10.6.2. Or they gonna come with a custom kernel and 10.6.3 will appear later with official support... well, we won't know until the release of 10.6.2/november :-)

Well the 4670 is a mobile item, just look at the new iMac teardown pics on iFixit, step 22. 256 mb of Ram was a good giveaway, but the 4850 is also a notebook unit. Now, the question is whether the cores are close enough so that kexts intended for a mobile card works on a desktop unit twice its size.

What's the status of the 4850; are desktop 4850 using the iMac unit's kexts or are they using those from the Mac Pro's 4870?