P6T Deluxe/i7 920/GTX 285 - I just wasted £1100 (maybe!)

imacken

53 posts in this topic

Well done imacken - it's great to read you have now got your system running. And well done to bertmannaustria for the excellent help. I do have on eye on both of your threads for future reference if I ever decide to build a new machine... Keep up the good work.

I am glad you got most everything sorted. I have a question: why are you using the ATY injector? Are you using three plus monitors and two plus vid cards? If you are only using one monitor then dump the injector. dump the Geforce kexts and use efi string. Ive got a working p6t deluxe v2. had 10.6.2 running on it but went back to 1. I got an ssd hdd and use only IOGraphicsFamily,kext from cid's site. if its working dont mess with it. if not then maybe this is something to contemplate. IOGraphicsFamily is the only kext I use in SLE I only have four or five kexts in VEEE. I use a gtx 260 with dual monitors. everything is fast and flawless. If you want ill send you m¥ kexts' but it seems like everything is under control. P6T deluxe v2 is an awesome setup. I was a laptop person before my 6t, nøw I have to say this sounds like a great learning experience. you must know your machine by now. I prefer my 6t over my macbook anyday. its just an amazing piece of equipment. with retail os x on it it makes it even better. Give us an update let us know just how it worked out for you. I would like to know.

good luck

unext

OK guys, I just used the EFI string for the GFX 285 from the Aquamac site, put it into the boot.plist and everything is now working perfectly!

I did the Yukon ethernet patch to IONetworkingFamily.kext as per http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182978. The only thing is that my network adaptor shows up as en3. Is that a problem? I thought that it needed to be en0 for some things to work. This happened because the old adaptor frm my Gigabyte board was still in there. Can I just remove it and let it re-appear on reboot?

OK guys, I just used the EFI string for the GFX 285 from the Aquamac site, put it into the boot.plist and everything is now working perfectly!

I did the Yukon ethernet patch to IONetworkingFamily.kext as per http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182978. The only thing is that my network adaptor shows up as en3. Is that a problem? I thought that it needed to be en0 for some things to work. This happened because the old adaptor frm my Gigabyte board was still in there. Can I just remove it and let it re-appear on reboot?

some kind of software binds its license to en0 nic, maybe time machine won't work too, you should use

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

in your boot.plist with chameleon

delete the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

NetworkInterfaces.plist

com.apple.network.identification.plist

and reboot, now your nic should show up as en0

You really are the man!

That's fixed it. Is there no end to your knowledge?!?

sure, i'm very bad at writing 32/64 bit kernel extensions for some hardware at this time ;)

One more question, how can I tell if Bonjour is working?

• on a windows pc, you can install bonjour for windows
  • test a bonjour compatible printer
  • you can test it with skype and adium
  • use Bonjour Browser
  • if you are using an iphone, install briefcase and allow ssh connections on your hack/mac and you can see, if the iphone can find your hack/mac using bonjour

but if you are using a native network card with chameleons network card fix, it should work anyway

OK, today I'm going to start the Snow install.

I thought I would try my old (previously-working) retail install with my new DSDT file in the Chameleon boot partition, and of course it didn't work.

However, it did get to the 'screen going blank/video kicking in' bit, so I guess it's the video card again.

I remember a few posts back that you said 'i have to use an efi string AND patch the NVDANV50HAL kext too to get into the desktop with an gtx 295'.

Can you give some details on that as it would seem that I need to do the same.

Thanks.

ya you have to edit the info.plist inside NVDANV50HAL and then generate an efi string

do you know how to do that? if not,

• post a screenshot of you system profiler with graphics/displays selected
  • get gfxutil.zip goto terminal, drag gfxutil into and add "-f display"
  • it should look like "./gfxutil -f display" - send me the output

is it the gtx 295, gtx 295+, gtx 295 co-op?

i'm gonna explain what you did and how it works afterwards, i just don't want to confuse you

• on a windows pc, you can install bonjour for windows
  • test a bonjour compatible printer
  • you can test it with skype and adium
  • use Bonjour Browser
  • if you are using an iphone, install briefcase and allow ssh connections on your hack/mac and you can see, if the iphone can find your hack/mac using bonjour

but if you are using a native network card with chameleons network card fix, it should work anyway

Don't really understand all that. I don't want to test in Windows, and I don't use have an iPhone. As an aside, I do have a Windows mobile smartphone which doesn't get recognised in Snow at all. Works perfectly in Leo, and syncs with iCal and Entourage. I'd love to get that little problem resolved - any ideas?

ya you have to edit the info.plist inside NVDANV50HAL and then generate an efi string

do you know how to do that? if not,

• post a screenshot of you system profiler with graphics/displays selected
  • get gfxutil.zip goto terminal, drag gfxutil into and add "-f display"
  • it should look like "./gfxutil -f display" - send me the output

is it the gtx 295, gtx 295+, gtx 295 co-op?

i'm gonna explain what you did and how it works afterwards, i just don't want to confuse you

Did you see post #28?

I used the technique from http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1 and put the EFI string into boot.plist. Didn't go anywhere near the NVDANV50HAL file at all. (It's a 285 not 295 - my mistake in the original title of the thread.)

Some screens are below.

Have I done everything OK?

sc1.tiff

sc2.tiff

sc3.tiff

Don't really understand all that. I don't want to test in Windows, and I don't use have an iPhone. As an aside, I do have a Windows mobile smartphone which doesn't get recognised in Snow at all. Works perfectly in Leo, and syncs with iCal and Entourage. I'd love to get that little problem resolved - any ideas?

sorry, my explanations are very confusing sometimes :)

i tought you only got some windows computers for testing because i can remember, you got no leo or snow running system, if you got at least 2 of them, sure you can use them for testing bonjour ;)

i just wanted to say, that you can test bonjour with a windows pc too.

what kind of windows mobile is it, at first goto system preferences/sharing and activate file sharing on your hackmac start sharing over smb too, maybe the windows file sharing protocol (smb) needs to start before you can see your mobile

Did you see post #28?

I used the technique from http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...=509&page=1 and put the EFI string into boot.plist. Didn't go anywhere near the NVDANV50HAL file at all. (It's a 285 not 295 - my mistake in the original title of the thread.)

Some screens are below.

Have I done everything OK?

ya it looks great :)

ahh okay, ya if it's a card below gtx295 you don't have to edit a kext to get full resolution, qi/ce.

sorry, my explanations are very confusing sometimes :(

i tought you only got some windows computers for testing because i can remember, you got no leo or snow running system, if you got at least 2 of them, sure you can use them for testing bonjour :(

i just wanted to say, that you can test bonjour with a windows pc too.

Sorry to be so stupid about this, but HOW do I test bonjour?

what kind of windows mobile is it, at first goto system preferences/sharing and activate file sharing on your hackmac start sharing over smb too, maybe the windows file sharing protocol (smb) needs to start before you can see your mobile

File sharing (incl SMB) active, but still won't recognise the connection at all - I mean no reaction when I plug it in.

It's a Samsung Omnia, but I've tried my son's HTC710 and it's the same. Same in all 3 Snow installs I've done on different hardware.

Everything works fine in Leo with the phones - just plug them in and they are there!

Sorry to be so stupid about this, but HOW do I test bonjour?

download and run Bonjour Browser on your HackMac, if bonjour is working it should show up some services, if not the browser window will be totally empty.

File sharing (incl SMB) active, but still won't recognise the connection at all - I mean no reaction when I plug it in.

It's a Samsung Omnia, but I've tried my son's HTC710 and it's the same. Same in all 3 Snow installs I've done on different hardware.

Everything works fine in Leo with the phones - just plug them in and they are there!

hmm that's strange because HTC710 isn't supported in leopard/snow leopard (like most of the windows mobiles), but if you are using "The Missing Sync" it will run fine. maybe you had a patched iSync framework in leopard?

download and run Bonjour Browser on your HackMac, if bonjour is working it should show up some services, if not the browser window will be totally empty.

hmm that's strange because HTC710 isn't supported in leopard/snow leopard (like most of the windows mobiles), but if you are using "The Missing Sync" it will run fine. maybe you had a patched iSync framework in leopard?

Screen from Bonjour browser is below.

The phones aren't supported by iSync. I use Syncmate on Leo which works like a dream syncing contacts, appointments, etc. with Entourage.

I'm probably not explaining my self too well here, but the problem is that the phone USB connection is not being recognised at all by any of the Snow installs I have done. It's not that it won't sync, it's that there is nothing at all when I plug them in.

In Leo, if I connected either of the phones, iSync will say 'iSync cannot sync with this device' or something similar, but in Snow - nothing.

sc.tiff

Screen from Bonjour browser is below.

The phones aren't supported by iSync. I use Syncmate on Leo which works like a dream syncing contacts, appointments, etc. with Entourage.

I'm probably not explaining my self too well here, but the problem is that the phone USB connection is not being recognised at all by any of the Snow installs I have done. It's not that it won't sync, it's that there is nothing at all when I plug them in.

In Leo, if I connected either of the phones, iSync will say 'iSync cannot sync with this device' or something similar, but in Snow - nothing.

hi, your bonjour seems to work :)

in system profiler / hardware / usb

is it showing up at the tree?

if not, install the snow leopard development tools (on the retail dvd) and run "usb prober"

start it, click on "USB Logger", it will ask you for installing a kext, accept, reboot and run again "usb prober", goto "USB Logger" again, unplug you phone if it's plugged in, choose level 7 - most detail, hit start and plug in your phone

post your output please, if nothing happens, check your usb ports, legacy usb enabled/disabled in bios?

hi, your bonjour seems to work :pirate2:

in system profiler / hardware / usb

is it showing up at the tree?

if not, install the snow leopard development tools (on the retail dvd) and run "usb prober"

start it, click on "USB Logger", it will ask you for installing a kext, accept, reboot and run again "usb prober", goto "USB Logger" again, unplug you phone if it's plugged in, choose level 7 - most detail, hit start and plug in your phone

post your output please, if nothing happens, check your usb ports, legacy usb enabled/disabled in bios?

It shows up on the USB tree in System Profiler. What now?

sc2.tiff

okay, it says "Device has not been configured".

that means, there is no kernel extension loaded to work with that device.

did you already install a synchronisation tool for you windows mobile?

Yes, I have Syncmate installed with driver. Connection just not recognised, not even if I select 'Add Connection, Windows Mobile USB device'.

In Leo, even without Syncmate, if I go to iSync, then it recognises the phone but says it can't sync with devices of that type.

Yes, I have Syncmate installed with driver. Connection just not recognised, not even if I select 'Add Connection, Windows Mobile USB device'.

In Leo, even without Syncmate, if I go to iSync, then it recognises the phone but says it can't sync with devices of that type.

sorry but i don't remember, are you running snow leopard in 32 or in 64 bit mode?

64 bit.

I tried to boot into 32 bit with arch=i386 in the boot.plist file, but I just got an immediate KP!

Update: I removed offending kext from E/E which was voodoopowermini, booted into 32 bit, and yet again, you have identified the problem!

Phone works perfectly in 32 bit - recognised immediately and syncs with Syncmate automatically.

So, any chance of getting this to work in 64-bit?

Well done!

64 bit.

I tried to boot into 32 bit with arch=i386 in the boot.plist file, but I just got an immediate KP!

Update: I removed offending kext from E/E which was voodoopowermini, booted into 32 bit, and yet again, you have identified the problem!

Phone works perfectly in 32 bit - recognised immediately and syncs with Syncmate automatically.

So, any chance of getting this to work in 64-bit?

Well done!

as long as the syncmate developers won't compile a 64bit compatible kext, you can only run in 32 bit mode. maybe "the missing sync" is snow leopard 64 bit ready.

as long as the syncmate developers won't compile a 64bit compatible kext, you can only run in 32 bit mode. maybe "the missing sync" is snow leopard 64 bit ready.

Syncmate latest version won't work in 64 bit which is strange as they say it's Snow compatible.

I can't find a trial version of The Missing Sync to see if it works and I'm not going to waste the money to try! Any ideas?

As an aside - and I know it's a big question - is there any real advantage in running 64 bit?

Syncmate latest version won't work in 64 bit which is strange as they say it's Snow compatible.

it's compatible to the average consumer snow leopard (32bit)

I can't find a trial version of The Missing Sync to see if it works and I'm not going to waste the money to try! Any ideas?

i'm gonna have a look

As an aside - and I know it's a big question - is there any real advantage in running 64 bit?

if you are using more than 12/24/32 gigabyte of ram, yes :P

btw only xserve or newest mac pro's running in 64 bit mode

but if you are using a 32bit kernel you can start a 64bit application although.

64bit kernel/extensions will bring performance boost for server applications (on which server you gonna sync your mobile?! :( ), if you ask me, stay in 32bit kernel mode.

Well, the good news is that I found a trial to download on the MarkSpace site, but it certainly isn't obvious!

The bad news is that it won't install - see below.

Funny thing is that you get directed to the web site page seen in the screenshot, tells you to remove the Networknterfaces.plist file, reboot and all will be well. Well, I've got news for them - it isn't!

Is nothing simple!?!

sc4.tiff

Well, the good news is that I found a trial to download on the MarkSpace site, but it certainly isn't obvious!

The bad news is that it won't install - see below.

Funny thing is that you get directed to the web site page seen in the screenshot, tells you to remove the Networknterfaces.plist file, reboot and all will be well. Well, I've got news for them - it isn't!

Is nothing simple!?!

hehe it will be well if you are on a real macintosh computer :) but you should go on and tell them your news :D

goto "System Preferences/Network", delete everything, not delete your

• NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • com.apple.network.identification.plist

be sure to use the EthernetBuiltIn Key in com.apple.Boot.plist as suggested by chameleon.

after reboor readd your network interfaces in "System Preferences/Network"

your ethernet card has to be "en0", try the installer for missing sync again, if it isn't working, your ethernet card wasn't recognized as en0, repost if it is so and i'm gonna help you :)

hehe it will be well if you are on a real macintosh computer ;) but you should go on and tell them your news :D

goto "System Preferences/Network", delete everything, not delete your

• NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • com.apple.network.identification.plist

be sure to use the EthernetBuiltIn Key in com.apple.Boot.plist as suggested by chameleon.

after reboor readd your network interfaces in "System Preferences/Network"

your ethernet card has to be "en0", try the installer for missing sync again, if it isn't working, your ethernet card wasn't recognized as en0, repost if it is so and i'm gonna help you :)

We did that in posts #28 and #29. It is en0 already. I got it to install by removing the installercheck, but it still doesn't work.

Phone seems to connect OK in RNDIS, but doesn't show up in the Missing sync main window.

Two screenshots from the log, one from trying serial USB and one RNDIS.

sc6.tiff

sc7.tiff

We did that in posts #28 and #29. It is en0 already. I got it to install by removing the installercheck, but it still doesn't work.

Phone seems to connect OK in RNDIS, but doesn't show up in the Missing sync main window.

Two screenshots from the log, one from trying serial USB and one RNDIS.

I tried re-doing what you suggested with en0, then Missing Sync installed OK, but still the same problem, i.e. it seems to connect OK but no activity in Missing Sync at all.

sc_RNDIS.tiff

sc_serial.tiff

I tried re-doing what you suggested with en0, then Missing Sync installed OK, but still the same problem, i.e. it seems to connect OK but no activity in Missing Sync at all.

hmm did you already try another usb connected phone?

try to change bios settings for usb (legacy) btw AND add the usbfix key into chameleon boot.plist ;)

are you using onboard usb or usb card?