• Please log in to reply
1858 replies to this topic

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets

Following a kext installation, repair permissions then simply delete the obsolete Extensions.mkext along with the kernelcache in the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup directory then reboot.
The kernelcache will be automatically regenerated by the system upon reboot.

Just for reference, here are all the latest files (kexts, plists and DSDT) needed to viably boot and operate the XPS M1530 under the OS X 10.8.x

Thanks a lot, where do you put the extensions? If I compare to the first post only FakeSMC goes to /Extra/Extensions

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,973 posts
Hi!

In Mountain Lion, unlike anterior iterations, these kexts should be installed at /S/L/E.

Good to know you decided to give ML a go on your system. Are you using the patched 10.8.x kernel from AnV?

All the best!

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts

Good to know you decided to give ML a go on your system. Are you using the patched 10.8.x kernel from AnV?
All the best!

Ohhhh, thanks again.

No, the kernel I am using is the Vanilla one from 10.8.3

So you dont need to replace IOUSBFamily.Kext and IOBluetothFamily.kext ?

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Thanks a lot, where do you put the extensions? If I compare to the first post only FakeSMC goes to /Extra/Extensions

As theconnactic has already mentioned, ever since the OS X 10.7, the /Extra/Extensions directory along with the Extensions.mkext itself is now completely obsolete and unnecessary.
ALL kexts are now to be installed into the /System/Library/Extensions directory as the kernelcache could only by generated from there and nowhere else.

Ohhhh, thanks again.

No, the kernel I am using is the Vanilla one from 10.8.3

So you dont need to replace IOUSBFamily.Kext and IOBluetothFamily.kext ?

To the best of my knowledge, in our systems the regression of the USB and the Bluetooth kexts is unnecessary as they are all "vanilla" under the 10.7.x - 10.8.x

Hi!

In Mountain Lion, unlike anterior iterations, these kexts should be installed at /S/L/E.

All the best!

The Dell XPS M1530 and M1330 requires no kernel patching, the native kernel retains full compatibility with our rigs.

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts

As theconnactic has already mentioned, ever since the OS X 10.7, the /Extra/Extensions directory along with the Extensions.mkext itself is now completely obsolete and unnecessary.
ALL kexts are now to be installed into the /System/Library/Extensions directory as the kernelcache could only by generated from there and nowhere else.

To the best of my knowledge, in our systems the regression of the USB and the Bluetooth kexts is unnecessary as they are all "vanilla" under the 10.7.x - 10.8.x

Excellent, I take back the original kexts and seems fine.

luaduck

luaduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Detecting internets
I get the feeling I've made a moumental cockup somewhere, but here goes: I updated from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 using Combo, making sure to move AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext out as suggested by immo here before rebooting. It did come with an interesting side effect, though, with a lovely [ PCI configuration begin ] hang and a stuck pinwheel. I've tried all the tips that google can provide, like graphicsenabler=no, npci=0x2000, and PCIRootUID=1 with no avail. Any ideas? I can't even boot into single-user mode as it's hanging way before then. Did I just forget to recopy some kexts or something?

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

I get the feeling I've made a moumental cockup somewhere, but here goes: I updated from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3 using Combo, making sure to move AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext out as suggested by immo here before rebooting. It did come with an interesting side effect, though, with a lovely [ PCI configuration begin ] hang and a stuck pinwheel. I've tried all the tips that google can provide, like graphicsenabler=no, npci=0x2000, and PCIRootUID=1 with no avail. Any ideas? I can't even boot into single-user mode as it's hanging way before then. Did I just forget to recopy some kexts or something?

Simply roll back your existing AppleACPIPlatform.kext to that of the Snow Leopard (v1.3.6). :blink:

Attached File  AppleACPIPlatformV1.3.6.kext.zip   425.64KB   17 downloads

luaduck

luaduck

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Detecting internets

Simply roll back your existing AppleACPIPlatform.kext to that of the Snow Leopard (v1.3.6). :blink:

Attached File  AppleACPIPlatformV1.3.6.kext.zip   425.64KB   17 downloads

Thanks babe, I think you've got me out of a tight spot (although it's now hanging at a grey apple even booting in verbose what) nevermind it was a journal issue

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Thanks babe, I think you've got me out of a tight spot (although it's now hanging at a grey apple even booting in verbose what) nevermind it was a journal issue

No problem, we are here to help each other. :angel_not:

Fa90

Fa90

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Hi, so i posted in the old XPS Compilation thread, but DarwinX mentioned this thread to me :)

My problem is that my XPS M1530 with the T8100 CPU only runs at 600 mhz in Mountain Lion, instead of 2,1ghz

I tried it with severals kexts, but nothing changed :(

Here is a Picture of my Specs:
(Attachement)

Cheers,
Fred

Attached Files

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Hi, so i posted in the old XPS Compilation thread, but DarwinX mentioned this thread to me :)

My problem is that my XPS M1530 with the T8100 CPU only runs at 600 mhz in Mountain Lion, instead of 2,1ghz

I tried it with severals kexts, but nothing changed :(

As our systems are nearly identical, If you use the files which I provided, this should not happen.

G5rocks

G5rocks

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Does someone got 10.8.4 working? Does not work for me so far (reboots during startup)

immo

immo

Insanely Looking for Time to Hack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Does someone got 10.8.4 working? Does not work for me so far (reboots during startup)

I have not, but since nobody else has answered, that's the same issue I had with 10.8.3. If you haven't already, remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.
See here:
http://www.insanelym...80#entry1897508

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

The only roll back that the 10.8.4 update required was that of the AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext and nothing else.

Attached File  AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext.zip   20.36KB   20 downloads

I have not, but since nobody else has answered, that's the same issue I had with 10.8.3. If you haven't already, remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.
See here:
http://www.insanelym...80#entry1897508

Alternately, give this modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext a try:

Attached File  AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.zip   45.39KB   17 downloads

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Just successfully installed 10.8.4 on my xpsm1530 today from the combo update. Same procedure as 10.8.3: Before rebooting the computer after the update finishes,

• Replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext ver 1.7 with ver 1.3.5
  • Replace AppleHDA.kext ver 2.3.7 with ver 1.7.4a1 (I don't use voodooHDA)
  • Deleted AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext ver 100.12.87

from S/L/E. You can use kext wizard to reinstall the older kexts (this repairs permissions etc), then reboot chameleon with -v -f flags.

indiandragon

indiandragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Researcher

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement [Version : 100.12.87] : [How to] 

Guys, this is how I got the latest AGPM kext working. I did this during 10.8.3 update and it's works fine after 10.8.4 update also. I can confirm the G states are working properly on my 8600m GT and might work on 8400m also.

I'm using MacbookPro 5,1 SMBIOS, so my AGPM edit is - 

<key>MacBookPro5,1</key>
				<dict>
					<key>LogControl</key>
					<integer>1</integer>
					<key>Vendor10deDevice0407</key>
					<dict>
						<key>BoostPState</key>
						<array>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<integer>2</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>BoostTime</key>
						<array>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
							<integer>3</integer>
						</array>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>250</integer>
							<key>SensorOption</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>57</integer>
								<integer>70</integer>
								<integer>88</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>68</integer>
								<integer>75</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>17</integer>
					</dict>
				</dict>

Console Output :

Attached File  AGPM_8600m.png   181.46KB   23 downloads

Attached : Modded AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext [Version: 100.12.87] for MacBookPro 5,1(8600m)

Attached Files

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Guys, this is how I got the latest AGPM kext working. I did this during 10.8.3 update and it's works fine after 10.8.4 update also. I can confirm the G states are working properly on my 8600m GT and might work on 8400m also.

I'm using MacbookPro 5,1 SMBIOS, so my AGPM edit is

Until now, I had forgotten and couldn't recall the originator of said AGPM patch. As the author appears to be the indiandragon, I must fully accredit him for its origination.

On a side note, patching the AGPM kext thusly versus completely deleting it does allow for smother graphics and slightly lower GPU temperatures.

CryzHiss

CryzHiss

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

---shortened---

attachicon.gif AGPM_8600m.png

Attached : Modded AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext [Version: 100.12.87] for MacBookPro 5,1(8600m)

Wow, thank you! I think this fixed the kernel panic I got when reading specific info about my GPU (like in System Profiler or iStat Menus) since I installed ML. I'm not going to revert the changes and check, so either way, I'm blaming you :). Thanks again!

oSxFr33k

oSxFr33k

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:Sound and Graphic Design. Electronics in general.

Does it look like 10.8.x will be the final chapter for the XPS-M1530 or is it possible it may work under Mavericks?

DarwinX

DarwinX

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Does it look like 10.8.x will be the final chapter for the XPS-M1530 or is it possible it may work under Mavericks?

Apart from the OS X 10.9 code signing verification requirement for kexts and the /System directory lockdown, the OS X 10.9 retains its compatibility with our hardware.

Kext Requirements for OS X 10.9 Mavericks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy