[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I having Kernel Panics on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext after 10.9.2 Update

Any idea what could be causing it?

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext was updated in 10.9.2. If you previously patched it for locked MSR 0xE2, you need to do it again.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext was updated in 10.9.2. If you previously patched it for locked MSR 0xE2, you need to do it again.

Never patched it, I am getting the original 10.9 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from my MacPro Time Machine backups, version shows 216.0.0 before the update and after update.

I will testing it

Kernel Panic also with previous AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext :(

Never patched it, I am getting the original 10.9 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from my MacPro Time Machine backups, version shows 216.0.0 before the update and after update.

I will testing it

Kernel Panic also with previous AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext :(

Apple goofed. The kext is updated, but has the same version number.

I move out AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /S/L/E but System is very slow, SLOW AS HELL 

:cry:

You have no posted a pic of your panic, so I can't be sure, but if it is because of locked MSR 0xE2 (if in the panic RCX=000000E2), then you should install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Otherwise, it is probably something to do with an incorrect SSDT setup...

How come "incorrect SSDT setup" after no KP with 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9 and 10.9.1 with almost the same DSDT.aml, no modifications on SSDT entries on the DSDT.aml from this topic nor using any SSDT.aml file?

Here the Screen Capture:

IMG_8684.JPG

How come "incorrect SSDT setup" after no KP with 10.7.x, 10.8.x, 10.9 and 10.9.1 with almost the same DSDT.aml, no modifications on SSDT entries on the DSDT.aml from this topic nor using any SSDT.aml file?

Here the Screen Capture:

attachicon.gifIMG_8684.JPG

Looks like HPET problem. Have you patched DSDT for HPET?

@macgirl,

The HPET section in your DSDT has an extra

IRQNoFlags ()
                            {15}

and Return (0x0B) instead of (0x0F)

compared to the HPET section in my DSDT for the XPSm1530

Maybe try with the DSDT attached below where I have removed the offending IRQNoFlags ( ) {15} and changed 0B to 0F

Tried but same result :(

Thanks.

MacGirl I think that this is your problem. This DSDT never worked for me. It also gave me kernel panics. Try using the DSDT on the first post from September 29, 2012. If that doesn't work on it's own try also changing your machine type to MacBook5,2 if it is not already. Make sure you do NOT have the DropSSDT or GeneratePStates boot flags enabled.

• Like 1

MacGirl I think that this is your problem. This DSDT never worked for me. It also gave me kernel panics. Try using the DSDT on the first post from September 29, 2012. If that doesn't work on it's own try also changing your machine type to MacBook5,2 if it is not already. Make sure you do NOT have the DropSSDT or GeneratePStates boot flags enabled.

I updated 1 Mac and 2 Hackintoshes with downloaded 10.9.2 update for saving time on the download process

I updated my XPS-M1330

Will try your DSDT right now, no DropSSDT on my boot flags, but GeneratePStates is set to Yes, I'll changing it also

Thanks

I think I had some kexts missing in my installation, I compared to my Mac Pro /S/L/E those were not in my XPS-M1330:

AppleHIDKeyboard.kext

AppleHIDMouse.kext

AppleHPET.kext

AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext

AppleHSSPISupport.kext

AppleHWAccess.kext/

I put back AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and no Kernel Panics anymore

I've successfully updated my m1530 to 10.9.2 without issue. However, I am experiencing one Clover related problem. I have hibernatemode set to 29 and the deep sleep is working properly but I am experiencing a CMOS reset on the subsequent boot. I've tried with both the 10.9.2 AppleRTC and a rollback to the previously 10.9.1 AppleRTC. Additionally, the AppleRTC flag in Clover's KernelAndKextPatches section is set to YES. Any thoughts?

@LatinMcG, thanks for your suggestion - Do you mean to remove the Device (AGP) section or are you referring to nVidia injection?  My DSDT already has the nVidia section stripped out so relies on bootloader GraphicsInjection=Yes.

post-846696-0-03177000-1393925056_thumb.png

I couldn't find the string "VGA" in my DSDT....It would be nice if a dsdt fix could be found for the reboot on second sleep problem with the XPSm1530, using the native Mavericks AppleACPIPlatform.kext.....

To summarize the situation at present:  On my machine using Clover & DarwinX's DSDT for the XPSm1530

• For OSX 10.9.0->10.9.2+native AppleACPIPlatform.kext ----> machine goes to sleep & wakes successfully the first time you invoke sleep (through Apple menu or closing the lid) but when you try to make it sleep a second time, it triggers a reboot
  • For OSX 10.9.0 & 10.9.1 + regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext from OSX.net ----> machine sleeps and wakes perfectly on demand
  • For OSX 10.9.2 + regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext from OSX.net ---->machine's display turns off when you invoke sleep but fans still run & bluetooth indicator remains on.  Cannot wake the machine with the power button in this state ie must do hard reset by pressing power button for >4secs.

@danofun, I did notice the same issue with CMOS reset when I tried the new hibernation feature (as well, USB devices were non functional on wake)....maybe best to report this to the developers in the Clover General Forum or Hibernation topic @ProjectOSX.

Edit: No more CMOS reset with Clover r2636 and 10.9.1 kexts & kernel but USB devices still not functioning on wake.  Personally, I still prefer suspend to RAM (hibernate mode=0) ---->faster & everything still works on wake.

@DarwinX + other XPSm1530 owners still using chameleon and upgraded to 10.9.2:  Does invoking sleep a second time still work fully for you in 10.9.2 with/without regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext

on my dell inspiron 1720(t7500,8600m gt,ich7), newest chameleon(with patched dsdt-thanks to fusion) it works with 10.9.2 original appleacpiplaform.kext...can invoke sleep many times...not sure if it helps you xps m1530 guys ;)

Thanks Mirko :).

Unfortunately the XPS m1530 looks like the odd one out here...from previous reports, the m1330 and Inspiron 1520, 1720 etc all have working sleep with the native Mavericks AppleACPIPlatform.kext.  For the m1530, you only get one successful sleep-wake cycle.

The regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext works perfectly for me in 10.9.0 & 10.9.1 but on my setup has a problem getting to sleep in 10.9.2.  I was just asking for feedback from other XPSm1530 owners with working sleep on 10.9.2 using chameleon to exclude an issue with Clover....

Anyway on the bright side, the XPSm1530 does have working shutdown compared to its siblings :P .

• Like 1

@mirko888,

Personally I prefer my desktop OS on a computer with mouse and keyboard for "productivity" and a separate low power device/tablet for "media consumption" and long battery life....

However if you have the spare cash, the surface 2 would make a very good and challenging hackintosh project.  You can show us some pictures/video when you have it up and running :D.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@LatinMcG, thanks for your suggestion - Do you mean to remove the Device (AGP) section or are you referring to nVidia injection?  My DSDT already has the nVidia section stripped out so relies on bootloader GraphicsInjection=Yes.

attachicon.gifDevice AGP.png

I couldn't find the string "VGA" in my DSDT....It would be nice if a dsdt fix could be found for the reboot on second sleep problem with the XPSm1530, using the native Mavericks AppleACPIPlatform.kext.....

To summarize the situation at present:  On my machine using Clover & DarwinX's DSDT for the XPSm1530

• For OSX 10.9.0->10.9.2+native AppleACPIPlatform.kext ----> machine goes to sleep & wakes successfully the first time you invoke sleep (through Apple menu or closing the lid) but when you try to make it sleep a second time, it triggers a reboot
  • For OSX 10.9.0 & 10.9.1 + regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext from OSX.net ----> machine sleeps and wakes perfectly on demand
  • For OSX 10.9.2 + regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext from OSX.net ---->machine's display turns off when you invoke sleep but fans still run & bluetooth indicator remains on.  Cannot wake the machine with the power button in this state ie must do hard reset by pressing power button for >4secs.

@danofun, I did notice the same issue with CMOS reset when I tried the new hibernation feature....maybe best to report this to the developers in the Clover General Forum.  Also have you tried mode 21?  Personally, I prefer the speed of suspend to RAM (hibernate mode=0).

@DarwinX + other XPSm1530 owners still using chameleon and upgraded to 10.9.2:  Does invoking sleep a second time still work fully for you in 10.9.2 with/without regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext

LatinMcG, I am in the same boat as Fusion71au.  My DSDT is DarwinX's latest, and already has the video removed, and I use GraphicsEnabler = Yes.

Fusion71au, I can say that sleep has stopped working for me altogether, regardless of which AppleACPIPlatform.kext I use.  I have tried the regressed kext, and it didn't change anything that I can see.  I still can't sleep.

All, new problem, seems to have started at the same time as my sleep stopped working.  I can no longer get into my mail settings panel in the preferences.app.  I keep getting this window, which I've never gotten before.

post-1036148-0-98061900-1394838912_thumb.png

Any ideas?  It's driving me crazy because I can't change certain settings that I need to.

<sigh>

@lulighttec,

You might have a corrupted Mavericks install - see njah's post in this discussion thread.  In Mavericks, the preference pane isn't called 'Mail, Contacts & Calendars' anymore, it's now called 'Internet accounts'

post-846696-0-57684700-1394860011_thumb.png

I've attached my functioning InternetAccounts.prefPane to this post but seeing your other issues, maybe a clean reinstall of Mavericks is in order ....

NB some Dell Laptop users @OSXlatitude also reported failure to sleep when using a regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext in 10.9.2 (only fixed by using the native 10.9.2 version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext) so it seems another work around needs to be found for the XPSm1530 for the reboot on second sleep issue.

InternetAccounts.prefPane.zip

@lulighttec,

You might have a corrupted Mavericks install - see njah's post in this discussion thread.  In Mavericks, the preference pane isn't called 'Mail, Contacts & Calendars' anymore, it's now called 'Internet accounts'

attachicon.gifSystem Preferences Mavericks.png

I've attached my functioning InternetAccounts.prefPane to this post but seeing your other issues, maybe a clean reinstall of Mavericks is in order ....

NB some Dell Laptop users @OSXlatitude also reported failure to sleep when using a regressed AppleACPIPlatform.kext in 10.9.2 (only fixed by using the native 10.9.2 version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext) so it seems another work around needs to be found for the XPSm1530 for the reboot on second sleep issue.

Your preference pane fixed that problem... thank you!  

As for the AppleACPIPlatform.kext... I tried going back to the original Mavericks version, and I should be more specific about the problem.  With this version, if I select sleep from the menu, the screen goes dark, but the laptop doesn't actually go to sleep.  As soon as I touch a key, it lights up and is ready to go.  It's more like it just blanks the screen.  However, if I close the lid, it goes to sleep, but when I open the lid, I hear things starting, but all I get is a black screen, as if it didn't wake all the way up.  Today it did something weird; while it was in that black screen state, I hit the eject button on the bezel and it ejected a CD I had been listening to before I tested the sleep function.  This says to me that perhaps the OS hadn't wakened even though the hardware had?  

Anyhow, with the regressed kext, selecting sleep from the menu or by closing the lid resulted in the incomplete wake-up with an added bonus that when I hold the power button and reboot, the keyboard doesn't work until I remove all power (battery included) and reboot again.  Yay!  

So all these sleep issues started to happen right after I tried playing around with clover on a thumbdrive.  That is the part that puzzles me the most.  I had it on a thumbdrive to make certain it didn't make changes to the HDD. <throws hands up>