Radeon HD 5870 / HD 5850

ixxxion

614 posts in this topic

I got an ATI 5850 and it works but without acceleration, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.0 haven't updated to 10.6.2 . It is running without kext so in VESA 3.0 mode, you can change resolution up to 1920x1200 but you will get underscan in all resolutions.

For having full hardware support we need Apple ships the newer Mac Pros with a 58xx card. Maybe we have to wait 2 months or so.

This card is fantastic, on Windows and Linux works very well in every res with detail to the max.

I got an ATI 5850 and it works but without acceleration, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.0 haven't updated to 10.6.2 . It is running without kext so in VESA 3.0 mode, you can change resolution up to 1920x1200 but you will get underscan in all resolutions.

For having full hardware support we need Apple ships the newer Mac Pros with a 58xx card. Maybe we have to wait 2 months or so.

This card is fantastic, on Windows and Linux works very well in every res with detail to the max.

Maybe sb should try with 10.6.2 - I hear there are new gpu supported... Im looking for full supported (not only vesa) gpu for graphic / video edit and sometimes games ;)

Maybe sb should try with 10.6.2 - I hear there are new gpu supported... Im looking for full supported (not only vesa) gpu for graphic / video edit and sometimes games :D

New supported cards are the ones on the new iMacs I think. Most probably we'll see a 10.6.3 update when the new Mac Pros are out with support for the new cards (58xx the most likely)

To have a fully functional card with great gaming performance, what can I take now? I have a 4870 but not with 2x DVI so it's a pain to install it. I want a 4870 2x DVI or maybe look for something newer or Nvidia?

The best cards that can run Snow Leopard for now is GTX285 & GTX295. Obviously they are no match for current Ati HD58xx generation, but i'm sure that everything will run just fine on them!

YEP !

I would also recommend to buy Nvidia cards for hackintoshs.

Even the working (48xx) ATI cards make much mork and are NOT!! save to "overlife" an later ATI driver Update.

The nvidia Apple drivers seems to be complete different (much less driver parts as ATI) and can be make working much, much easier (DSDT, EFI ) than ATI (pain, pain + patching drivers + pain).

I had an ATI 3870 (good card but a PAIN in Leo /SL) . Then an NV 9600 GT and now an 8800GTX - both working without any patch of the drivers !

Last but not least : ATI GPUs 48xx have major problems to use/run SL OpenCL - ATI OpenCL part is buggy !!!

With Nvidia you can run OpenCL with much less problems and of course use CUDA (=does same as OpenCL) in Leopard 10.5 !!!!

Just received Sapphire HD 5850. Well, it did not work on my Mac Pro early 2008 in Snow Leopard. I was using GeForece 8800 GT for running SL, but having 2 different manufacturers on Windows 7 made none of them usable. So, I had to switch 8800 GT with Radeon HD 2600 Mac edition, to make it work.

Lesseons i've learned:

1) Do NOT mixt nVidia card with ATI, none of them will work under windows.

2) Unsupported HD 5850 sounds VERY loud in SL as it's cooler running at full speed and you cannot control it unless removed from MB.

3) If you use Apple Cinema Display, prepare to swap DVI on your cards every time you boot for play. If you have a monitor with multiple DVI inputs - you should be ok.

4) If you leave HD 5850 alone in your Mac Pro - you won't see anything, not even a boot screen.

5) No chance to soft-disable the HD 5850 from Snow Leopard

Hope it helps.

Edit:

Ah, just noted that his is Hackintosh forums. Ignore this one please.

HD 5870 installs fine. without kext. OS version 10.6.2.

Fan speed is somewhere in the middle.

MainBoard is ex58-ud5

Processor clocked to 4 ghz

Good to hear, but the same question goes here, Full supported or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Has no one had a whip round to buy Netkas a 5000 series yet? Dude we need you on the case ;)

Whats really annoying me is I can't even get the 1920x1200 everyone else is boasting so far, I get up to 1600x1200 max using boot flags (which then gets stretched on my monitors native 1920x1200)... But even crippled without CL, this card is so much smoother on screen compared to my last 4800...

I give warranty : Until February 2011 we will have 58xx Mac OS X support !

The February release date is a fictional date based on the release timeline of 10.5 updates... 10.5.3 was a major overhaul, and was only released a month after beta testing... 10.6.3 alpha builds were only supposed to go out during the first week of december and have been delayed...

Basically all us ATI owners will most likely be shafted again... Apple is so in bed with Intel, who practically control nVidia through SLI licensing sales, that neither will be busting a gut to support ATI... why do you think 'premium' apple products such as 24" imacs ship with low end '9400' (thats 9300 for all us PC users) graphics, helping a limping nVidia shift unwanted, underpowered stock at a premium price...

*ahem* rant over... listen to me getting all moral when we're nothing but hackers... :)

• 2 weeks later...