• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

lordofthedread

lordofthedread

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
In my last project with an i5 750 (the one you have inside the iMac)m my CPU is detected as a Xeon wich is not a real problem but i noticed something weird.

In iStats and Photoshop i have only 3 gigs ram adressed even if the system profiler shows 4 gigs....

2 different machines built and 2 get the same problem ... any idea ?

I wonder if changing the processor type will solve the problem, basically a Mac Pro got a 1356 (X58) chipset where the RAM works 3gigs by 3gigs on both of the systems i made (P55 and P45) since the processors is seen as a Mac Pro porocessor theres may be a connection between the ram problem and the processor detection.

Sorry if my english was not crystal clear ....

Thx

jannes3000

jannes3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Torq 1.5.2, Logic Studio 9.0.2, OS X86, weekends, pubs, friends, girls

In my last project with an i5 750 (the one you have inside the iMac)m my CPU is detected as a Xeon wich is not a real problem but i noticed something weird.

In iStats and Photoshop i have only 3 gigs ram adressed even if the system profiler shows 4 gigs....

I wonder if changing the processor type will solve the problem, basically a Mac Pro got a 1356 (X58) chipset where the RAM works 3gigs by 3gigs on both of the systems i made (P55 and P45) since the processors is seen as a Mac Pro porocessor theres may be a connection between the ram problem and the processor detection.

Thx

Well if you're on a 32-bit Snow Leopard / running 32-bit applications, 3 gigs of ram is the maximum that is recognized by the system... i think. Since you are on an Intel-Snow you can make Snow 100% 64-bit by adding arch=x86_64 to the Kernel Flags somewhere in the kernel. I've never done this (I'm on an AMD) and I'm not sure if Photoshop runs as 32-bit, but 3 GB sounds like "32-bit" alot.

cheers Jannes

lordofthedread

lordofthedread

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Nope my system is 64 bits....

Rereading iStats it shows 4Gb but Photoshop shows 3 ... Is theres a way to run it in 64 bits mode, or even to see wether it runs in 32 or 64 ?

Thx for answer

EDIT : My bad Photoshop runs in 32 bits no version in 64bits until CS5....

fishvic

fishvic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thx

I have the same problem with my I7 920. It also shows Xeon. And I have 6 GB installed, but istat and the boot process shows 4GB. But "about this mac" shows 6GB.
Somebody knows a solution?

Thx

atkailash

atkailash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried both the KEXT and SMBios and still get "Unknown" in the "About my Mac" and also Garage Band won't let me play the learn stuff. (Running an i5 650). I just upgraded to 10.6.2 but have to run an older Qoopz kernel, for some reason all the other kernels I've tried reboot-loop (but that's a separate issue.)

Using Chameleon RC4 684 and its boot (not netkas' pc_efi). Have tried both kext/smbios.plist at same time, and each individually.

Davirus

Davirus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Everything new and original
Any idea why Snow Leopard is not "runing" when I have both cores enabled?

with "running" i mean the system actually boot, but its really glitched and slow, also the "About this Mac" shows my Procesor info correctly, only the MHZ info is wrong.

Ironically the system runs ok and almost "smooth" when I disable "dual core" mode in the bios, but then the system will run only with 1 core =/
When I do this the "About this Mac" shows my procesor as "unkown"

achot

achot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
bonjour hy everyone y have a problem on my hp dv6-2130ef intel i5-430m wen i will install osx86 ipc 10.5.6 leohazard 10.6.2
when the apple logo com the system reboot only ideneb v1.1 work but y will install snow leopard pleas help me thanks...

achot

achot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
up :unsure:

Z4kW0lf

Z4kW0lf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
How can I get Snow Leopard to work in an Acer Aspire 5930?

Z4kW0lf

Z4kW0lf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Nobody can help me?

armrodnun

armrodnun

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
uahh, you guys know a lot about this X86 project....i don't anything about it but i would like to get into it

player2704

player2704

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
kool threads

cheers

Fetch1998

Fetch1998

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:wacko: Thanks! The Core 2 Solo finally shows up in Snow!

hakan gulenc

hakan gulenc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
thx

Butcher1969

Butcher1969

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
HI guys,

I have finally managed to get my Dual Xeon running 10.6.3 perfectly..

8 cores and 16 simultaneous Threads.. is awesome

Running 2 x W5580 Xeons on a Supermicro X8DAi Mobo.
Both Lan work and were both automatically recognized by SL.

I installed my PC EFI 10.6 to a small USB stick with the necessery Kexts that way my Installation is Pure Vanilla.
I only installed one Kext to HDD (Audio) even the NVEnablers for my GTX285 (was a pain in the A**) are on the usb Stick. Screen shot as proof attached.

I can warmly recommend these Supermicro Boards, no hassle works great.

Hmm, so now this is done I need a new project :(
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_04_26_at_1.45.51_PM.png   1.49MB   143 downloads

MrCynical

MrCynical

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for this thread!

sksatyajeet

sksatyajeet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
You can use OSX Tools for CPU detection. This is a powerful tool for installing .kext too.

xKrNMBoYx

xKrNMBoYx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much..i may end up needing this for the i3 cpu or the atom cpu

toyotascionxd

toyotascionxd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
would the hackintosh work only a certain brand of motherboard or brand of netbook. My friend has an acer netbook she wants to install hackintosh on that one. would that be possible?

Zetsu

Zetsu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
its weird because for some reason my cpu shows up as 3.0Ghz
i think its overclocking it every time i go on the mac side :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy