• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Jadas

Jadas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could someone explain what is each threshold value in Pref tab in PStateChanger ?

Thanks in advance,
Jadas.

MacKonsti

MacKonsti

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Guys, I know this is probably an abandoned thread, I was looking for a newer version of VoodooMonitor because on my new mobo using Gigabyte P55M-UD4 and Core i7-860, the VoodooMonitor.kext causes constant kernel panics whether on 32-bit or 64-bit loader/bootmode. I cannot use it at all and I really liked the tool on my previous Core2Quad mobo! Does anyone have a recommendation/advice or even suggest a replacement tool, if this is "dead"? Superhai's forum is well-shut-down... Thanks in advance.

Jadas

Jadas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Guys, I know this is probably an abandoned thread, I was looking for a newer version of VoodooMonitor because on my new mobo using Gigabyte P55M-UD4 and Core i7-860, the VoodooMonitor.kext causes constant kernel panics whether on 32-bit or 64-bit loader/bootmode. I cannot use it at all and I really liked the tool on my previous Core2Quad mobo! Does anyone have a recommendation/advice or even suggest a replacement tool, if this is "dead"? Superhai's forum is well-shut-down... Thanks in advance.

I think there is a program called cpu-i. Check applelife.ru .

MacKonsti

MacKonsti

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
CPU-i was the father of VoodooMonitor. CPU-i ended at version 1.0.3 while VoodooMonitor continued to version 1.0.7. I was hoping for an alternative tool as this version causes a KP constantly...

hnak

hnak

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Could someone explain what is each threshold value in Pref tab in PStateChanger ?

Thanks in advance,
Jadas.

If total CPU usage:
> threshold max -> switch to highest p-state (usually 0)
> threshold up -> switch to upper p-state
< threshold down -> switch to lower p-state
< threshold min -> switch to the lowest p-state.

indiandragon

indiandragon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Researcher

T7250 2Ghz with 7 (0-7) Pstates: 2000-1800-1600-1400-1200-1000-800-600. I disabled the EFI FSB in Info.plist, if its enabled, it gets wrong FSB - 183Mhz.

*With Coolbook it works fine with 600Mhz, the throttling level is set to very high.

With these settings it feels smooth.

scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:0.2

if(load > 0.95){	// up to highest
			 newState = 0;
		 } else if(load > 0.1){
			 if(newState > 0)
				 newState -= 1;
		 } else if(load < 0.1){
			 newState += 1;
		 } else if(load < 0.1){	// down to lowest
			 newState = _pstateCount-1;
		 }

So the App has to run to get these changed Settings?

Hi Riws,

Iam having the same Processor as you, T7250. My pstates are varying between 540MHz to 1881MHz in Voodoopower mini. If I use DSDT solution I get PStates between 720MHz and 1881MHz only. Can you share more info on your Pstates and your kexts ?

P.S - Iam running OSX Lion (64).

PineAppleApe

PineAppleApe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I use two X7DWT SuperMicro mobo's, ModbinCD and retail Snow Leo DVD to install OSX 10.6.3, updated BIOS to latest SuperMicro (mobo had deplorable dell bios on refurbish purchase). Comboupdated to 10.6.7 and figured out VoodooPState didn't load until I finally added kernel flag 'arch=i386' in the com.apple.Boot.plist (org.chameleon.Boot.plist). Both Xeons E5440 work as 32bit processors now. Well, the thing is that the screen goes blank when all cores are at 100% but wirhout power going off. I think the power supply is under voltage then. Want to use Superhai's VoodooPState.kext and PStateMenu / PStateChanger so that solves the problem by setting fixed frequency less than stock frequency.

What I want to say is VoodooPState.kext by Superhai works for me.

VoodooPState is still downloadable via the Sourceforge site. The PStateMenu or PStateChanger (choose one of them) app that is used to monitor and set the P-state behavior (fixed, conservative or on-demand) can be found via google and downloaded easily.

Put VoodooPState.kext in Extra/Extensions and then run Kext Utility by cVad (applelife.ru or torrentmac.ru) or run tonymacx86's ###### (check 'System Services' in it).

Add the following kernel tags in com.apple.Boot.plist (org.chameleon.Boot.plist):
GeneratePStates=Yes
GenerateCState=Yes
(do this best with the Property List Editor which is in your OSX 'Developer/Applications/Utilities' when X11 and Developertools are also installed - check your Apple retail dvd's for it)

The application that u chose to monitor and set P-state behavior (PStateMenu or PStateChanger) can be put anywhere however on the desktop is the most comfordable.

___

Why is M-ulti-Beast banned? I only see #####, is there an issue with their copyright.....er copyleft....I mean GPL licence handling lol 8)) ... yea, how they treat open source isn't quiet kosher, noticed that from day one as a supernoob back then: some sort of copyright notice and hidding files that were originally open source...

aphioner

aphioner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Hi Riws,

Iam having the same Processor as you, T7250. My pstates are varying between 540MHz to 1881MHz in Voodoopower mini. If I use DSDT solution I get PStates between 720MHz and 1881MHz only. Can you share more info on your Pstates and your kexts ?

P.S - Iam running OSX Lion (64).

I got the same problem that you have - missing p-states-. Have you fixed it?

aphioner

aphioner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I got the same problem that you have - missing p-states-. Have you fixed it?

Thanks for not replying.

I got all the power states working. All I did was to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and VoodooPstate.kext and install this specific version of VoodooPowerMini.kext (Version 1.2.49).

I don't know if it works with other CPUs but it get the job done on a Intel C2Duo P8700 laptop.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy