64bit p-state

hnak

131 posts in this topic

I use two X7DWT SuperMicro mobo's, ModbinCD and retail Snow Leo DVD to install OSX 10.6.3, updated BIOS to latest SuperMicro (mobo had deplorable dell bios on refurbish purchase). Comboupdated to 10.6.7 and figured out VoodooPState didn't load until I finally added kernel flag 'arch=i386' in the com.apple.Boot.plist (org.chameleon.Boot.plist). Both Xeons E5440 work as 32bit processors now. Well, the thing is that the screen goes blank when all cores are at 100% but wirhout power going off. I think the power supply is under voltage then. Want to use Superhai's VoodooPState.kext and PStateMenu / PStateChanger so that solves the problem by setting fixed frequency less than stock frequency.

What I want to say is VoodooPState.kext by Superhai works for me.

VoodooPState is still downloadable via the Sourceforge site. The PStateMenu or PStateChanger (choose one of them) app that is used to monitor and set the P-state behavior (fixed, conservative or on-demand) can be found via google and downloaded easily.

Put VoodooPState.kext in Extra/Extensions and then run Kext Utility by cVad (applelife.ru or torrentmac.ru) or run tonymacx86's ###### (check 'System Services' in it).

Add the following kernel tags in com.apple.Boot.plist (org.chameleon.Boot.plist):

GeneratePStates=Yes

GenerateCState=Yes

(do this best with the Property List Editor which is in your OSX 'Developer/Applications/Utilities' when X11 and Developertools are also installed - check your Apple retail dvd's for it)

The application that u chose to monitor and set P-state behavior (PStateMenu or PStateChanger) can be put anywhere however on the desktop is the most comfordable.

___

Why is M-ulti-Beast banned? I only see #####, is there an issue with their copyright.....er copyleft....I mean GPL licence handling lol 8)) ... yea, how they treat open source isn't quiet kosher, noticed that from day one as a supernoob back then: some sort of copyright notice and hidding files that were originally open source...

• 3 months later...

Hi Riws,

Iam having the same Processor as you, T7250. My pstates are varying between 540MHz to 1881MHz in Voodoopower mini. If I use DSDT solution I get PStates between 720MHz and 1881MHz only. Can you share more info on your Pstates and your kexts ?

P.S - Iam running OSX Lion (64).

I got the same problem that you have - missing p-states-. Have you fixed it?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same problem that you have - missing p-states-. Have you fixed it?

Thanks for not replying.

I got all the power states working. All I did was to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and VoodooPstate.kext and install this specific version of VoodooPowerMini.kext (Version 1.2.49).

I don't know if it works with other CPUs but it get the job done on a Intel C2Duo P8700 laptop.

VoodooPowerMini.kext.zip

• 3 years later...

Hello there, this project may be dead, but do you know how can it be working with skylike cpus?

I can see pstates, but can't switch them with PstateMenu.

It used to work with my oldie Athlon X2 220, haha, now switched to Intel and can't control pstates.

• 1 month later...