Lifehacker Guide with GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2370 replies to this topic

Poll: GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience (406 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you Booting SL

1. Stable - No Problems (196 votes [47.80%])

Percentage of vote: 47.80%

2. Stable - Minor Issues (142 votes [34.63%])

Percentage of vote: 34.63%

3. Unstable - Kernel Panics (26 votes [6.34%])

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

4. Not Booting (46 votes [11.22%])

Percentage of vote: 11.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
@Moze, I will gladly package up my current files but I did post them in this thread a while ago (Not at home currently).

@RC, personally I think it's time to ditch the Cartri BIOS and go with a manual install to give you full control and allow a smooth Lion transition.

HAVEC

HAVEC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've been working on a new Tonymac Hack and things haven't gotten any better as far as I'm concerned over our LH builds. The motherboard is the fairly well documented GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 f9 bios and a Mac native Asus 5770. I ended up buying Lion on a stick because I couldn't get the Applestore to let me download Lion on the EP45-UD3P most likely do to the Cartri DSDT free bios. I used ##### and the correct DSDT.aml specific for the MB and then ##### to install various drivers and utilities. The ##### installer works very well and I had Lion running in no time. However, no sound and sleep. (The system sleeps and wakes without any video). iPhoto crashes and the I don't get the right overclock speed in sys info. The 5770 worked right away with the correct 1920X1200 rez though. I tried loading my old 09 iLife and that doesn't seem to work. It installs but no applications anywhere. I'm not sure if the copy of iLife is limited because it's installed on the UD3P system.

So at the moment my Cartri Lifehacker system is the better system. I really liked the Cartri bios because after I flashed to it my system became much quieter. Presuambly, because speed-step works.

I would recommend before anyone goes to install Lion on their LH/Cartri machine that they make sure they can get back to where they started.

Also, since I am a Cartri bios user, I'm still not sure which Lion upgrade method I am going to use. I might try to use the Tony Mac Xmove method...

I think that you might be able to keep the Cartri bios with the ##### installer. The only requirements are that you have the board set for AHCI and HEPT 64. It's certainly worth a try.

RC

RC

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

I've been working on a new Tonymac Hack and things haven't gotten any better as far as I'm concerned over our LH builds. The motherboard is the fairly well documented GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 f9 bios and a Mac native Asus 5770. I ended up buying Lion on a stick because I couldn't get the Applestore to let me download Lion on the EP45-UD3P most likely do to the Cartri DSDT free bios. I used ##### and the correct DSDT.aml specific for the MB and then ##### to install various drivers and utilities. The ##### installer works very well and I had Lion running in no time. However, no sound and sleep. (The system sleeps and wakes without any video). iPhoto crashes and the I don't get the right overclock speed in sys info. The 5770 worked right away with the correct 1920X1200 rez though. I tried loading my old 09 iLife and that doesn't seem to work. It installs but no applications anywhere. I'm not sure if the copy of iLife is limited because it's installed on the UD3P system.

So at the moment my Cartri Lifehacker system is the better system. I really liked the Cartri bios because after I flashed to it my system became much quieter. Presuambly, because speed-step works.

I would recommend before anyone goes to install Lion on their LH/Cartri machine that they make sure they can get back to where they started.

I think that you might be able to keep the Cartri bios with the ##### installer. The only requirements are that you have the board set for AHCI and HEPT 64. It's certainly worth a try.

I appreciate the information, Havec.

Currently, it looks as though I'm going to sell my GTX460 and buy a used GTX285 and then worry about Lion.

CAPTBob

CAPTBob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As this thread seems to be slowly dying I thought I'd comment that I'm in no rush to move to Lion. My Lifehacker hack works great under the latest Snow Leopard release. I've got two real Macs running Lion (a late 08 MacBook Pro and a summer i7 BTO iMac) and I have to say I'm very underwhelmed by Lion. It's slow and unstable in my experience. In fact the IT folks here @ the U are calling Lion "Apple's Vista." Think I'll wait until 10.8 to build another hack.

HAVEC

HAVEC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

As this thread seems to be slowly dying I thought I'd comment that I'm in no rush to move to Lion. My Lifehacker hack works great under the latest Snow Leopard release. I've got two real Macs running Lion (a late 08 MacBook Pro and a summer i7 BTO iMac) and I have to say I'm very underwhelmed by Lion. It's slow and unstable in my experience. In fact the IT folks here @ the U are calling Lion "Apple's Vista." Think I'll wait until 10.8 to build another hack.

I agree with Lion being underwhelming at least as far as hackintosh's are concerned. As I said earlier the new Lion/Tonymac system that I put together is no where near as good as the old SL Lifehacker/Stella/Cartri system that I've running continuously for over 2 years. No way I'm ever going to switch to the newer Lion hack until a lot of things start working properly like iphoto for one. The new 2500K Z68 system at 4.3 Ghz is hot though. It runs Prime 95 32M in 9 seconds flat. Whereas the old system does it in around 12 seconds at 3.6 GHz.

We should keep the thread going out of a sense of pride if for nothing else.

Chris

j0seph

j0seph

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hopefully someone can help me here, I accidentally (updated iTunes it updated the OS as well to 10.6.8) and of course my sound is now dead.

Other than the sound not working ( no output devices shown ), 10.6.8 works perfect, and of course I can't rollback, no backup made...I know I know, not a good move.

Well with that said, hopefully the community can help.

So far I've tried,

(all done via Single User mode and restarting ignoring caches and running Kext Utility)
Rolling back AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7 (downloaded the combo update and stripped out the kext), didn't work.

Following this thread - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=140941
Tried this

1) vanilla AppleHDA.kext

+

LegacyHDA.kext

+

HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT w/ HDEF injection) for ALC889a/ALC885 - Didn't work

^ all that did was give me a boot loop at the loading screen

Anyone have any insight/thoughts on how I can fix my sound?

-Joe

konjow

konjow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Hopefully someone can help me here, I accidentally (updated iTunes it updated the OS as well to 10.6.8) and of course my sound is now dead.

Other than the sound not working ( no output devices shown ), 10.6.8 works perfect, and of course I can't rollback, no backup made...I know I know, not a good move.

Well with that said, hopefully the community can help.

So far I've tried,

(all done via Single User mode and restarting ignoring caches and running Kext Utility)
Rolling back AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7 (downloaded the combo update and stripped out the kext), didn't work.

Following this thread - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=140941
Tried this

1) vanilla AppleHDA.kext

+

LegacyHDA.kext

+

HDAEnabler.kext (or DSDT w/ HDEF injection) for ALC889a/ALC885 - Didn't work

^ all that did was give me a boot loop at the loading screen

Anyone have any insight/thoughts on how I can fix my sound?

-Joe

use Kext Helper b7 for AppleHDA kext and reboot. try few times as I had to do after supplement update

HAVEC

HAVEC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
This thread maybe dead but my Cartri/LH Hack sure isn't.

Olroc

Olroc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
EP45 UD3P ( too lazy to look at which rev....... :star_sunglasses: )

Im a super noob and havent really followed the forum in a bit, but with the release of Diablo 3 comin up I decided that I should try to update this old "buick"

Anyway this is for us noobs who are lazy like me and looking for a lil sound fix. (note find a way to get your 10.6.8 working......lazy.....)

-built his hack way back when.....updated to 10.6.8 last ight 5/8/2012 and had trouble with sound.

- scoured for a way to fix sound and found that there is zip pack a couple pages back (pg 111-118 somwhere.....lazy......itchy....tasty.....zombie......) that contains some 10.6.7 files.

- copied the the applehca.kext file into my /system/libraries/extentions/

- error message of noting my install was wrong.

- never using kext utility before, I decided to just go for it (not knowing that it actually did the magic on its own ( i know, I know. Im super late noob!)

- rebooted and found that the old sound choices in my settings were there and voila! sound fixed....

Prolly just a bunch of luck but i got my sound fixed.........Now I await diablo 3 (hopefully not run into any issues there.........

Peace hac com 1 = hackintosh community as one = lame = late night, sleepy, tired, out!

Olroc

HAVEC

HAVEC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Anybody still out there running this build? Over 3 years now and mine is flawless. I gave up with Lion Z68 project. Too much work and Lion isn't all that good.

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
I sure am HAVEC, in fact I am just in the process of moving over to Clover and it is still working great!

RC

RC

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Count me in as well. Though, I'm still running Snow Leopard. Haven't had the inclination to upgrade...though I probably will in the near future. This is my daily rig, so I don't want to muck things up.

Wowzer42

Wowzer42

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I am still using this setup, but I just upgraded to 10.6.8 and lost my sound. I've just applied the ALC889 and will restart to see if it works again.

EDIT: I've reapplied the v3 hack and it works just fine again.

HAVEC

HAVEC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I sure am HAVEC, in fact I am just in the process of moving over to Clover and it is still working great!

Hey D an W. What's "Clover"?

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
It's a replacement for Chameleon...

http://www.insanelym...ral-discussion/

http://www.insanelym...2-instructions/

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Using Clover I can install OS X 10.8.2 from an unmodified extracted InstallESD.dmg and fully install the OS having it also create a Recovery HD. Once booted, only AppleHDA needs patching to enable audio and there are just four kexts used in the Clover configuration.

Our hardware lives on folks!!!

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Whats the largest drive anyone as used as a storage only device on this motherboard (Not boot drive)?

My 2TB drive is getting ready for replacement and I wondered if a 3TB would work ok?

Tober

Tober

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Using Clover I can install OS X 10.8.2 from an unmodified extracted InstallESD.dmg and fully install the OS having it also create a Recovery HD. Once booted, only AppleHDA needs patching to enable audio and there are just four kexts used in the Clover configuration.

Our hardware lives on folks!!!

Hi, I screwed up on my SN build and decided just to 'go for it with Clover'. I've gotten it installed and it seems pretty solid. Only problem is I don't have sound or Internet. Can you advise with kexts are used to get there?

Also, have you found any active forums out there with our build on Mountain Lion?

Thanks,
Brandon

D-an-W

D-an-W

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
I use Mountain Lion 10.8.2

You need to patch AppleHDA.kext for sound (Same method as always) and I use Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext for the two onboard LAN ports.

Tober

Tober

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I use Mountain Lion 10.8.2

You need to patch AppleHDA.kext for sound (Same method as always) and I use Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext for the two onboard LAN ports.

Thanks D-and-W. I'm up and running now. When I tried to run 10.8.2 I couldn't get past the beach ball on the install, so I stepped down to 10.8.0 and it's running great. I'll probably wait until I have more time to commit to upgrade to the latest OS, but for now I'm happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy