• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

U just manage to change the cosmetics of System Profiler. Thats not how real macs report the name of the processor. I really dont know whats wrong. My hack doesnt report the processor name either but it works :/

Thanks again. I'm going to try posting this in another forum and see what happens.

gawkersucks

gawkersucks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The Office 2008 installer and the older version of the updater require Rosetta. Office itself is Intel.

When messing around with bootloaders in the past if I remember correctly I had an issue when the bootloader was hosed and my already installed CPU (VT-x) wasn't detected. Have you tried installing Chameleon on the SL partition and making that partition active?

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

The Office 2008 installer and the older version of the updater require Rosetta. Office itself is Intel.

When messing around with bootloaders in the past if I remember correctly I had an issue when the bootloader was hosed and my already installed CPU (VT-x) wasn't detected. Have you tried installing Chameleon on the SL partition and making that partition active?

Thanks but Office isn't really the issue. The easiest way to check is to try and install Silverlight. I get the 'Can't install on a PowerPC' message - simliar with Parallels and Fusion. All software can be installed with the well-documented workaround but it's the principle here. Something isn't right!
As I have said before, my 10.5.8 install (from the same boot partition) works perfectly and doesn't have this issue at all.

Beerkex'd

Beerkex'd

Content Provider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
Screenshot from my 10.5.8 vanilla install. Core 2 Duo E8500 @ stock freqs, all CPU features except CPUID Limit enabled in the BIOS, model identifier is iMac9,1. Using Chameleon 2.0 RC3.
Attached File  Huh.png   206.86KB   84 downloads
CPU-x and CPU-i shows everything correctly.
System Profiler shows neither "CPU features" nor "Processor Name", and the "Processor" pref pane from Xcode shows no CPU at all!

I have the same problem with the Silverlight installer thinking it's a PPC, and Adobe.com offering the PPC version of Shockwave.

Beto2k7

Beto2k7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well here is my screenshot from my 10.6.1 vanilla install also no, CPU Features (real macs dont display them anyway) no processor, name. CPU-x reports correct name. CHUD Processor Pref Pane Reports correct cpu family of Mac Pro 2,1. and so im happy :P

Attached File  Desktop.jpg   223.32KB   99 downloads

PS. Hey Beerkex'd can you post a link to cpu-i? Ive been looking for it but cant find it.

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

I have the same problem with the Silverlight installer thinking it's a PPC, and Adobe.com offering the PPC version of Shockwave.

Thanks for joining in. As we discussed earlier, I think the key to this is why does my 10.5.8 behave perfectly - Silverlight et al - install OK, but my retail Snow with the same boot partition doesn't.

Beto2K7: Did you look at my post on the Geekbenck thread? Essentially the question was 'how are you getting 7000 and 10800 for the same Q6600 @ 3 GHz as mine with approx. 4800 and 7500 for integer and floating point?

gawkersucks

gawkersucks

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Well here is my screenshot from my 10.6.1 vanilla install also no, CPU Features (real macs dont display them anyway) no processor, name. CPU-x reports correct name. CHUD Processor Pref Pane Reports correct cpu family of Mac Pro 2,1. and so im happy :)

Attached File  Desktop.jpg   223.32KB   99 downloads

PS. Hey Beerkex'd can you post a link to cpu-i? Ive been looking for it but cant find it.

CPU-i - Russian site you need to register to download.

http://www.applelife...F-snow-leopard/

Beto2k7

Beto2k7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately CPUi.kext made my system incredibly unstable and about 5 degrees hotter so i removed it.

@imacken IDK why I get higher scores than you. These are the kexts i have in my extra folder.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_09_22_at_2.09.42_PM.jpg   41.6KB   50 downloads

jimmyvau

jimmyvau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
I have the same problem with my Q6700. CPU-x and sysctl both report the correct cpu, however my About This Mac and System Profiler do not. I also have the same problem with Silverlight. I hope there is a way to get this fixed. So far it hasn't really affected me too much but I had everything working perfectly in Leo and would like the same in Snow.

asadev

asadev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
seems to be all the new quad 45nm processors that i have this problem.

jasjeet

jasjeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
im also having the same problem on my Q6600, About Mac says 3.47Ghz (real 3.4Ghz) and Unknown CPU.

Silverlight will not install, same PPC error thing.

...And its 65nm

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
silverlight can give error in installation even in real macs (google it)
don't trust it
run for example geekbench and u'll see that intel processor is reported (without any hack etc)
as for other software installation me installed a lot (logic,cs4,finalcut studio,iLife09 etc etc)

Beto2k7

Beto2k7

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Am i the only one not having this issue??? mmm weird... Everyone post how are you booting your SL install, (kexts, bootloader, etc)

imacken

imacken

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Am i the only one not having this issue??? mmm weird... Everyone post how are you booting your SL install, (kexts, bootloader, etc)

Ok, I boot my SL and Leo installs from a Chameleon RC3 partition. (Leo doesn't have this problem, BTW.)
Kexts and structure shown below. Only other is VoodoooHDA in S/L/E.
Attached File  screen.tiff   151.02KB   22 downloads

schnogg

schnogg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
This is an annoying problem. I am having it as well. I have the LifeHacker board, the GA-ep45-ud3p running a e8400. I used the lifehacker guide with the pkg installer. I just tried the fakesmc.kext form netkas, but I still get no processor name info in
system_profiler SPHardwareDataType -xml

slipttees

slipttees

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
i have q6660 show me unknown CPU !

howto fix ?

schnogg

schnogg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I'm starting to think that this might be fixed in DSDT. I just wish I knew enough about it to debug.

quixote

quixote

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Did anybody get to fix this problem?

schnogg

schnogg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Yeah it is quite confusing. I'm really hoping to make some sense of this issue. I don't see why system profiler doesn't just get the id information from the processor? How does the system profiler get this information?

jasjeet

jasjeet

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
i am too looking for a fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy