Marc's Mac OSx86 Installation Guide

MarcConnor

7 posts in this topic

Alright, there have been quite a lot of guides I have read, but I've spend almost a full day trying to install this OS, but still had quite a problem with it. I, through this guide, strive to provide you with the easiest way to install and use Mac OSx86.

Pre-Download

Before downloading, you must partition your hard disk. You can do so with PartitionMagic. A wonderful program for managing disks and partitions. When partitioning, make sure that it is primary, and nothing else. Once you have partitioned your hard disk, please continue to the next step.

The Download

The easiest step ever. You can download this Operating System, from your favorite torrent website such as the bay. Please note that this is theft, and does violate some restrictions, and is 100% Illegal, so please do it at your own risk. The file to look for is "tiger-x86-flat.bz2". You can download it with a bittorrent client; I recommend uTorrent.

The Install

Once you've downloaded the file, extract its contents to the root of your partition with WinRAR's latest release. While extracting, on the "Advanced" tab, choose the "Do not extract paths" option. Once that's done, download and burn the Ubuntu Live CD. Once you get all this done, please continue to the next step.

Ubuntu

Insert your Ubuntu CD, and restart. It should boot into the CD. If it does not, boot from your PCs BIOS by holding F2 while rebooting, and navigate to the startup options, and change the option to boot to CD first, then hard disk. When you boot to Ubuntu, keep pressing return, and eventually when the GUI loads up, go to the Administrative Tools (Sorry if the name is wrong, but I can't remember what it's called. It's to the left of Firefox) and then to Users and Groups. In there, check the checkbox that allows you to show all users. Then, change the root password. Go back to the Administrative Tools, and Login Screen Settings (Once again, can't remember). Then on the security tab, check the checkbox that allows root to login. Then, open a new login, and login as root. Once logged in, go to Applications > Terminal, and type in "cfdisk". Then, choose your partition, and change the Type to "AF", and then Write. Reboot back to ubuntu, go through the users and groups setting, and the Login Screen settings mentioned above, and then login as root. Then go to Administrative tools, and disk manager. There, choose your hard disk, and on the partitions tab, select your partition, and note the name. It should be something like "/dev/hda3". Choose a path (I prefer desktop) and mount it there. Then open a Terminal, and type "cd Desktop" (Without the quotes, and where Desktop is where you mounted the drive). Then type in "dd bs=512 skip=63 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda6" (Without quotes, and where hda6 is your partition number). Wait for a while, and it should say "Some records in, some records out". That's it for ubuntu. You can now continue to the next step.

Adding the dual boot

Now, download "chain0" from here. Put it in the root of your XP drive or partition (probably C:). Add the following line in boot.ini.

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

You're Done!

Restart, and in the bootloader, choose Mac OS X. Press a key, and in the boot options, write "-F" to start without following the boot configuration. Congratulations! You can now run a Mac OS X on your PC! However, sometimes you may get an error that reads "Error parsing plist fileLoading Darwin/x86", in which case you must first format the partition with PartitionMagic, and then follow everything from the ubuntu step once again.

In conclusion, I would like opinions on this Mac OSx86 installation guide, and if I go wrong somewhere, please tell me where, and I will fix it.

With Regards,

Marc Connor

I don't think the message board operators want links to the bay here; especially in a post that also provides the file name that one would download. Your post would be less likely to get osx86project.org into trouble if you just say "your favorite torrent site, such as the bay or the demon".

Since this is a guide, it belongs in the Genius Bar. Maybe a mod can move it for you.

And also, your guide is for 10.4.1. That versions is very old now, and not many apps work for it anymore. I don't think many people want an older version if they can get a newer one just as easily.

Then type in "dd bs=512 skip=63 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/hda6" (Without quotes, and where hda6 is your partition number). Wait for a while, and it should say "Some records in, some records out".

With Regards,

Marc Connor

bs=32256 skip=1, will speed thing up some what but still skip the same first part of the drive.

free30

• 2 weeks later...

This guide works.

A few tips for using ubuntu.

Just open up a terminal.

Then type sudo bash.

This gives you a root shell. Now you can run everything you need - fdisk, cfdisk, dd, etc.

Chaning the password on a live cd is kinda moot.